The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

sutz

Reaction score
Ruminator":3j2jqe34 said:
Hawk-Lock":3j2jqe34 said:
Tampa has nothing to play for, they could easily mail it in. I wouldn’t bank on the Yankees losing out. I think we need Boston to drop one, not sure if it will happen though.

We needed to win last night, and I thought the team crumbled under pressure. The moment might have been too much for them.

Could be even more pressure tonight after dropping yesterday's game. Stadium suddenly packed after being at least half empty all season has to be an adjustment, but the Ms can't worry about trying to please the fans who bought a ticket -- they just need to maintain their focus. Flex pitching tonight -- exactly who we need right now.
Not too worried about the pitching. Yeah Flex is the right guy, but if the bats are still ice cold we're doomed.

Let's hope they wake up at the plate.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Boston won so unless Boston or NY loses tomorrow it doesnt matter if the M's win out. Moore, Murphy, Shed probably get traded or released. They can absolutely find better. We've seen improvements and growth with Kelenic. He's probably in the starting line up opening day next year. Torrens probably earned a spot as well. Cal not enough games played to really know. I still believe in the youth movement but they could still go veteran for the catcher position....wouldn't hurt them. If the pitching staff could repeat this years success which was hanging in there and giving the offense chances to win late in the game, that's all you need. Servais for AL manager of the year? Probably him or Kevin Cash.

sutz

Reaction score
Y'all still think we should have traded Haniger? :mrgreen:

Still alive.

https://youtu.be/[youtube]I_izvAbhExY[/youtube]

Sorry, I had to. :rofl: :laugh:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":382tp62c said:
Y'all still think we should have traded Haniger? :mrgreen:

Still alive.

https://youtu.be/[youtube]I_izvAbhExY[/youtube]

Sorry, I had to. :rofl: :laugh:
My mind has been changed on trading Haniger.

M’s brass better go out and spend a chunk of $$$ on starting pitching.
Get a couple of stud Top of Rotation guys, mix it in with existing talent, and minor league stud prospects (See J-rod, Kirby, Hancock and friends) and you may have a great ball club next year.

Make or break year for front office ownership this off-season.

The old tired failed excuse of “we tried (and failed)” won’t cut it anymore.

sutz

Reaction score
I believe Hanniger is a FA after this season. I'm hoping we can sign him for 3-5 years, without a no-trade clause. Lewis, Kelenic, Haniger with Fraley as a 4th OF would work for me until Rodriguez is called up.

Hell, I think I'd excercise the Team Option on Seager, too, since we don't have the long term answer at 3rd yet. He's still a good defensive 3d baseman and generates his share of HR/RBI. France is a keeper, too, though we'll have to find a spot for him when White comes back, assuming he does. He was originally a 3d baseman, I guess. Torrens is expendable, I guess, and I'm not sure I'd need a full time DH. I'd kind of rather rotate guys through that on rest days.

I would be OK with hanging on to Moore as a utility fielder, he can play most positions competently. He's replaceable, though, someone who hits above the Mendoza line would be nice.

Pitching is a thing, for sure. We know we have Marco and Flex under contract. I can't see them excercising the option on YK for 4 more years. He really hasn't earned it except in short spurts. Dunn and Sheff are still out there, but they're unproven yet and I'd hate to base a playoff run on them.

Threedee

Reaction score
Crizilla":2l1bzw04 said:
Boston won so unless Boston or NY loses tomorrow it doesnt matter if the M's win out. Moore, Murphy, Shed probably get traded or released. They can absolutely find better. We've seen improvements and growth with Kelenic. He's probably in the starting line up opening day next year. Torrens probably earned a spot as well. Cal not enough games played to really know. I still believe in the youth movement but they could still go veteran for the catcher position....wouldn't hurt them. If the pitching staff could repeat this years success which was hanging in there and giving the offense chances to win late in the game, that's all you need. Servais for AL manager of the year? Probably him or Kevin Cash.

I'm actually pretty optimistic that TB will complete the sweep of NY. Boston probably isn't losing to DC.

