The one position we've never had a "star" at.

xray

Reaction score
Graham would of been much better if not for the play calls and Wilson running all over the field . They used him poorly imho .

keasley45

Reaction score
No, I mean until he was in an offense that for 6 years was never better than 27th at using the middle of the field. And... an offense that never utilized the TE, even when they were blatantly open. Not opinion. Stats prove that as well, as does last year's use consistent use of multiple tight end sets.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I remember when we drafted "the best center prospect of the past ten years".
Who are you referring to?

Forgive my youth, but no one is instantly coming to mind as that player. As in the time that I have been following the NFL the best Centre prospects in recent memory have been Ryan Kelly '16, Alex Mack '09, and Nick Mangold '06.

Was it Kevin Mawae maybe? I don't have any memory of him until the tail end of his career.

BASF

Reaction score
Who are you referring to?

Forgive my youth, but no one is instantly coming to mind as that player. As in the time that I have been following the NFL the best Centre prospects in recent memory have been Ryan Kelly '16, Alex Mack '09, and Nick Mangold '06.

Was it Kevin Mawae maybe? I don't have any memory of him until the tail end of his career.
Pretty sure he is talking about Chris Spencer. Which did not pan out.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I agree with the OP, we've never really had a great tight end.

Jimmy Graham might have had some good overall stats if the name of the game was fantasy football, but he was a horrible blocker and a soft player in general, a bad fit for the type of smash mouth team we envisioned ourselves as. He was supposed to be a red zone threat that we never fully utilized. I'd put him way down my list.

My favorite tight end was Zach Miller. Excellent blocker and a dependable receiver. He was a security blanket for Russell during his early years. Miller's problem was that he couldn't stay healthy.

The current player on our roster that most closely resembles Zach is Will Dissly.

Rat

Reaction score
Pretty sure he is talking about Chris Spencer. Which did not pan out.
Yep. Someone with the Eagles called him the best center prospect in 10 years and one with the Bengals called him the best in 15 years (I might have those backwards). He was extremely gifted physically, but was never able to put it together, for us or anyone else.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Robbie Tobeck was a star to me!

How are you guys gonna discount Tobeck!

Tobeck was the attitude of the offensive line during the Holmgren years.

I remember Joey Porter used to talk trash to the offensive line during XL and Tobeck said we are going to “shut his ass, up!”

And pretty much Walter Jones wrecked Joey Porter all game whenever they matched up.

Lol.
They were so good, the referees had to get involved.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
It feels like Dissly has barely been here, and he already is just 20 yards from matching Jerramy Stevens for 5th in team history (among TEs), and just one TD from matching Mili and John Carlson for third most.
Barely been here and missed a ton of time in that span.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Who could leave out Carlester Crumpler. You have to be a star standout with a name like that. Best name ever in the NFL.

Almost word for word what I was thinking. I don’t recall the stats from that era but I remember hearing his name a lot.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Some would argue we've never had a star DE either. Our best have been guys like Jacob Green, Michael Sinclair, Michael Bennett, Jeff Bryant, etc; excellent players, but nobody who ever made first-team All-Pro (I think).
Wasn’t Cliff Avril a DE too?

Rat

Reaction score
Tremendous player who was integral to our Super Bowl run, but I dont think many would call a one-time Pro Bowler (no All-Pros) with just two double-digit sack seasons a "star". I suppose it's a subjective term though.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Tremendous player who was integral to our Super Bowl run, but I dont think many would call a one-time Pro Bowler (no All-Pros) with just two double-digit sack seasons a "star". I suppose it's a subjective term though.
To me Cliff Avril was an All-Pro and the heart of the LOB pass rush and a key team leader. When he went out in SB49 with a concussion, end of the Seahawks pass rush, that was the ball game.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
No, I mean until he was in an offense that for 6 years was never better than 27th at using the middle of the field. And... an offense that never utilized the TE, even when they were blatantly open. Not opinion. Stats prove that as well, as does last year's use consistent use of multiple tight end sets.

Stats are saying the years with Graham were about even for TE targets and receptions compared to last season. *shrug*

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I remember how to spell Houshmandzadeh, just because he was a Seahawk.

I think out TE will play a more significant role in Geno's offense. We already saw some of that last season. Geno definitely has a better ability to see his receivers than Wilson ever did. He seems able to hit things over the middle Wilson never would throw to,

Jac

Reaction score
Some would argue we've never had a star DE either. Our best have been guys like Jacob Green, Michael Sinclair, Michael Bennett, Jeff Bryant, etc; excellent players, but nobody who ever made first-team All-Pro (I think).
I think that's fair. You can name an All-Pro/'best in the league at the time' at every other position except tight end and defensive end. Sinclair had that 16.5 sack year, but I don't think that'd elevate him to the superstar status being talked about.