Why did Hawks pass on Will Levis? Feels like QBOTF miss

olyfan63

Reaction score
Having seen Will Levis play like a veteran top 10 QB in two straight games, and his phenomenal arm talent, and impressive accuracy, why didn't the Hawks pull the trigger and bring him to Seattle? It looks like he has the leadership intangibles also. I understand timing concerns, and "win now" and "don't hurt Geno's feelings" and all that, but DAMN! Even under Pittsburgh's heavy pressure, Levis made a game out of it, right down to the last throw. I'll be watching each of his games/highlights from this point forward, and oh, what might have been.

I know there are lots of potential reasons the Hawks passed, and if he were as sure a thing as he looked in his first two starts, he would have been a top 5 pick. Is scouting "real" QB talent that hard? The Hawks have identified some great talents, but never were in position to draft one--until Levis. I suppose the next few games will tell us more, as opponents get film on him. Now Tennessee needs to get Levis some real receivers.

bileever

Reaction score
I also saw Will Levis play, and I didn't come away with the same conclusion about his play. While he undoubtedly has a lot of talent and made some good throws, it's a stretch to say he's playing "like a veteran top 10 QB." I saw a QB who held onto the ball too long at times and took 4 sacks against the Steelers. He played okay but the Titans scored a total of 16 points. Yes, the Steelers have a pretty good defense, but it was hardly a spectacular effort against a team that was playing without Minkah Fitzpatrick and then lost Cole Holcomb. I think that there is a good chance he will develop into being a good player, but it isn't obvious yet.

By the way, PFF currently ranks Will Levis at #31, one rank ahead of Deshawn Watson.

The problem is that you can always play this game with a player who becomes a star. Hindsight is 20/20. Many superstars were passed over by a number of teams. No point in dwelling on it.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
I also saw Will Levis play, and I didn't come away with the same conclusion about his play. While he undoubtedly has a lot of talent and made some good throws, it's a stretch to say he's playing "like a veteran top 10 QB." I saw a QB who held onto the ball too long at times and took 4 sacks against the Steelers. He played okay but the Titans scored a total of 16 points. Yes, the Steelers have a pretty good defense, but it was hardly a spectacular effort against a team that was playing without Minkah Fitzpatrick and then lost Cole Holcomb. I think that there is a good chance he will develop into being a good player, but it isn't obvious yet.

By the way, PFF currently ranks Will Levis at #31, one rank ahead of Deshawn Watson.

The problem is that you can always play this game with a player who becomes a star. Hindsight is 20/20. Many superstars were passed over by a number of teams. No point in dwelling on it.
Fair enough, and thanks for the quality response. (y)

I saw Pickett miss 3 or 4 open receivers with off-target throws, and, by contrast, Levis repeatedly put similar throws on target for a chunk play completion. Sure, Pickett isn't the best comp, and for sure Levis held the ball too long several times against Pittsburgh's intense pressure. The other thing I saw is how hard Pittsburgh worked and schemed to take away DeAndre Hopkins, who has become Levis' security blanket. For a rookie starting his 2nd game, with a patchwork O-Line playing against some elite pass-rushers, Levis did pretty darn good, exceeded expectations.

One thing that can't really be coached is arm strength. Levis has that in spades, and seems to also have pretty good accuracy, better than what Josh Allen had coming in. Right now it seems even money to project sophomore season Levis as matching 2nd year Josh Allen's production. I can't comment much on Levis's "Processing" yet, though it's certainly not horrible. Maybe others already have observations about Levis' processing and NFL D-reading abilities?

It's not about hindsight or dwelling on anything, as much as understanding what Pete is looking for in QBs, and better learning how to evaluate college QBs and how they'll translate to the pros. Levis would seem to check a ton of Carroll's boxes. Maybe they didn't like his interview. (Unlikely IMO) Maybe they would have pulled the trigger at #37 if Levis had dropped that far. Hard to know. Drake Maye, Caleb Williams, Seattle will NOT be in position to draft either of those guys.

Four years of rookie QB salary for way-better-than-salary play, and enough money to roster other talent, that formula got Carroll-Schneider and the Hawks to two Super Bowls.

James in PA

Reaction score
If John loved him (as in had that Mahomes / Allen feeling about him), he absolutely would have taken a swing at #20. The fact that he didn't means he wasn't 100% sold. John knows QBs. In John we trust.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Small sample size, but what I saw in the 4th quarter against the Squealers is Levis backing out of his throws, dropping his elbow and therefore floating the ball, which ultimately leads to INTs in the NFL.

He's a work in progress at best imo.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Having seen Will Levis play like a veteran top 10 QB in two straight games, and his phenomenal arm talent, and impressive accuracy, why didn't the Hawks pull the trigger and bring him to Seattle? It looks like he has the leadership intangibles also. I understand timing concerns, and "win now" and "don't hurt Geno's feelings" and all that, but DAMN! Even under Pittsburgh's heavy pressure, Levis made a game out of it, right down to the last throw. I'll be watching each of his games/highlights from this point forward, and oh, what might have been.

I know there are lots of potential reasons the Hawks passed, and if he were as sure a thing as he looked in his first two starts, he would have been a top 5 pick. Is scouting "real" QB talent that hard? The Hawks have identified some great talents, but never were in position to draft one--until Levis. I suppose the next few games will tell us more, as opponents get film on him. Now Tennessee needs to get Levis some real receivers.
Didn't Geno have basically the same game as Levis did against the Steelers in 2021?

Kept it close, played fine, lost on a turnover at the end?

