When you want to like other sports but just don't get it

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1i518oc6 said:
SantaClaraHawk":1i518oc6 said:
A game I have never understood going to ior watching on TV is golf. Not for lack of understanding; I've caddied games the old fashioned way, and I have played. It is not my favorite activity to do, but I see the appeal in playing it.

But with these paid games, if you're not 6'8", explain how you see anything past the people in front of you. There are like 20 good viewing spots there. Whereas if you watch on TV, you don't get the 3-D of the course that becomes immediately apparent once there.

I love golf. Love playing it and love watching it. I even went to three days of the US Open when it was at Chambers Bay.

If people don't like playing golf, I get why it's boring. But if you love the sport, you also love the players, and that's the appeal of attending tournaments in person, getting to see all the players you admire and love watching on TV...........and for those of us that play golf, holy moly is it fun to watch players hit the ball so well, because we know how hard it is.
I played golf about 20 years ago. I sucked. Never had to by golf balls because when I’d hit the ball into the woods, which was often, I’d find my ball and usually 3 others. :) Too many cheaters, use “creative score keeping” also.

Bored out of my skull watching it on TV. That just me though.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2sl83c2t said:
Sports Hernia":2sl83c2t said:
I am a lifelong baseball fan, and many see that as a boring unwatchable sport.

I played baseball all the way through college, and obsessed over the M's for as far back as I can remember. But something clicked with me about 10 years ago, now I just can't get through a game it's so long and slow.

Maybe I've become more impatient/ADD in my old age? Maybe it's the fact that the M's haven't given me ANYTHING to get excited about since 2001? Idk, but other then the World Series, I can't sit through a game anymore..........even in person. I gotta get up, walk around, drink $12 beers just to keep myself entertained.

I grew-up without TV in the house. Listened to a lot of Mariners on the radio. Gaining access to cable has definitely slowed me down, and I have a harder time watching baseball outside of the playoffs. Without Dave calling M's games, it's harder to get through them. I think this 2019 team, aside from the flukey April variant, was one of the most unwatchable I've yet encountered, as the pitching was so terrible that anything the team mustered on offense was meaningless.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":288pv49u said:
Sgt. Largent":288pv49u said:
SantaClaraHawk":288pv49u said:
A game I have never understood going to ior watching on TV is golf. Not for lack of understanding; I've caddied games the old fashioned way, and I have played. It is not my favorite activity to do, but I see the appeal in playing it.

But with these paid games, if you're not 6'8", explain how you see anything past the people in front of you. There are like 20 good viewing spots there. Whereas if you watch on TV, you don't get the 3-D of the course that becomes immediately apparent once there.

I love golf. Love playing it and love watching it. I even went to three days of the US Open when it was at Chambers Bay.

If people don't like playing golf, I get why it's boring. But if you love the sport, you also love the players, and that's the appeal of attending tournaments in person, getting to see all the players you admire and love watching on TV...........and for those of us that play golf, holy moly is it fun to watch players hit the ball so well, because we know how hard it is.
I played golf about 20 years ago. I sucked. Never had to by golf balls because when I’d hit the ball into the woods, which was often, I’d find my ball and usually 3 others. :) Too many cheaters, use “creative score keeping” also.

You bring up one of the things I find fascinating about golf. There's an old golf saying, "if you cheat at golf, you probably cheat at life."

Golf is one of those sports that reveals a person's honesty and character. So yes, when I'm golfing with friends, clients, whoever, I definitely pick up on whether they cheat or not.......which is weird to me because golf is really a sport you're playing against yourself, so if you're cheating to give you a false impression of your own golf score? Who are you really impressing?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1cf5he0q said:
Sports Hernia":1cf5he0q said:
Sgt. Largent":1cf5he0q said:
SantaClaraHawk":1cf5he0q said:

You bring up one of the things I find fascinating about golf. There's an old golf saying, "if you cheat at golf, you probably cheat at life."

Golf is one of those sports that reveals a person's honesty and character. So yes, when I'm golfing with friends, clients, whoever, I definitely pick up on whether they cheat or not.......which is weird to me because golf is really a sport you're playing against yourself, so if you're cheating to give you a false impression of your own golf score? Who are you really impressing?
True, and I agree. I used to golf with incredibly competitive people who’s skills were much much better than mine. I had no reason to cheat as I was light years worse and knew it. If I beat anyone on one hole, I was happy.

