With $13 mil. in cap space, where do they spend it? 2 picks

With $13 mil. in cap space, where do they spend it?

• OL

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • DL

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • LB

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • DB

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • other?

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
I think a run at KJ may be in the cards but I also think their DL is not very strong.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2y0pphwy said:
Brown w/out a doubt.

I get it but there is something that tells me they may not budge here. If they do they will be setting themselves up to redo others in the future before the contract expires. I think they may take a stance and hold tight.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3v0fgyji said:
Brown w/out a doubt.

That would open up even more cap if they extended Brown and deferred some guaranteed money to 2022 and/or 2023.

I think the Hawks are going to sign a vet LB and vet WR before the season starts after cuts go down.

Probably the two thinnest position groups right now.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I am not content with our DT depth at the moment. The reason I am more concerned about DT depth is at LB I feel we have Safety depth and could replace WLB with Adams, Blair, or possible Neal in so many situations.

Mone, Woods, others just don't do it for me.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
With Tre Flowers, I am going CB all the way.

keasley45

Reaction score
Wenhawk":vaydq7dn said:
I am not content with our DT depth at the moment. The reason I am more concerned about DT depth is at LB I feel we have Safety depth and could replace WLB with Adams, Blair, or possible Neal in so many situations.

This. Without beef and talent on the interior, all of your LB and DB talent is negated to a degree.

Is Atkins still around?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
keasley45":21o95vjm said:
Wenhawk":21o95vjm said:

This. Without beef and talent on the interior, all of your LB and DB talent is negated to a degree.

Is Atkins still around?

I think John and Pete were shocked that Reed accepted a lesser offer just out of spite, thus the band aid signing of Woods.

But you have to remember that guys like Collier, Green and Nkemdiche if he makes the team can play inside and outside. So that strengthens the rotation at tackle, these guys can drop inside and play well.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Wenhawk":31jax0oh said:

DT depth is fine since Collier and Green can shift inside to 3T on passing downs. Poona, Mone and Woods + Collier and Green are more than enough depth. Quality is a separate issue. And you aren't going to find a lot of healthy quality at this point.

My vote is Cornerback. i think that is by far and away our weakest position and if we can sign someone better than Flowers or Witherspoon I'd be much happier.

John63

Reaction score
seabowl":gu9y7785 said:
SoulfishHawk":gu9y7785 said:
Brown w/out a doubt.

I get it but there is something that tells me they may not budge here. If they do they will be setting themselves up to redo others in the future before the contract expires. I think they may take a stance and hold tight.

Problem, is if he does not play our offense will suffer big time And we all saw the hit our backup QB took, how many of those could Wilson take before he is out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":2eju85w1 said:
seabowl":2eju85w1 said:
SoulfishHawk":2eju85w1 said:
Brown w/out a doubt.

Problem, is if he does not play our offense will suffer big time And we all saw the hit our backup QB took, how many of those could Wilson take before he is out.

Brown has no leverage unless both Jones and Ogbuehi are hurt going into game one.

So either he'll play out his contract and hope he stays healthy and plays well and the Hawks give him an extension in December or January, or he continues the hold out and misses game checks. Which at this point in his career is very risky.

Ask Kam how well that goes. Doesn't matter if players, agents or fans disagree, one thing for sure Pete and John are VERY transparent with these things. They will flat out tell players what they're going to do.

My guess is what they've told Brown is play this year and if you play well we'll give you the extension. But we're not risking guaranteeing 8-10M for two more years on a 36 year old LT.

flv

Reaction score
Teams use roster bonuses to manipulate cap hits. The cap hit is delayed until other dates in the future. The team doesn't gain any extra cap. It's like taking out an interest free overdraft to alleviate current cash-flow issues, (in an NFL case meaning borrowing cap space). The current extra cap is from future years cap and it will have to be accounted for later, (repaid). Teams are not obligated to rush out and spend this extra current cap. It will carry over if it isn't used this year. If there's a team need or a better player becomes available at a bargain price then sign him. If not don't use it. Injured players will need to be replaced during the season so some of it will be needed for that.

sutz

Reaction score
Do nothing at this time. I'd love an extension for Brown, but doesn't sound like the FO is on board with that.

Next week, when the final cuts go down, keep an eye out for talent, but it is late in the game for any significant signings popping up.

After all, we'll probably want $5-6 mill minimum going into the season for emergencies, so $13 mill isn't that much.

IIRC, most or all of that $13 mill could roll over into next year, in case the cap situation isn't as rosy as some are hoping. We're still not out of the covid window and revenues could still be down a bit.

massari

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1zy07wc8 said:
DT depth is fine since Collier and Green can shift inside to 3T on passing downs.
Cuz Collier and Green are proven studs....

Hopefully something like this unless better talent becomes available:

LB KJ ($2.5M)
LB/leo Irvin ($1.5M)
DT Atkins/Casey/Short ($2M)
C Reiter ($2.5M)

CB is one of the bigger needs, but Sherman is probably at Betty Ford, and Dunbar just got released after signing a near vet minimum deal.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Mad Dog":pzmnbh0l said:
Wenhawk":pzmnbh0l said:

DT depth is fine since Collier and Green can shift inside to 3T on passing downs. Poona, Mone and Woods + Collier and Green are more than enough depth. Quality is a separate issue. And you aren't going to find a lot of healthy quality at this point.

My vote is Cornerback. i think that is by far and away our weakest position and if we can sign someone better than Flowers or Witherspoon I'd be much happier.

Hyder and Nkemdiche too

keasley45

Reaction score
D Brown
G Atkins
KJ

In that order

They'll find a way to make it fit. How much do they save by cutting / trading Penny?

Teahawks

Reaction score
I'm almost offended they think Kyle Fuller and Ethan Pocic are answers at center. Pocic had one healthy season which be played ok. Now he's hurt. There were two centers available in Round 2 of the draft. You passed there and still didn't sign a free agent. Fuller was awful against Raiders backups.

Sign a veteran center ASAP. Doesn't matter who. Get them some snaps.

Latest posts