Who goes to free up cap space?

Fade

Reaction score
Poona is RFA, not UFA. He will be tendered and will be back.

Rob has already put it out there, and he is right. They are spending way too many resources at the Linebacker and Safety spots, and not enough up front on the D-Line.

They need to trim the bloat at backer and get younger and faster at the position. The wheels are already in motion. They moved up and spent a 3rd on Cody Barton, and spent their 1st rounder on Jordyn Brooks. The only way K.J. is back is if he has no market, which normally wouldn't be true, but teams are cap-strapped so it could happen.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Chawker":nlpdssv6 said:
jamescasey1124":nlpdssv6 said:
No way they trade Adam's. Not going to happen. Wags either.

The money is in cutting or restructuring. Jarran and Duane both could have some trade value as well. Duane isnt a lock to stay. You can find suitable lt if you look hard enough. Duane is fantastic in run blocking, but was beat in pass blocking just like the rest of the line. He is also replaceable.

Sign back wright, carson, neal, poona.

Let shaq walk to get his money.

All free agents signings and draft picks go to oline and cb.

Signing back Wright, Carson and Poona ain't happen. Our LBing core have become a whos who at the senior center. Trading Bobby Wagner is a vilable option and one that makes the most scence. Brooks can start in the middle this year, he has the speed to do the job.

We need Brown this season or we will have to spend to much draft capital on our OL. What we need is a blue chip LG, OLBer's and CB to replace Griffen.

If we could get a 2nd and a 3rd from Wagner, this would get us back on track cap whiz but drafting capital as well.

I bet they sign those guys back. We dont need backers. Bobby and wright played great. Only thing they lacked was in coverage and that is a zone issue.

We need legit line and corners that is it. And whe I say line...they are all replaceable except Lewis even though his pass block rate was low too.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":5wsqau47 said:
jamescasey1124":5wsqau47 said:

The money is in cutting or restructuring. Jarran and Duane both could have some trade value as well. Duane isnt a lock to stay. You can find suitable lt if you look hard enough. Duane is fantastic in run blocking, but was beat in pass blocking just like the rest of the line. He is also replaceable.

Hard disagree on Duane Brown, who allowed only 2 sacks on the year as well as earning an elite grade from PFF. You'd have an easier time digging through the Earth to China than you would replacing an LT who played at a top-5 level this year. There's only the slimmest of chances that the trade comp for him would replace his caliber of play.

Also, the line did fine. High pass block win rate, better subjective grades like from PFF. I'd say the issues were more caused by ball-holding and scheme issues than anything else.

The board has been beating the "fix the OL" drum for 10 years. Trading away elite talent isn't how you do that.

Ok what about sacks and pressures? It not just in my head. I watch all the games and every play. Brown was beat several times.
Oh and if trading elite talent isnt how you do it then why is everyone asking to trade bobby and the original post talked about Adam's. Hypocritical if you ask me.
Lt is absolutely easy to find and people make excuses for not having one. Yes brown is good. Probably the best on the line we have. Yet, starting fresh on oline is what we need. It's not just a scheming issue and holding the ball. Its pressures and high sack rates that turn into turnovers which has russ holding the ball.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Fade":1xqxpp8v said:
Poona is RFA, not UFA. He will be tendered and will be back.

Rob has already put it out there, and he is right. They are spending way too many resources at the Linebacker and Safety spots, and not enough up front on the D-Line.

They need to trim the bloat at backer and get younger and faster at the position. The wheels are already in motion. They moved up and spent a 3rd on Cody Barton, and spent their 1st rounder on Jordyn Brooks. The only way K.J. is back is if he has no market, which normally wouldn't be true, but teams are cap-strapped so it could happen.

Kj will be back. You can count on that. He is the last person they let walk.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3e2g8mo9 said:
The team drafted Brooks because they know Wagner’s contract will be an issue.

And they will be playing Brooks more and more. He has a lot of promise and potential. I think he can be real good. It’s time to play Brooks full time and free open some cap space to get more solid pass rushers and offensive lineman.

Wagner will be traded is my guess.

No you are creating narratives. They drafted him for need of third linebacker and eventual replacement. Not because of money, but because of need.

Go ahead though. Let's trade bobby and let wright walk. With no good corners. You thought this team defensively was bad...they will drop off the ******* earth.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":17ql72mr said:
Maelstrom787":17ql72mr said:
jamescasey1124":17ql72mr said:

Hard disagree on Duane Brown, who allowed only 2 sacks on the year as well as earning an elite grade from PFF. You'd have an easier time digging through the Earth to China than you would replacing an LT who played at a top-5 level this year. There's only the slimmest of chances that the trade comp for him would replace his caliber of play.

