Underdogs at ATL?

The Grouch

Reaction score
Vegas has the Seahawks as underdogs at ATL... various lines have them favored by between 1 and 3 points. :34853_doh:

I don't know about all that, it will be a tough game for sure, but underdogs? I see the Seahawks as 3-7 point favorites. On the Road... If it were in Seattle I could see them by 10+...

Thoughts?

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Why would anyone be surprised that Atlanta is favored (#1 NFC seed, 3k mile trip, great offense/bend don't break defense)?

What I'm more surprised about are that the Seahawks aren't going to stay on the east coast and practice all week down there.

hawker84

Reaction score
3pts on the road is basically a wash... even teamed games always go in favor of the home team... ATL is a good team, will be a tough road test, especially in the early slot... but again, if we show up especially our d we should compete well....

Decimation

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":28a5rmr8 said:
Why would anyone be surprised that Atlanta is favored (#1 NFC seed, 3k mile trip, great offense/bend don't break defense)?

What I'm more surprised about are that the Seahawks aren't going to stay on the east coast and practice all week down there.
That's what I was thinking as well. Would have gave us an advantage to stay in the east.

OP
OP
The Grouch

The Grouch

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":p0r2xvu5 said:

I would agree to a point, but break they will... of course my opinion is biased, and I never have liked the "Dirty Birds", but I see this one as a Seahawks victory. The matchup is better than it was against the Skins...

OP
OP
The Grouch

The Grouch

Reaction score
I guess what I don't get is that as dangerous and hot as the Skins were, we were favored on the road.... not the case this week against a team that is really, IMO not as hot, and nearly one dimensional.

Bipolar

Reaction score
the good thing about Atlanta is that their running game sucks and it is nicely matched by medicority of their run defense.
our strengths are running the ball and our elite secondary to contain their receivers.

in other words, if we capitalize on our strengths and do what we do well, we will absolutely win this game.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Bipolar":16zx6mux said:
the good thing about Atlanta is that their running game sucks and it is nicely matched by medicority of their run defense.
our strengths are running the ball and our elite secondary to contain their receivers.

in other words, if we capitalize on our strengths and do what we do well, we will absolutely win this game.

This.

However, one of our "weaknesses" seems to be a lack of pressure on the QB...and if Matty has time to throw he could tear us apart. They have three receivers that are big, athletic, experienced, and have great hands. I see us giving up a lot of yards, and maybe 20+ pts...but I also see us scoring almost at will and beating these guys.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Atlanta is a damn good team. Might not have the "tough" label applied but neither did our '05 team and they were badass. ATL can play. But, if they are favored by 3 or less, that is a push since the home team is given ~3 off the top in most cases. You'd think a home game in the playoffs would get at least that, so I'd say what we are getting is pretty good.

GCrow

Reaction score
Has anyone seen Matt Ryan's record at the Georgia Dome? (33-5 fyi)

lukerguy

Reaction score
Throwdown":2rg8c9rb said:
No I'm not surprised, ATL is a good ass team.

If you mean good ass means they had the lowest strength of schedule in the league then I would agree with you.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
OH MY GOD!! The Number 1 seed in the NFC is a slight favorite against the 5 seed in a home game! This is a travesty and a sham and a mockery. IT'S A TRAVASHAMOCKERY!

OP
OP
The Grouch

The Grouch

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":38wff68x said:
OH MY GOD!! The Number 1 seed in the NFC is a slight favorite against the 5 seed in a home game! This is a travesty and a sham and a mockery. IT'S A TRAVASHAMOCKERY!
:th2thumbs:

Alright, yeah, all that...
(It stil makes me ill)
This one is dead...

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Grouch":14igwjp4 said:
I guess what I don't get is that as dangerous and hot as the Skins were, we were favored on the road.... not the case this week against a team that is really, IMO not as hot, and nearly one dimensional.
I think you are pretty severely underrating the Falcons. They are much, much better than the Redskins with an injured RG3 are.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I agree with the majority of posters here. I would have been completely floored if the Hawks were favored when betting opened.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I'm glad, I hope we are underdogs the whole way, better for this teams mindset.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Of course they're underdogs. How could they not be playing the #1 seed at their house? But the fact that the Hawks are less than a 3 pt underdog should tell you who's people are betting on in Vegas.

Besides, I think the Hawks play better in the underdog role......as we saw in the first quarter yesterday, the players reading and hearing all that hype isn't a good thing. Now they can go back to their usual "we're being disrespected and have something to prove" roles.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Atlanta kinda reminds me of the '05 Hawks... good, but not great QB who can surely beat you. Gaudy record, maybe under-appreciated because of recent playoff failures. Not necessarily the "toughest" squad on earth, but a prideful one with what's got to be a burning desire to validate itself with a victory. They're going to be a tough foe, no question about it, and league's refusal to handle body clock issues responsibly doesn't help.

Nonetheless, these Hawks seem to have a hunger -- and poise, somehow -- that's different than anything I've ever seen, and I don't see how Atlanta will be able to contain it.