The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":oipg4s4y said:
Hawk-Lock":oipg4s4y said:
Thank you Baltimore.

Tied for the final wild card spot.
Yep. Need Washington to step it up next, and Seattle to win out.

Boston isn’t that great. We just needed to get even with Boston which has happened. We now control our own path. Still would be nice to have some help. Baltimore has shown they are far from a pushover, we will see what they can do against Toronto. But it won’t matter if we just win out.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Unfortunately with the Houston win, the long shot chance at the division is dead. Going to be a crazy finish, there is a good chance of a 4 team tie for the two WC spots. Anyone know what the tie breaker is for that situation? What is the tie breaker if the M’s and Sox tie?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Ain't life grand? I'm not big on baseball, but I've really been enjoying the Mariners and have gotten to know who their players, Servais, and DiPoto are from afar. The personalities are fun to watch, and the hate for the Toro trade turning to love for it has been fun to see. :2thumbs:

Ruminator

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":3daytl36 said:
Unfortunately with the Houston win, the long shot chance at the division is dead. Going to be a crazy finish, there is a good chance of a 4 team tie for the two WC spots. Anyone know what the tie breaker is for that situation? What is the tie breaker if the M’s and Sox tie?

There's a write-up discussing various tie scenarios, including a possible four-way tie, here:

https://www.mlb.com/news/american-leagu ... -explained

If BoSox and Ms tie: "Red Sox and Mariners would play a Monday tiebreaker to determine who heads to the Bronx on Tuesday."

Gets a bit crazy if a four-way wild card tie happens.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ms clinch the second wild card spot outright, though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Moore needed to catch that ball in the 3rd inning.
Marco walked the tight rope and got out of some tight spots for not having his off speed pitches not working.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":2un35ysu said:
Would Fraley have caught that? The question that may linger.
Likely. He’s a natural OF’er. IMHO Moore is an INF playing OF.

Had lead off runner on 3rd, no outs and couldn’t score a run.
Kelenic, Murphy, and Moore all K’ed. :x :34853_doh:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah Moore should have caught that ball and Murphy should have held onto the ball.

That 7th inning was awful. First and third no outs and three consecutive strike outs. That called third strike to Moore looked off the plate though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":27v49cp8 said:
Yeah Moore should have caught that ball and Murphy should have held onto the ball.

That 7th inning was awful. First and third no outs and three consecutive strike outs. That called third strike to Moore looked off the plate though.
Got to protect with 2 strikes though. It was close enough to swing at IMHO.

They had too many center cut meatballs they either took for strikes , missed, or missed hitting it hard.
An opportunity missed for sure tonight.

sutz

Reaction score
That definitely hurts. Now watch us win the next two and end up a game out. :34853_doh:

This feels a lot better than a couple of years ago when we got close. At least now we have a lot of young talent on the way up, not a lot of old guys on the way out.

Oh well. :snack:

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Threedee":r3lbywlm said:
I think TB might sweep NY, so, two wins could still catch us up with them.
Yea Yankees won’t win a single game against TB. They could possibly miss the playoffs. Maybe then they would dump Boone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Tampa has nothing to play for, they could easily mail it in. I wouldn’t bank on the Yankees losing out. I think we need Boston to drop one, not sure if it will happen though.

We needed to win last night, and I thought the team crumbled under pressure. The moment might have been too much for them.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":e6tfqies said:
Tampa has nothing to play for, they could easily mail it in. I wouldn’t bank on the Yankees losing out. I think we need Boston to drop one, not sure if it will happen though.

We needed to win last night, and I thought the team crumbled under pressure. The moment might have been too much for them.

Could be even more pressure tonight after dropping yesterday's game. Stadium suddenly packed after being at least half empty all season has to be an adjustment, but the Ms can't worry about trying to please the fans who bought a ticket -- they just need to maintain their focus. Flex pitching tonight -- exactly who we need right now.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
This race for the wildcard spot could be getting too exciting.
Apparently the umpire for this afternoon's Blue Jays, Orioles match left the game due to a heart attack.