The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

hannibalking

Reaction score
sutz":1o0m49mx said:
Is it just me, or has the umping really sucked this year so far?

Can't remember this much inconsistancy in the balls and strikes calls.

:34853_doh:

Definitely seems extra horrible to me this year. Though they have been consistent in one area at least, calling balls half a foot off the plate away as strikes. The worst part to me so far is the couple of times already where a runner failed to even touch the base/plate and being called safe.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":b704t2q8 said:

Yeah tonight was pretty horrible, Shannon even called them out on the postgame show.
It’s been trending the wrong way for a few years now.

sutz

Reaction score
Helluva game, though. Dunn battled all the way, yet in the end he kept us in the game through 5.

Haniger with that towering homer in the 10th. Thing of beauty.

:snack:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2zl756es said:
Helluva game, though. Dunn battled all the way, yet in the end he kept us in the game through 5.

They made the most of their 3 hits.
Still could use more offense. Seager and Trammell can’t seem to hit their way out of a wet paper bag of late.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":28gpo4v0 said:
sutz":28gpo4v0 said:

Still could use more offense. Seager and Trammell can’t seem to hit their way out of a wet paper bag of late.
Can't argue that point. When only a couple of guys are your whole offense, if they struggle the whole team does. Almost end of April. Time for the "slow starters" to get going. Can't really blame Lewis with all the time he missed.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If they can split the next two series, my confidence in this team will be the highest it's been in 20 years.

It would mean the rebuild has been worth it

Threedee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3itwyqdk said:
sutz":3itwyqdk said:

To be fair to Seager, he was clearly swinging for the fence on all three strikes of that final at-bat. He probably figured that a three-run lead should carry the game, but, if not, then two more was a worthwhile pursuit, rather than just trying to extend the inning.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1994gwkl said:
sutz":1994gwkl said:

Yeah tonight was pretty horrible, Shannon even called them out on the postgame show.
It’s been trending the wrong way for a few years now.

That's one of the things that keeps me from being able to enjoy baseball fully. I don't understand the resistance to using technology to fix that part of the game once and for all. Every single pitch can be called correctly without the limitations of an ump who either can't see a particular pitcher well, or who simply plays favorites...

Let the machines call balls and strikes, or at the very least be available to help. I would even settle for the pitcher or batter being able to challenge a called ball/strike, making the ump check it electronically for those people that are against taking "the human element" out of the game.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Just when Seager is hitting again, he goes and gets thrown at out 3rd from 1st on a White mash off the monster in LF. What the hell was he thinking. Killed the threat in the 5th.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Lots to be excited about with the direction of this team. However, Yusei should not be a part of that direction. He's just not good. He makes me long for the days of Silva Baseball again.

I can't imagine they'd be willing to pick up his 4th year option, and they shouldn't. I'd rather see them move on ASAP and see what they have in one of the kids.

Threedee

Reaction score
The broadcasters have drawn my attention to the fact that Evan White won a gold glove last year. Aside from Cano and Seager, it has been painful to watch terrible Seattle defenses over the past decade. I would love to see it return to peak 1992-2005ish form.

This franchise has had Vizquel, Wilson, and Beltre (greatest, greatest, and third-greatest all-time defensively at their positions). It saw phenomenal defensive players such as Griffey, Cameron, Suzuki, Olerud, Bell, and many others. Even Boone was a gold glover.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":2idyssod said:
The broadcasters have drawn my attention to the fact that Evan White won a gold glove last year. Aside from Cano and Seager, it has been painful to watch terrible Seattle defenses over the past decade. I would love to see it return to peak 1992-2005ish form.

This franchise has had Vizquel, Wilson, and Beltre (greatest, greatest, and third-greatest all-time defensively at their positions). It saw phenomenal defensive players such as Griffey, Cameron, Suzuki, Olerud, Bell, and many others. Even Boone was a gold glover.
Looks like Seager is warming up, he hit 2 balls today that are HR’s in any other park.
I’m seriously loving watching Ty France hit right now. What were the Padres thinking when they traded him here?
Haggerty man not be odd man out when JK eventually gets called up if he keeps hitting and Trammell keeps struggling.

Flexen has been a huge surprise. Nice gem he pitched today.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3jnfi0y5 said:
Threedee":3jnfi0y5 said:

Looks like Seager is warming up, he hit 2 balls today that are HR’s in any other park.
I’m seriously loving watching Ty France hit right now. What were the Padres thinking when they traded him here?
Haggerty man not be odd man out when JK eventually gets called up if he keeps hitting and Trammell keeps struggling.

Love seeing Seager hit well. You're right, he would've had the cycle today if it were in any other park.

I love me some Sam Haggerty. He reminds me of Shawn O'Malley a bit. Big park plug. His fielding might now be as good as O'Malley's, but his bat is much better. He's definitely making the most of his opportunities, unlike Moore and Trammell. Trammell looks like he's just guessing at this point. He's dejected and it's written all over his face. He's not ready. I don't see how they can justify keeping Moore/Trammell around over Kelenic. We'll never know if he's ready or not unless they give him a shot.
Can't be any worse than what Trammell and Moore are giving you.

Flexen looks good, man. Really good. Big surprise. He was locked in today, and has been for the majority so far. He had that one bad game against the Twins, but has been more than rock solid in every other start.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Great game today..
Thepeel-I don't know if you knew besides White that Crawford and Lewis also won gold gloves.
But yeah when you think back it has been awhile since we had multiple winners before last season.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
IndyHawk":22gelnjx said:
Great game today..
Thepeel-I don't know if you knew besides White that Crawford and Lewis also won gold gloves.

Of course. Also, Seager has a gold glove from once upon a time. This squad is littered with elite defense.

sutz

Reaction score
Haniger is an all-star, which is kind of "gold glove adjacent" too. :twisted:

Threedee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ceix0g3m said:
Threedee":ceix0g3m said:

Padres are basically focused on their starting pitching staff. Probably a result of playing in the NL West. Worked out for us, though.

Threedee

Reaction score
IndyHawk":109qe40m said:
Great game today..
But yeah when you think back it has been awhile since we had multiple winners before last season.

That is great to see.