So if RooneyRule applies to Saturday, then what about Wilks?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
All you have to do is interview a non white coach Wilkes is black if you interview him that satisfies the “rule”

IMO the Rooney Rule is negative and racist in it self. Most of the time an NFL team already knows who they are going to hire before any interviews are conducted and it can be awkward for some non white coaches knowing the only reason they are being interviewed is to satisfy the rule. In this day and age NFL teams want the best candidate regardless of skin color. In an effort to appear you are not racist the opposite happens

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The practical effect this will have is to push Wilks to interview with other teams and if successful the Panthers get a third round comp pick.

So if they were the ones who resurrected him, why can’t they themselves get that same draft pick?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
All you have to do is interview a non white coach Wilkes is black if you interview him that satisfies the “rule”

IMO the Rooney Rule is negative and racist in it self. Most of the time an NFL team already knows who they are going to hire before any interviews are conducted and it can be awkward for some non white coaches knowing the only reason they are being interviewed is to satisfy the rule. In this day and age NFL teams want the best candidate regardless of skin color. In an effort to appear you are not racist the opposite happens
Bingo. The idea that a black coach can't succeed without whitey's help is racist and demeaning. In today's NFL, a black coach can't know if the coaching interview he is being invited to is because the team is really interested in him or because they have to check off a box, unless he is the second black coach to be interviewed. THAT is the unintended consequence of supposed anti-racist racism.

And that whole idea that "it gets their name out there" is utter BS as well. Leslie Frazier was interviewed at least five times that I remember before he ever got a HC job. One of those interview was with the Seahawks before they officially hired Pete. Did Leslie Frazier need help getting his name out there? What I remember about that was that we had to convince the Fritz Pollard Alliance that the interview was legit or they wouldn't sign off on the Seahawks interview of a black candidate to satisfy the Rooney Rule. So whatever we told them, they bought it; Frazier got a sham interview and a free lunch in Seattle, and we hired Pete. SMH

KinesProf

Reaction score
Wilks isn't mentioned in the article, but I would imagine that when he conducts his interview with the Panthers front office after the season that it will satisfy the parameters of the rule. I certainly think he should be given an opportunity to interview for and to potentially keep the job.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
NFL teams want the best candidate regardless of skin color.

You are naive if you think it's that simple.

The system is biased towards whites. It's much, much, much eaiser to rise up through the ranks as a white person. See: Kyle. Sean. Saturday, Brandon S, Hackett, Daboll, etc etc. Shoot, Saturday just went straight to the HC position without any prior coaching experience on any level.

A black person on the other hand would never, ever, ever have the opportunity that Saturday did. Furthermore, black coaches need to be overqualified in order to move up the ranks.

It's similar to how NASA said that the astronaut application process was open to females in the early 60s. They could say that and be confident no female would be in the program because one of the requirements was that candidates be test pilots, and all the pilot schools at the time did not accept female applicants.

It's almost similar in the NFL, in that the pool of coaching candidates is mostly white because of how the system is structured. It's called structural racism.

I know some folks on here are going to cry about my post when in reality, they're showing their white fragility.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
You are naive if you think it's that simple.

The system is biased towards whites. It's much, much, much eaiser to rise up through the ranks as a white person. See: Kyle. Sean. Saturday, Brandon S, Hackett, Daboll, etc etc. Shoot, Saturday just went straight to the HC position without any prior coaching experience on any level.

A black person on the other hand would never, ever, ever have the opportunity that Saturday did. Furthermore, black coaches need to be overqualified in order to move up the ranks.

It's similar to how NASA said that the astronaut application process was open to females in the early 60s. They could say that and be confident no female would be in the program because one of the requirements was that candidates be test pilots, and all the pilot schools at the time did not accept female applicants.

It's almost similar in the NFL, in that the pool of coaching candidates is mostly white because of how the system is structured. It's called structural racism.

I know some folks on here are going to cry about my post when in reality, they're showing their white fragility.
That’s a bunch of crap for the most part getting into coaching is a tough gig and you have to work your ass off with networking many have to start on the high school level and work for very little or on a volunteer basis a fair amount of them were over achievers that had to work twice as hard as another player who was a better athlete.

The Jeff Saturday situation is a poor example everybody knows Jim Irsay is crazy and shouldn’t be an owner I didn’t agree with the selection but it was just an interim job and no rules apply. The funny thing is the Colts are playing better since the change