If they could somehow invent an automatic scoring system like they have in bowling, it would be impossible to cheat.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
I was once discussing Football with someone at a Semi-Pro Soccer game. He said that when Rugby League was on the BBC on Saturday afternoons, he could not stand it. This was mainly due the commentator Eddie Waring always going on about a punt high in the air being an up and under and ejected players having their early bath. A friend from College who lived in the part of England where it is played took him to a game and he really enjoyed it. He thought that Football was the same, something that is better live than on TV.

It was said that there are two events that are rubbish on TV and much better live. Firework displays and Air Shows.

mistaowen

Reaction score
My company has quite a bit of people from India and they are all really into cricket. I genuinely don't understand it, watched a few matches, and don't get it. It's a hugely popular sport too. I figured me playing baseball in high school and college help but nope.

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":1g9y6cb2 said:
SantaClaraHawk":1g9y6cb2 said:
But given my enjoyment, especially of football, I feel like I am missing out somehow. Any reflections on how and why I can enjoy these other major sports and broaden horizons somewhat? Or should I just accept that this is the way it is?

I won't turn this into a soccer thread, but I also didn't really care for soccer until I started coaching it about 15 years ago. Then the Sounders showed up, I bought season tickets and the rest is history. I was hooked.

IMO soccer is like hockey, doesn't translate well on TV for the average sports fan. But see it in person and the light goes on. So all I'd say is to go see a couple Sounder matches in person, and even if you don't quite understand what's going on, you'll have fun in that crazy environment.

As far sports I don't get, auto racing is at the top for me. I guess if you're a gearhead and get into all the car parts, speed and drivers it's enjoyable? But just watching cars go around the same track 400 times is mind numbingly boring to me.

I gave soccer a sincere try as I have a good friend who is a soccer fan. I just can't do it, bores me to tears but the same can be said for baseball (loved to play it) and auto racing.

I like women's fast-pitch softball though.

kobebryant

Reaction score
For me it is Baseball, Soccer, Golf (pace being the common element between those), Motorsports and MMA. I respect all of it, is just doesn't interest or entertain me. I definitely don't want to undersell how much I respect the folks who step into a racecar or the octagon though.

Basketball, Football, Hockey and Boxing is enough to keep me satiated.

I do think if there was more coverage of surfing, wake boarding and snowboarding I'd probably get into that too.

kobebryant

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1cly1kv3 said:
It's hockey for me. Never got into it. Even with Seattle getting a team I have no real desire to watch.

With hockey, in the United States, I think not being into it or enjoying it has to do with whether or not someone was exposed to it growing up. As there are a lot of places in the United States where hockey isn't present at all.

Theoretically, it should be universally enjoyed when you look at it on paper: the fastest speeds of the 4 major north american team sports, 2nd in physicality amongst the main 4, played as frequently basketball, and probably the best athletes of the 4. But without significant exposure it can fail to gain a grip.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
This is probably sacrilege, but in terms of actual gameplay, beach volleyball if awful. Serve, dig out, set spike pretty much over and over again, as far as i can tell.

As for major international sports - they're all good in my opinion. If i had no rooting interest and was given a choice between the major team sports: football, basketball, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, rugby, rugby league, cricket and field hockey, baseball is the one I find the dullest. Although, I do usu

I've seen cricket come up a few times in this thread, and I'll admit that it is a complicated and nuanced sport that can take a while to get your head around, but if you find yourself in the subcontinent, England, south africa, the Caribbean, Australia, England or New zealand it's well worth giving it a go. For me, it's like baseball but more fluent and creative and is more tactical. There are 3 forms of the game. Most die hard fans prefer Test cricket, which is 4-5 days long and doesn't always guarantee a winner, but does give the best players a chance to really dominate. For, example, today and yesterday I was lucky enough to see a new zealand player bat for 11 hours and score 200 against England. Then there are 2 versions that guarantee a result: One Day cricket lasts about 6 hours and T20 lasts about 3 hours.

