The one position we've never had a "star" at.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Why never a star tight end for the Seahawks? Yeah we've had "good" tight ends, but never a great one. Never a Shannon Sharpe or Tony Gonzalez.

Is it our players, our scheme? Just wonder why?

seabowl

Reaction score
Many teams have not had a star TE.
With that said Zach Miller and obviously Jimmy Graham were pretty darn good. I remember back in the 80s when Seattle got Travis McNeil and thought after seeing him a little bit, this guy has the chance of being really really good. Ferrel Edmunds too. Wrong.

keasley45

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham was the best in the league until he met our scramble drill / dont throw over the middle offense.

And Mili was also grossly undervalued and under utilized

Jeremy Stevens COULD have been a great one but he couldnt keep his head on straight.

Rat

Reaction score
It feels like Dissly has barely been here, and he already is just 20 yards from matching Jerramy Stevens for 5th in team history (among TEs), and just one TD from matching Mili and John Carlson for third most.

Rat

Reaction score
Some would argue we've never had a star DE either. Our best have been guys like Jacob Green, Michael Sinclair, Michael Bennett, Jeff Bryant, etc; excellent players, but nobody who ever made first-team All-Pro (I think).

Lagartixa

Reaction score
In the countdown-to-the-season thread, we've been counting down the uniform numbers from 99, each day's uniform corresponding to the number of days until the Seahawks' first regular-season game. Today is 87. Because yesterday was 88, I was thinking about what players have done the most with that uniform number for the Seahawks. It's crazy to me that it's pretty clearly Jimmy Graham, because his time with the Seahawks still feels like a big disappointment. He certainly wasn't terrible, and I remember a few times when I knew my mom was watching a Seahawks game and a specific moment made me send her a message reading just "JFG!" But still, the whole thing ended up feeling like a disappointment. I'm with @keasley45 on the "why" of that.

Consistent with what @SeAhAwKeR4life said in the comment that started this thread, Graham was good when he was with the Seahawks, but he didn't give us "star" production at the position. Yes, he made the Pro Bowl twice as a Seahawk. I still think he was just good and not a real "star" at the position.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I don't think we've ever had a thousand yard season from a tight end. That's what I mean, a guy who consistently gets over 800 yards a season and 10-15 TDs.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Some would argue we've never had a star DE either. Our best have been guys like Jacob Green, Michael Sinclair, Michael Bennett, Jeff Bryant, etc; excellent players, but nobody who ever made first-team All-Pro (I think).
Patrick Kerney 😁

Rat

Reaction score
I don't think we've ever had a thousand yard season from a tight end. That's what I mean, a guy who consistently gets over 800 yards a season and 10-15 TDs.
No TEs really get that many TDs consistently, although Kelce is averaging around 10 the past five season. Antonio Gates only had four double-digit TE seasons, Tony Gonzalez had just three and none with more than 11. Jimmy Graham had four, Gronk three.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Kelce was the only TE last year with over 1,000 yards, and on average at MOST there's maybe 2-3 TE's with over 1,000 yards.

But it's a fair question. I'd say for the Hawks it's had far more to do with coaches, GM's, drafting priority, scheme, etc. Not only is it super hard to find the playmaking TE you're talking about, but to fit him into a scheme and QB pairing that would yield the insane TE stats that would put him up there with the rare studs like Kelce and others in the past that fit this discussion type.

bileever

Reaction score
I think Jimmy Graham was a superstar before coming to Seattle. In the four years before he was acquired, he averaged 89 receptions, 1100 yards and 11.5 TDs per year.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Jimmy is probably the closest at the TE spot. Made the Pro Bowl for the Hawks in 2/3 seasons, and the season where he wasn't a Pro Bowl player was ended by injury.

'07 Kerney probably the closest to a single season star on the edge.

Centre isn't a position that lends itself to anyone becoming a star, but Unger had a couple seasons in there where he was probably hovering around the top 5 or so at his position.

Rat

Reaction score
Centre isn't a position that lends itself to anyone becoming a star, but Unger had a couple seasons in there where he was probably hovering around the top 5 or so at his position.
I remember when we drafted "the best center prospect of the past ten years".

BASF

Reaction score
Sinclair was a victim of Dennis Erickson's incompetence. Even in Niners and Raiders country, we heard plenty about him in the three year stretch that he was a serious threat off the edge. He was overshadowed by Bruce Smith and Derrick Thomas though. Sinclair would be mentioned in the same sentence though during those few years. If Erickson could actually outcoach anyone, Sinclair would have had a chance to make some noise in the playoffs where DEs really make the name for themselves.

As far as TE, one thing is that we have never used TE's as featured receivers, no matter who was the coach. If Stephens had not been a drunk, he more than likely would have been a perennial pro bowler.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Robbie Tobeck was a star to me!

How are you guys gonna discount Tobeck!

Tobeck was the attitude of the offensive line during the Holmgren years.

I remember Joey Porter used to talk trash to the offensive line during XL and Tobeck said we are going to “shut his ass, up!”

And pretty much Walter Jones wrecked Joey Porter all game whenever they matched up.

Lol.