We DID consider AR…

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
This Richardson thing on this site is reminding me of the Tebow cult without the winning. There is no way that Richardson was considered when it came down to defense being our main problem. There were two defenders who check all the Seahawk boxes and would get eight hundred or more snaps this season. Richardson might get thirty snaps on gadget plays for the next two seasons as a Seahawk. You don't throw away a number five pick on someone who needs two seasons to be able to run an actual NFL offense.
Completely agree about the cult mind. It wasn't just Richardson either. After one QB was drafted, they just switched to the next in line.

Kinda funny to read the recent insight on .com. Seattle had zero intention of selecting a QB based on what's in that article. The only possibility seemed to be if chaos ensued and the top QB fell to 5.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
You mean like the guy who is the closest comparable to him, Josh Allen? He was crap his first two years and now he's borderline MVP every season. Who cares if he sucked for 2 years, every team who picked ahead of Buffalo would trade multiple 1sts to get him and have him suck for 2 years in the last 5 years.

Yep, agreed.
This idea that a top 5 pick has to come in and pay off immediately is incorrect IMO. The number of top 5 picks who are immediately superstars in the first two years is microscopic. Sauce and Chase are the only 2 who stepped into the league as superstars.

Totally agreed.

It's all a moot point now, it just feels like a missed opportunity.

Maybe. Here's my take.

1. I have a very strong sense than John understands special QB talent. And at #5 and #20 overall, we were in a position to really corner the trade market if one of these three were that caliber of player. We didn't. And I think it speaks more to what John really thought about the class in general.

2. If he wasn't enamored with any of the QBs, then I think he absolutely did the right thing to pass on them and continue to build the rest of the roster. Getting the team and roster prepared to plug and play a franchise QB is absolutely a good way to build a SB contender. And the last two drafts are shaping up to be some of our finest -- without question they are the best back to back drafts we've seen from this group.

We really don't know how the next couple years will unfold. We are thankfully, in a position to build up the team. With a QB who showed quality, but is still on what amounts to a prove it deal. And teams that are strong across the board, with a lot of young offensive talent -- are very attractive to any QBs that may happen to reach the open market.

It's not a given that our future franchise QB is even going to be a rookie. We at least have the pieces in place to go get a great QB either via trade or UFA if the opportunity arises. Admittedly it's rare. But it does happen about every 3-5 years. And if we're strong across the board, then having to spend the 2-3 1st round picks to move up 20-25 spots to get the guy we really want is far less painful.

The main takeaway I see, is that we have opened up our opportunities outside of just drafting a rookie. And best case, if Geno really has just flipped the switch and continues to be a top 10 QB -- then we basically have him in the fold at pretty much market rate for the next three years.

We are ideally suited to aggressively pursue whatever form our QB going forward presents itself. That is pretty much perfect IMO.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
Can anyone provide evidence of myself moving on to the next QB in line? I’d search but I’m too busy running my AR voodoo doll on the treadmill since the camps are fast approaching.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
You make Arizona a strong offer. One they can't turn down. If he's the guy that you truly want.

No one will ultimately care what it cost. If that guy becomes the next Mahomes or Josh Allen.

Why was it a "wasted opportunity"? They got the guy they wanted. It was reported that they liked both Will Anderson & Spoon. So Spoon was the guy.

They passed on Levis & Hooker, not once, but twice. They clearly weren't sold enough on either guy.
So Anderson goes #3 and, hypothetically, if Witherspoon went #4 then that would mean they weren't "sold" on either guy?

That's a weird argument that they really don't like the player because they didn't trade up for them. They passed on Russell Wilson twice and we know they loved the guy.

It's not that simple. Especially at the QB position. Pete mentioned in his post draft pressers, drafting a QB has to be the right fit; for the organization, the team, and for the right capital. Trading up into a highly competitive draft slot sends a much different message than waiting at their natural selection and taking the player who you can sell to the fan base as being too talented to pass on (or trade down into a better positon to take him).

