Tyler Lockett

OP
OP
TreeRon

TreeRon

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2ycdq3jf said:
12th Dimension":2ycdq3jf said:
I like Tyler’s skill set but he doesn’t get YAC and can’t get the extra yard when needed. We knew that given his size/weight coming in. He’s a nice receiver with limitations.

See I think he can. He was a hell of a punt returner when he came in. The problem is he makes no attempt. Like none. I can see running, then getting down if contact is imminent. But he drops to the ground immediately after making the catch most of the time. It's very frustrating.

Given his injuries, one wonders if he's coached to make the catch and if a tackle is imminent, go down.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He was the #65 player in the entire NFL 100 according to the players - so certainly a top receiver.

Not top 7? Well consider how many targets he even gets and how effective he is once targeted.

I doubt many WRs, maybe Diggs, can get the kind of results Lockett gets for us.

I am just going to leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjrHuG2LfXg&t=662s

Pretty much explains how effective Lockett is.

5thgen

Reaction score
There are definitely 7, if not more receivers I'd take before Lockett if they are available.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Not counting our own DK, here’s the receivers I would take over Lockett:

Chris Godwin
Terry McLaurin
Justin Jefferson
Deebo Samuel
Deandre Hopkins
Tyreek Hill
Davante Adams
Amari Cooper
Cooper Kupp
Michael Thomas
Odell Beckham Jr
Julio Jones
Allen Robinson
Stefon Diggs

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3j4si54d said:
I'm going to say something unpopular, I think Tyler Lockett is grossly overrated around here. Lockett is a very good receiver, don't go me wrong but he is not a top 10 type of receiver. He isn't a receiver that teams fear nor is he a guy teams have to shift their coverage over to contain. He's a good route runner, with good hands -- he is a possession receiver. Very much so a Bobby Engram sort of player and you know what? That is alright. He doesn't have to be a mega threat.

DK Metcalf is 100 percent a better receiver. He isn't as polished as Lockett, nor is he as reliable, but there is something you all should have noticed last season. Teams were shifting their coverage towards his side, accounting for him on every snap and keeping eyes on him. I've never seen teams game plan for Lockett in the same way and that should tell you something. His drops are frustrating, yes but he absolutely makes it easier for every player on the Seahawks to operate. He has the ability to take a short yardage pass in turn it into a big gain. He has the ability to punish a CB for even the slightest misstep and take it to the house. Metcalf made fools out of some of the best CBs in the business in one on one coverage situations.

Lockett also tends to disappear for long stretches of time and get banged up. Lockett is a good receiver, and he is quite possibly the best number 2 in the game. That being said he isn't a top 10 receiver. He's a negative asset when it comes to YAC, he isn't necessarily great at the jump ball, and he tends to disappear at times. Lockett is a great route runner with good hands. He is a possession receiver that moves the chains. He's really good at what he does, but he's not a player that demands the same sort of micromanaging from defenses that DK does.
Truth, right here! Couldn’t agree more.

Jville

Reaction score
The type of receiver a grader values the most ........ tends to show up at the top of their list.

That's more of a reflection of the grader than the player.

There is a huge difference between impact receivers and clutch or procession receivers. Many seem to flip out over towering physical receivers early on in their careers. While, it is common to struggle with appreciating other types of receivers. Having a mix of receiver types on the same team is a big advantage. It provides opportunities to exploit favorable week to week match ups.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Jville":2b9vwihn said:
Having a mix of receiver types on the same team is a big advantage. It provides opportunities to exploit favorable week to week match ups.
While this is optimal the problem of course is that there's only so much money to go around. If Metcalf continues to develop and appears worth a top dollar extension then we left in the unenviable position of realizing that no team can afford a top paid QB and two top paid WRs.

Russ had a $35.0m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $32m.
Tyler had a $13.7m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $15m.
DK had a $17.4m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $1.3m.

They are three of our best players but that doesn't look possible to manage in 2022 and Tyler is on expiring contract so if he has trade value that's a prudent move to make now.

