The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2yfd95k6 said:
getnasty":2yfd95k6 said:
Kelenic needs to be brought up like yesterday. The kid is a stud with tons of confidence. Even if he were to struggle i just don't see it getting to him like a Zunino or Ackley. Kelenic has to much swag.
Yep. Confidence or being over matched won’t be a problem.

To quote Bob Uecker in the movie Major League... “Two ****ing hits?”

And Seager had them both. Seems like some players are feeling a little too comfortable @ the MLB level.
Time to start shipping non preforming butts to Tacoma or the alternate site.
I agree with this but who are the hitters that just can't do it
in April?You see guys struggle and then they are ok.
I'm not saying it is all the guys but maybe a couple- just saying.
Anyway I was down on Haggerty but now I think he should
stay and Trammel?The speed and defense are positives that
maybe being more patient is called for.
On the pitching end I look at this season as roll with what we got.
Who can we bring up to start that is better?Maybe in a month or
two we will have our future star shine in the minors.

sutz

Reaction score
AAA won't start til next week. Once it gets going we'll know a little more about Kelenic and the pitching prospects. Playing practice games and mock games against your teammates don't tell you a lot. At least AAA is real competition against fellow players fighting for future roster spots.

The whole covid/baseball situation over the last year has really screwed our young guys. Can't wait til they get vaxxed and shit starts getting back to normal.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":3kt2z8ci said:
AAA won't start til next week. Once it gets going we'll know a little more about Kelenic and the pitching prospects. Playing practice games and mock games against your teammates don't tell you a lot. At least AAA is real competition against fellow players fighting for future roster spots.

The whole covid/baseball situation over the last year has really screwed our young guys. Can't wait til they get vaxxed and shit starts getting back to normal.
Which is why JK a should have made the team out of ST.
They knew the minor leagues would start late, this shouldn’t have been a surprise to the M’s org.

You (generally speaking) can say it’s only ST but he had the highest OPS on the team and everyone else was hitting against the same pitching. Playing arbitration games is going to bite this team in the ass, it already has short term IMHO, and will long term when JK refuses to sign an extension.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Omfg, tonight's game is a complete meltdown.

The bullpen stunk tonight, dumb errors in bad situations. What an awful 8th inning.
Same ol Mariners. We suck

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":x4wvd629 said:
No gold glove for Evan White this season. Learn how to throw a baseball, or something.
Yep Evan White can’t make a basic throw down to 2nd base and the bullpen implodes after that.
Cannot give a team like Houston 5 outs in an inning and expect to go unscathed.

Threedee

Reaction score
Maulbert":1htwitut said:
Y'know, if you don't have any expectations to begin with, these chuckleheads can't break your heart. The other shoe will ALWAYS drop, eventually. Just accept it.

Well, sure. We all knew the first month of the 2019 season was an hilarious fluke, but, we enjoyed the ride. People should still be able to have single-game expectations. Especially when a game is lost due to little league fundamentals, like accurately throwing a ball less than 90 feet. If the Asterisks had simply teed-off on our pitching during that inning, no one's expectations would have been too high.

sutz

Reaction score
Nice win in the getaway game, at least. YK throws a gem, one hit through 7. Pen regains its form to lock down the 1 -0 win.

:irishdrinkers:

sutz

Reaction score
And now Marco goes on the IL with forearm pain. :34853_doh:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
How are we feeling about this team? I haven’t watched a lot of them, but I think their record feels about right. This team feels like a .500 team. Can’t see them making the playoffs with the starting rotation that they have. Paxton is done. Sheffield looks like a bust. Not sure what to make of Kikuchi, think he makes a fine 3 or 4 starter. Marco has had a rough start, but he is not an ace. I like Dunn, think he has great potential. Feels like we need a true ace (maybe Gilbert), and another starter or two.

Offense is all over the place, but got to think we will be fine once Haniger gets healthy and Kelenic joins the team.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":386qfbds said:
How are we feeling about this team? I haven’t watched a lot of them, but I think their record feels about right. This team feels like a .500 team. Can’t see them making the playoffs with the starting rotation that they have. Paxton is done. Sheffield looks like a bust. Not sure what to make of Kikuchi, think he makes a fine 3 or 4 starter. Marco has had a rough start, but he is not an ace. I like Dunn, think he has great potential. Feels like we need a true ace (maybe Gilbert), and another starter or two.

Offense is all over the place, but got to think we will be fine once Haniger gets healthy and Kelenic joins the team.

Kyle Lewis is the only position player that's any good right now.
Wish they'd bring up Kelenic and eventually Julio Rodriguez and see what's there.
Justin Dunn and Marco are the only pitchers I like. I like the bullpen, they've been suprisingly the best part of the team so far.

