What is the best trade in Seahawks history?

Best trade in Hawks history?

• 8th round pick (1977) to Houston Oilers for Steve Largent

Votes: 40 38.8%
  • Fredd Young to Indianapolis Colts for 1st round pick (#15, 1989) and 1st round pick (#10, 1990)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rick Mirer and 4th round pick (1997) to Chicago Bears for 1st round pick (#11, 1997)

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 1st round pick (#12, 1997) and 3rd round pick (1997) to Tampa Bay for 1st round pick (#6, 1997, beca

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Joey Galloway to Dallas Cowboys for 1st round pick (#19, 2000, became Shaun Alexander) and 1st round

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 2nd round pick (2009) to Denver Broncos for 1st round pick (#14, 2010, became Earl Thomas)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 4th round pick (2011) and 5th round pick (2012) to Buffalo Bills for Marshawn Lynch

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Frank Clark and 3rd round pick (2019) to Kansas City Chiefs for 1st round pick (#29, 2019), 3rd roun

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Barkevious Mingo, Jacob Martin, and 3rd Round Pick (2020) to Houston Texans for Jadeveon Clowney

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seymour":3bgmkapd said:
Largent.....and it aint even close!!

This.

The draft day trade up that landed Walt was pretty good too. Only gave up some mid-round pick, if I recall. The trade that allowed them to pick Tez was pretty good too, but that involved giving up two first round picks.

HawkGA

Reaction score
In terms of fleecing another team, the Mirer trade has to be right up there, doesn't it?

AgentDib

Reaction score
The trade that worked out the best for the Seahawks is the Largent deal. At the time it was probably considered a reasonable deal though.

The Mirer deal was the most hugely lopsided at the time. We had just spent four years making it extremely obvious that he was not NFL QB material. Chicago out of the blue offered us the #11 overall pick for him, signed him to a three year deal, and then released him after a single year having only started him in 3 games. Just a completely bizarre decision that I don't think we will ever understand.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3ho5uwbg said:
In terms of fleecing another team, the Mirer trade has to be right up there, doesn't it?

That gets my vote just for the fact it was so laughable.

getnasty

Reaction score
Largent is number 1, like several have said he held every record when he retired. Still amazes me he's not talk about as much as many others that played in that era.

chris98251

Reaction score
Best trade Largent, the pay back we got from his production is unmatched, Lynch was a good trade but the duration was short lived compared to Largent.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
sdog1981":24ge15tp said:
These are some hard ones.

From the one-sided rip-off standpoint. Rick Mirer for picks that became Walter Jones and Shawn Springs is number one.

From the dodged a bullet standpoint. Fredd Young for two first rounders in 1989-1990 could have gone really bad.

From the Helped both teams out standpoint. Joey Galloway for Shaun Alexander was pretty darn good for both teams.

Joey Galloway for two #1s clearly helped Seattle and did little for Dallas. That trade did not help out both teams. He only played in 1 game for Dallas the first year after tearing his ACL. They traded him to TB after playing in 48 total games for them in 4 years. Shaun Alexander had a much better career in Seattle than Galloway had in Dallas.

Threedee

Reaction score
My understanding is that Houston was going to cut Largent, and then decided to offer us a trade because we were an expansion team and might be willing to give them a later round draft pick. As such, Largent would have been available to us no matter what.

Getting Walter Jones took the lucky stars shining down upon us in order to engage in a trade would hand him to us in the draft.

sdog1981

Reaction score
HawkGA":3nazbsn4 said:

Oh yeah completely onesided. Mirer had been in the league for three years so the word was out on his lack of ability.

quadsas

Reaction score
Marshawn trade bar none. Did Largent trade laid foundation for Super Bowl win? If no, then it cannot be the best. Trophies is all that matters and without Marshawn trade there's no Superbowl

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
quadsas":3ipiqwx2 said:
Marshawn trade bar none. Did Largent trade laid foundation for Super Bowl win? If no, then it cannot be the best. Trophies is all that matters and without Marshawn trade there's no Superbowl

I tend to lean this way.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The SuperBowl is the crownign achievement in the NFL. The only trades listed that helped us win our first and get us to our second were the Lynch trade and the Earl Thomas trade. Arguably getting Marshawn for a 4th and 5th was a better deal so I vote for that trade.

Plus I think Lynch really established a toughness identity that spilled over to the defense and galvanized the team. Thomas is a great player but I always thought ti was Chancellor and Lynch that made us the baddest team in the NFL from 2012-2015.

