Which receivers make the roster?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
HawkGA":2otrklk3 said:
therealjohncarlson":2otrklk3 said:
HawkGA":2otrklk3 said:
If you're choosing three from that list, wouldn't you just choose all three that you listed?

Umm no because I believe the first 4 selected should be Lockett, Metcalf, Ferguson, and Ursua

Oh okay, that wasn't quite clear in your post.

Not sure Jazz is a lock. My guess would be far from it. I think he really just entered his name in the conversation this week.

True..it was kind of unclear, my mistake.

Yeah it was more my opinion on what I would like to see happen. Jazz's talent is just too tantalizing to risk not making it on the practice squad, and if the first preseason game is any indication he could make a huge splash on the team right away. But of course we will need to see more in these preseason games coming up.

Either way I think this may be the best group of rookie WRs we've ever seen on the hawks

peppersjap

Reaction score
My question is the infatuation with David Moore? He got off to a slow start and then had some great catches but he almost completely disappeared at the end of the season. I see people say we need him because he has been there but he only has something like 26 more catches than I do. I don't think I've ever been so interested in a pre-season before because this WR battle is going to be great. If David Moore is better than these rookies I hope he shows and makes the team but I think some of these other guys have way more potential.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":4dp7r1gb said:
It feels weird to even say this as a reminder but Pete Carroll wants to win now. I see a lot of people suggesting roster cuts aimed at the future in every area of the team and a general willingness to take a step back with youth in the short term for long-term gains.

That just isn't how Pete functions and he's going to pick the 53 man roster which gives us the best chance of competing in 2019. We can always send a few of the youngsters to the practice squad and a couple of them are bound to end up on injured reserve after a few definitely not exaggerated injuries.
Hmm, so Pete's "Always Compete" is smoke, and he is going to keep all of the older players, as they have the most experience?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1yc2gdf6 said:
WR is a position that rarely has a rookie make a significant impact right away. Too much of a learning curve. We all hope DK is the stud on the field that his measurables would indicate but at the end of the day, he’s still a rookie learning the NFL game. Because of the youth at WR I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a veteran WR brought in via trade or FA.

I’m not one to generally quote myself, in fact this is the first time ever. But after reading, watching and basically paying attention to what has been happening so far this summer, what I wrote above might just be a big crock of $#\+. There are still 3 preseason games to be played before the regular season. Lots can still happen. As of now I don’t think they will bring in a veteran WR and I think 4 rookies will make the team. I never ever thought 4 rookie WRs would be on this roster and I have seen every one since 1976. I really think this might be a special group of rookies.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
peppersjap":2e7faojb said:
My question is the infatuation with David Moore? He got off to a slow start and then had some great catches but he almost completely disappeared at the end of the season. I see people say we need him because he has been there but he only has something like 26 more catches than I do. I don't think I've ever been so interested in a pre-season before because this WR battle is going to be great. If David Moore is better than these rookies I hope he shows and makes the team but I think some of these other guys have way more potential.

Many receivers come into their own in their third year, especially if they came from a small school. Paul Richardson broke out his third year. Moore was essentially red shirted his first year. Started to show some skills his second year. I think everyone hopes he takes that next step.

But if he doesn't then I think you accept him as a 4th receiver type and move on. But I'm certainly more sold on Moore than I am on Jazz Ferguson who has done nothing other than catch some passes against guys that will be bagging groceries in a few weeks (thrown from a guy that may be selling insurance in a few weeks). Moore at least has those 26 catches against real NFL talent.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Mad Dog":26g4lx8b said:
peppersjap":26g4lx8b said:

Many receivers come into their own in their third year, especially if they came from a small school. Paul Richardson broke out his third year. Moore was essentially red shirted his first year. Started to show some skills his second year. I think everyone hopes he takes that next step.

But if he doesn't then I think you accept him as a 4th receiver type and move on. But I'm certainly more sold on Moore than I am on Jazz Ferguson who has done nothing other than catch some passes against guys that will be bagging groceries in a few weeks (thrown from a guy that may be selling insurance in a few weeks). Moore at least has those 26 catches against real NFL talent.

Golden Tate also came into form around the third year if I remember correctly as well.

hawksfan35

Reaction score
Let's say JS & PC decide to go with 6 receivers, who are your 6?

Lockett
Metcalf
Moore
Brown
Jennings
Ursua

My bubble

Ferguson
Darboh

John63

Reaction score
hawksfan35":30vqw136 said:
Let's say JS & PC decide to go with 6 receivers, who are your 6?

Lockett
Metcalf
Moore
Brown
Jennings
Ursua

My bubble

Ferguson
Darboh

We have a thread on this that said as of now

Lockett
Metcalf
Ferguson
Brown
Jennings
Ursua

My bubble
Moore
Darboh[/quote]

hawksfan35

Reaction score
After "moore" thought on the subject I would like to see Moore on the bubble, just so much potential behind him that I think we should unleash, rookie or not!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
hawksfan35":2crodbrs said:
After "moore" thought on the subject I would like to see Moore on the bubble, just so much potential behind him that I think we should unleash, rookie or not!

You definitely don't ascribe to a bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush.

You'd trade actual production for potential production. I mean we are talking a UDFA, 7th rounder, 4th rounder and late 2nd behind him. That's not the worlds highest potential. DK I get and he'll make the team. But there is nothing to suggest that Jennings, Ursua or Ferguson have more potential for greatness.

John63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1r6pe5kc said:
hawksfan35":1r6pe5kc said:

You definitely don't ascribe to a bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush.

You'd trade actual production for potential production. I mean we are talking a UDFA, 7th rounder, 4th rounder and late 2nd behind him. That's not the worlds highest potential. DK I get and he'll make the team. But there is nothing to suggest that Jennings, Ursua or Ferguson have more potential for greatness.

