The writing is on the wall for Chris Carson

getnasty

Reaction score
Rat":1gbsfhvi said:
I'd give Carson like $13million over two years. If he wants more, sorry, he's great but just hurt too damn often.

This is how i see it but my guess is a 1 year deal might be more likely. With the injuries and cap not going up and possible going down i just don't see Carson getting paid this offseason.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
Own The West":1hmskc9u said:
Such a weird month of March-type thread...

Who is going to give Carson big money? He's never been a bell cow. He's never played a full season. And his numbers have come on one of the most run-heavy teams in the league. Someone might give him a prove it deal, but why wouldn't that someone be us?

Hey, it's all about what someone would pay, and what he will accept. *Not what we all think he deserves. You guys all seem to think that it's so simple, that he'll just take a short term contract at much less than he stated, that he was looking for. It sounds like, if you guys were the GM's, the deal would already be done.

I pray that you guys are right, but something tells me, it's not that simple.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Own The West":1lewp7gg said:

Who is going to give Carson big money? He's never been a bell cow. He's never played a full season. And his numbers have come on one of the most run-heavy teams in the league. Someone might give him a prove it deal, but why wouldn't that someone be us?
Prostats records indicate Carson played in 14 and 15 games in 2018, 2019 respectively. I don't recall why he missed those few games, but to be fair, this portrayal of him being unreliable or unhealthy doesn't appear to be accurate.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
Palmegranite":6kose1ij said:
Own The West":6kose1ij said:

Prostats records indicate Carson played in 14 and 15 games in 2018, 2019 respectively. I don't recall why he missed those few games, but to be fair, this portrayal of him being unreliable or unhealthy doesn't appear to be accurate.

We've been through this. He was hurt almost all of his rookie season (2017) where he played 4 games. He was taken out of the game early multiple times during the next two seasons, and was out for the playoffs in each year except 2018, where he came back for one game of the playoffs (while still injured), and that resulted in 13 carries for 20 yards, and a Seahawks loss. Out again last year for hip surgery just before the playoffs. With extra time to heal and rehab this season, was taken out of the game a few times prior to game 6, in which he got hurt mid-game. Might return in week 12.

TraderGary

Reaction score
I'm a CC fan. He's as tough as they come. But he's a RB that would rather run over people than run around them. Because of that type of running style, his body takes a lot of punishment which is exactly why we see him missing time on occasion.

Carson is only 26 years old, but because of the pounding he takes, he likely has a body of a RB years older. Because of this, I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank, and the only way I would extend him is if it's on a very team friendly contract for 1-3 years max. If he's looking for top 5 RB money, I would just have to tell him, "thank you for being a great Seahawk, and I wish you all the best."

Even if he was worth top 5 RB money, we can't afford to pay him that when we have so many other holes to fill on both the OL and DL, secondary, and depth at WR and LB. And we need to do that with a cap that is almost certainly going to be lower than it was this year. JS is going to have his hands full for sure. Will be very interesting to see how he handles it.

Of course that's going to leave us with a big hole at RB, but I guess I'm in the minority in believing that Penny can be a featured back based on what he was doing before he got hurt. And he's shown flashes in other games as well, but has never gotten the amount of carries that a RB needs in order to get into a rhythm. More importantly, they need to learn how to use him properly. He's not a CC ground and pound type of back.

I agree with others that Dallas and Homer are nothing more than situational role players. But just like they did with Hyde this year, they can either resign him, or find someone similar on a reasonable contract to rotate with Penny at a cost much lower than it would take to resign Carson. And with a lower cap, there should be plenty of them out there to choose from.

chris98251

Reaction score
TraderGary":1yq5lqql said:
I'm a CC fan. He's as tough as they come. But he's a RB that would rather run over people than run around them. Because of that type of running style, his body takes a lot of punishment which is exactly why we see him missing time on occasion.

Carson is only 26 years old, but because of the pounding he takes, he likely has a body of a RB years older. Because of this, I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank, and the only way I would extend him is if it's on a very team friendly contract for 1-3 years max. If he's looking for top 5 RB money, I would just have to tell him, "thank you for being a great Seahawk, and I wish you all the best."

Even if he was worth top 5 RB money, we can't afford to pay him that when we have so many other holes to fill on both the OL and DL, secondary, and depth at WR and LB. And we need to do that with a cap that is almost certainly going to be lower than it was this year. JS is going to have his hands full for sure. Will be very interesting to see how he handles it.

