What's going on with Russ' deep ball passes?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You know that deep balls are low percentage plays, right?

You also know that defenders are not getting called for clear contact before the ball arrives, especially if the defender is already in the same space and the ball is hanging.

Further, you know that deep balls tend to be long developing plays and Russ tends to be under pressure when he uncorks these long throws that miss?

So we are upset that he is not completing low percentage plays under pressure instead of focusing on why we are calling low percentage plays that often get affected by uncalled contact and many times need to be thrown after protection has broken down?

Because he is getting paid $35M, he should just be able to work with poorly planned offenses?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And how many of those are throwaway passes? People whined when he wasn't cooking enough. Now they whine because he's being too careful. This guy will NEVER live up the standards of so many people who claim to actually appreciate him. When they flat out don't. I wonder how many top tier QB's in the history of the game have been more scrutinized than he has. It can't be many, that's for sure.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
NY Hawk":3if492ja said:
You know the Seahawks All access you guys have? Well The Giants have the same type of thing here in NY. I don't watch it but since they played my boys that week I took a look at it. They showed the game from their defensive side and you could just see how they had RW confused and how Bradberry had DK on lockdown. I also saw where there were a few times Russ could have tried the one on one match up but he checked down instead. If you have a DK Metcalf you throw the ball to him without caring WHO'S on him. He was doing that at the start of the season and then he just stopped. Nobody could stop me from doing that...not even PC.

Kinda thought that was what we would do with I'm Jimmy but it was not to be.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
This place has gotten fricken weird and this thread is exhibit A. Someone brings up a specific problem with a player's game that they noticed, in not even one iota of an inflammatory way and 90% of he response is "OMG YOU CANT EVEN ENJOY A WIN" & the classic "WHAT A RUSS HATER!!! NO ONE IS EVER HAPPY"

I mean Jesus Christ I can understand if someone is being unfair about Russ, but nothing said here about him was at all unreasonable and in fact the conversation was even blocked form happening in the first place.

Mods, if you want to change the way the direction the forum is going in, making it clear conversation like this isn't healthy for the community is probably where you should start. Just an opinion.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Jerhawk":itf5lhau said:
TheLegendOfBoom":itf5lhau said:
Chapow":itf5lhau said:
I posted this last Monday, after the Rams game.

Chapow":itf5lhau said:
Aikman made a comment at halftime regarding Russ and his play in the first half, "His protection hasn't held up and there hasn't been anywhere to go with the ball".

Of course, that wasn't the case for every single offensive snap in the first half, but I thought it was a pretty fair comment and generally pretty accurate for the most part.

Not trying to absolve Russ of any blame for the poor first half performance by the offense, but he can't do it all by himself. Especially against the best D in the NFL. The rest of the offense needs to play better also.

It seems to me that the loss of Brandon Shell at RT has had a pretty big impact on the pass protection. Our OL was actually pass protecting pretty well earlier in the season, but they've been pretty poor lately. The drop off has been especially noticeable since we lost Shell.
One can even say, the offensive line has been a “Shell” of their former selves.

See what I did there???

Lol.

When did Paul Gallant hack your account?!
Hahahah!

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
NY Hawk":3fz4wvms said:
You know the Seahawks All access you guys have? Well The Giants have the same type of thing here in NY. I don't watch it but since they played my boys that week I took a look at it. They showed the game from their defensive side and you could just see how they had RW confused and how Bradberry had DK on lockdown. I also saw where there were a few times Russ could have tried the one on one match up but he checked down instead. If you have a DK Metcalf you throw the ball to him without caring WHO'S on him. He was doing that at the start of the season and then he just stopped. Nobody could stop me from doing that...not even PC.

With that rational...and you said my boys(Giants)...and you said bradberry locked him down(which he did) you still want russ to just let it lose. I see why. So you can want that turnover for your boys(giants). Nah. He wont just so everybody can start hating him for making a low percentage throw. Dk is great, but I dont care if rice and tim brown are deep on the same side of the field. You dont throw it up where coverage is tight and percentage of completion starts at 50/50. It goes down drastically with good coverage. Doesnt matter if its bradberry or the girl scouts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Cry me a river. I can have an opinion like anyone else. Geezus.
Never mind, I'll gladly bow out of Russ talk, not worth it.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":12vju899 said:
Cry me a river. I can have an opinion like anyone else. Geezus.
Never mind, I'll gladly bow out of Russ talk, not worth it.