Largent was just a great steal and arguably my favorite player of all time. But his HoF career includes no SB trips so I can't vote for that trade as being the biggest for the organization.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
A-Dog":29ldtaio said:
My favorite trades are when we identify one guy we absolutely want and we take a risk to trade up and get him.

Curt Warner
Cortez Kennedy
Walter Jones

Being proactive and making the moves to find an impact player who transforms and defines your team, IMO, is a lot more exciting than being reactive, trading down to spread out risk, and choosing what's available among whoever falls to you.
Neither Richard Sherman, or Kam Chancellor, were Drafted anywhere near the first round, hell, Doug Baldwin wasn't even Drafted at all, Steve Largent, 8th rounder.
There are a lot of players in every Draft that are first round athletes, that are hell bent on proving their critics were wrong for overlooking, or dismissing them.
Aaron Curry comes to mind of first round "Can't Miss" players that MISSED.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
To me it's not even close, Lynch.

Before Marshawn we were a soft "finesse" team without an identity. Yes all the young stars Pete and John drafted on defense helped cement those team's nasty physical punishing style that Pete wanted.........but make no mistake who the tone setter and identity came from, Marshawn.

And we rode that identity all the way to two SB's. No other trade compares.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This was really hard, but I am going to say the Marshawn Lynch trade. Solely for the reason that I don't think we win a Super Bowl without that trade. Lynch gave us the running identity that the Hawks needed to be successful Offensively. Considering how little they gave up factored into my choice as well.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2u6lkvfs said:

Before Marshawn we were a soft "finesse" team without an identity. Yes all the young stars Pete and John drafted on defense helped cement those team's nasty physical punishing style that Pete wanted.........but make no mistake who the tone setter and identity came from, Marshawn.

Come on out of the rain.

You are all wet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure, lets give Lynch all the credit for playing with 6 other pro bowl caliber teammates. :pukeface:

When it comes to actual value vs what was given and accomplishments in his career, Largent by a landslide. :snack:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":spyb4509 said:
Sgt. Largent":spyb4509 said:

Come on out of the rain.

Sure, lets give Lynch all the credit for playing with 6 other pro bowl caliber teammates. :pukeface:

When it comes to actual value vs what was given and accomplishments in his career, Largent by a landslide. :snack:

Right, cause I don't care about individual accomplishments. The question is "what's the best trade in SEAHAWK'S history?" Not "who's the best Seahawk we got via trade."

Big difference to me. I love Largent, obviously, I chose him for my name here. But he doesn't compare when it comes to who helped us win a SB and give us the identity that permeated the entire roster.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3itknpa8 said:
Seymour":3itknpa8 said:
Sgt. Largent":3itknpa8 said:

Come on out of the rain.

Right, cause I don't care about individual accomplishments. The question is "what's the best trade in SEAHAWK'S history?" Not "who's the best Seahawk we got via trade."

Big difference to me. I love Largent, obviously, I chose him for my name here. But he doesn't compare when it comes to who helped us win a SB and give us the identity that permeated the entire roster.

Take way Wilson....no SB
Take away Sherman....no SB
Take away Chancellor.....no SB
Take away Thomas....no SB
Take away Wagner....no SB
Take away Okung....no SB
Take away Lynch.....no SB

Same can be said about any one on those guys IMO. :177692:

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seymour":1k1as2e9 said:
Sgt. Largent":1k1as2e9 said:
Seymour":1k1as2e9 said:
Sgt. Largent":1k1as2e9 said:

Come on out of the rain.

Take way Wilson....no SB
Take away Okung....no SB

I argue Wilson is FAR more important. Lynch had better seasons both before and after 2013, and had a really good year with T-Jack starting in 2011. We were 7-9 that year. A year later with Wilson, 11-5. Lynch was good, but I think his contribution is massively overblown on here. The way most people on here seem to tell it, Marshawn carried the entire team to a title with both arms tied behind his back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":31foiymt said:
Sgt. Largent":31foiymt said:
Seymour":31foiymt said:
Sgt. Largent":31foiymt said:

Come on out of the rain.

Take way Wilson....no SB
Take away Okung....no SB

Take Largent away, we still stunk.

You're also talking about a very nebulous antiquated time in the NFL. You can barely call the Largent trade a trade. 8th rounder? Dude was about to be released and Houston threw us a bone so they could draft some guy who was going to be selling insurance by the end of training camp.

Not the same as how vital and important trades are in modern football. They can make or break teams for years.