Jville

Reaction score
AgentDib":wcqymy7w said:
Jville":wcqymy7w said:
Having a mix of receiver types on the same team is a big advantage. It provides opportunities to exploit favorable week to week match ups.
While this is optimal the problem of course is that there's only so much money to go around. If Metcalf continues to develop and appears worth a top dollar extension then we left in the unenviable position of realizing that no team can afford a top paid QB and two top paid WRs.

Russ had a $35.0m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $32m.
Tyler had a $13.7m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $15m.
DK had a $17.4m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $1.3m.

They are three of our best players but that doesn't look possible to manage in 2022 and Tyler is on expiring contract so if he has trade value that's a prudent move to make now.

I don't see the pressing need to trade any of the three in 2021. Doing so would only create a self inflicted hole in the offensive roster. There are already questions to be addressed at running back, tight end and the balance of the receiver corp. Given that this is the final year of Tyler Lockett's current contract, carving out some 2021 cap space thru a Lockett contract extension is a possibility.

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks do need to do something with Lockett. Extend him multiple years, and lower his 2021 cap number, or trade him. Renting him for 1 year and letting him walk after this year is not a sound football decision.

I am in the extend camp, but the Seahawks internally have more info on his medical and how they feel he will hold up in future years. Trading him to JAX would fetch some mighty fine draft capitol if they wanted to go down that road.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":ruynbfuy said:
Tyler is the Bobby Engram of this team. He has the most reliable hands on the core and doesn't get the respect he deserves.
You are exactly right Cyrus, he is a Bobby Engram clone, but all some folks see is the FLASHY and DK undoubtedly has that in spades. :shock:
I'm hoping that DK will become more clutch as he gathers more experience & tricks of the trade...He reeks with confidence, but Engram..er I mean Lockett by far, has the softer hands. :vodka:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2wpr4kkn said:
Cyrus12":2wpr4kkn said:
Tyler is the Bobby Engram of this team. He has the most reliable hands on the core and doesn't get the respect he deserves.
You are exactly right Cyrus, he is a Bobby Engram clone, but all some folks see is the FLASHY and DK undoubtedly has that in spades. :shock:
I'm hoping that DK will become more clutch as he gathers more experience & tricks of the trade...He reeks with confidence, but Engram..er I mean Lockett by far, has the softer hands. :vodka:

Doesn't make Lockett the better receiver whatsoever. He's good, but saying he's better than DK overall is borderline slanderous.

SwissCheese77

Reaction score
Tical21":36vux0e6 said:
Tyler is lowkey washed.

I do have a little sneaky suspicion that he isn't getting the separation that he used to. But I don't have the All-22 or enough analytics at my disposal to look into that.

If anyone who does wants to dive into that, I think it would be really interesting to see. Because I've got to imagine that some part of our passing game sputtering was our guys lot getting open.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I do think Lockett lost something since that injury, it's obvious, but DK Metcalf is not the better overall receiver right now.

If I'm in a situation where the Seahawks need a first down, I'm looking to Tyler before DK. Simple as that and I think anyone ranking a receiver on that basis puts Tyler first.

That said, DK has far more potential going forward than Tyler. So I mean, if this is a 'forward looking' type list, then DK Metcalf is who you go with. If it's a list of 'who's going to get you a first down TODAY?' it's Lockett.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tyler didn't lose anything other then Targets and the type of routes he was assigned to run, Splash plays is part of what Pete likes, DK was getting more attempts at splash plays.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":2rbkiegm said:
I do think Lockett lost something since that injury, it's obvious, but DK Metcalf is not the better overall receiver right now.

If I'm in a situation where the Seahawks need a first down, I'm looking to Tyler before DK. Simple as that and I think anyone ranking a receiver on that basis puts Tyler first.

That said, DK has far more potential going forward than Tyler. So I mean, if this is a 'forward looking' type list, then DK Metcalf is who you go with. If it's a list of 'who's going to get you a first down TODAY?' it's Lockett.

If catch rate were the end-all-be-all for wide receivers, sure. But Metcalf last year put up a season that Lockett hasn't sniffed in his career. Metcalf is bigger, faster, and more explosive, and it shows.

It isn't a competition. DK is easily the better receiver of the two.

Jville

Reaction score
In 2020, only kicker Jason Myers put more points on the board than Tyler Lockett.