Cricket also outdoes baseball in 2 of baseball fans' favourite things about the game - cricket is both more a 'game of failure' than baseball (although I've thankfully never heard anyone try to describe it that way) and also has many more statistics, most of which are more meaningful, as well as more accessible, to the average fan. Also, international teams go on tours to countries that usually last about 4-6 weeks, meaning that you can aspire, as a fan, to going on a tour to support your team which involves travelling to some amazing countries and spending a whole lot of time both watching cricket and getting a good look at the different cultures.

And finally, when comparing baseball and cricket, I find that cricket players are much easier to support than baseball players. I subscribed to MLB TV for 4-5 years and would watch about 50 games a season and I think that in that time, the only Mariners player I became remotely invested in was Nelson Cruz. Everyone else was boring and non-descript. I don't think the game lends itself to letting mant players stand out from the rest. The same is not true of cricket, in my opinion of course!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkspur":8su2sshf said:
And finally, when comparing baseball and cricket, I find that cricket players are much easier to support than baseball players. I subscribed to MLB TV for 45 years and would watch about 50 games qqseason and I think that in that time, the only Mariners player I became remotely invested in was Nelson Cruz. Everyone else was boring and non-descript. I don't think the game lends itself to letting mant players stand out from the rest. The same is not true of cricket, in my opinion of course!

MLB definitely does a terrible job of promoting their players, especially compared to the NBA and NFL.

As a child of the 70's and 80's, MLB players were 75% of every ad involving a pro sports spokesperson.

I get that baseball is more diverse now, and maybe that's making it harder to promote and get your stars out front and center. But that doesn't excuse barely even trying.

I mean, when's the last time you even saw a national ad involving a MLB player?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zornsse said:
Hawkspur":2zornsse said:
And finally, when comparing baseball and cricket, I find that cricket players are much easier to support than baseball players. I subscribed to MLB TV for 45 years and would watch about 50 games qqseason and I think that in that time, the only Mariners player I became remotely invested in was Nelson Cruz. Everyone else was boring and non-descript. I don't think the game lends itself to letting mant players stand out from the rest. The same is not true of cricket, in my opinion of course!

MLB definitely does a terrible job of promoting their players, especially compared to the NBA and NFL.

As a child of the 70's and 80's, MLB players were 75% of every ad involving a pro sports spokesperson.

I get that baseball is more diverse now, and maybe that's making it harder to promote and get your stars out front and center. But that doesn't excuse barely even trying.

I mean, when's the last time you even saw a national ad involving a MLB player?
Trout with subway. .....but your point stands.
MLB has missed a lot of marketing opportunities.

Kind of like the NHL has in the Seattle area the past 30 years. Vancouver is just over 3 hours by car and the NHL has never promoted them in the Seattle area. As a kid and young adult I never saw Canucks or NHL games on TV. Opportunity missed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":37xcatdv said:
I think we can all get into this sport. The next step is getting ESPN to cover it.

[youtube]1JUn8MsEyPs[/youtube]
Morbid but funny. I wouldn’t buy season tickets but might pay to see a single game/match.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Being a canuck I was a die hard hockey fan for most of my life. Over time the game severely changed and now I cant stand to watch it. NGL for me only now.

Boycie

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ny58wnn said:
Sports Hernia":1ny58wnn said:

I played baseball all the way through college, and obsessed over the M's for as far back as I can remember. But something clicked with me about 10 years ago, now I just can't get through a game it's so long and slow.

Maybe I've become more impatient/ADD in my old age? Maybe it's the fact that the M's haven't given me ANYTHING to get excited about since 2001? Idk, but other then the World Series, I can't sit through a game anymore..........even in person. I gotta get up, walk around, drink $12 beers just to keep myself entertained.

I’d recommend Leeds United to follow for football. We are on the way up and we are a massive club.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3ls8k52q said:
Being a canuck I was a die hard hockey fan for most of my life. Over time the game severely changed and now I cant stand to watch it. NGL for me only now.

As someone who is trying to learn more about hockey and the NHL (getting ready for Seattle's team).... can you expand on that? What happened? What changed?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":3ghy6e5x said:
Sgt. Largent":3ghy6e5x said:
Sports Hernia":3ghy6e5x said:

I’d recommend Leeds United to follow for football. We are on the way up and we are a massive club.

Neither one of these things are true....

But they are an interesting club