The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Trade your best reliever with an under 1 era, for a guy with a 7 plus era and a player I’ve never heard of.
Sounds like a salary dump (Montero’s) by Seattle.

Edit: just looked at Toro’s numbers .211, 6 HR, 20RBI. Seattle had plenty of guys like that.
Like to hear Jerry explain how this made the Mariners a better team.
Gave your division leader a very good closer, and didn’t help Seattle besides saving a million dollars in salary (Montero’s)
Jerry got fleeced.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just dont' get it.. Asstros have been DESPERATELY looking for relief help all season.. it was obvious last night, and we just give him the best MBL setup man for 1977 change. This I hope is a prelude to something better.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think we are seeing a let down over the trade after what should have been a huge momentum swing for us.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Is everyone sitting down? Kelenic just hit a 2 RBI single in the bottom of the 6th! Pinched myself and it hurt, so nope, not dreaming.

beastalamode

Reaction score
I can't believe that trade, just totally stunned. I am proud to say I haven't given this team a dime since the game where Griffey came to town and hit 2 homers when he was with the reds, and moves like todays is the reason why.

This trade is just the pinnacle of stupidity when you consider the players involved, the team involved, and the TIMING. We are right in the middle of playing these guys! You couldn't have waited 2 effing days?!?

Edit: this post needs a jeremypivengettheeffout.gif

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Almost another great comeback tonight by the Seaha- I mean Mariners.

That trade was awful. Do they not want to make the playoffs?
Who's next to go? Hanniger?

Jase

Reaction score
I know I don't know much about baseball but what I seem to perceive makes this a terrible move. Please, someone.... Tell me this was smart.

No? No one?

Jase

Reaction score
I know I don't know much about baseball but what I seem to perceive makes this a terrible move. Please, someone.... Tell me this was smart.

No? No one?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
It was a dumb trade and hurt the momentum for today. Hopefully win tomorrow.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one who didnt hate that trade I don't love it either we have to wait and see how it plays out. Also keep in mind it's very rare in baseball to bring back the exact same bullpen year by year. Ms still need help bottom of the line up could Toro give us .250?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I like the Tyler Anderson trade. We needed a starting pitcher. If we want to make a run at the playoffs, we can’t send a random bullpen guy every fifth game.

I understand the Graveman deal, I just don’t like it. Sounds like Toro will play a lot at second for us. How good he is? We will find out. Graveman was likely gone after this year, so this shows that the plan is still for the future. I’m all for giving up Graveman for a position we are weak at, but feel like we could have got someone better. Maybe Toro will be great, but his small sample in MLB looks a lot like what we already have.

Should be an interesting few days. I’m expecting a lot of trades, also think we trade for a reliever to fill the Graveman loss. Heard the clubhouse was pretty upset before the game when they heard the news. Not a fan of trading him within the division and the timing.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Trea Turner rumbling.. he would be a huge addition, but.. now he's covid protocol.. Not sure if that will influence anything.

sutz

Reaction score
Losing Graveman hurts, but the good side is we foisted Montero off on them too. :mrgreen:

Toro looks like another utility infield guy. Don't we have a couple of those already? Oh well.

I think these trades were meant to kind of work together. Lose a reliever, gain a starter in Anderson. DiPoto saying he's not done yet. Hope he doesn't go too crazy.

Props to Kelenic, and not just for the hit. That double play he initiated was all star level stuff. First the diving catch that a lot of guys wouldn't have been able to reach, then to jump up and double the guy off second was nails. It helped that it was slow assed Maldonado, but still a dynamite play.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely pathetic trade. Yeah, let's send our best reliever to the best team in the division. For a box of onions basically.

getnasty

Reaction score
The trade was made for the future and not this year. Toro could end up being a stud that they have control on for the next four years. Tough message to send to the team but i don't hate it long term. As much as we hope this is the year it's not maybe the playoffs but that's as far as there getting.

chris98251

Reaction score
getnasty":kzy5hwzn said:
The trade was made for the future and not this year. Toro could end up being a stud that they have control on for the next four years. Tough message to send to the team but i don't hate it long term. As much as we hope this is the year it's not maybe the playoffs but that's as far as there getting.

Thats the same lame line we have heard for 20 years.

At some point to be a competitor you have to keep your talent and yes, pay them .

getnasty

Reaction score
chris98251":1ijwpnak said:
getnasty":1ijwpnak said:

Thats the same lame line we have heard for 20 years.

At some point to be a competitor you have to keep your talent and yes, pay them .

Hard to disagree but Gravemen has a lifetime era of 4.5 more losses then wins and is gonna be expensive in the offseason. Like i said sucks for this year.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Gave up 8+ runs in all 3 games vs Houston.

They're a good hitting ballclub but c'mon pitching staff let's get it together

Chapow

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of players are straight up pissed off.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... joe-smith/

Mariners players feel ‘betrayed’ after team trades Kendall Graveman to Astros

...Less than 24 hours after an improbable 11-8 come-from-behind victory over the Houston Astros, which included overcoming a 7-0 deficit in the third inning, a go-ahead grand slam from Dylan Moore and the benches nearly emptying after J.P. Crawford was hit by a pitch, all the good feeling from the best win of the season was replaced by confusion, anger and frustration at the Mariners front office...

...The vibe on the field before Tuesday’s game was expectedly subdued. The early work from the position players lacked the typical emotion and energy. Many disappeared into the clubhouse immediately.

“An hour ago, it was great,” said one player. “It was probably better than it’s ever been. And now, it’s the worst.”

Multiple pitchers emerged from the clubhouse with tears still in their eyes from saying goodbye to Graveman.

“You should’ve seen it earlier,” said a veteran player about the initial reaction.

Several players opted not to speak on the record about the move, but their anger was palpable. Sources said equipment was broken and smashed while one player “went absolutely mad.”

“Betrayed” was a word used often.

“Are you (expletive) kidding me?” said the same player. “It never changes. They don’t care about winning. How do you trade him and say you care about winning? And you trade him to Houston? It never changes.”...

...Dipoto admitted that the trade could disrupt the chemistry in the clubhouse and also affect the psyche of the team in the immediate aftermath...

...Multiple players felt it was disingenuous for Dipoto to trade a team leader like Graveman at such an emotional time without offering some explanation for it in person. They found out from Graveman and social media.

“He hasn’t come down here,” a player said of Dipoto. “He sits up in his suite, playing fantasy baseball and rips apart our team without telling us anything.”...

Jerry Dipoto sounds like a chicken shit little bitch. He straight up admitted that he knew this could disrupt team chemistry and affect the psyche of the team, but instead of addressing the team in person and assuring them that he had a plan and was still committed to winning now and doing everything he could to put together the best team possible right now, he just didn't say shit, didn't even bother addressing the team at all. Just let everyone find out from social media and Graveman. What a ******* coward.