We DID consider AR…

WarHawks

Reaction score
I don't mind that they didn't force the issue, but it still leaves us in a weak position if Geno regresses and if Lock isn't the answer either. We still have no long term qbotf locked up, unless Geno surprises us and all of a sudden becomes a world beater. Fingers crossed.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I don't mind that they didn't force the issue, but it still leaves us in a weak position if Geno regresses and if Lock isn't the answer either. We still have no long term qbotf locked up, unless Geno surprises us and all of a sudden becomes a world beater. Fingers crossed.
Even worse, they are clearly building the roster up, so if Geno regresses we are likely going to be stuck in the mid teens/low 20's draft pick range for awhile. That is one reason I hoped they would grab a QB, but if they didn't believe in Levis, not sure how that would have played out.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Even worse, they are clearly building the roster up, so if Geno regresses we are likely going to be stuck in the mid teens/low 20's draft pick range for awhile. That is one reason I hoped they would grab a QB, but if they didn't believe in Levis, not sure how that would have played out.
If they identify a guy in the future, then they have the option to trade up for him. Just like the Chiefs did with Mahomes. They we're picking in the late 20's & acquired the 10th pick that year to grab him.

Maybe Richardson becomes a great QB eventually. But they clearly weren't sold on him. Otherwise, they would have made a move (trade) for him.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
If they identify a guy in the future, then they have the option to trade up for him. Just like the Chiefs did with Mahomes. They we're picking in the late 20's & acquired the 10th pick that year to grab him.

Maybe Richardson becomes a great QB eventually. But they clearly weren't sold on him. Otherwise, they would have made a move (trade) for him.
I don't know if they did like AR or not, but I don't think they had much opportunity to trade up for him. Carolina, Houston and Imdy weren't going to trade and AZ isn't going to give the pick to a division rival over the Houston offer IMO.

Additionally, it doesn't make sense to me to give up multiple firsts to trade up for a QB, when you already have a top pick to use. Obviously it didn't work out, but it feels like a wasted opportunity.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It seems obvious they were considering him at 5. Multiple reports have indicated it and its the same reports who also said before hand Carter had no chance of being the pick. Not sure why people are so adamant they didn't want Richardson or heavily considered it. He has all the traits JS has a history of loving, he's a unicorn athlete at a position that transitioning to players like him dominating the sport. If you believe in your coaching abilities and I think Pete does, then I guarantee Pete thinks he can make Richardson a star.

It's also pretty clear from Petes comments that when he went at #4 they were considering him with their next pick.

bileever

Reaction score
The real question: IF Anthony Richardson was available at #5, would the Hawks pick him or Witherspoon?
We'll never know for sure, but I think we would have taken Witherspoon. I think the QB Pete liked was Bryce Young. Like everyone else. But before Young became the favorite, back when there were more concerns about his size, I heard Pete on a Sirius XM radio show and when they asked him which of the QBs he liked in the draft, he wouldn't say, except that he said he would choose the guy you'd want in a pick up game in the park. To me, that's Bryce Young.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
The real question: IF Anthony Richardson was available at #5, would the Hawks pick him or Witherspoon?
That’s tough. Obviously taking AR would’ve been a huge risk. We were definitely a great spot for him to land. He would’ve had a few years to work out the kinks.

He’s getting thrown into the fire in Indy.

Hopefully those reading this thread know it’s not a complaint by bringing this up…I just thought their interest was a lot higher than most expected.

All of us have to be ecstatic about our draft.

How the hell are teams going to pass the ball with ReekDaFreak and Spoon out there?

CactusJack

Reaction score
I don't know if they did like AR or not, but I don't think they had much opportunity to trade up for him. Carolina, Houston and Imdy weren't going to trade and AZ isn't going to give the pick to a division rival over the Houston offer IMO.

Additionally, it doesn't make sense to me to give up multiple firsts to trade up for a QB, when you already have a top pick to use. Obviously it didn't work out, but it feels like a wasted opportunity.
You make Arizona a strong offer. One they can't turn down. If he's the guy that you truly want.

No one will ultimately care what it cost. If that guy becomes the next Mahomes or Josh Allen.

Why was it a "wasted opportunity"? They got the guy they wanted. It was reported that they liked both Will Anderson & Spoon. So Spoon was the guy.

They passed on Levis & Hooker, not once, but twice. They clearly weren't sold enough on either guy.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
We'll never know for sure, but I think we would have taken Witherspoon. I think the QB Pete liked was Bryce Young. Like everyone else. But before Young became the favorite, back when there were more concerns about his size, I heard Pete on a Sirius XM radio show and when they asked him which of the QBs he liked in the draft, he wouldn't say, except that he said he would choose the guy you'd want in a pick up game in the park. To me, that's Bryce Young.
In a pickup game with no pads?Young would get killed for sure.

knownone

Reaction score
Does it matter? We'll never know if they would have drafted him or not.

