What's going on with Russ' deep ball passes?

John63

Reaction score
NY Hawk":200o3qi7 said:
I love my seahawks BUT I don't know about all this trust in RW. He's inconsistent. And I'm not just talking about this game either. In the beginning it was "Let Russ cook" and he started out doing just that. And then he just fell off. This is why he's not in the same league as Arron Rodgers or Patrick Mahhomes. It's the reason why he's never in the MVP talk until the start of this season. This is the same guy that threw a int at the goal line in the SB. Yes I blame him as well because he could have and should have changed the call. Just like he did yesterday at the end of the game for the WR just so he could get his bonus. That was a cool thing to do by the way. At this point I have more trust in the defense than RW. He seems to have problems with good defense's Don't me wrong, I think he's on of the best in the NFL. I just wish he was more consistent with his play. Division game or not the 49ers had nobody. And this team should have scrape them and had the second string in the game by 3rd Qtr

I just wish the facts supported your statement, oh wait no I dont, and they dont. Let me remind you it was only a few short years ago everyone thought Rodgers was done. as to Mahomes let me remind you he had a stretch last yea rof 3 straight and games and had 5 games under 85 Qb rating which is just avg. So really the facts dont support your statement on consistancy.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Two deep coverage (Tampa 2 concept; Tony Dungy/Lovie Smith defense) can be exploited with a good tight end at the second level.

Schottenheimer should line up Metcalf at tight end sometimes along with Hollister to exploit these vacated areas.

Defenses do not really play man coverage on Seattle cause they are susceptible to the deep pass.

So they play zone but if Seattle had a tight end like Kittle, it would be over for a two deep scheme.

I’m convinced Metcalf could exploit open zones and sit on zones that are unoccupied by the defensive backs and linebackers.

But Carroll absolutely wants the big plays down the field so Wilson is limited to those routes and if they are covered, Wilson will not target him a lot. This is also why you see Hollister can have sneaky good games. The defense gives them to Seattle but Seattle still wants the big plays down the field.

Chapow

Reaction score
I posted this last Monday, after the Rams game.

Chapow":34ozewfi said:
Aikman made a comment at halftime regarding Russ and his play in the first half, "His protection hasn't held up and there hasn't been anywhere to go with the ball".

Of course, that wasn't the case for every single offensive snap in the first half, but I thought it was a pretty fair comment and generally pretty accurate for the most part.

Not trying to absolve Russ of any blame for the poor first half performance by the offense, but he can't do it all by himself. Especially against the best D in the NFL. The rest of the offense needs to play better also.

It seems to me that the loss of Brandon Shell at RT has had a pretty big impact on the pass protection. Our OL was actually pass protecting pretty well earlier in the season, but they've been pretty poor lately. The drop off has been especially noticeable since we lost Shell.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Chapow":31c5ov56 said:

Chapow":31c5ov56 said:
Aikman made a comment at halftime regarding Russ and his play in the first half, "His protection hasn't held up and there hasn't been anywhere to go with the ball".

Of course, that wasn't the case for every single offensive snap in the first half, but I thought it was a pretty fair comment and generally pretty accurate for the most part.

Not trying to absolve Russ of any blame for the poor first half performance by the offense, but he can't do it all by himself. Especially against the best D in the NFL. The rest of the offense needs to play better also.

It seems to me that the loss of Brandon Shell at RT has had a pretty big impact on the pass protection. Our OL was actually pass protecting pretty well earlier in the season, but they've been pretty poor lately. The drop off has been especially noticeable since we lost Shell.
One can even say, the offensive line has been a “Shell” of their former selves.

See what I did there???

Lol.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Russell commented on this after the game, he said they were pretty much throw aways because he didn't want to risk turning the ball over on some of those early overthrows.

Kinda like pitching around a good hitter without actually intentionally walking him.

It was obviously from the first series that the game plan was to grind out a 16-9 type game hoping the defense holds down the Niner's 3rd string QB. That meant Russell wasn't going to put those balls anywhere near a DB.

Game plan wasn't going as drawn up, so Pete, Schotty and Russell opened it up in the 4th and took more risks.

Not my favorite thing Pete does, tries to manage his way to wins allowing bad teams to hang in games. It worked yesterday, but he did the same thing against the Giants, and it costs us a chance at the #1 seed.

NY Hawk

Reaction score
The Giants game. Inconsistent play from RW. Only 12 points scored in that game. Giants didn't win another game until this pass Sunday. That was a very bad loss and it's part of the reason why this team does not have the 1 seed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Go 12-4. Dwell on one loss. The team would MAYBE win 6 games if he wasn't the QB. Maybe.

Typical on here.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1eru3ocg said:
Go 12-4. Dwell on one loss. The team would MAYBE win 6 games if he wasn't the QB. Maybe.

