Why would Pete go for it on 4th dn late in4th instead of fg?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jptq0ex said:
Don't get me wrong, I like this side of Pete. We won the game because he took risks. But it was the wrong call. You kick the FG.

^^^ this. I don't like the call, but I do like the call.

Showed some balls - something that's been missing all season. Was it right? If it works, you're the hero, if not, you're the goat.

It was the wrong call - but it was that kind of a game - and again, I like the ballsy component to it. Kinda felt like that all game.

I like in his presser after the game "I didn't think twice about that at all! <evil little smirk>" - thought it was funny.

rcaido

Reaction score
i like the call, we had the momentum and there was plenty of time left (7minutes) If we didn't convert, the 49ers were in the 3 yard line.

What i didn't like was the 56yrd try for Meyers. I was so pissed that they actually went for that.

misfit

Reaction score
So now we're mad that pete got aggressive? :D

The shovel pass by the way was a great play call just terrible execution. Everett just had probably the worst game of his career. I was nervous on the 4th down but it was successful, don't know what all the hand wringing is about

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
misfit":3k1l50aq said:
So now we're mad that pete got aggressive? :D

The shovel pass by the way was a great play call just terrible execution. Everett just had probably the worst game of his career. I was nervous on the 4th down but it was successful, don't know what all the hand wringing is about

Not mad, but just because we converted doesn't mean it was the right call.

If we were 8-3 instead of 3-8, Pete kicks the FG, 100% of the time.

So yeah, glad Pete finally took some risks when we're out of it. I guess that's cool? But doesn't make the call the right thing to do. You kick the FG and go up two scores.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
The same people complaining bitch about him being too conservative. He was trying to win the game and run clock. What do we have to lose? Of course you go for it and try to win the game.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The Fourth and 1 was a short 1. Almost sneakable. Making it almost guarantees a win. Only a turnover screws up the win probabilities. Kicking a FG leaves a 10 point deficit with plenty of time for 3 possessions so the opponents can comeback.

It was a fine call at that point. Just undone by the Everett fumble. We don’t fumble and kick a FG with 3 min left, there is no time for 3 possessions.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I've spent some time debating this call with a number of friends of mine. Several argue that it was designed to give our players an emotional lift, that it shows confidence in his players, blah blah blah.

But on the flip side, if you're a defensive player, what Pete's telling you is that he doesn't think you can defend a 10 point lead with 6 minutes left, that we need 14 points in order to save your sorry asses. In addition, if you don't make it and players reflect later that it was a bad decision, it could have the opposite effect, that they would question your judgement.

The smart play was to kick the FG and make it a two score game. The only difference a touchdown would have made would have been that the Niners would have had to score two touchdowns instead of a TD and FG, and that's not a big enough advantage to outweigh the risk of getting stuffed and leaving them with 6 minutes to get a game tying or game winning touchdown, especially when you consider our worst in the league 3rd down conversion percentage, our missed 2 point conversion from a week ago, that our best run blocking lineman and top RB were out, that our quarterback was not Lamar Jackson or Cam Newton, and so on.

The coaches' job is to put his team into the best position to win the game, and Pete didn't do that.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I think what the poster was talking about was we went for the 4th down with Homer a few plays earlier. I in retrospect kicking the FG would have been the best option. But we converted the 4th so going for it -wasn't really a factor. Everett was horrific yesterday.

nanomoz

Reaction score
That's why you take the field goal. Pete's in-game coaching related to clock management has always been a horror show.

RiverDog

Reaction score
jlwaters1":10grkgag said:
I think what the poster was talking about was we went for the 4th down with Homer a few plays earlier. I in retrospect kicking the FG would have been the best option. But we converted the 4th so going for it -wasn't really a factor. Everett was horrific yesterday.

I'm not sure which post/poster you're referring to, but the decision I was referring to is when he went for it in 4th down and made it only to subsequently turn the ball over later in the series. Pete should have kicked the FG and taken the points to make it a two score game when he had the chance.

The fact that he converted on the 4th down play is irrelevant. He still didn't score a TD, which was the object of going for it on 4th down. He still gave the ball back to the Niners with plenty of time on the clock and a chance to tie or win the game with a TD, which was the same consequence of not converting on 4th down.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I still don't mind it -

Separate from whether to go for it or not, it was just the wrong called play -

Of course if it had worked - he's a genius ;)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rj98f73 said:
It was yet another incorrect Pete "feel" call.

Five minutes left, you kick the FG and go up two scores. So Pete can thump his chest all he wants and say "I knew we were going convert," but it was the wrong call..............and not just because Everett fumbled.

Two scores is two scores with 4-5 minutes left, the analytics say it's not a great enough point differential percentage between 10 and 14 pts with that much time left.

Don't get me wrong, I like this side of Pete. We won the game because he took risks. But it was the wrong call. You kick the FG.

Your timing is a little off here. There was almost 7 minutes left when they failed to convert the third down and went for it on 4th down. I believe the clock was around 6:45. When they finally gave the ball up via fumble there was just about 4 minutes left. That 4th and 1 play effectively removed an entire set of downs from the Niners and if we hadn't fumbled there we would have most likely got the 3 points.

With that said, I probably would have taken the points, but as a fan, I enjoyed the thrill of going for it there. And honestly, going for it there may have helped us win in the end. It's arguable whether cutting the clock from just under 7 minutes down to 4 minutes is statistically better than the field goal try, but they both had their pros.