Moore he of the 25 receptions in 3 years. He of the MIA for half the season. You are right there is nothing to say they will other than what that did game 1. However there is nothing to say the will not and after 3 years one would think we would have gotten more out of moore.

chris98251

Reaction score
Moores demise started after that three drop game last year, I think two things happened, Russell's confidence at throwing to him in more clutch situations lessoned as well as his confidence. I am sure his ass got reamed afterword's.

McGruff

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1fvo3bf8 said:
peppersjap":1fvo3bf8 said:

The third year WR maturity is largely a ten year old myth that keeps getting passed on. Receivers are no more prone to career delays than any other position.

That used to be the case when college offense where running the wing T offense and other vastly simplified passing schemes. That's just not the case anymore. College WRs aee coming in pretty NFL ready as far as route trees and concepts and technique.

The problem position now is OL. The spread offense has butchered OL line play at the college level to the point where it takes NFL coaches 3 years to turn college linemen into competent profession blockers.

kf3339

Reaction score
My problem with Moore is that you would have expected him to get better as last season went on, but he regressed in not a good way at all. PC preaches it's not how you start, but how you finish. Since that is his mantra it doesn't fit with what Moore has done career to date. Perhaps he can turn it around in the next few weeks, but I think he is looking like the odd man out unless something happens quick in these next two games. The rookies look like they want it more right now.

Fade

Reaction score
I need two more games to get a better feel for who is going to be "in" and who is going to be "out". It is way too early at this juncture.

So with that being said here are some updated thoughts.

Jazz has the talent to easily make the team. But he was a red flag guy coming out of college, and then shows up overweight for the rookie mini-camp.

He is not trustworthy.

He will have to be lights out every day in practice, the meeting room, and in the games. Playing well against Denver's camp fodder isn't enough for him. He has the talent for sure, but he is fighting an uphill battle that he could of easily avoided, but poor decision makers are going to make poor decisions. Surprising I know.

David Moore continues to be a zombie, he needs to show signs of life or he is going to get cut.

Jaron Brown should not make the team as the token "experienced receiver", if he gets beat out by a younger receiver then so be it. That is what competition is all about.

The Rookie WRs in general continue to impress. I want to see them all kept.

The Seahawks with their style of play need to stay low cost at the position. So having a bunch of guys with 4 yrs of team control would be nice.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fade":33hfj2hq said:
I need two more games to get a better feel for who is going to be "in" and who is going to be "out". It is way too early at this juncture.

So with that being said here are some updated thoughts.

Jazz has the talent to easily make the team. But he was a red flag guy coming out of college, and then shows up overweight for the rookie mini-camp.

He is not trustworthy.

He will have to be lights out every day in practice, the meeting room, and in the games. Playing well against Denver's camp fodder isn't enough for him. He has the talent for sure, but he is fighting an uphill battle that he could of easily avoided, but poor decision makers are going to make poor decisions. Surprising I know.

David Moore continues to be a zombie, he needs to show signs of life or he is going to get cut.

Jaron Brown should not make the team as the token "experienced receiver", if he gets beat out by a younger receiver then so be it. That is what competition is all about.

The Rookie WRs in general continue to impress. I want to see them all kept.

The Seahawks with their style of play need to stay low cost at the position. So having a bunch of guys with 4 yrs of team control would be nice.

This ..
As for Brown,he may be a good blocker ect but he has not lived up to
what I think most of us expected and he is blocking a spot we can use
for one of the rookies with height which was one of the big deals at the
time we signed him(Brown)

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
DomeHawk":ws3jjlen said:
chris98251":ws3jjlen said:
DomeHawk":ws3jjlen said:
chris98251":ws3jjlen said:
Just seems like you hope he doesn't deveop and you person in New England does so you can I was right.

From all reports he is a hard worker and wants to learn, the GREATS had holes and wanted to get better and worked hard to do so, maybe he doesn't reach those levels, or like Moss has OC scheme to use him what he does best, Hard to remember Moss going on a crossing pattern at all in the mid level of a defense.

Another ridiculous post Chris, you're the king of them. I have been going to Seahawks' games from the start when my dad and grandfather took me as a child. You really think that I want our first choice in the draft to be bad? Yes, I would rather have had N'Keal but that's a done deal so it doesn't matter.

If there is one person on these boards that constantly tries to prove he is right it is you. For gawd's sake you spend most of your life here.

So do you feel better now, you kicked the shit out of a post and stand over the bleeding body claiming victory and spouting you are King and your shit don't stink once again, your habit of attacking posters and that just not me but many is ridiculous. You must have been the guy that got given wedgies, thrown in the towel cart and pushed into the showers your whole life, do you own a pocket protector also with a assortment of colored pens?

We get it Chris, you live to attack posters on .NET. You're a loser and this is all you have, you spend the majority of your day here acting out your insecurities.

Get a life.

So, you attacked him, he responded in kind, and you attacked again, but he is the one that lives to attack posters? Weird logic.

McGruff

Reaction score
If we could steer this topic back towards discussing the Seahawks, instead to pushing each others buttons, it would be greatly appreciated.

McGruff

Reaction score
The Seahawks tend to base their roster bubbles around positions of strength, not necessarily firm quotas.

That's what I think they will find a way to keep 6 receivers. The numbers are there.

I suspect Brown will make it. He was held out with other starters for a reason. Because hes likely safe.

And Metcalf is safe. Not just because he was a 2nd round pick, but because the reports are out their daily of his consistent performances in practice and growing rapport with Wilson.

That leaves 3 spots for Moore, Reynolds, Jennings, Ursua, Ferguson and Wright.