I dunno. I think it's all an expectations issue. Levis could end up being good. Geno is. But I don't think anyone here really thought it was a veteran top 10 QB performance from Geno in 2021.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Levis is good but he’s no Josh Allen. You make moves for guys like Mahomes and Allen. Levis has a live arm though agreed to your point but is he just another Carson Wentz? Maybe

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Levis is good but he’s no Josh Allen. You make moves for guys like Mahomes and Allen. Levis has a live arm though agreed to your point but is he just another Carson Wentz? Maybe
FWIW, Josh Allen is not playing lights out... not right now.

IIRC, during last week's BUF broadcast, one of the announcers said that Allen has thrown an INT in each of his last four games (or something similar).

renofox

Reaction score
It's impossible to judge whether a QB will reach his potential in just 2 games. It often takes a couple years to judge.

I don't trust that PCJS are SO GOOD at evaluating QBs that they KNOW if a draft prospect is going to translate to a successful NFL career.

I've been wanting to see them take shots at drafting a QB for 5 years or so, when it became obvious RW was fading.

I was hoping to see a move up for Stroud (#1) or Richardson (#2), or to grab Levis when he dropped to #20 (he was my #3 and I figured he'd be gone by then).

I just hate being in QBOTF limbo, knowing it will probably take at least a few tries to find the next guy. We were in great position with Geno as a bridge, but having a bridge to nowhere would really suck.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I wish they'd drafted him. But they must not have rated him too highly.

Fade

Reaction score
In terms of physical tools he's a Seahawks prospect.

They have more info than the public is privy to.

And whatever it is, it was enough for them to not even pick him in the 2nd rd. So it has me wondering, what was it that made them pass on him?

Sherman and the whole Thursday Night panel were sure impressed with him.

I need to know though, what was it about him the Seahawks didn't like? Could it be as simple as he has a propensity for bonehead throws? Guys like Mahomes, Favre, and Allen had that coming out of school. It's a quark that can be coached up. And JS liked Mahomes & Allen in spite of this.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

And whatever it is, it was enough for them to not even pick him in the 2nd rd. So it has me wondering, what was it that made them pass on him?

I need to know though, what was it about him the Seahawks didn't like? Could it be as simple as he has a propensity for bonehead throws? Guys like Mahomes, Favre, and Allen had that coming out of school. It's a quark that can be coached up. And JS liked Mahomes & Allen in spite of this.
It can definitely be mitigated via coaching, but Levis isn't the same type of raw talent as Mahomes and Allen. Mahomes and Allen both had absolutely mind-boggling arm talent. Levis has a live arm, but really isn't in the same stratosphere upside-wise.

Levis seems more in the mold of a Drew Lock type of prospect. Really didn't handle pressure (as in pass rush pressure) well at Kentucky, and kind of stagnated. Significantly regressed in his final year, but fair to chalk it up at least half-way to issues with supporting cast and coaching.

Was some talk of his interviews not being great, but I'm not privy to that stuff in any way other than dubious draft reporting, so I'm not gonna consider it in this situation.

They might've had a second round grade on him, honestly. We'll probably never know with the Titans jumping up to 33 to grab him.

keasley45

Reaction score
It can definitely be mitigated via coaching, but Levis isn't the same type of raw talent as Mahomes and Allen. Mahomes and Allen both had absolutely mind-boggling arm talent. Levis has a live arm, but really isn't in the same stratosphere upside-wise.

Levis seems more in the mold of a Drew Lock type of prospect. Really didn't handle pressure (as in pass rush pressure) well at Kentucky, and kind of stagnated. Significantly regressed in his final year, but fair to chalk it up at least half-way to issues with supporting cast and coaching.

Was some talk of his interviews not being great, but I'm not privy to that stuff in any way other than dubious draft reporting, so I'm not gonna consider it in this situation.

They might've had a second round grade on him, honestly. We'll probably never know with the Titans jumping up to 33 to grab him.

I think the comp to Drew is what the FO saw. Seems obvious they didn't think that Levis was measurably better overall than Lock, AND Drew knows the system and fits the culture like a glove.

If they saw Mahomes / Allen talent and potential, he'd be here. I definitely don't see it.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, 27 Franchises passed on Levis, the Rams could also have easily traded up for him if they wanted.

Too early to tell yet but even if Levis does turn out to be a top 10 QB "Why did the Hawks pass on Levis?" could be repeated for almost evey team. Why did every team pass on Tom Brady multiple times.

Much of the media might have had Levis as a top 5 pick but they know less than the GMs/HCs making the draft choices. I remember the much of the media were astonished Johnny Menziel was not only not picks No 1 overall but dropped to 22, and the Browns quickly regretted taking him that high (or at all for that matter).

Xxx

Reaction score

So lame…

bileever

Reaction score

To your point about the Seahawks not picking him in the second round--Levis was the second pick in the second round, at #33, so the Seahawks never got the chance to pick him at #37. Of course, we'll never know if they had their eyes on him for #37.

renofox

Reaction score
PCJS don't need no stinkin' rookie!

They have Geno for next year.
Then Lock for a couple years.
Then someone like Fields will be bouncing around - they'll have their choice of reclamation projects.

PCJS will be here for eternity and they'll never draft a QB above the 5th round again.

Xxx

Reaction score
PCJS don't need no stinkin' rookie!

They have Geno for next year.
Then Lock for a couple years.
Then someone like Fields will be bouncing around - they'll have their choice of reclamation projects.

PCJS will be here for eternity and they'll never draft a QB above the 5th round again.
I hope you’re wrong