AgentDib

Reaction score
RiverDog":shaspy13 said:
But on the flip side, if you're a defensive player, what Pete's telling you is that he doesn't think you can defend a 10 point lead with 6 minutes left, that we need 14 points in order to save your sorry asses.
I do think that one reason why Pete often takes the more conservative route is to instill confidence in the defense that he trusts them. The context matters here though, and while our defense has been steadily improving the offense has been a dumpster fire amidst serious controversy. To whatever degree Pete can give out motivational boosts I have no doubt that he felt that offense was significantly more in need of one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":tpjgeoom said:
Sgt. Largent":tpjgeoom said:

Five minutes left, you kick the FG and go up two scores. So Pete can thump his chest all he wants and say "I knew we were going convert," but it was the wrong call..............and not just because Everett fumbled.

Two scores is two scores with 4-5 minutes left, the analytics say it's not a great enough point differential percentage between 10 and 14 pts with that much time left.

Your timing is a little off here. There was almost 7 minutes left when they failed to convert the third down and went for it on 4th down. I believe the clock was around 6:45. When they finally gave the ball up via fumble there was just about 4 minutes left. That 4th and 1 play effectively removed an entire set of downs from the Niners and if we hadn't fumbled there we would have most likely got the 3 points.

With that said, I probably would have taken the points, but as a fan, I enjoyed the thrill of going for it there. And honestly, going for it there may have helped us win in the end. It's arguable whether cutting the clock from just under 7 minutes down to 4 minutes is statistically better than the field goal try, but they both had their pros.

You're right, I doublechecked the boxscore and it was 6:42 when the 4th down conversion was made.

But that doesn't change a whole lot as far as the analytics of the difference between going up by 10 or 14 with that much time left.

I get it, we're 3-8, no reason not to take risks. But if the Niners march down the field 97 yards and score at the end with 12 seconds left and win in OT? This forum is ripping Pete limb from limb for being stupid and not taking the points.

Pete should be applauded for taking more risks yesterday, but not for that series. That was just dumb.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":39hvd41y said:
But on the flip side, if you're a defensive player, what Pete's telling you is that he doesn't think you can defend a 10 point lead with 6 minutes left, that we need 14 points in order to save your sorry asses.

AgentDib":39hvd41y said:
I do think that one reason why Pete often takes the more conservative route is to instill confidence in the defense that he trusts them. The context matters here though, and while our defense has been steadily improving the offense has been a dumpster fire amidst serious controversy. To whatever degree Pete can give out motivational boosts I have no doubt that he felt that offense was significantly more in need of one.

IMO the game situation, a one score lead with less than 7 minutes to go with a 95%+ chance of making it a 2 score game, was not the place to be making psychologically driven decisions. Our best chance to win that game would have been to take the gimme and make them score twice.

There are other points in the game where he could apply is psychological approach to building up egos. This one demanded a more cold hearted calculation.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":uc38uwnt said:
kidhawk":uc38uwnt said:
Sgt. Largent":uc38uwnt said:

You're right, I doublechecked the boxscore and it was 6:42 when the 4th down conversion was made.

But that doesn't change a whole lot as far as the analytics of the difference between going up by 10 or 14 with that much time left.

I get it, we're 3-8, no reason not to take risks. But if the Niners march down the field 97 yards and score at the end with 12 seconds left and win in OT? This forum is ripping Pete limb from limb for being stupid and not taking the points.

Pete should be applauded for taking more risks yesterday, but not for that series. That was just dumb.

At 8-3 you take the field goal. At 3-8 you go for it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2cor0g0m said:
kidhawk":2cor0g0m said:
Sgt. Largent":2cor0g0m said:

Again there's the timing thing there. If they march down the field, that 2:45 would still be on the clock and we'd have a 2 minute drill to win the game without going to overtime. As I said, I wouldn't have gone for it there myself, but eating that time on the clock is a positive in that situation.

Fade

Reaction score
Due to how short the 4th down was (it was inches). It was the right call. They then proceeded with 2 give up runs with Peterson which was also the right call. It was all about draining clock. It was working. If Peterson gets in for a TD it's a win, but also not getting in was still a win as the clock keeps ticking.

The 3rd down shovel to Everett was also the right call. Everett just has to not fumble. They then would've bleeded another 40 seconds off of the clock and kicked the chippy FG to go up 10.

The only critique about that sequence I didn't like would've been try that same shovel play with a different TE or RB as Everett had already turned the ball over twice before and it just wasn't his day.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Fade":2a5oo7vq said:
Due to how short the 4th down was (it was inches). It was the right call. They then proceeded with 2 give up runs with Peterson which was also the right call. It was all about draining clock. It was working. If Peterson gets in for a TD it's a win, but also not getting in was still a win as the clock keeps ticking.

The 3rd down shovel to Everett was also the right call. Everett just has to not fumble. They then would've bleeded another 40 seconds off of the clock and kicked the chippy FG to go up 10.

The only critique about that sequence I didn't like would've been try that same shovel play with a different TE or RB as Everett had already turned the ball over twice before and it just wasn't his day.

If they lost that game it may have cemented the end Pete.

RiverDog

Reaction score
seabowl":2blsgwux said:
If they lost that game it may have cemented the end Pete.

I disagree. I don't think that game had any effect whatsoever on Pete's fate. IMO if Jody is going to fire him, she'll fire him if he's 7-9 and misses the playoffs or if she's going to stick with him, she'll keep him even if he's 4-13. The actual record is irrelevant. It all depends on what she thinks he can do for us in the future, or at least that's how she should be looking at the dilemma.