Problem is your comment did not actually respond to what OP said instead coming out with a "Will anyone ever trust Russ??"

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. Though I did mention that many of his throws are also throwaway's. Or, miscommunication between WR and QB. Both at fault at times.

NY Hawk

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":37fvq5ws said:
NY Hawk":37fvq5ws said:

With that rational...and you said my boys(Giants)...and you said bradberry locked him down(which he did) you still want russ to just let it lose. I see why. So you can want that turnover for your boys(giants). Nah. He wont just so everybody can start hating him for making a low percentage throw. Dk is great, but I dont care if rice and tim brown are deep on the same side of the field. You dont throw it up where coverage is tight and percentage of completion starts at 50/50. It goes down drastically with good coverage. Doesnt matter if its bradberry or the girl scouts.
Dude I've been a Seahawks fan longer than you been alive. I was a Steelers fan before there was a team in Seattle. Once the Seahawks and Tampa Bay Bucs came into the NFL I chose the Seahawks to be my team because nobody in NY was rooting for them at the time. Back then you were either a Steelers fan a Cowboys fan a Giants fan or Redskins. Redskins because of Art Monk being our local hero. Largent was my guy. I had a Kurt Warner jersey when nobody out here even knew who he was. Please....Seahawks for life.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":27bw54c6 said:
You know that you can actually accomplish a lot of things WITHOUT even connecting on deep balls, right?

The two most common are a much higher chance of drawing a DPI flag from whomever is covering your WR, and the other is forcing safeties to respect deep routes. If safeties see that you're sending people deep but never trying to throw to them, they'll start to cheat and move up, and at that point you're literally just wasting personnel on the field for no benefit.

John63

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3vr64g0f said:
TwistedHusky":3vr64g0f said:
You know that you can actually accomplish a lot of things WITHOUT even connecting on deep balls, right?

The two most common are a much higher chance of drawing a DPI flag from whomever is covering your WR, and the other is forcing safeties to respect deep routes. If safeties see that you're sending people deep but never trying to throw to them, they'll start to cheat and move up, and at that point you're literally just wasting personnel on the field for no benefit.

no because when they start cheating up because you don't through long then you pop it and walla long ball completion.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
John63":ndny0u6x said:
no because when they start cheating up because you don't through long then you pop it and walla long ball completion.
Except for the last month+ we haven't been doing that. This is what you're SUPPOSED to do when the safeties start cheating, but we almost never do anymore as of late.

rcaido

Reaction score
The same for the read option and Russ not taking it. Maybe they are setting up the safety to eventually and then throw the long bomb when they cheat.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hoping they call a LOT of rollouts on Saturday. This O Line isn't good enough in pass blocking to just let him sit back there. Top defense in football. Roll him out, quick passes, run when it's open etc. Just my opinion, but a quick passing game and pounding the rock is the way to beat the Rams. And they scored 20 points 2 weeks ago, they can do it again. Should be a hell of a battle.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Next Gen stats, before the Niners game actually pointed out that his passer rating on long throws in the last 6-7 games was over 100. So that is overblown.

That said, some bad throws, miscommunication, and overly conservative passing to avoid turnovers is part of the issue. Russ is definitely not as accurate/sharp lately but still pretty good overall. The last 7 games is nothing like the 4 games 3-4 game stretch that preceded it.

NY Hawk

Reaction score
You see what I mean? I told you guys RW was playing like crap. You guys talk about him like he can walk on water. Game was over after the pick 6.

Zap90

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":37m2c2y5 said:
Doesn't matter one bit. We are 9 years in and sitting here STILL arguing about how good Russ is?
With a huge playoff game on Saturday. Think about how ridiculous that is.

Just get that W on Saturday. Then we can come back next week and hear how crappy Russ played and/or how we're going to get smoked in the next playoff game. And downplay a huge win over the Rams. Again.

Rinse and repeat.

How good is he?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We're too stupid to do anything but look like a deer caught in the headlights whenever a team plays two high safeties all game. Granted, the Rams didn't need to do that today since their D-line can just murder us at will because we're also too stupid to just start throwing screens right over Aaron Donald's head.