Also, the line did fine. High pass block win rate, better subjective grades like from PFF. I'd say the issues were more caused by ball-holding and scheme issues than anything else.

The board has been beating the "fix the OL" drum for 10 years. Trading away elite talent isn't how you do that.

Ok what about sacks and pressures? It not just in my head. I watch all the games and every play. Brown was beat several times.
Oh and if trading elite talent isnt how you do it then why is everyone asking to trade bobby and the original post talked about Adam's. Hypocritical if you ask me.
Lt is absolutely easy to find and people make excuses for not having one. Yes brown is good. Probably the best on the line we have. Yet, starting fresh on oline is what we need. It's not just a scheming issue and holding the ball. Its pressures and high sack rates that turn into turnovers which has russ holding the ball.

Do you not realize that the argument you're making regarding Brown is even worse than the Wagner argument you're having? "You think the OL is bad now, they'll fall of a f****** cliff" once you cut an elite left tackle for no reason with no suitable replacement.

There's nothing out there to corroborate your basic eye-test recall on Brown. Again, 2 sacks credited to him all year. 87 grade from PFF - his best since 2011.

Don't trust PFF? Okay. Duane Brown was the 2nd best tackle (Left OR Right) in the entire league last year at pass block win rate, per ESPN. 94%. Absolutely elite. For reference, the line as a whole for the season stood at 64% Pass Block Win Rate, good for 9th in the league.

He is EASILY the teams best pass protector, and he's entering the last year of his contract at an absolute bargain for his level of play.

Elite blindside protection is not easily found, and it does not come cheap. Yet, here it is, already present on the Seattle roster for relatively cheap... and your response is to want to get rid of it? Change for the sake of change is not a good thing if you're just throwing valuable players away because "fresh start." Getting rid of that guy for no good reason doesn't make the line better. It makes it a lot worse.

Also, in other threads I have heavily criticized the idea of trading Wagner, and likely wouldn't trade Adams either. So... no, not hypocritical. In any case, if you're trying to defend the idea of selling low on elite talent just for cap space and draft compensation that almost certainly won't replace said talent, and the thing you chose to defend it was other people having a silly opinion because they're mad and want change... I dunno. You might not have had a strong point to begin with.

Unless, of course, you want to actually justify getting rid of a relatively cheap tackle who, while aging, was the second best tackle in the NFL last season in pass protection and gave up only 2 sacks in a season where he played all 16 games. I'm all ears as to how a "fresh start" would be preferable to that.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3akge5jx said:
jamescasey1124":3akge5jx said:
Maelstrom787":3akge5jx said:
jamescasey1124":3akge5jx said:

Do you not realize that the argument you're making regarding Brown is even worse than the Wagner argument you're having? "You think the OL is bad now, they'll fall of a f****** cliff" once you cut an elite left tackle for no reason with no suitable replacement.

There's nothing out there to corroborate your basic eye-test recall on Brown. Again, 2 sacks credited to him all year. 87 grade from PFF - his best since 2011.

Don't trust PFF? Okay. Duane Brown was the 2nd best tackle (Left OR Right) in the entire league last year at pass block win rate, per ESPN. 94%. Absolutely elite. For reference, the line as a whole for the season stood at 64% Pass Block Win Rate, good for 9th in the league.

He is EASILY the teams best pass protector, and he's entering the last year of his contract at an absolute bargain for his level of play.

Elite blindside protection is not easily found, and it does not come cheap. Yet, here it is, already present on the Seattle roster for relatively cheap... and your response is to want to get rid of it? Change for the sake of change is not a good thing if you're just throwing valuable players away because "fresh start." Getting rid of that guy for no good reason doesn't make the line better. It makes it a lot worse.

Also, in other threads I have heavily criticized the idea of trading Wagner, and likely wouldn't trade Adams either. So... no, not hypocritical. In any case, if you're trying to defend the idea of selling low on elite talent just for cap space and draft compensation that almost certainly won't replace said talent, and the thing you chose to defend it was other people having a silly opinion because they're mad and want change... I dunno. You might not have had a strong point to begin with.

Unless, of course, you want to actually justify getting rid of a relatively cheap tackle who, while aging, was the second best tackle in the NFL last season in pass protection and gave up only 2 sacks in a season where he played all 16 games. I'm all ears as to how a "fresh start" would be preferable to that.

