Why can't the defense get off the field on third down?

McGruff

Reaction score
RussB":3crd2loe said:
I feel like there is lack of agression from guys like shead and lane and sometimes sherman. They seem content with letting the WR catch the pass sometimes and making the tackle after. They make no effort to undercut routes or make a play on the ball anymore. I dont even remember the last time anyone other CB than sherman got a pick.

I thought Shead played really well last night, But Lane and McCray both played scared.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think it was McCray who made a "business decision" against the pulling Incognito that was hilarious.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Injuries, fatigue, and...c'mon, guys, give some credit to Tyrod Taylor. He's Russell Wilson with a better O-line.

McGruff

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":24d5lf91 said:
Injuries, fatigue, and...c'mon, guys, give some credit to Tyrod Taylor. He's Russell Wilson with a better O-line.

Yeah, at a certain point, we have to tip our hats to Taylor and McCoy, who played out of their minds last night.

RW92

Reaction score
I know everyone has gotten on Lane and it is justified. But Brock Coyle had his mishaps out there as well. Was there any issues with Kevin P. Louis? I'd say give Frank Clark a try on certain downs at the SAM position and see what happens. I'm not sure how well he would do in pass coverage, but maybe we could help in coverage to compensate for the energy he brings to the game.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
How many three and outs have we had in the last two games? One against the Saints and two against the Bills. The defense is great, but they allow the other teams to drive. There isn't any urgency to get off the field. I was totally impressed with Taylor, though.

If we are to have a great offense, we have to be efficient now. We aren't bruisers anymore. That means quick scores with large chunks of yards. It's the only way we are scoring. Defense is gonna hafts figure out how to get off the field.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Seanhawk":wxy9gygy said:
pcbball12":wxy9gygy said:
Bigpumpkin":wxy9gygy said:
IMHO....fatigue was clearly a factor tonight. The TOP was 2-1 in the Bills favor at one point late in the game. Without an adequate running game, our Offence is unable to "pound the ball" eating up the clock ....which gives the Defense some rest. Our O-line does need some guidance on moving the opponent backwards.
While fatigue may very well be a factor, it cannot be the blame of the first drive of the game (not counting the 1 play TD after the punt block). It was a 10 minute drive that resulted in a TD.

Any fatigue last night was 100% on the defense. Get off the field.

Glad someone posted this. 100%. Weeks past, it was the offenses fault, but Monday the offense was scoring. The D needs to get off the field. The TOP discrepancy was on them that game.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":cfe41nn3 said:
Seanhawk":cfe41nn3 said:
pcbball12":cfe41nn3 said:
Bigpumpkin":cfe41nn3 said:
IMHO....fatigue was clearly a factor tonight. The TOP was 2-1 in the Bills favor at one point late in the game. Without an adequate running game, our Offence is unable to "pound the ball" eating up the clock ....which gives the Defense some rest. Our O-line does need some guidance on moving the opponent backwards.
While fatigue may very well be a factor, it cannot be the blame of the first drive of the game (not counting the 1 play TD after the punt block). It was a 10 minute drive that resulted in a TD.

Any fatigue last night was 100% on the defense. Get off the field.

Glad someone posted this. 100%. Weeks past, it was the offenses fault, but Monday the offense was scoring. The D needs to get off the field. The TOP discrepancy was on them that game.

I agree that the offense had been glaringly bad the previous couple weeks, but no matter how bad they were, the defense still should be accountable for how long they are the field. They may get on the field more often when the offense is playing poor, but how long they stay out there is still completely on them. Sometimes I wish they would treat the first down marker the same as they treat the goal line.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Pretty simple actually- they can't get off the field because they do NOT have an effective pass rush- watch the SB again when we had NE down two scores- Brady picked our ass apart because we had NO effective pass rush

Why does this damn defensive coach always go into his "prevent mode"(that NEVER works) instead of stacking em in the box and bringing the house- what the hell man- WHAT in the world are you afraid of- that they will complete easy pass- THEY ARE ALREADY doing that

The third and 23 in this last game was the last bullshit play he called- absolute bullshit

Largent80

Reaction score
Teams are realizing we are giving them the short passes and hence the long 17 play drives. It's time to start NOT playing zone so much. They can disguise zone and play man which may result in some turnovers, which also seem to be lacking this year.

No running game is a HUGE factor for our defense, and the success of the running game starts with RW. He has NOT been able to be his normal self and defenses aren't concerned with spying him. Also, we gave 4 first downs on 3rd down to N.O. via penalty.

cymatica

Reaction score
Should just start the game playing aggressive and cheating on routes, then start playing off a little. Then at least if they get scored on, they are off the field quick and don't wear out in the 1st quarter

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
cymatica":1m0k5ru1 said:
Should just start the game playing aggressive and cheating on routes, then start playing off a little. Then at least if they get scored on, they are off the field quick and don't wear out in the 1st quarter

I don't like this, too risky.

But I would like to see a LOT more blitzing on 3rd downs. Without Bennett we're not getting home enough on 3rd down with just rushing four.

This means our DB's have to cover for longer, so blitz! Our DB's are great at press covering and making it hard for WR's to get off the line. So blitzing makes more sense for the DB's and press cover they can play.