It seems to be the ones who find it hard to believe Pete and John would consider AR early in the draft are the same people who don't value him as a prospect, which is more about their own grade than what Pete and John might have on the guy.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
So Anderson goes #3 and, hypothetically, if Witherspoon went #4 then that would mean they weren't "sold" on either guy?

That's a weird argument that they really don't like the player because they didn't trade up for them. They passed on Russell Wilson twice and we know they loved the guy.

It's not that simple. Especially at the QB position. Pete mentioned in his post draft pressers, drafting a QB has to be the right fit; for the organization, the team, and for the right capital. Trading up into a highly competitive draft slot sends a much different message than waiting at their natural selection and taking the player who you can sell to the fan base as being too talented to pass on (or trade down into a better positon to take him).

It seems to be the ones who find it hard to believe Pete and John would consider AR early in the draft are the same people who don't value him as a prospect, which is more about their own grade than what Pete and John might have on the guy.
Easy now. The “cult” is near capacity.

🤣🤣🤣

CactusJack

Reaction score

You can like a guy & still pass him over. Every indication (report) has been that Richardson was not really in play for them.

John specifically mentioned two guys as "must have" on their board. One was obviously Witherspoon. It's also been reported now by two different media guys, who cover the team, that Anderson was in fact the other guy.

John also mentioned, when he spoke to the media, that they had offers to trade out of the #5 pick. But they didn't want to "lose out" on Witherspoon. So they stayed put & made the pick. If Anderson & Spoon we're both off the board at that point, then they likely trade out. Again, according to John himself.

Maybe, they're not telling the whole truth & they really wanted Richardson. But, you've had John & two other media members both confirm the Witherspoon & Anderson connection, with no mention of Richardson.

There was a report that came out around the time of the Combine, that they really "loved" Bryce Young. As far as the group of QB's, he was their guy.

Last edited:

m0ng0

Reaction score
Why is Richardson still a thing here? We didn't pick him because he wasn't there, nothing yet has shown they wanted him or attempted to trade up for him, we really have no idea if they would have picked him had he been there, let it go already, dude is a Colt, from what we can see from all the draft coverage there is/was no there there. Did I use "there" correctly?

CactusJack

Reaction score

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I mean, i can't deny John has said they had two guys highest on their board and it was Devon and Will Anderson.

I've even thought it was more likely they don't draft a QB, but im not one of those guys that says these things with absolute 100% certainty.

Most of my argument is the idea that AR needs two years before starting or that he isn't that good, and that's why John wouldn't draft him. That's just wrong imo. It's way more likely they just really like Geno and didn't feel like there was a need to get younger and cheaper.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I mean, i can't deny John has said they had two guys highest on their board and it was Devon and Will Anderson.

I've even thought it was more likely they don't draft a QB, but im not one of those guys that says these things with absolute 100% certainty.

Most of my argument is the idea that AR needs two years before starting or that he isn't that good, and that's why John wouldn't draft him. That's just wrong imo. It's way more likely they just really like Geno and didn't feel like there was a need to get younger and cheaper.
I'm just happy John/Pete don't think like the QB cult..I don't see any that are worth
getting hard over,maybe Clayton Tune?
Oh @Recon_Hawk not saying your cult ect..I agree with they like Geno better-it's that
simple.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think the reason this subject is brought up (despite AR not being on our team) is that some on this board are so insistent that we would never take a QB. Or especially AR. It's just a silly position to take and their is plenty of evidence that it is not in fact true.
At some point this team will have to draft a QB and it is not unreasonable to think picking at 5 is the time to do it. Provided they like a guy there. Unfortunately 3 of the first 4 picks were QB's so we didn't really get the chance.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I don't mind that they didn't force the issue, but it still leaves us in a weak position if Geno regresses and if Lock isn't the answer either. We still have no long term qbotf locked up, unless Geno surprises us and all of a sudden becomes a world beater. Fingers crossed.
Don’t need a world beater to succeed. There is World beating talent at the skill positions. Hell, if he’s just average we are in good shape for a few years.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Don’t need a world beater to succeed. There is World beating talent at the skill positions. Hell, if he’s just average we are in good shape for a few years.
Average isn't going to win a sb, unless the LOB reincarnates itself.