Of course that's going to leave us with a big hole at RB, but I guess I'm in the minority in believing that Penny can be a featured back based on what he was doing before he got hurt. And he's shown flashes in other games as well, but has never gotten the amount of carries that a RB needs in order to get into a rhythm. More importantly, they need to learn how to use him properly. He's not a CC ground and pound type of back.

I agree with others that Dallas and Homer are nothing more than situational role players. But just like they did with Hyde this year, they can either resign him, or find someone similar on a reasonable contract to rotate with Penny at a cost much lower than it would take to resign Carson. And with a lower cap, there should be plenty of them out there to choose from.

This is where you are wrong, mentality , hands he catches well, he blocks, he runs with purpose and breaks tackles after contact when others will go down, he strives for the extra yard where others will go down he has good speed to go with all that and is a great team mate, leader, and motivator.

Thats quite a package, now go to Walmart and find one with all that, only thing I wish he had was some thickness to his legs and body, that would mean about 20 more pounds. which would take him from 222 to 242 a more ideal size for what we ask.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The cap next year has everything to do with signing him.
I think he is gone unless he agrees to a lower one year deal,
who knows how he sees it.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
TreeRon":h0r7u7fh said:
Deciding to make Penny the Hawks feature back going forward would be a huge gamble. I don't see it happening. More likely he's let go.

Let go? If you are saying he will be let go before his contract is up, you couldn’t be more wrong. Just look at CJ Procise as an example of this. He could injure himself making a sandwich, yet they held onto him through the end of his contract. Penny has shown much more upside than Procise and has contributed more. Let’s see how he plays until the end of his contract before putting a fork in him.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1wk0xufh said:
TreeRon":1wk0xufh said:
Deciding to make Penny the Hawks feature back going forward would be a huge gamble. I don't see it happening. More likely he's let go.

Let go? If you are saying he will be let go before his contract is up, you couldn’t be more wrong. Just look at CJ Procise as an example of this. He could injure himself making a sandwich, yet they held onto him through the end of his contract. Penny has shown much more upside than Procise and has contributed more. Let’s see how he plays until the end of his contract before putting a fork in him.

I don't think TR thinks he'll be released; next to no chance of that. But there is virtually no way he is the feature back next year.

kf3339

Reaction score
Just wait and see. Next year will be a RB by committee approach.

No one RB will be the feature back on this team. I see Penny and probably Hyde as a solid tandem with different running styles. Hyde will assume the Carson physical running style and Penny will be the cut and slash who outruns the defense. Dallas will be the third down back. Backing them will be Homer and Scarborough. That is if we don't take a RB in the later rounds of the draft. Personally I don't see a drafted RB as we have few picks and more important needs.

We also have Collins who might stick around in some form or another. Possibly even an FA who needs a fresh start and will sign an incentive laden deal. Who knows. Carson I'm almost certain is gone.

The RB position just by its nature causes more injuries than most other position groups. Dominant RB's that also stay healthy an entire season are becoming a rarity. The better odds favor a committee approach where your team doesn't rely on just one back. It just makes far more sense to me.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Carson is the type of RB Pete covets. He runs hard and delivers blows to the D punishing them when they tackle him. He'd rather deliver a blow and hit the defensive player than step out of bounds. Naturally this style leads to injury.

Carson has been a hugely successful 7th round pick for the team and fits the physical play mentality Pete would prefer. The team is much better on O when he plays and can be counted upon.

The team has trained Carson to not drop the ball which was an issue to start with and that caused him to be benched early for short periods. He energizes the OLine and the O when he runs hard and is good at conveying short yardage situations. I think Aros has got it dead right above here and the team will of course try to keep Carson, but his injury history certainly reduces his market value and he has performed well enough to be paid well but perhaps not as much as he thinks he should.

So far little I've seen from Penny indicates he could be the lead back and he's had injury issues completely inconsistent from his college history. The others except Hyde are just guys and none but Scarborough hold much interest to me. Scarborough could, if he can return, be a punisher. He was running hard against AZ and certainly caused me to be disappointed when he got hurt.