Typical on here.

yup like I said the small group always find something to complain about and act like every other QB is perfect. Like I said very blissful people

NY Hawk

Reaction score
I'm not a RW hater at all. I just think that the Giants game and the Cards game was on him. Two games this team should have won. 12-4 is great and I hope they go far in the playoffs but RW can't sit in the pocket like he has the best o- line ever made just to get sacked. Something he does all the time vs the Rams. Hope he's tired of AD sacking him EVERY GAME THEY PLAYED. Because I'm sick of that stat as well.

John63

Reaction score
NY Hawk":3bfrjm9j said:
I'm not a RW hater at all. I just think that the Giants game and the Cards game was on him. Two games this team should have won. 12-4 is great and I hope they go far in the playoffs but RW can't sit in the pocket like he has the best o- line ever made just to get sacked. Something he does all the time vs the Rams. Hope he's tired of AD sacking him EVERY GAME THEY PLAYED. Because I'm sick of that stat as well.

well here is an idea call plays that let him get the ball out quicker, run plays to get people open. Help on Donald. FYi Donald did not sack Wilson in the first game they played this year so that is over.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Team loss vs. the Giants. Maybe the defense shouldn't give up 983 rushing yards to a backup :mrgreen:
They lost it as a team.
Against the Cards they gave up 37 points. 37

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
NY Hawk":3tg7xn6e said:

Ah, but remember, but for a thrown game by the Eagles, the Giants are in the playoffs and Super Bowl contenders. Just ask them. They were as close to making the playoffs as the Cardinals, who also barely missed the postseason. And remember: San Francisco crushed them 36-9. If only we could be as good as San Francisco, right?

Bottom line is that some teams are better than others at taking away the long balls, and those who do, make us struggle to win the game. And sometimes, shocker, we lose a game (or four) a year.

Chapow

Reaction score
NY Hawk":2z5ls4gx said:

While Russ threw 3 picks in that Cards loss, he also passed for 388 yards and 3 TDs, and ran for another 84 yards. Meanwhile, our D gave up over 500 yards of offense and 37 points to the Cards.

Yes, those 3 picks are part of the reason we lost that game, but Russ did everything he could to keep us in it while our D was getting absolutely shredded and putting up very little resistance all day long.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3492ujax said:
Chapow":3492ujax said:

Chapow":3492ujax said:

One can even say, the offensive line has been a “Shell” of their former selves.

See what I did there???

Lol.

When did Paul Gallant hack your account?!

rcaido

Reaction score
We should have easily won the Cards game. Ref steering and that really bad penalty I think was a punt or fg that gave them a first down.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
This goes back to the Rams game. For those who have an Athletic account here's an article on the Rams D. (I am thinking without a membership the link won't take you there).
Going into last weekend the Rams have given up 10 long completions and only 1 TD pass of over 10 air yards. So as much as we think the offence didn't do much in that game but what they accomplished was actually more than what the Rams have given up on average.
I am thinking the last 2 games it was just at much the D we played as Russ. I wish we have more receivers to have gone 5 wide and exploited the Niners the way Buffalo did.
This week, we are probably only going to see a couple of times where Russ has a chance to complete a deep shot. Hope he gets the protection and hits on it when that opportunity is there.

https://theathletic.com/2292820/2020/12 ... on-staley/

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Slightly old but awesome video. Go to the 5:50 mark approximately and watch the garbage can deep ball simulation throw!

Awesome video in general - watch the whole thing!

[youtube]WwpD-daFx8U[/youtube]

And, Russ is fine right now.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":2d8io0m7 said:
NY Hawk":2d8io0m7 said:
I love my seahawks BUT I don't know about all this trust in RW. He's inconsistent. And I'm not just talking about this game either. In the beginning it was "Let Russ cook" and he started out doing just that. And then he just fell off. This is why he's not in the same league as Arron Rodgers or Patrick Mahhomes. It's the reason why he's never in the MVP talk until the start of this season. This is the same guy that threw a int at the goal line in the SB. Yes I blame him as well because he could have and should have changed the call. Just like he did yesterday at the end of the game for the WR just so he could get his bonus. That was a cool thing to do by the way. At this point I have more trust in the defense than RW. He seems to have problems with good defense's Don't me wrong, I think he's on of the best in the NFL. I just wish he was more consistent with his play. Division game or not the 49ers had nobody. And this team should have scrape them and had the second string in the game by 3rd Qtr

I just wish the facts supported your statement, oh wait no I dont, and they dont. Let me remind you it was only a few short years ago everyone thought Rodgers was done. as to Mahomes let me remind you he had a stretch last yea rof 3 straight and games and had 5 games under 85 Qb rating which is just avg. So really the facts dont support your statement on consistancy.
I agree with New York..John you keep beating that dead horse.

NY Hawk

Reaction score
You know the Seahawks All access you guys have? Well The Giants have the same type of thing here in NY. I don't watch it but since they played my boys that week I took a look at it. They showed the game from their defensive side and you could just see how they had RW confused and how Bradberry had DK on lockdown. I also saw where there were a few times Russ could have tried the one on one match up but he checked down instead. If you have a DK Metcalf you throw the ball to him without caring WHO'S on him. He was doing that at the start of the season and then he just stopped. Nobody could stop me from doing that...not even PC.