Why do we throw to the sidelines so often?

Jville

Reaction score
A powerful running game and a 50/50 mix of pass and run is how the Titan offense made it a game. Seahawks must crank up their running game to present better balance and uncertainty for an opponent. Snap counts are the better comparison to keep track of this year. Utilization of up tempo and quick snaps have altered what is useful to track. Snap counts have always been better in my opinion.

The Seattle Seahawks have been a successful red line team thru out the Pete Carroll era (since 2010). They're blending in the new concepts while exploiting specific match ups on a week to week basis. But they need a better running game to make it all work. This year's offense is just getting started.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Just watch the overtime play...
Russ throws to Lockett on the sideline, he's double covered, he catches it out of bounds...
DK had single coverage a few yards away, he was open!
Then next play, sideline, overthrows DK!
Swain was open on the other side of the field!
Next play was the end zone debacle...
We all know what happened after that!
Russ was just playing bad in the second half...
Why? Who knows?!

Own The West

Reaction score
No quarterback sees 'over' their line, so height isn't the issue.

I think we throw to the sidelines more b/c it's an easier read. You only have defenders coming from one direction.

While we're airing grievances though, I'll add my shout at the TV moment. It was on the 3rd to last play of regulation with 30 seconds on the clock, two timeouts, and Russ holds the ball for like 20 secs and effectively ends the game. We needed like 25 yards to get into FG range and he's trying for the homerun -- again. :roll:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maybe it all has to do with "the" interception which was short and in the middle of the field?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Weirdly, I've seen Wilson make all the throws when driving to lead us to a win in those come from behind moments.

So many of them it is weird that people create this illusion that Wilson cannot do something that he regularly does in crunch time when he has to.

Now, Wilson has been coached for near 10 years to throw the ball a certain way and to certain spots. After almost a decade of that, you don't think that under pressure in the middle of the fire he might revert to the way he was coached? Even if is he now 'allowed' to do the other stuff?

Bad habits are hard to break. And it would be hard to argue Wilson does tend to go for sideline throws more than makes sense.

But to argue he cannot complete quick passes or throws over the middle? That somehow he has a weakness that prevents it? When he does this all the time, consistently, in key moments where he has to complete those passes quickly?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Russ can make all the throws. Last year at Atlanta is a good example of one of his best games.

Pass chart WIL777781 2020 REG 1 1608145776624

There was even distribution all around to multiple targets (WR/TE/RB). Last Sunday, seems he tried to force feed the ball to Lockett and DK all game.

Throwdown

Reaction score
xray":2uc7l51l said:
Wilson's height has always been an issue . If he drops back or rolls out he can see deep and the sidelines best . Trying to make him a pocket QB is a waste of time . IMO Imagine what he could do if he was 6'4" . :D

Nah he can’t read it.