Why The Broncos Opted For The FG

RiverDog

Reaction score
RCW had a play, at the line, with plenty of time on the play clock and game clock, and multiple timeouts. He didn't run that play or audible or call timeout for near 30 secs.
Maybe:
He didn't like the D
He realized he was telegraphing plays with his handsignals/audibles
He didn't trust the play and really wanted to create an offsides
He was distracted from crowd noise, weight of the moment...
He had some sort of unknown injury
He was more fearful of sole responsibility of a loss than shared responsibility.

In the end, though, he left the field purposefully having consciously decided to forego the called play. This indicates, without question, RCW believed the game was more likely won with a kick than with him behind center. Regardless of Hackett's role, there's no scenario where he wants to win the game himself, and he still decides not to run that play and determinately leaves the field.
It was like that the entire game. The Broncos, whether it be Wilson, Hackett, the OC, or who ever, were out of sync all night. They got called for two delay of game penalties on the same drive. One of their goal line fumbles can be attributed at least in part to their race to beat the play clock. Their clock management was horrible.

This lay squarely on Hackett's shoulders. He's a former OC himself, so the flow of play calling and relaying information to the QB should come second nature to him. Part of this can be attributed to the fact that, unlike our starting QB, Russell didn't play a single snap during the preseason.

Denver and Hackett were simply unprepared. They had the better talent, as witnessed by their 130+ yard advantage in total offense, but they kept shooting themselves in the foot with their nearly unprecedented goal line fumbles, their penalties, and their horrible clock management/organization.

toffee

Reaction score
Hackett is between a rock and a hard place, he called for FG, and was endorsed by his QB. Now with Russ saying he supported Hackett's decision as if he wasn't part of it, meantime, team 3 and boys are killin' him in public opinion, so Russ again looked like the victim of his HC.

Team 3 strategists need to get more creative, this is getting old.

chrispy

Reaction score
I'm not sure, at least in my mind, it's reasonable to lay all the delay-of-game penalties on Hackett. Possibly, he was late getting plays in and that delayed everything. Possibly, the plays were in very quickly, but the team stayed in the huddle longer than they'd practiced. I think, personally, there were a lot of plays where they were lined up while RCW was trying to read the D. Since RCW took delay-of-game penalties in Seattle very frequently, I tend to think it was a problem that followed him, not as much Hackett. ...just my opinion...

I watched the game again this morning. Does anyone think it's possible that RCW was concussed on the last play of the 2nd to last series when he got hit by Shelby Harris? I'm not saying one way or the other. I just don't know. I'm not an expert and can't even find a replay that shows that area of the field. I just know he got hit. The next series (the final one), he threw several short passes where the receiver/RB was very open in Seattle's soft/prevent D. I don't know if a concussed QB would be throwing much at all.... If there's a possibility that RCW was concussed (he has a history of denying it) and the head coach had an inkling, that would completely explain the entire sequence.

Just a thought....

BASF

Reaction score
I'm not sure, at least in my mind, it's reasonable to lay all the delay-of-game penalties on Hackett. Possibly, he was late getting plays in and that delayed everything. Possibly, the plays were in very quickly, but the team stayed in the huddle longer than they'd practiced. I think, personally, there were a lot of plays where they were lined up while RCW was trying to read the D. Since RCW took delay-of-game penalties in Seattle very frequently, I tend to think it was a problem that followed him, not as much Hackett. ...just my opinion...

I watched the game again this morning. Does anyone think it's possible that RCW was concussed on the last play of the 2nd to last series when he got hit by Shelby Harris? I'm not saying one way or the other. I just don't know. I'm not an expert and can't even find a replay that shows that area of the field. I just know he got hit. The next series (the final one), he threw several short passes where the receiver/RB was very open in Seattle's soft/prevent D. I don't know if a concussed QB would be throwing much at all.... If there's a possibility that RCW was concussed (he has a history of denying it) and the head coach had an inkling, that would completely explain the entire sequence.

Just a thought....
Watching the videos of him on the sideline leading up to the kick, he did kind of have a vacant look as though he wasn't completely in control of his faculties.

toffee

Reaction score
Watching the videos of him on the sideline leading up to the kick, he did kind of have a vacant look as though he wasn't completely in control of his faculties.
I noticed that too, kind of spaced out. At the time, I thought it was part of the game face or just trying to cover up something. I was very surprised by not talking to Hackett, TWO timeouts no conversation, the HC being partners and all.

RiverDog

Reaction score

Just a thought....
If it was just one or two occasions or if the delay of game penalties were the only organizational issue, I would be more sympathetic towards Hackett. But they were A LOT of times where they had to rush to get to the LOS with very little time for Russell and the center to make their reads/calls. In addition, their clock management was bad, which is a task the HC is responsible for as he's the only one the refs will recognize for timeouts and the only one with a challenge flag, and the decision at the end to attempt the FG, was also all Hackett's. When you add all of that up, it has to lead back to the HC.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Hackett is between a rock and a hard place, he called for FG, and was endorsed by his QB. Now with Russ saying he supported Hackett's decision as if he wasn't part of it, meantime, team 3 and boys are killin' him in public opinion, so Russ again looked like the victim of his HC.

