Why did Hawks pass on Will Levis? Feels like QBOTF miss

Xxx

Reaction score
Wow, sold? Pete’s gotta retire soon…
I like snider. And I love Pete, but he’s falling behind. He can play smash mouth football (when he has the personnel), but todays nfl takes more creativity to overcome defenses that can’t be blocked. So if Pete has to bring in coaches to get creative but he won’t let them be free to let it rip then is Pete the problem?

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think the comp to Drew is what the FO saw. Seems obvious they didn't think that Levis was measurably better overall than Lock, AND Drew knows the system and fits the culture like a glove.

If they saw Mahomes / Allen talent and potential, he'd be here. I definitely don't see it.
That one point makes more sense than anything else. IIRC, PC/JS (one or t'other) commented that if Drew Lock was in this draft, he'd be a top 5 pick. Or maybe it was prior draft year when the QB class WAS truly bad.

I'll go with... Levis didn't grade out higher for Hawks than Drew Lock, who was already under a team-friendly contract. Measurables are probably similar. They'd have to ship Lock out. Team knows what they have with Lock. Levis could be boom or bust. Levis could turn out better than Lock.

Personally, I'm hoping Lock develops into our QBOTF within the next two years. Hawks have kept him around two seasons now.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Didn't Geno have basically the same game as Levis did against the Steelers in 2021?

Kept it close, played fine, lost on a turnover at the end?

I dunno. I think it's all an expectations issue. Levis could end up being good. Geno is. But I don't think anyone here really thought it was a veteran top 10 QB performance from Geno in 2021.
Good catch! Absolutely, with one major (but somewhat irrelevant) difference... Levis drove like 70 yards and got his team into scoring position, around the 10 yard line, but was running out of game time, no timeouts, HAD TO take a shot at the end zone. Geno fumbled away the game before the drive even got started.

Nice recall, to pull this one out of your... memory banks!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
PCJS don't need no stinkin' rookie!

They have Geno for next year.
Then Lock for a couple years.
Then someone like Fields will be bouncing around - they'll have their choice of reclamation projects.

PCJS will be here for eternity and they'll never draft a QB above the 5th round again.
PCJS don't need no stinkin' rookie!

They have Geno for next year.
Then Lock for a couple years.
Then someone like Fields will be bouncing around - they'll have their choice of reclamation projects.

PCJS will be here for eternity and they'll never draft a QB above the 5th round again.
Lock is only signed for this year.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Good catch! Absolutely, with one major (but somewhat irrelevant) difference... Levis drove like 70 yards and got his team into scoring position, around the 10 yard line, but was running out of game time, no timeouts, HAD TO take a shot at the end zone. Geno fumbled away the game before the drive even got started.

Nice recall, to pull this one out of your... memory banks!
My point is that it wasn't impressive enough, for me, to pine over. Not yet. He's got the same kind of issues he did, and I think we've got a very similar player in Lock. Levis has more upside, yes, but I didn't see a performance to be especially jealous over against the Steelers.

I'd love to have the game before that one, but I'm not sold.

Also, it was a pretty good drive in 2021 to get into OT to begin with, to Geno's credit. Strip sacks suck, but it was also TJ Watt bringing that hammer down. The Levis interception is understandable as pressing late has to happen, as well. I'm just trying to point out how similar these scenarios were to illustrate how previously-held expectations color our perception of results.

The Titans are right to be excited that they might have something in Levis, and they're right to give him the job (I think).

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
My point is that it wasn't impressive enough, for me, to pine over. Not yet. He's got the same kind of issues he did, and I think we've got a very similar player in Lock. Levis has more upside, yes, but I didn't see a performance to be especially jealous over against the Steelers.

Also, it was a pretty good drive in 2021 to get into OT to begin with, to Geno's credit. Strip sacks suck, but it was also TJ Watt bringing that hammer down. The Levis interception is understandable as pressing late has to happen, as well. I'm just trying to point out how similar these scenarios were to illustrate how previously-held expectations color our perception of results.

The Titans are right to be excited that they might have something in Levis, and they're right to give him the job (I think).
Yeah, but since we didn't have Lock, Hawks should have taken Levis... Oops, that's right, Hawks do have Lock.

Which leads to... the Seahawks were likely not going to take ANY QB in this draft, and had made that decision well ahead of draft day. So the Seahawks braintrust probably watched with interest, and maybe just a little regret, as Levis slipped further and further, into the 2nd round. So, GUESSING... Seahawks had already done their grading work and decided Drew Lock >= Will Levis.

I did think it was pretty awesome to pull out that comparison to the 2021 Steelers game.

The thing that's surprising me so far about Levis is his apparent leadership qualities. At this point, we're only guessing at what kind of career he will have, based on limited data. "Levis doesn't care about your opinion of him, he's got football games to go win!"

Weadoption

Reaction score
The Seahawks drafting Levis could have led to a life extinction event on this planet so I for one am glad it didn’t go down.
can’t prove me wrong
i 🥇 the game
gummies kickin in

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Without reading all this, just got to say, every team passed on him at least once I think.

bileever

Reaction score
FWIW, Josh Allen is not playing lights out... not right now.

IIRC, during last week's BUF broadcast, one of the announcers said that Allen has thrown an INT in each of his last four games (or something similar).
Uh, Josh Allen is playing pretty well. Yes, he has thrown 9 interceptions, but he has also completed 71% of his passes and has thrown 18 TDs. By any metric, he's near the top. He's number 1 in QBR and also number 1 in PFF ranking.

Ozzy

Reaction score

I did. He handled pressure better than Geno does in his second start imo. It wasn't a great stat type of game but those are typically games rookie QB's look terrible in. He stayed strong in the pocket and made a couple of outstanding plays.

I love what I saw from Levis in the second game more than the first game if I'm being honest.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Lately? Def. isn't geNOT
He looked confident last year. Where is the confidence this year? I don't see it. In fact, K.J. is talking about it today.

Xxx

Reaction score
I
Yeah, but since we didn't have Lock, Hawks should have taken Levis... Oops, that's right, Hawks do have Lock.

Which leads to... the Seahawks were likely not going to take ANY QB in this draft, and had made that decision well ahead of draft day. So the Seahawks braintrust probably watched with interest, and maybe just a little regret, as Levis slipped further and further, into the 2nd round. So, GUESSING... Seahawks had already done their grading work and decided Drew Lock >= Will Levis.

I did think it was pretty awesome to pull out that comparison to the 2021 Steelers game.

The thing that's surprising me so far about Levis is his apparent leadership qualities. At this point, we're only guessing at what kind of career he will have, based on limited data. "Levis doesn't care about your opinion of him, he's got football games to go win!"
bet they would have taken Anthony Richardson

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The draft is and always will be a crap shoot. Just because a guy lights it up in College, that doesn't automatically mean he will light it up in the NFL.
A lot of luck is involved. See the 29ers with Purdy. Pure luck.
And look how many 1st round QB's have turned out to be total busts? Several.