We need to talk about Bobby...

QWERTY

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":11xqvr21 said:
Only 3 million in dead money if you cut Wagner. Also need to focus on retaining Diggs. Rashaad Penny earned a second contract but at a rate conducive to his injury history. He didn’t start balling out until he knew his job was on the line. Not many teams will pursue him unless the asking price is mid tier

Not just Diggs, but DJ Reed is important as well.

QWERTY

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":tvnibro2 said:
Holy hell. You're not supposed to drink the bong water. KJ over Bobby? How many all pro's does KJ have? While he WAS a very good LB, come on.
This place..........

KJ Wright has more T4L or let's WR/RB Gain few yards.

Wagner not so much. Bltizes well and open field tackles well but they Receivers have already gain first down.

flv

Reaction score
Again, Wagner is due $16.6M next season. That's the number that needs to be thought about rather than the cap number. I don't see any team being prepared to pay him that amount. The contract isn't guaranteed so theoretically the Seahawks could hold onto him and make a decision about him later in the year. In reality his contract is too large to keep just to stop him having a full FA market in March. It would hinder the Seahawks ability to make other signings.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lets cut Bobby a proven player and sign some other F.A. for 25 million for two seasons to have him fail because we don't allow them to play to their strengths, sounds like a plan to me.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think the question of cutting Bobby isn't as cut and dry as it seems. I think the general consensus here is that Bobby shouldn't be cut.

I think Pete should take a good hard look at cutting him. Bobby Wagner's cap hit is obscenely high this year. He still played at a relatively high level, yet I think we're slowly seeing him start to lose a step. Since 2019, each year he looks a bit slower, misses a few tackles he would have made in his younger years. He's still one of the better NFL MLB's, but the question becomes, what becomes the point where his contract no longer makes sense? I think that we are starting to approach that point soon.

The question then becomes, can we replace Wagner with Brooks or Barton? None of our LB's looked great in coverage, including Bobby. We also need to consider that Brooks spent quite a bit of time at MLB in college. The next question is, how much of our base defense do we want to play next season? If we're going to be coming out running more nickel and dime packages, do we really need both Brooks and Wagner? Especially since one of Jamal Adams greatest strengths is playing in-box almost like a LB would.

Identifying what, and how we're going to play next season is important. With our next DC, it might make perfect sense to keep Wagner, or it might not make sense depending on which direction, Carroll and the DC want to go with the defense. Also, how they feel about Brooks potentially taking the spot also is in play.

Jville

Reaction score
I think the first defensive domino to fall will be an announcement as to who will be the next Defensive Coordinator. That could be a predictive indicator of changes coming in 2022. Interest in outside candidates with extensive backgrounds in coaching defensive backs suggests a possible change in the air.

Bobby Wagner, as the long time defensive lynch-pin, commands respect. But, the defense changed. Brian Urlacher stands out in my memory as the best pure cover two middle linebacker. He had size and speed and made great use of his greater length and wing span to knock passes down and discourage QBs from throwing into his sizable area of responsibility. In many ways, Brian was like having the best of Bobby and KJ combined in the same frame. Brian retired at age 34.

I don't know that this team can restock with the long corners and return to the dominate cover 3 and cover 1 success of yesteryear. That should affect what they will do with the middle linebacker position. It may take two linebackers sharing responsibilities.

Spohawks

Reaction score
What kind of draft capital could be had with trading Russ, DK and Bobby?

Love or hate the idea, that would be the move to make if a team is in rebuild mode.

nutluck

Reaction score
Spohawks":3aur56i4 said:

Love or hate the idea, that would be the move to make if a team is in rebuild mode.

Russ 2 1st and a 2nd I think is the floor, DK 1st and a 2nd is the floor and both could bring more. No one will trade for Bobby not with his contract and age. I mean you might get a late round pick. I think he needs to be cut and then try and resign him for a half or less what he is making.

With that said though with Pete back and add in the NFC is likely to weaken next year. This is a year the hawks need to really restructure contracts, cut a couple and add in some key FA's because next year could be the best year to do it. Plus I honestly don't trust this front office to use those draft picks well.

Jville

Reaction score
Spohawks":as50ecgs said:

Unknown. But, isn't that much of what the off season is about. Listening to offers, making offers and determining values player by player. Values that typically vary from team scheme to team scheme. It should hold our attention as the off season unfolds.

Fade

Reaction score
Cut him and move Brooks to his natural position.

Take the $16.6M in freed up cap space and spend it in the trenches. Both D-Line & O-Line.

Pete is an idiot if he doesn't do this. Sentimentality has no place in the NFL if you're trying to win. Belichick would've already moved on.

James in PA

Reaction score
[emoji444] "We Don't Talk About Bobby." [emoji444]

Jville

Reaction score
I thought Bobby and KJ combined as a dominate partnership.

On those occasions when KJ was knocked out of the lineup and with his departure in 2021, it just wasn't the same.

The combo, having potential, that caught my eye during the last two games of 2021 was that of Jordyn Brooks & Cody Barton. I would think that option will come into play for consideration.

kf3339

Reaction score
He is great for us and a true leader. That said the cap hit is too great of a risk. I don't see him taking much of a restructure as I think his cap hit needs to be much lower than $10M a year. He is slower and his tackles aren't impact plays. He gives up too many yards, which isn't what you want in a MLB.

I want us to build really strong lines and his savings would be better used for that purpose. I would let him go so he can decide which team is best to finish his career. He deserves that right.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Fade":246oglh1 said:

Take the $16.6M in freed up cap space and spend it in the trenches. Both D-Line & O-Line.

Pete is an idiot if he doesn't do this. Sentimentality has no place in the NFL if you're trying to win. Belichick would've already moved on.

It was the right move. #bobbyforHOF

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
QuahHawk":10bo6u4z said:
Fade":10bo6u4z said:

It was the right move. #bobbyforHOF

It looks like it was. But you have to be careful these days giving the FO too much credit for anything, though. :twisted: