Tyvis Powell - I'm a Big Fan

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think this guy is going to make the team, and make people ask "How did this guy not get drafted?"

"When the disappointing reality set in for Tyvis Powell, he still had a big decision to make. The safety from Ohio State was passed over by 32 NFL teams for all seven rounds of the 2016 draft, but that didn’t mean teams weren’t interested in Powell. Powell’s phone was ringing non-stop as the draft came to an end, calls from scouts, coaches and general managers hoping to sign him as an undrafted free agent, and in the end Powell didn’t choose the team with the least depth at safety, or the one closest to his hometown of Bedford, Ohio. Instead, Powell wanted to compete to be a part of the NFL’s best secondary."

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/08/18 ... D-seahawks

"“(Seattle) is definitely more competitive — it’s the hardest team to make in the NFL.” he said in the video, while thinking of his options. “I’m not worried about that. Learning from the best — learning from the two best safeties in the NFL. Seattle. Yeah, I’ll go to Seattle.”

With performances like the one he had in Kansas City, Powell is proving to everyone why he could be here to stay."

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... o-the-nfl/

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Didn't they complete like 5 passes in a row at him on Thursday while he was playing corner? He got gifted an interception off a tip ball in game 1 and had a big hit/block on special team. Other than that, I haven't seen much that would warrant him over Burley or McCray(sp?).

I think his ceiling is PS this year.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
jdemps":2kcdqqht said:
Didn't they complete like 5 passes in a row at him on Thursday while he was playing corner? He got gifted an interception off a tip ball in game 1 and had a big hit/block on special team. Other than that, I haven't seen much that would warrant him over Burley or McCray(sp?).

I think you're correct, there just aren't enough spots available, but he has the right attitude, he plays all out on Special Teams, and has the ability, with time to be a very good safety.

I see Burley as average, good depth, and McCrae hasn't really shown up until this year. He had some flashes before, but always left me wondering if he would be around in 2016. Well he's definitely earned that.

He performed well in the combine, 4.46 in the forty, 6'3" almost 33" long arms, 210 pounds so the numbers are there. And there's this:

"His overall intelligence and knack for making plays at critical times won't hurt his cause."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyv ... id=2555379

Basis4day

Reaction score
jdemps":21w1350q said:

He played fine at safety and played very well on special teams. He was out of position at corner.
They're looking at backups and for ST contributors. It's not like hes expected to start.

I think he makes the 53. I don't think there is much dropoff between him and Terrel, and you get Powell for 3 years v Terrel's 1.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Certainly he is one of those guys that was significantly under appreciated by the "draft experts", but not by the Hawks front office." He looks to be a guy who has a solid shot at making the team. Hope he seizes his opportunities in this last preseason game.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The game tomorrow is obviously still important but I have him making the 53 as well. I think he'll be inactive with McCray as the primary backup to start the season but then expect him to be an active contributor down the road especially on ST as injuries pile up.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seems a guy that can make impact plays. Looked like a guy thinking of what to do at corner which is completely understandable.

A lot of quality DBs in our system looked generally lost their first times out (Maxwell, Sherman, Thurmond, Parker, Shead etc.) It's not a sin to look out of place. Particularly that he was moving around and the team was trying him out at multiple positions.

Don't know if he makes the 53. Seems his competition is now Terrell for that last spot. Kid flashed and that's what you needed to see. Has some versatility and can grow. Just what you want from your bottom depth on the chart.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
jdemps":3f67ygfx said:

He will be used as a safety, so this means nothing

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

dogorama

Reaction score
I'm somewhat of a fan too but mainly because he's a good kid and I felt bad for him watching that video of him waiting to be drafted. The fact remains, however, that he was NOT an LOB type player coming out of college. Yes he's fast and he is a playmaker, BUT he is tentative in his tackling and lacks the aggressiveness that has come to be associated w/the LOB.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555379

v1rotv2

Reaction score
dogorama":35lsee5g said:
I'm somewhat of a fan too but mainly because he's a good kid and I felt bad for him watching that video of him waiting to be drafted. The fact remains, however, that he was NOT an LOB type player coming out of college. Yes he's fast and he is a playmaker, BUT he is tentative in his tackling and lacks the aggressiveness that has come to be associated w/the LOB.

I think this is exactly what he will learn from the LOB and is why he selected the Hawks. His stated goal was to learn from the best. If the LOB can put their stamp on him all is good.

McGruff

Reaction score
v1rotv2":sv9reua1 said:
dogorama":sv9reua1 said:

I think this is exactly what he will learn from the LOB and is why he selected the Hawks. His stated goal was to learn from the best. If the LOB can put their stamp on him all is good.

Richard Sherman has admitted to being a pansy when he first came to Seattle, and that his biggest lesson was learning to be physical. It can be taught.

dogorama

Reaction score
McGruff":3jnklilv said:
v1rotv2":3jnklilv said:
dogorama":3jnklilv said:

Richard Sherman has admitted to being a pansy when he first came to Seattle, and that his biggest lesson was learning to be physical. It can be taught.

If I were him I would go out and find somebody to pop TONIGHT!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It speaks volumes about Powell that they got rid of Browner. And what it peaks is that they think they have another Browner, coverage warts and all. Like others have said, he seems to the the big physical version of Jordan Babineaux, a liability in fundamentals but still bringing value through splash plays and statements. Like Browner.

dogorama

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":f8xf363y said:
It speaks volumes about Powell that they got rid of Browner. And what it peaks is that they think they have another Browner, coverage warts and all. Like others have said, he seems to the the big physical version of Jordan Babineaux, a liability in fundamentals but still bringing value through splash plays and statements. Like Browner.

Not to contradict you but Browner is just plain done. Coming out of college he ran a 4.63 40 and that probably had a lot to do w/him not being drafted. In spite of that he was quick enough and physical enough to build a career out of jamming receivers off the line and smothering ball carriers. He ran that 4.63 ten years ago, lately, receivers are running right by him and that is why he was the most penalized player in the NFL last year. It's highly unlikely anyone is going to pick him up.

Powell is kind of the opposite, he runs a 4.46 40 and is considered a good playmaker going to the ball. Unfortunately, and unlike Browner, he doesn't possess that physicality and is more often than not driven back by the ball carrier. That lack of physicality is probably why he didn't get drafted. Personally, I think there's been a fair amount of hype surrounding his preseason play which basically just centers around a INT that just bounced off a receiver into his hands and an almost goal line save of a punt.

I'm definitely rooting for him, but he's got a lot to prove.

Largent80

Reaction score
He failed to turn around to the ball ala Kelley Jennings in the last game and the result was a TD.

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":175095zo said:
He failed to turn around to the ball ala Kelley Jennings in the last game and the result was a TD.

Difference is Jenning was a corner, and Powell is a safety. Granted he was playing out of position at CB, but he's a safety.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Powell is being trained to play multiple positions in order to get the most out of him and give him the best chance to earn a spot on the roster ala DeShawn Shead. Powell is rough at CB because he's coming in as a Safety but he has the tools to make it work. Give the coaching staff some time to coach him up. Shead is going into his 5th year after coming in as an undrafted rookie Safety in 2012 and then training at just about every single DB position, and now it's looking like he's going to be starting at CB opposite of Sherman. I see a similar path for Powell.