US Mens Soccer

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":9s9n67lj said:
Smurf":9s9n67lj said:
Uncle Si":9s9n67lj said:
knownone":9s9n67lj said:
Watching the U20s has got me really excited about the future of the NATs. Gedion Zelalem damn near looks ready for a senior call up, Emerson Hyndman and Cameron Vickers are as polished at this level as I've seen for the US. Throw in Jordan Morris and we may be on the verge of a golden generation of sorts.

Three of the players with the brightest futures didnt even play:

Erick Palmer-Brown (Sporting, possibly to Roma)
Cody Cropper (Southampton, U23 Captain)
Mukwele Akwele (Villareal, U18)

Palmer-Brown played last night. From what I saw of the game (I passed out at some point), he was decent. Got caught out a bunch.

As a college kid, doesn't he have to go back through the draft? Interesting path he is taking.. as for Europe.. well, his former Sounder and current USMNT teammate may have some advice for him

Palmer-Brown is 18, by the way.

College doesn't mean anything in regards to home grown eligibility. So he's fine for bypassing the draft.

As for Yedlin, I think he will see some time this next season for Spurs. I think they let him acclimate to the new situation. Then he picked up an injury with the Nats which kind of delayed him further.

Many Spurs fans are really high on him. Many think he's a better crosser of the ball than Walker (surprised me) and are impressed by his pace.

On the other hand, many of them want him to play as a midfielder....which I still don't think is his best position

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smurf":3lx20roi said:
As for Yedlin, I think he will see some time this next season for Spurs. I think they let him acclimate to the new situation. Then he picked up an injury with the Nats which kind of delayed him further.

Many Spurs fans are really high on him. Many think he's a better crosser of the ball than Walker (surprised me) and are impressed by his pace.

On the other hand, many of them want him to play as a midfielder....which I still don't think is his best position
Considering Klinsmann plays him at RW for the National team, it would make sense for him to play there on his club team as well. Besides, has his defense improved that much that he's better than other options at RB?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
How many Spurs fans do you know?

I'm actually surrounded by them out here and they don't have much to say about him. That said... Yedlin will be a winger/outside midfielder in pretty much every set up he goes.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1k0n8ug8 said:

I'm actually surrounded by them out here and they don't have much to say about him. That said... Yedlin will be a winger/outside midfielder in pretty much every set up he goes.

15-20.

Yedlin lacks the technical ability to be a winger in the EPL.

He can defend, and has improved a great deal in a short time.

RB is where his future is.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3v7q69us said:
Uncle Si":3v7q69us said:

15-20.

That's what they said about Bale.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":28469ajs said:
Smurf":28469ajs said:
Uncle Si":28469ajs said:

15-20.

That's what they said about Bale.

People say lots of things about players.

IMO, Yedlin is a right back and should always be a right back.

I would love the kid to prove me wrong.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
People do, Smurf. As you are. He is proving you wrong...

He's clearly being groomed as a winger/wide player in both club and country. He's contributed significantly when he's played there with the US and given the depth in the position at Spurs many of the supporters I know see him filling a similar role.

Lots of wing backs make the change when managers realize they were made defenders because they were fast but lacked technical skill. Change is not that historic

Smurf

Reaction score
U-20's beat Colombia 1-0 to advance to the Quarter Finals. They will be playing Serbia.

Senior team plays Germany today. Should be a good test.

Smurf

Reaction score
CHH8sPgUUAAHbuz.jpg

This was a huge part of the USA's win over Colombia. Compact team defending. 4141 was brilliant.

Steffan in goal was superb. Had a wonderful PK save.

Rubin's goal was a great finish as well.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Great win for them. The U20s dont possess much (if you watch them play over a course of time, they really just go forward through the middle). That's essentially parking the bus. Not a bad tactic against a team with superior technical skill in the middle. Columbia forced to go wide and didnt really enjoy it.

I like Rubin.. will give the US more forward options heading into 2018 (with Morris, Zardes, Green and Wood). Lots of speed to run off Jozy's hold up play.. now, about that midfield...

Cropper up with the biggins today vs. Germany.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2g21zd5f said:
Great win for them. The U20s dont possess much (if you watch them play over a course of time, they really just go forward through the middle). That's essentially parking the bus. Not a bad tactic against a team with superior technical skill in the middle. Columbia forced to go wide and didnt really enjoy it.

I like Rubin.. will give the US more forward options heading into 2018 (with Morris, Zardes, Green and Wood). Lots of speed to run off Jozy's hold up play.. now, about that midfield...

Cropper up with the biggins today vs. Germany.

Agreed, I really like how we look at the forward position towards the future. Looks like a solid group. Midfield concerns me a little. I'd like to see Trapp, Shipp and Thompson get more looks with the nats. All are U-23 and should be in the convo for the Olympic team. Trapp is a solid holding midfielder while Shipp and Thompson play more as withdrawn strikers. Both could easily play out wide.

I also liked what I saw from Zalalem. Looked to match the hype.

DonovanJM

Reaction score
After one half against Germany and I can't help but being reminded of when my kids were younger and they would scrimmage teams a few years older. Back then it was expected because the other kids were older and had more coaching and experience. Despite the score it's a bit frustrating. IIjust get the feeling that the Germans are going to get serious in the second have and take it to us even more.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DonovanJM":22tqacea said:
After one half against Germany and I can't help but being reminded of when my kids were younger and they would scrimmage teams a few years older. Back then it was expected because the other kids were older and had more coaching and experience. Despite the score it's a bit frustrating. IIjust get the feeling that the Germans are going to get serious in the second have and take it to us even more.

Its been an entertaining match, no?

Possession isn't goals..While it can be frustrating to watch sometimes. But Germany wants control of the ball. its how they play. the US has always been set up to break up possession and counter, its how they play. (the buildup to their goal also included 30 passes... 30!)

The game is level at half. hard to say which team's plan is working.

Also, Gold Cup roster is out: No Cropper, Geoff Cameron, Jermaine Jones, Danny Williams, Julian Green, Miguel Ibarra or Bobby Wood.
http://seahawks.net/posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=1642615

The handling of Ibarra is an issue for me. He's been pulled from his MN FC NASL team alot over the last few months. he's barely given an opportunity, missed several games for this club (including loan opportunities) and now has been left off a 35 man roster.

Why even bother with him?

DonovanJM

Reaction score
I'm definitely not a soccer guru. I know more than the average American. Which isn't saying a whole lot. Probably quite a bit more than the average American but still not a lot overall. I guess it was the 70% to 30% possession that frustrated me the most. The second half is looking better to me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DonovanJM":1vul82ky said:
I'm definitely not a soccer guru. I know more than the average American. Which isn't saying a whole lot. Probably quite a bit more than the average American but still not a lot overall. I guess it was the 70% to 30% possession that frustrated me the most. The second half is looking better to me.

70-30 is alot more possession than the US would want to give up, to be fair. Just pointing out the two philosophical differences between the two sides. The US are capable of coming out and playing more possession soccer, but rarely do in big European matches. They prefer to play it safer.

Much better 2nd half for sure though. They've come out a little and really have pressed the attack a bit more.

DonovanJM

Reaction score
I figure I probably know enough to know what's going on on the field but not quite enough to see the intricacies. The game inside the game. I generally don't see if a team changes shapes or philosophies during a game. That sort of stuff.

Latest posts