No. I'm pretty much making the argument on brown because everyone else is suggesting trading our elite players. Actual elite players. Not year to year depending. Brown is hit or miss. Pff is for shit and so is win rate. Win rate doesnt count for a number of things and I dont trust horse crap. I've seen guys blown by him with out even putting hands on defender. Also whiff. Just like every one else on the line. He played well this year and if he plays that well again then hell...I dont mind. They have bigger issues to tackle and spots to fill. But I'm not taking back that he is replaceable because he is. For all we know they could drop his salary and bring in another fant type project. You have no idea. But argue to trade one player while protecting another is hypocritical. Brown is expendable.
Several year all pro hall of fame wags is not. Neither is Adam's who will be multiple year all pro.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1visgs92 said:
Maelstrom787":1visgs92 said:
jamescasey1124":1visgs92 said:
Maelstrom787":1visgs92 said:

No. I'm pretty much making the argument on brown because everyone else is suggesting trading our elite players. Actual elite players. Not year to year depending. Brown is hit or miss. Pff is for shit and so is win rate. Win rate doesnt count for a number of things and I dont trust horse crap. I've seen guys blown by him with out even putting hands on defender. Also whiff. Just like every one else on the line. He played well this year and if he plays that well again then hell...I dont mind. They have bigger issues to tackle and spots to fill. But I'm not taking back that he is replaceable because he is. For all we know they could drop his salary and bring in another fant type project. You have no idea. But argue to trade one player while protecting another is hypocritical. Brown is expendable.
Several year all pro hall of fame wags is not. Neither is Adam's who will be multiple year all pro.

Ah, yes. Everyone is wrong because you seem to have thought you saw someone blow by Brown, despite both subjective and objective analysis agreeing that Brown played his ass off this year. Both PFF and PBWR have blind spots, but them agreeing on Brown being elite in 2020 indicates that there is likely some truth there. If your eyes are so much better at grading Brown, by all means, do so and reveal your methodology so we can all learn. Until then, hard pass for me, I'll go with what the consensus is.

Again, don't point the finger at me regarding hypocrisy, bud. I'm across the board saying that Wagner and Adams shouldn't be sent away, and I'm of the same opinion regarding Brown, who DID play at an elite level last season according to every measure except your eyeballs. If anyone's being a hypocrite here, its you for applying a different standard to Brown than you do an aging Wagner who played roughly as good at LB last year as Brown did at LT (which is damn good).

He's replaceable, sure. It's possible. It's also possible that my stock portfolio gains 30,000% tomorrow and I can retire for life. Neither are very likely to happen.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":asgrfmsr said:
jamescasey1124":asgrfmsr said:
Maelstrom787":asgrfmsr said:
jamescasey1124":asgrfmsr said:

No. I'm pretty much making the argument on brown because everyone else is suggesting trading our elite players. Actual elite players. Not year to year depending. Brown is hit or miss. Pff is for $h!t and so is win rate. Win rate doesnt count for a number of things and I dont trust horse crap. I've seen guys blown by him with out even putting hands on defender. Also whiff. Just like every one else on the line. He played well this year and if he plays that well again then hell...I dont mind. They have bigger issues to tackle and spots to fill. But I'm not taking back that he is replaceable because he is. For all we know they could drop his salary and bring in another fant type project. You have no idea. But argue to trade one player while protecting another is hypocritical. Brown is expendable.

Ah, yes. Everyone is wrong because you seem to have thought you saw someone blow by Brown, despite both subjective and objective analysis agreeing that Brown played his ass off this year. Both PFF and PBWR have blind spots, but them agreeing on Brown being elite in 2020 indicates that there is likely some truth there. If your eyes are so much better at grading Brown, by all means, do so and reveal your methodology so we can all learn. Until then, hard pass for me, I'll go with what the consensus is.

Again, don't point the finger at me regarding hypocrisy, bud. I'm across the board saying that Wagner and Adams shouldn't be sent away, and I'm of the same opinion regarding Brown, who DID play at an elite level last season according to every measure except your eyeballs. If anyone's being a hypocrite here, its you for applying a different standard to Brown than you do an aging Wagner who played roughly as good at LB last year as Brown did at LT (which is damn good).

He's replaceable, sure. It's possible. It's also possible that my stock portfolio gains 30,000% tomorrow and I can retire for life. Neither are very likely to happen.

