Where did Homer's burst come from?

BASF

Reaction score
He had the one run to the left and as he went up the sideline, he turned on the jets. I do not remember him having that burst before. Maybe a change in workouts. But, I was surprised enough to jump out of my seat as he took the corner and turned it up field.

bileever

Reaction score
He had the one run to the left and as he went up the sideline, he turned on the jets. I do not remember him having that burst before. Maybe a change in workouts. But, I was surprised enough to jump out of my seat as he took the corner and turned it up field.
At the 2019 draft combine, Homer was the 5th fastest RB, running a 4.48 40.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He's always had that burst. I believe he had shown it on few occasions on special teams in the past. There was one fake punt that he had like 70 yd td run within the past couple years, IIRC. I'm surprised that he's not used as PR or KR. He'd be better than DJ Dallas.

If found the video of Homer's TD run (vs 49ers) -

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
He's always had that burst. I believe he had shown it on few occasions on special teams in the past. There was one fake punt that he had like 70 yd td run within the past couple years, IIRC. I'm surprised that he's not used as PR or KR. He'd be better than DJ Dallas.

Nice. You beat me to it HF68!! I was just on YouTube looking for this exact clip to post.

Homer has always had that scoot in his game. I think the thing that stands out to me now is how he has transformed his body without losing any speed. He's so much thicker and stronger in his base, core, and upper body this season. It's starting to show on the field as well.

Other than a mental miscue in which he helped backside instead of picking up the safety on a 0 blitz that got Geno annihilated, his pass blocking has been superb. And Homer is a wrecking ball on Special Teams. He absolutely body rocked Richie James on that punt return, forcing a fumble. "Cherries and bananas" as Murf would say.

Last edited:

Own The West

Reaction score
My knock on Homer was that he was too slight and would fall over in a stiff breeze. He's definitely bulked up and much more lethal now.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Homer sells "catching" the KR/PR when he's not actually going for it well like lockett and unlike dallas... would hasnt sold jack lol

toffee

Reaction score
I think the coaching staffs place Homers ahead of Dallas in RB hierarchy, at this moment he is our RB2. What I would like to see in coming weeks is for K9 to make 16 runs or so, Homers 8 runs, and Dallas 4 together rush for 25-28 times a game, something like that. Need to keep K9's legs fresh for playoff games.

OP
OP
BASF

BASF

Reaction score

Definitely remember this play, but he was faster yesterday. As I said, maybe changed workouts. He is definitely more muscular.

sutz

Reaction score
I think the coaching staffs place Homers ahead of Dallas in RB hierarchy, at this moment he is our RB2. What I would like to see in coming weeks is for K9 to make 16 runs or so, Homers 8 runs, and Dallas 4 together rush for 25-28 times a game, something like that. Need to keep K9's legs fresh for playoff games.
I would definitely be monitoring K9's carries. 23 against NYG was a touch high IMO and shouldn't be repeated very often. 15-20 I'm pretty comfortable with. Plus a few catches once he gets worked into the pass game well enough. Getting him the ball in space from time to time sounds like a really good idea.

renofox

Reaction score
I would definitely be monitoring K9's carries. 23 against NYG was a touch high IMO and shouldn't be repeated very often. 15-20 I'm pretty comfortable with. Plus a few catches once he gets worked into the pass game well enough. Getting him the ball in space from time to time sounds like a really good idea.
I don't know if it still holds true, but research back in the day showed RBs fell off the cliff after having 300+ carries in a season.

Add 3 playoff games to a 17 game season and that gives you an average of 15 carries/game if you don't want to ruin a RB.

I agree they need to limit KW9's carries. Pull him out early when the game is already won or lost.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Well, my "burst" came in the form of a Bubble...er...um...OH!!, you mean Travis "Homer".......never mind.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I don't know if it still holds true, but research back in the day showed RBs fell off the cliff after having 300+ carries in a season.

Add 3 playoff games to a 17 game season and that gives you an average of 15 carries/game if you don't want to ruin a RB.

I agree they need to limit KW9's carries. Pull him out early when the game is already won or lost.

There's no exact number, of course, but the one Football Outsiders used was 370. "The curse of 370."

It was meant to be a rough guideline, like 100 pitches in MLB.

Here's some analysis from 2007 about the 370-carry thing. It mentions Shaun Alexander.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He's always had that burst. I believe he had shown it on few occasions on special teams in the past. There was one fake punt that he had like 70 yd td run within the past couple years, IIRC.

I'm surprised that he's not used as PR or KR. He'd be better than DJ Dallas.
Uhh...now DeeJay's the whipping boy huh? "Hey everybody, let's talk down Deejay!"
"If only Pete would listen to us, he needs to put Homer in and bench DeeJay!"

Stats say that your assumptions are INCORRECT. For the past 2 years, DeeJay has been averaging 22 yards per return.

Travis? Less than half that. 10 yards per return.

Kick return, and Punt return catching is a tough job, (as we saw yesterday for the Giants). So you go with the player that is the most trustworthy, because fumbles lose games.

Having said that, Travis rarely fumbles. DeeJay rarely fumbles. But DeeJay is the most experienced on kick returns, and the most successful. So you choose DeeJay

DeeJay Dallas

YEAR TEAM G RET YDS AVG
2022 Seattle Seahawks 8 9 196 21.8
2021 Seattle Seahawks 17 33 764 23.2

Travis Homer

2022 Seattle Seahawks 4 5 54 10.8
2021 Seattle Seahawks 14 16 161 10.1

Randomly talking down players really effects your credibility on .NET.

Cody Barton is a good player, but everyone is focusing on his mistakes. He's made a lot of tackles, batted down passes, covered receives out of the backfield, and closed holes on running backs. That's the majority of his plays turn out. He rarely makes mistakes.

He's learning a new system, with different responsibilities, and it takes a while. They are playing more DBs than usual which also cuts down on his reps.

Cody has struggled here and there, but this is his 1st year starting. Jordyn has a lot more starts than Cody.

Rest assured, as the season goes on, you will all learn just how good Cody Barton is.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

That's a great memory - cool run. At the end Pete had someone holding him back from the field during the play. He needed that guy on Sunday.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Homer is getting that burst from hunger. And it's refreshing to see. He badly wants to succeed in the NFL and he must have went all out in his OSC program to prove it. He looks leaner, stronger and faster. I sure hope he can stay healthy cuz he brings a lot to this team when he is. That and he's an easy guy to get behind and root for. I like that he's a Seattle Seahawk and I hope some good paydays lie ahead for him.