Team 3 strategists need to get more creative, this is getting old.
Russell may support Hackett's decision to kick the FG in public like the good little soldier he wants everyone to think that he is, but you can bet your bottom dollar that deep down inside, he's burning up about it.

toffee

Reaction score
Russell may support Hackett's decision to kick the FG in public like the good little soldier he wants everyone to think that he is, but you can bet your bottom dollar that deep down inside, he's burning up about it.
Hackett is the laughing stock, village idiot all rolled into one. Super stressful for a first time head coach. Having to dealt with Russ's media army or team 3 (?) Is the last thing he needs

toffee

Reaction score
If most kickers could make 64-yd FGs more than 70% of the time, you almost don't even need a QB.
Nailed it, so the question should be:

Did Hackett lost his mind? May be he did, BUT, he had two chances to change path in two timeouts but didn't, didn't even talk to his QB. Similarly, his QB didn't converse with him at all, followed with stood away from him. IF ever that was a time Hackett needed support from his franchise QB, that was the moment. This was the strangest thing, but one thing for sure, Russ came out way better than Hackett.

True to his professional career, he was again the victim of another head coach miscalculations, the more memorial one before this was the '14 super bowl, right? One can write a book on how many times poor Russ was the victim of his coaches' incompetence.

Instead of Mr. Unlimited, perhaps Mr. Victim?

Last edited:

Palmegranite

Reaction score
It was like that the entire game. The Broncos, whether it be Wilson, Hackett, the OC, or who ever, were out of sync all night. They got called for two delay of game penalties on the same drive. One of their goal line fumbles can be attributed at least in part to their race to beat the play clock. Their clock management was horrible.
The eye test tells me this was mostly on Russ W. They're lined up for the snap, then he starts frantically hand signalling, trying to communicate with the line... then with 1.5 seconds, it's all clap-clap-clap, with zero clock remaining to snaps. Like it's the center that's causing the delay. SMH....

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I don't agree. Every quarterback dreams about being in a situation like that, to go out and win a game in the waning moments by either scoring a TD or putting their team into very makable FG range.
You're talking like Russell Wilson is the same NFL QB he used to be. The problem is that he is now also the CEO and head of marketing at Russell Wilson Inc. And THAT version of Russell Wilson doesn't want the stink of a failed 4th down conversion attempt on his new image.

Wilson the QB choked. He wasted the entire play clock before calling timeout, and his offense looked confused. Wilson didn't lobby for the opportunity to make that play like he did, for example, in the 2013 NFCCG against the Niners. Then, he wanted the ball, and claimed he could draw them offsides. That Russ wanted the opportunity. That Russ played balls-out. And that Russ converted that opportunity into a score that became the game winner.

This Russ did no such thing. This Russ supposedly wanted to go to a team that wouldn't hold him back. This Russ supposedly wanted to cook. But this Russ was happy to have the coach give the responsibility for potentially losing the game to someone else.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
In the end, though, he left the field purposefully having consciously decided to forego the called play. This indicates, without question, RCW believed the game was more likely won with a kick than with him behind center. Regardless of Hackett's role, there's no scenario where he wants to win the game himself, and he still decides not to run that play and determinately leaves the field.
I don't know that it indicates RCW believed the game would be more likely won with a kick. But it certainly indicates that RCW believed the chance of failing was more than he wanted to deal with.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
My honest belief as to why the coach chose to go for a 64 yard FG instead of trusting Russ to go for it on 4th and 5 is because of the pressure involved with his contract and the expectations. He didn't want to put Russ in a situation to win the game only to falter. That would have been potentially damaging to the way his teammates and fans perceive him. "Did we blow $250 million on someone who can't win a game for us?"

I do think it was a psychological decision. Had he thrown an incompletion or pick, the fallout could have been massive.
I think this definitely could have played in to the decision.

That said, man, can you imagine being the coach who takes the ball out of Russell Wilson's hands in that game situation? I thought it was insane, given how frequently he delivers under pressure. Really, really weird call.

You let him win it or lose it, but either way, you let him be the one to do it. That contract demands as much.

It's always going to be a circus for Russ. Denver coach needs to accept it.

toffee

Reaction score
Has anyone checked on how John63 has been defending Russ on the FG? would appreciate a link to his rebuttals, always appreciate John63's insight.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
That's Zombie Russell. He shows up when Russell is pouting

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I think this definitely could have played in to the decision.

That said, man, can you imagine being the coach who takes the ball out of Russell Wilson's hands in that game situation? I thought it was insane, given how frequently he USED TO deliver under pressure. Really, really weird call.

You let him win it or lose it, but either way, you let him be the one to do it. That contract demands as much.

It's always going to be a circus for Russ. Denver coach needs to accept it.
fixed that for you

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Has anyone checked on how John63 has been defending Russ on the FG? would appreciate a link to his rebuttals, always appreciate John63's insight.
He's too busy on the Broncos board telling everyone not to worry. "Look at Russell's stats, we'll be fine guys. Don't panic"

JPatera76

Reaction score
The eye test tells me this was mostly on Russ W. They're lined up for the snap, then he starts frantically hand signalling, trying to communicate with the line... then with 1.5 seconds, it's all clap-clap-clap, with zero clock remaining to snaps. Like it's the center that's causing the delay. SMH....
which we saw A LOT of, for YEARS while Russ was with us, which led to the same questions and debates in this thread of was it Wilson or Hackett... my arm chair gm opinion is.. I feel its Russ... Russ leaves and now I'm seeing Denver having the same clock mgmt. issues we were seeing here. Russell leaves and we're playing against him and I'm not seeing Geno and Co take it down to 5 secs with stomping and clapping for the snap because they ran it down too far. He was snapping the ball with plenty of time left. Meanwhile on Denvers side.. im seeing the clock issues and everything.