The Legend of Gardner Minshew.

NINEster

Reaction score
ivotuk":35iuwyvt said:
chris98251":35iuwyvt said:
He has that aura of a Russell Wilson and Joe Montana about him, not a physically dominating presence but the team rally's around him and plays hard for him and he wins.

I like the Joe Montana comparison. Not that big, average arm, but unflappable, anticipates well and is very accurate.

I remember Bill Walsh saying "Joe had the best feet I'd ever seen." At the time, i had no idea what he meant, and i still know very little, but i do understand the importance of footwork where velocity and accuracy are concerned.

I don't know if Gardner has "good feet," but with his competitiveness, and love for the game, I'll bet he has GREAT FEET!

I'm rooting for the guy, and would love to hang out with him! Can you imagine the women draping off of his arms! :drool:

Don't try to pass off Montana as being inferior arm wise to Wilson.

NINEster

Reaction score
Minshew is a decent QB. We'll see how good he really is soon....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":1ns6maep said:
ivotuk":1ns6maep said:
chris98251":1ns6maep said:
He has that aura of a Russell Wilson and Joe Montana about him, not a physically dominating presence but the team rally's around him and plays hard for him and he wins.

I like the Joe Montana comparison. Not that big, average arm, but unflappable, anticipates well and is very accurate.

I remember Bill Walsh saying "Joe had the best feet I'd ever seen." At the time, i had no idea what he meant, and i still know very little, but i do understand the importance of footwork where velocity and accuracy are concerned.

I don't know if Gardner has "good feet," but with his competitiveness, and love for the game, I'll bet he has GREAT FEET!

I'm rooting for the guy, and would love to hang out with him! Can you imagine the women draping off of his arms! :drool:

Or what? You going to stomp your feet, get all red faced and troll more than you already do?

Don’t like the content here you are free to leave.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":3u3tmp5c said:
ivotuk":3u3tmp5c said:
chris98251":3u3tmp5c said:

No comparison was made between their arms, you just assumed it was there. Honestly, though, Montana didn't have a great arm. Neither does Tom Brady. It doesn't really matter though, because both were/are winners. Quit getting your panties in a twist.

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":1cvkzzbr said:
ivotuk":1cvkzzbr said:
chris98251":1cvkzzbr said:

It was, was one of the knocks on him coming out, Walsh just adapted to it and counted on his leadership, winning attitude and ability to make those around him play at a higher level.

NINEster

Reaction score
chris98251":3vl9hzf8 said:
NINEster":3vl9hzf8 said:
ivotuk":3vl9hzf8 said:
chris98251":3vl9hzf8 said:

It was, was one of the knocks on him coming out, Walsh just adapted to it and counted on his leadership, winning attitude and ability to make those around him play at a higher level.

That arm had incredible touch throwing the ball at all levels.

Marino had a faster release, Elway had a stronger arm, but neither could thread the needle with the same finesse. He was as good or better a deep ball thrower than those two.

And he was doing it before Rice and Taylor arrived, and after he left SF.

So if his arm wasn't as strong as Cunningham, whatever.

Wasn't going to be GOAT caliber with just an average arm. Same goes for Brady too.

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":1vob5ugu said:
NINEster":1vob5ugu said:
ivotuk":1vob5ugu said:
chris98251":1vob5ugu said:

No comparison was made between their arms, you just assumed it was there. Honestly, though, Montana didn't have a great arm. Neither does Tom Brady. It doesn't really matter though, because both were/are winners. Quit getting your panties in a twist.

Wrong.

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":7x07qtg3 said:
chris98251":7x07qtg3 said:
NINEster":7x07qtg3 said:
ivotuk":7x07qtg3 said:

That arm had incredible touch throwing the ball at all levels.

Marino had a faster release, Elway had a stronger arm, but neither could thread the needle with the same finesse. He was as good or better a deep ball thrower than those two.

And he was doing it before Rice and Taylor arrived, and after he left SF.

So if his arm wasn't as strong as Cunningham, whatever.

Wasn't going to be GOAT caliber with just an average arm. Same goes for Brady too.

Well take your Homer 5 rings glasses off and the rest of the world knows different, but whatever go back and read your 35 year old press clippings, gave him credit for what he was good at, Young had a better arm the Montana.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":2kx5221g said:
Maulbert":2kx5221g said:
NINEster":2kx5221g said:
ivotuk":2kx5221g said:

Wrong.

