The Jamal Adams trade in retrospect

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
All the roster evidence agrees with you, the organization has moved on with the signing of Love, moving Bryant to safety and drafting of another monster hitter in Witherspoon, with highest pick in almost 15 years.

Not sure why a lot of fans haven't moved on also.
Because he is still on the team and has potential to be a game changer. The team has not moved on. He will start once healthy. This may or not bear fruit but one can hope.

RiverDog

Reaction score
if Seattle used him how the Jets where, then it was great. It seems IMO here, he was used like Kam.. and he himself tried being like Kam, with the hard hitting over the middle stuff, but he’s not built for it.

IF Seattle starts using him this year like he was used with the Jets then I think it’ll work out. I also can’t fault a guy for getting injured. Can’t 100% control it. However, I do believe sometime after our SB loss we lost or replaced the strength and conditioning coach or whoever was in charge and we’ve seen an uptick in injuries whereas before we weren’t or avoided most injuries.
IF your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.

It's not wise to employ players that can only be successful if you use them in one particular way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Because he is still on the team and has potential to be a game changer. The team has not moved on. He will start once healthy. This may or not bear fruit but one can hope.

He's only on the team because they can't release him.

Yeah he might come back after week 4 or 5, but I guarantee you it'll be in a very limited role, with limited snaps. If Adams plays more than 10-15 snaps a game when he comes back, IF he comes back, I'd be shocked.

My point is in no football world are the coaches or organization from top to bottom counting even one sack or contribution this year out of Adams. Thus every roster and draft move not putting themselves in the position they did the past two years, where they actually were counting on him to be healthy.

bileever

Reaction score
I think the Adam's trade was far more about the complete whiffs at safety post LOB, like Lano Hill and Tedrick Thompson....and throw in Flowers and Amadi for good measure.

These draft pick failures led to the desperation of the need to make a trade like Adams.
There's some truth in this. We were in the defensive backfield wilderness for a while post LOB. But I think the Adams trade was more of an effort to find Kam Chancellor 2.0. But Kam was unique in that he could cover and be an effective run stopper.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I am the biggest critic in the world of the Adams deal. Horrible in every aspect.

Who is to say that Pete and John, as a management team, can't learn from mistakes and get better? Schnieder, in reference to Malik McDowell can be quoted as saying he learned from it and would not repeat it (whatever "it" was) again. Every deal isn't the same. Every deal offers new insight on how to manage similar deals in the future.

Every team in the league makes great decisions and poor decisions. It Isn't an exact science. Put <your replacement here> in Petes place and ponder how he would have fared. Picking in the late twenties (not just in the first round but every round) for almost an entire decade. Consistently picking late because the organization had the second-best winning percentage for that same decade. Answering your expected reply, <your replacement> would not have picked in the late twenties every year because <your replacement> wouldn't have enjoyed equivalent success. Yet some folks can't appreciate the tremendous job that the Pete/Schnieder team have done. I just can't believe how unbelievably entitled some folks are. Completely detached from reality.

Hating the Adams deal doesn't automatically equate to losing my staunch belief in Pete Carroll (as it apparently does for others). Put me in the camp of letting Pete coach for as long as his heart desires and let him retire on his own terms. Then retire his name in the ring of honor and permanently cement his Seahawk legacy within the organization. After he leaves, attempt to retain his positive culture for as long as possible by hiring someone that emulates him.

If you are in the "fire Pete" camp, be prepared for me being a message board adversary. I already don't personally like your "fandom", but I can't get that personal on this forum. I will, however, counter you with non-personal argument as I see fit. If it inevitably appears that I can't talk sense into you, then I will ultimately ignore you. And I have put a couple "fire Pete" antagonists (they are obsessed with it on almost every post) on ignore because I don't come here to read their ill-conceived crap. I just don't make good company for self-entitled, unappreciative people.
Meet me at the mall....it's goin down.

Just kidding, I'm on the don't fire Pete wagon. If Schneider and Carroll are being candid they're going to agree this was a horrible deal for the team. My question is whether they thought they were only an all pro Jamal Adams away from making the owl.

They didn't seem close IMHO. Yes, Seattle was still a good team but
They got sold a bag full of magic billy goat dicks on that one .

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There's some truth in this. We were in the defensive backfield wilderness for a while post LOB. But I think the Adams trade was more of an effort to find Kam Chancellor 2.0. But Kam was unique in that he could cover and be an effective run stopper.

I think John and Pete painted themselves into a corner post SB, desperately thinking they were only one or two moves away from sustaining a SB caliber roster. So they traded too many picks, and got too cute in the draft trying to make up for their lack of picks with red flag risks and reaches.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I think John and Pete painted themselves into a corner post SB, desperately thinking they were only one or two moves away from sustaining a SB caliber roster. So they traded too many picks, and got too cute in the draft trying to make up for their lack of picks with red flag risks and reaches.
Agreed.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Meet me at the mall....it's goin down.

Just kidding, I'm on the don't fore Pete wagon. If Schneider and Carroll are being candid they're going to agree this was a horrible deal for the team. My question is whether they thought they were only an all pro Jamal Adams away from making the owl.

They didn't seem close IMHO. Yes, Seattle was still a good team but
They got sold a bag full of magic billy goat dicks on that one .
Speculative comments with rear view vision regrets do not represent a candid opinion. Jamal Adams was a very young all pro (higher distinction than pro bowl) defensive play maker (drafted #6 overall). His natural instincts were like a shark with blood in the water. The fact that he was a disgruntled special talent with Seahawky attributes set the wheels in motion.

Do you think Sauce Gardner could be had for only 1 1rst rd pick? The Rams gave up two 1rsts for Jalen Ramsey...normally QB only rarefied air but special talent has a high price (especially when their trending in a high ascending arc) John Schneider added his rationale shortly after the trade...Covid had severely impacted NFL teams ability to scout 2020/2021 draft talent so he didn't feel as bad making a legit offer to pry Jamal away. They are active in improving the team using all resources...the limited impact Jamal had in 2020 was based more on the timing of the trade than raw ability. He missed the entire pre-season and training camp and learned our playbook on the fly. His quick get off when lined up at the line of scrimmage is akin to the advantage Michael Bennett enjoyed in his hey day.

Just like 2nd years are more telling for rookies true impact...Jamal enjoyed better success in his 2nd year (2021) for us. In 12 games his 58.8% QB completion rating when targeted was respectable with 87 tackles and 4 TFL also very good numbers. Sometimes fans and tv announcers see blown coverage as the closest defensive man to the WR/TE making the catch...but a player with speed and good instincts can recognize a corner failing to cover and arrives too late but close enough to look like it was "his" fault.