It would be great if Raleigh developed into a good hitter. We've never had one at catcher. Zunino had power, but wasn't a consistent hitter.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1a6q9ury said:
I believe Hanniger is a FA after this season. I'm hoping we can sign him for 3-5 years, without a no-trade clause. Lewis, Kelenic, Haniger with Fraley as a 4th OF would work for me until Rodriguez is called up.

Hell, I think I'd excercise the Team Option on Seager, too, since we don't have the long term answer at 3rd yet. He's still a good defensive 3d baseman and generates his share of HR/RBI. France is a keeper, too, though we'll have to find a spot for him when White comes back, assuming he does. He was originally a 3d baseman, I guess. Torrens is expendable, I guess, and I'm not sure I'd need a full time DH. I'd kind of rather rotate guys through that on rest days.

I would be OK with hanging on to Moore as a utility fielder, he can play most positions competently. He's replaceable, though, someone who hits above the Mendoza line would be nice.

Pitching is a thing, for sure. We know we have Marco and Flex under contract. I can't see them excercising the option on YK for 4 more years. He really hasn't earned it except in short spurts. Dunn and Sheff are still out there, but they're unproven yet and I'd hate to base a playoff run on them.
Haniger is a FA AFTER the 2022 season.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I said friday night after the Ms loss that i believe they will win out and so will boston. I said yanks will lose saturday but win sunday and we will suffer heart break.

I hope i am wrong.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3s5pfb7n said:
sutz":3s5pfb7n said:

Haniger is a FA AFTER the 2022 season.
My mistake. I'd still like to extend him, though that makes him a valuable commodity at the deadline. I think he's earned a longer term deal. I wouldn't go the 10 year mega-deal like the previous idiots did, but he's a great player, seems well liked by the team, and a fan fave, too.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
If someone had told you at the beginning of the season that the M's would win 90 games this year, would you have believed them? I wouldn't have.

Ruminator

Reaction score
SeatownJay":vryhinz1 said:
If someone had told you at the beginning of the season that the M's would win 90 games this year, would you have believed them? I wouldn't have.

I especially wouldn't have believed it if also told the run differential stat would be nearly 50 in the hole.

And four of the five AL East teams notching 90+ wins, all potentially making the playoffs.

Toronto needs to lose today!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Wow choking in the biggest game of the season. Need the offense to pick up the slack.

I’m going to be pretty upset if we lose and either the BOS or NYY lose. Not giving these guys any excuses. It is one game against a bad team, you need to win this.

Threedee

Reaction score
My complaint is that this final game was never about getting to the WS. Or the ALCS. Or the ALDS. It was simply about ending the playoff drought. Now, there isn't a single starting pitcher on this roster that you would ever want to schedule for the "big game." That being said, why Tyler Anderson?

Chapow

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":27upubj1 said:
Wow choking in the biggest game of the season. Need the offense to pick up the slack.

I’m going to be pretty upset if we lose and either the BOS or NYY lose. Not giving these guys any excuses. It is one game against a bad team, you need to win this.

I'll be really disappointed too. Hell, I'm already really disappointed at the showing so far and it's still only the 6th inning.

Buuuutttt... This team drastically overachieved to even be in this position in the first place, and let's be honest, they would most likely get curb stomped by any of the Yankees, Red Sox, or Blue Jays anyway.

Chapow

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1kc75dd6 said:

No.

Absolutely no one thought this team was capable of winning 90 games.

No one.

Chapow

Reaction score
Threedee":12gq5mof said:
My complaint is that this final game was never about getting to the WS. Or the ALCS. Or the ALDS. It was simply about ending the playoff drought. Now, there isn't a single starting pitcher on this roster that you would ever want to schedule for the "big game." That being said, why Tyler Anderson?

Does it count as making the playoffs if you tie for the 2nd wildcard, but then lose that play in game, so you never actually were the 2nd wildcard and you never actually play in the wildcard game?

sutz

Reaction score
Tough way to end the season, but it was a fun ride. Lots of ups and downs and we got to see a lot of our future. The younger guys got lots of great experience.

Can't wait til next year. Will be an interesting offseason, or at least I hope so. :irishdrinkers:

Crizilla

Reaction score
If they keep Kyle, they have to pay him $20 million next year, if I understand the contract correctly. Yeah, 90 wins was unthinkable for this team for sure. Going forward the focus should be on winning the division not dealing with wild card chaos.