So, I'm wrong that Montana was a winner? 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":bimt55l8 said:
NINEster":bimt55l8 said:
Maulbert":bimt55l8 said:
NINEster":bimt55l8 said:

Wrong.

Guy probably never even seen him play, Joe Montana was the prototype for intangibles that can't be measured, the one comparison that they both have that is dead on, Walsh said doesn't have any great measurements except one, he wins, same thing Pete said about Wilson, except Wilson had his arm strength which is very good.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hope Minshew is ok, this is a guy that makes the NFL watchable in many ways, he is going to get paid by someone if he can keep this up.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":1km9bwek said:
Maulbert":1km9bwek said:
NINEster":1km9bwek said:
Maulbert":1km9bwek said:

Wrong.

Guy probably never even seen him play, Joe Montana was the prototype for intangibles that can't be measured, the one comparison that they both have that is dead on, Walsh said doesn't have any great measurements except one, he wins, same thing Pete said about Wilson, except Wilson had his arm strength which is very good.
So in a round about way you are calling him an “0-1’er”? If so you are probably correct.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
A prime Montana?Nobody compares to him..He had an arm to
throw whatever he needed but no he wasn't a gunslinger all
the time.As Chris said"Joe Montana was the prototype for intangibles
that cannot be measured".He saw things nobody else could..The
will to win and super smart among other things..The rules of his
era blasted his body pretty hard..
I'd love to see what he would have done under todays (wow)
I can see why NINEster might get irritated.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3pxehd68 said:
Brady compares. You just described him when describing Montana. Unitus compares from a very now bygone era as well. But yeah, Joe is #2 to Brady on my list and the argument for him to be #1 is worthy.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":6sl5kbs1 said:
IndyHawk":6sl5kbs1 said:
Brady compares. You just described him when describing Montana. Unitus compares from a very now bygone era as well. But yeah, Joe is #2 to Brady on my list and the argument for him to be #1 is worthy.

And Brady has NEVER had a good arm. That's not really a knock when you win consistently, which I guarantee Bill Walsh valued over being able to sling it 80 yards. Also, when people say good arm, they're usually speaking about power, not accuracy, and NO ONE has ever questioned Montana's accuracy.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1xh4wxbu said:
IndyHawk":1xh4wxbu said:

I never saw Johnny Unitas but my dad loved him so he had
to be great..In my opinion Brady does not compare with Joe
besides all those SB's.
Both are very good though ..I put Joe@#1

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2rtbzncx said:
hawksfansinceday1":2rtbzncx said:
IndyHawk":2rtbzncx said:

I never saw Johnny Unitas but my dad loved him so he had
to be great..In my opinion Brady does not compare with Joe
besides all those SB's.
Both are very good though ..I put Joe@#1

Unitas was a warrior with guts that lead his team and they would follow him through a wall of fire, he had that Farve ability to make plays and go against what Coaches wanted many times, also remember they called a lot of their own plays then or most of them. He was not a specimen of physicality either.

the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL drafted Unitas in the ninth round.

Steelers' head coach Walt Kiesling had made up his mind about Unitas; he thought he was not smart enough to quarterback an NFL team,and he was not given any snaps in practice with the Steelers. Among those edging out Unitas was Ted Marchibroda, future longtime NFL head coach. Out of pro football, Unitas—by this time married—worked in construction in Pittsburgh to support his family.[8] On the weekends, he played quarterback, safety and punter on a local semi-professional team called the Bloomfield Rams for $6 a game.

In 1956, Unitas joined the Baltimore Colts of the NFL under legendary coach Weeb Ewbank, after being asked at the last minute to join Bloomfield Rams lineman Jim Deglau, a Croatian steel worker with a life much like Unitas, at the latter's scheduled Colts tryout. The pair borrowed money from friends to pay for the gas to make the trip. Deglau later told a reporter after Unitas's death, "[His] uncle told him not to come. [He] was worried that if he came down and the Colts passed on him, it would look bad (to other NFL teams)."[10] The Colts signed Unitas, much to the chagrin of the Cleveland Browns, who had hoped to claim the former Steeler quarterback.

The rest is history really.

He was a leader and fiery player and had an iron man mentality and played hurt a lot. But as you look above had to love the game. I grabbed that off Wiki because I could not remember the details, but I did watch him play quite a bit when I was younger.