No one is pointing fingers. Havent even said you said...he said bs. All I said was why I threw out browns name and that there is hypocrisy. Take it how you want. You follow the crowd. I know what I saw.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":34aznm3f said:
Maelstrom787":34aznm3f said:
jamescasey1124":34aznm3f said:
Maelstrom787":34aznm3f said:

No. I'm pretty much making the argument on brown because everyone else is suggesting trading our elite players. Actual elite players. Not year to year depending. Brown is hit or miss. Pff is for $h!t and so is win rate. Win rate doesnt count for a number of things and I dont trust horse crap. I've seen guys blown by him with out even putting hands on defender. Also whiff. Just like every one else on the line. He played well this year and if he plays that well again then hell...I dont mind. They have bigger issues to tackle and spots to fill. But I'm not taking back that he is replaceable because he is. For all we know they could drop his salary and bring in another fant type project. You have no idea. But argue to trade one player while protecting another is hypocritical. Brown is expendable.

No one is pointing fingers. Havent even said you said...he said bs. All I said was why I threw out browns name and that there is hypocrisy. Take it how you want. You follow the crowd. I know what I saw.

Well, you're responding to me. Naturally, I thought you bringing up hypocrisy was directed at me, since you were replying to my message in a critical fashion. If that's not what you meant, then that's fair enough.

Still, getting rid of Brown is insanity. Great way to get a lot worse on offense instantly.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Extend Lockett, Reed, Dunlap, Brown, Diggs and possibly others (pushing down there current cap numbers)

Convert some of Russell and Bobby's money into future roster bonuses

This is an all in year, we have a window with DK's rookie deal

Tre Flowers is the only one I could see cutting

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1m7boxp1 said:
Letting Brown go would be a massive mistake. I mean they are a dime a dozen right? Come on man.

I started with brown and reed because they have trade value and brown is not a lock to stay. Never said he would go. Just wanted to make the same point as people saying trade russ, wags, Adam's. It's all ridiculous. I did say he was expendable.

nwHawk

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1vg0zxyf said:
Lt is absolutely easy to find and people make excuses for not having one.

Interesting.

NFL Owners need to get on the phone and find out what the secret is, because many teams struggle with this. But I did enjoy the chuckle.

chris98251

Reaction score
Your in a window that's closing faster then we realize, you keep every impact player you can and try to squeeze in others this year on one year deals, restructure do whatever. Rams, Cards, 49ers are all gonna be right there, the separation will be minute less injuries popping up.

If you want a full rebuild then by all means get rid of Adams, Dunlap, Wagner, Wright, Lockett and DK for picks, although the college season was a mess and many players sat out and the scouting spotty on those that did play.

This year above all other don't worry about the picks, focus on the Free Agents.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
nwHawk":c2sxk3i6 said:
jamescasey1124":c2sxk3i6 said:
Lt is absolutely easy to find and people make excuses for not having one.

Interesting.

NFL Owners need to get on the phone and find out what the secret is, because many teams struggle with this. But I did enjoy the chuckle.

The whole argument is flawed from the ground up. A fundamental and total misunderstanding of the value of the position, an underestimation of the rarity of an elite performer at LT, and a complete outlier of an evaluation of his performance with no subjective or objective analysis to back it.

He keeps saying he's not advocating for Brown to go, but he's pounding the table pretty dang hard.

getnasty

Reaction score
I get the logic behind trading Adams but that's not going to happen. I don't see Dunlap back at 14 million a year either extend him and lower the number or let him walk. 14 million in the up coming year is a lot of money.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2uhggs0e said:
Still waiting to hear how easily a LT can magically be replaced.

Pretty easy. How many d1 schools? How many division 2 and division 3. There are juco schools with football programs. Say every one of these schools have full rosters and participate in ncaa and ncia seasons. Which they do. Your telling me that as a professional sports gm can not fashion a formidable lt (just one position) when there are literally several hundred schools to pick from? You guys cant be this foolish. Scouts dont reach far enough, try hard enough to find those positions of need. If they did you would be seeing drafts with multiple players picked out of d2 and d3 schools in the first round. Shit...we could see European and foreign players make a bigger jump. Nope instead we see...alabama... lsu... 1st round picks non stop. Alot dont pan out. So as hard as you guys say it is to replace an lt...then why...every year...differing teams go far in the playoffs with sub level players who replace said elite players? You example...Eric Fisher chiefs just got an injury. But guess what...tons of undrafted players and low level drafted players make strides on the football field when no on thought they could.

Latest posts