Money will be the deciding issue for Carson next season as to whether he remains on the team.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3kdni8bh said:
Carson is the type of RB Pete covets. He runs hard and delivers blows to the D punishing them when they tackle him. He'd rather deliver a blow and hit the defensive player than step out of bounds. Naturally this style leads to injury.

Carson has been a hugely successful 7th round pick for the team and fits the physical play mentality Pete would prefer. The team is much better on O when he plays and can be counted upon.

The team has trained Carson to not drop the ball which was an issue to start with and that caused him to be benched early for short periods. He energizes the OLine and the O when he runs hard and is good at conveying short yardage situations. I think Aros has got it dead right above here and the team will of course try to keep Carson, but his injury history certainly reduces his market value and he has performed well enough to be paid well but perhaps not as much as he thinks he should.

So far little I've seen from Penny indicates he could be the lead back and he's had injury issues completely inconsistent from his college history. The others except Hyde are just guys and none but Scarborough hold much interest to me. Scarborough could, if he can return, be a punisher. He was running hard against AZ and certainly caused me to be disappointed when he got hurt.

Money will be the deciding issue for Carson next season as to whether he remains on the team.

Good post, but I'd add in that money + "length of term" will be the deciding factors, and this is what makes it a little more complicated to get him signed.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Bottom line....I believe that it all depends on what his agent says that another team is offering to pay him. I think that Chris wants to stay in Seattle. How close can John Schneider come to matching those offers?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Somehow I just really expect Carson will be a Seahawk for a couple more years. He is a better fit and more valued here than anywhere else. I expect a 2-year deal, or maybe longer, with 2 years of guaranteed.

The guys in the league who are *better* than Carson? Fairly short list. Dalvin Cook. Derrick Henry. Chubb of the Browns. Maybe a handful of others. Those guys are only "better" because they are more of a threat to break long runs. Carson is every bit as likely to get the tough yards, and the 5 and 12 yard runs, but somehow rarely hits the 40-yard to-the-house runs.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I agree, Carson is very much underrated by many here. He is solidly a top ten RB and knocking hard on being a top five. If he wasn’t somewhat injury prone or playing up here in So. Alaska he’d be very much in the top 5 conversation.

He fits the team’s style well and deserves a second contract. The term of the deal will by need have to reflect that while he is young his body has considerable mileage on it. This player is another solid JS draft pick for those who are haters.

Running back is a very fungible position and should have different contractual rules as they tend to have a much shorter shelf life than other positions. That said there’s are a few around who have had very long and distinguished careers, I just don’t know about Carson being able to continue that way given his tough running style.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":365xlras said:
I agree, Carson is very much underrated by many here. He is solidly a top ten RB and knocking hard on being a top five. If he wasn’t somewhat injury prone or playing up here in So. Alaska he’d be very much in the top 5 conversation.

He fits the team’s style well and deserves a second contract. The term of the deal will by need have to reflect that while he is young his body has considerable mileage on it. This player is another solid JS draft pick for those who are haters.

Running back is a very fungible position and should have different contractual rules as they tend to have a much shorter shelf life than other positions. That said there’s are a few around who have had very long and distinguished careers, I just don’t know about Carson being able to continue that way given his tough running style.

Carson was a Pete Pick, he had went to see him play, he was in a pass oriented offense and was injured his Junior year, he was a runner that shied away from contact also.

Pete talked to him and told him he needed to get a tougher mentality and he could be a NFL player. He did and that's why we picked him up, he was on nobodies radar.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Petey will always have a stable of RBs, he is a run first old skool kind of guy. There are, what, 5 running backs on the squad right now? To some extent they are interchangeable/expendable given the circumstances of the particular game.

Tho, we have a pretty good passing game this year.

Carson will continue on as long as he can produce more than be a burden on the team. At least as far as the $$ goes. And if you think Carson is looking at termination, just think back to CJ Prosise.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Prosise played 25 games over 4 years with the Hawks. Less than 1 in 3 if you count playoffs.

PNW

Reaction score
chris98251":2bmyww4n said:
jammerhawk":2bmyww4n said:

Carson was a Pete Pick, he had went to see him play, he was in a pass oriented offense and was injured his Junior year, he was a runner that shied away from contact also.

Pete talked to him and told him he needed to get a tougher mentality and he could be a NFL player. He did and that's why we picked him up, he was on nobodies radar.
Can he go back to shying away from contact some again to stay healthy? Or at least pick his battles a little wiser?