James in PA

Reaction score
Next year's draft is supposed to be better for QB's, so even if we're picking low, it doesn't mean we won't have very good options. I forget which "expert" said that Levis would have gone ahead of Pickett had they been in the same draft class. Levis was a 2nd rounder in his draft, while Pickett was a 1st rounder in his.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
Next year's draft is supposed to be better for QB's, so even if we're picking low, it doesn't mean we won't have very good options. I forget which "expert" said that Levis would have gone ahead of Pickett had they been in the same draft class. Levis was a 2nd rounder in his draft, while Pickett was a 1st rounder in his.
Next year will definitely have a larger talent pool.

You know, we all remember the “old Geno” and although a handful of folks thought he would do “ok”, no one could’ve predicted a record-setting, Pro Bowl season.

Can’t speak for everyone but, it does cross my mind that he could regress by a large margin.

What if he gets even better?

Geno has put the team in a WONDERFUL spot…gotta love him for that!!

Side note…I’m anxious to see Lock in preseason. It feels like there is something there that we haven’t seen yet…good or bad.

BASF

Reaction score
This Richardson thing on this site is reminding me of the Tebow cult without the winning. There is no way that Richardson was considered when it came down to defense being our main problem. There were two defenders who check all the Seahawk boxes and would get eight hundred or more snaps this season. Richardson might get thirty snaps on gadget plays for the next two seasons as a Seahawk. You don't throw away a number five pick on someone who needs two seasons to be able to run an actual NFL offense.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
This Richardson thing on this site is reminding me of the Tebow cult without the winning. There is no way that Richardson was considered when it came down to defense being our main problem. There were two defenders who check all the Seahawk boxes and would get eight hundred or more snaps this season. Richardson might get thirty snaps on gadget plays for the next two seasons as a Seahawk. You don't throw away a number five pick on someone who needs two seasons to be able to run an actual NFL offense.
You mean like the guy who is the closest comparable to him, Josh Allen? He was crap his first two years and now he's borderline MVP every season. Who cares if he sucked for 2 years, every team who picked ahead of Buffalo would trade multiple 1sts to get him and have him suck for 2 years in the last 5 years.

This idea that a top 5 pick has to come in and pay off immediately is incorrect IMO. The number of top 5 picks who are immediately superstars in the first two years is microscopic. Sauce and Chase are the only 2 who stepped into the league as superstars.

It's all a moot point now, it just feels like a missed opportunity.

warden

Reaction score
Spoon was the best player on our board when it was our turn to pick.

Maybe some of the four players drafted ahead of us where higher on our board then Spoon. If so maybe the team did not feel that there was that big of a value to trade up. Maybe the other teams would not trade with us.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
“Cult” lol.

I’ll state this again…I loved our draft.

Who knows who we would’ve picked had Young, Stroud or Anderson miraculously been available.

Indy took him at 4….not 5…which means that someone or a group that’s likely way more football savvy than anyone else on this board agreed with the pick.

It’s small talk and not condemnation.

HawkeyGoalie

Reaction score
You mean like the guy who is the closest comparable to him, Josh Allen? He was crap his first two years and now he's borderline MVP every season. Who cares if he sucked for 2 years, every team who picked ahead of Buffalo would trade multiple 1sts to get him and have him suck for 2 years in the last 5 years.

This idea that a top 5 pick has to come in and pay off immediately is incorrect IMO. The number of top 5 picks who are immediately superstars in the first two years is microscopic. Sauce and Chase are the only 2 who stepped into the league as superstars.

It's all a moot point now, it just feels like a missed opportunity.
While many do strike gold, there's so much hype in what is really a crapshoot - every year it seems that every one of the Top 5 QB's in the draft are compared to a current NFL MVP QB and most of these Top 5's never live up to these comparisons

CactusJack

Reaction score
“Cult” lol.

I’ll state this again…I loved our draft.

Who knows who we would’ve picked had Young, Stroud or Anderson miraculously been available.

Indy took him at 4….not 5…which means that someone or a group that’s likely way more football savvy than anyone else on this board agreed with the pick.

It’s small talk and not condemnation.
Bryce was their guy out of all the QB's. But with Geno in the fold, they weren't willing to mortgage the future for him.

Their board probably looked something like this:

1. Young
2. Anderson
3. Witherspoon

Is Stroud on the list? Maybe. But Young was the top guy.

From speaking with Seahawks sources, it did not sound like the Seahawks were going to move on from Smith and give up the farm to move up for Young. However, Seattle is said to love Young, and if the franchise loses Geno Smith in free agency, that could change the organization's thinking.