Who goes to free up cap space?

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
nwHawk":2gx8l99a said:
jamescasey1124":2gx8l99a said:
Lt is absolutely easy to find and people make excuses for not having one.

Interesting.

NFL Owners need to get on the phone and find out what the secret is, because many teams struggle with this. But I did enjoy the chuckle.

Many teams struggle with this or just your opinion? Pretty much just a saying. Pretty sure every team in the league has who they think would be sufficient at lt. Back up too.

So are you just grabbing at hearsay or actually seeing it on the field.

Pretty sure the ravens didnt call you to voice there concerns about the lt position.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3vciplyv said:
Right, an undrafted guy will just come in and play top tier LT level. Ok...….

Ok then how do undrafted players become successful? They have to get a chance. I guess baldwin would say you need to be drafted. Besides...that wasnt even my point. My point was there is enough product out there to evaluate and teams need to try harder.

Again...amount of schools, leagues, foreign and domestic...your telling me 1 position of let's just say 500 different avenues you cant find....
1 player in 500 schools, leagues etc.

Hard to believe.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Wow this is pretty crazy that one player is so untouchable when all these other guys are being discussed. Clearly we have favorite here...

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Again...started in post saying brown doesnt need to go and could have trade value.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1xshkul8 said:
If only it was that easy to just pluck a solid LT to protect your franchise QB.

Ahh...only if it was easy to not create a mental block about it. Over something that doesnt exist. Only exaggerated...

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1sikgct3 said:
Wow this is pretty crazy that one player is so untouchable when all these other guys are being discussed. Clearly we have favorite here...

There you go again, implying that everyone is hypocritical because SOME keep mentioning trading Wagner.

Brown isn't untouchable, you just have absolutely no valid argument for letting him go.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2aa29leh said:
jamescasey1124":2aa29leh said:

There you go again, implying that everyone is hypocritical because SOME keep mentioning trading Wagner.

Brown isn't untouchable, you just have absolutely no valid argument for letting him go.

Man no one is talking to you. Go find something to do.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":bi0mofz2 said:
Maelstrom787":bi0mofz2 said:
jamescasey1124":bi0mofz2 said:

LT is a top 3 most important position. DT and MLB are not.

The dropoff from a team with elite MLB to average MLB play is not detrimental. LA had the best defense and I cant name a single LB on their squad but their DL and secondary were elite.

I will not blink of we trade Bobby, teams getting quality starting LBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds all the time. Whos to say if KJ and Bobby are gone we dont move to more 2 LB and 3 Safteys with Adams, Diggs, and Blair. Probably even get vet LB on the cheap to compete with Barton and another rookie.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Wenhawk":18wrd5lu said:
jamescasey1124":18wrd5lu said:
Maelstrom787":18wrd5lu said:
jamescasey1124":18wrd5lu said:

LT is a top 3 most important position. DT and MLB are not.

Ok name me a superbowl team with an elite left tackle and garbage on the rest of the line. Wont happen. The entirety of the line makes the line. Not an individual.

Oh and the rams didnt make the super bowl. I can still name their linebackers. Guess who made it to the superbowl with elite linebackers? The Bucs. But yeah...anyway.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Protecting the blind side of Russ is EXTREMELY important. LT's that are good are not easy to find. And they're certainly not cheap. Just throw some random guy in there and we are looking at a 6 win season, if that. Why?
Because Russ will get killed back there. You don't take LT lightly, it's is by far one of the most important positions on any team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
it's not so much who goes, it'll be who agrees to restructure. This is going to be the year of the restructure, too many guys making too much in the last year or two of their deals;

Dunlap
Wagner
Reed
Brown
and yes, also Russell might be approached

I think all of these guys are going to be asked to restructure to add another year or two to lower their cap hits.

Big who goes free agents? KJ and Carson are gone.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
For sure, and I think it's league wide. With the cap dropping down, a lot of players around the league are going to have to restructure. Maybe move some money to later in the contract, as in after 2021. Makes you wonder if some really big names will come available as free agents. And many will likely have to put their tail between their legs and take lower deals. Seems like more 1 year deals would be the way to go. Then parlay that in to a bigger contract in 2022.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Problem here is if this situation continues for another year and the cap is still noticeably down for next year. the really big contracts at a few positions other than extreme skill positions are going to disappear. 1-2 year deals with opt outs will likely be the norm.

The predictions at present are that it won't be until next year at about this time that things will start to return to some varied form of the way things used to be. Even that is uncertain with various more virulent strains of the virus developing.

Various financial models for numerous things housing, cities, the way we work, socializing and public gatherings in the meanwhile are going to drastically change.

At present at least there seems to be some easing of the $175 million cap to a present suspected level of $185 million. That is still significantly down from the $198 million of last year.

FA players will be squeezed hard by the owners here and significant creativity is going to need to be displayed to avoid quite a few teams losing key players as they had done their forward cap modelling on a steadily increasing cap number to work with. Most every team will be converting salary to bonus capable of amortization to open cap space.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1lvk3rhf said:
Protecting the blind side of Russ is EXTREMELY important. LT's that are good are not easy to find. And they're certainly not cheap. Just throw some random guy in there and we are looking at a 6 win season, if that. Why?
Because Russ will get killed back there. You don't take LT lightly, it's is by far one of the most important positions on any team.

Ok if they are that important...why is our line statistically as bad at pass blocking as they were when fant was starting? It's just proof that lt isnt that important. However when you talk about a stout o line the biggest pieces are usually a good lt and center. But lt by itself is not that important.

Again...never said brown should be gone. I think he should restructure to allow the seahawks to find a good center and lg.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1hccc94o said:
SoulfishHawk":1hccc94o said:

Ok if they are that important...why is our line statistically as bad at pass blocking as they were when fant was starting? It's just proof that lt isnt that important. However when you talk about a stout o line the biggest pieces are usually a good lt and center. But lt by itself is not that important.

Again...never said brown should be gone. I think he should restructure to allow the seahawks to find a good center and lg.

Please provide evidence that the line was as bad at pass blocking this year as they were when George Fant was a starter.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This whole entire Offensive Linemen discussion is confusing me.

According to some people, replacing a LT should be a piece of cake, so we should save cap space by replacing Brown. On the other hand, our offensive line sucks and is causing Wilson to get sacked all the time.

Which is it? Is it really easy to get talent on the offensive line? Or is it not that easy, thus our having such a sucky offensive line? I can't see how it's possible to easily replace Duane Brown, but not be able to upgrade the line as a whole to do a good job in protection. This just doesn't seem very logical to me.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":x6i36i70 said:
Give brady, mahomes and wilson all four seconds clean with open routes and the results will be very similar. You cant be a successful offense giving up this many sacks.

This part here is what makes it clear to me that you've got a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation.

No one gets 4 clean seconds on a consistent basis. That isn't real. It's a fairy tale. If Brady got that much time, why would he be taking 2.5 seconds to throw on average?

That is just not even close to how any of this works.

Latest posts