The hitting still sucks. Idk why our plate discipline is always such a struggle. Lewis is the only player that I trust to hit the ball when he swings. The rest of them are expendable. I can't wait for Seager's contract to end. Haniger should've been traded a couple years ago. Yes, he started fast, but now he's hurt again. I say if we can get a prospect, take it.

Crawford is inconsistent. White can't hit. France is a temporary player.

So, all said, I'm still luke warm on the team. Dipoto has got them going in the right direction, and the farm system is worth getting excited about, but there's a lot of work left.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jerhawk":23cj1dq2 said:
Hawk-Lock":23cj1dq2 said:

Kyle Lewis is the only position player that's any good right now.
Wish they'd bring up Kelenic and eventually Julio Rodriguez and see what's there.
Justin Dunn and Marco are the only pitchers I like. I like the bullpen, they've been suprisingly the best part of the team so far.

The hitting still sucks. Idk why our plate discipline is always such a struggle. Lewis is the only player that I trust to hit the ball when he swings. The rest of them are expendable. I can't wait for Seager's contract to end. Haniger should've been traded a couple years ago. Yes, he started fast, but now he's hurt again. I say if we can get a prospect, take it.

Crawford is inconsistent. White can't hit. France is a temporary player.

So, all said, I'm still luke warm on the team. Dipoto has got them going in the right direction, and the farm system is worth getting excited about, but there's a lot of work left.
Agree with most of that, though I do think France is the real deal and eventually Seagers replacement. I think Haniger will be dealt for pitching at some point. JK needs to be brought up now, and maybe others to follow. I think White and Trammell both could use some AAA seasoning even if it’s just a short stint.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":26xgkdg5 said:

The Mariners usually play well in April/May by July their season is over. I see the same thing happening this year. May be even sooner as their starting pitchers are getting hurt. Improving starting pitching has been problem for DiPoto. He hasn't done it since he arrived. Teams with top pitching and defense but average hitting do better than teams that can hit and have no pitching or defense. Unfortunately the M's can do neither. They have poor hitting, defense, and pitching. I'd be shocked if they are anywhere near .500 by the end of the season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1sl3d4d3 said:
Hawk-Lock":1sl3d4d3 said:

The Mariners usually play well in April/May by July their season is over. I see the same thing happening this year. May be even sooner as their starting pitchers are getting hurt. Improving starting pitching has been problem for DiPoto. He hasn't done it since he arrived. Teams with top pitching and defense but average hitting do better than teams that can hit and have no pitching or defense. Unfortunately the M's can do neither. They have poor hitting, defense, and pitching. I'd be shocked if they are anywhere near .500 by the end of the season.
As much as I want to disagree, I can’t.
That is why I feel Haniger will be dealt for pitching sometime this season.
Will it be enough? Maybe with the combo of young arms on the cusp that are in the minors now?

sutz

Reaction score
Well, at least we saw some life from the back end of the batting order last night. Will it keep up? Who knows, but Dylan Moore has played well before, as has Murphy.

Would hate to see Haniger go, but we'll have like 6 top outfielders if/when Kelenic and Rodriguez get called up. Something will definitely have to give then.

I try not to worry too much about how they're doing in April. April is over. May/June is when people start showing if they're the real deal or not.

Chapow

Reaction score
8-0 with 2 outs in the 2nd inning. Newsome is throwing batting practice out there and the Angels are teeing off. Yikes.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Good game today..Ugly offense still but great BP..Vest and Graveman 0.00 era

Hanjag

Reaction score
I think we should have a complete forum for the Mariners.

There would appear to be at least a few Hawks fans that like to talk baseball as well.

The M's appear to have a strong BP with J Kelenic outfielder coming up soon and most likely starting pitcher Logan Gilbert. Kelenic is a top 10 prospect in most publications. Logan Gilbert is a top 50 rated prospect. Cal R. is a catching prospect and an organizational top 10 and near top 100 prospect he is the 3rd real threat to be an impact rookie other than BP guys.

Early season stats are a strange small sample size and all. The M's are currently 16 and 13 and doing so with really 3 regulars hitting well Seager, Haniger, France. Jt Crawford is a Gold Glove defender and average hitter. 8 semi-regulars have batting averages under 200. I expect regression to the mean to happen at some point but it is crazy how slow the bats are to get going.

Some of the guys I expect to heat up Moore, Lewis, Murphy to name a few. But if the M's are to remain in the playoff hunt I expect Kelenic, Gilbert, and maybe even Cal Raleigh to help out.

Moore walks 10%+ of the time, and he basically slugs ISO .200 so that combo is an extremely high floor for a guy that can play any none Catcher position. Plus he steals bases pretty well. A Mariner version of Ben Zobrist?