World Cup 2014

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":to6jkfpd said:
Who was it that told me I was crazy for thinking Mexico would make it out of group stage? And Costa Rica should make it also.

I said they'd lose to Brazil... Took one of the best performances of a keeper in decades to ensure it they didn't. Hell of a game

Happy? (And you didn't say they'd make it out..you whined about them winning and for some reason its negative impact on the US)

They're aren't out yet (Croatia is pretty good) but I'm rooting for them

Why are you so down on them?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":rs2tsysj said:
MizzouHawkGal":rs2tsysj said:
Who was it that told me I was crazy for thinking Mexico would make it out of group stage? And Costa Rica should make it also.

I said they'd lose to Brazil... Took one of the best performances of a keeper in decades to ensure it they didn't. Hell of a game

Happy? (And you didn't say they'd make it out..you whined about them winning and for some reason its negative impact on the US)

I'm not down on them I believe CONCACAF is strong this cycle and I'm pissed we're in a ridiculously hard Group while the others aren't. It's way past time they use actual seedlings like the NCAA basketball tournament. We have 2/4/13 in ONE group? That's just stupid. And the winning wasn't against Brazil. I never said they'd win the group ever just that it's a weak group.

Nog

Reaction score
Congrats to the US for making it btw !!!! I was really surprised to see how soccer is growing here in Seattle. But sorry guys, I was rooting for Ghana. Overall, I root for African teams because most of their players play in France...

Nog

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3jx19tta said:
That was the best 0-0 draw I've ever seen. Lots of counter-attacking going on there. Brazil was really good at forcing a turnover or blocking a free kick and turning it into an offensive counter at the other end. Those were some awesome saves by Mexico's keeper.
True that. At the same time, I have to say that's probably the weakest Brazilian team I've ever seen. Brasilia used to offer the best technician in the world, and now I only see butchers on the field (exception 2 or 3 players).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3auz2yp2 said:
Uncle Si":3auz2yp2 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3auz2yp2 said:

I'm not down on them I believe CONCACAF is strong this cycle and I'm pissed we're in a ridiculously hard Group while the others aren't. It's way past time they use actual seedlings like the NCAA basketball tournament. We have 2/4/13 in ONE group? That's just stupid. And the winning wasn't against Brazil. I never said they'd win the group ever just that it's a weak group.

Its just a random (relatively at least) draw. In 2010 we had a fairly light group.

Despite how tough our group is I do like that we get to play Ronaldo and zee Germanz

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Re: the merits of a seeded v random draw -

I think I prefer it this way. It creates more interest in both the group stage and the 1st knockout round as a) everyone loves to see a 'power' sent packing in embarrassment and b) it generates excitement having a 'lesser' team unexpectedly make it through to the next round, with the prospect of knocking out one of the favourites. And if you think are good enough to win the world cup then you shouldn't object to the idea of having one extra tough group game. It also doesn't always work out as it seems it will anyway: the Germany v Portugal game was an unexpected cakewalk for Germany, likewise Holland v Spain; Brazil have looked deficient in several areas.

Grantland made a seeded draw recently which looked, to me, less interesting:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/group ... t-seeding/

It is also worth noting that the draw itself is an big FIFA TV event, a la the NFL draft, so it's not worth getting your hopes up any time soon.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":27ubaqpm said:

I think I prefer it this way. It creates more interest in both the group stage and the 1st knockout round as a) everyone loves to see a 'power' sent packing in embarrassment and b) it generates excitement having a 'lesser' team unexpectedly make it through to the next round, with the prospect of knocking out one of the favourites. And if you think are good enough to win the world cup then you shouldn't object to the idea of having one extra tough group game. It also doesn't always work out as it seems it will anyway: the Germany v Portugal game was an unexpected cakewalk for Germany, likewise Holland v Spain; Brazil have looked deficient in several areas.

It is also worth noting that the draw itself is an big FIFA TV event, a la the NFL draft, so it's not worth getting your hopes up any time soon.

What have you thought of the tournamet so far Hawkspur? the World Cup isnt always the best soccer but these games (outside one dire contest) have been very entertaining in my opinion.

Watching Vertognen, Chadli and Dembele struggle with Belgium I was half ready to see Tim Sherwood excuse himself to the front row of the stands and join the fans.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3mmavewc said:
Hawkspur":3mmavewc said:

What have you thought of the tournamet so far Hawkspur? the World Cup isnt always the best soccer but these games (outside one dire contest) have been very entertaining in my opinion.

Watching Vertognen, Chadli and Dembele struggle with Belgium I was half ready to see Tim Sherwood excuse himself to the front row of the stands and join the fans.

Well obviously we'd all rather bring back the vuvuzelas at the expense of the myriad close ups of beautiful Brazilian women in the crowd, but asides from that it has been fun so far. Loved seeing Spain getting thrashed. Also enjoyed it that the 2 players most likely to screw their teams by getting sent off duly obliged (Palacios and Pepe). I enjoyed seeing France and Holland looking strong again, although I think this is Germany's Cup to lose. Brazil look like they have too many holes. Italy have Pirlo and Balotelli and little else. England have a solid young squad but lack a world class game changer and are still hindered by having Hodgson.

Everyone over here seems to hate Andy Townsend the most, but I'm truly detesting the fact that the BBC have inflicted Mark Lawrenson upon us again. The least they could do is find someone who actually enjoys football to add colour, rather than issessantly whinging (usually incorrectly, I might add) about the referees and cheating foreigners.

The Spurs players who were useless during the season have carried their form with them (Paulinho & The Belgies) which is disappointing. Vertonghen's penalty was reflective of the lazy defending we attempted to endure all season long.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Holy Tim Cahill!

We have a new "Goal of the Tournament"

Stunning, and seconds after conceding.

Agreed Spur on Hodgson (and the Brazilians who are kind enough to wear very little and yet attend every match) English isnt too fond of the squad itself, but I feel like England have the players, just not the invention from the touch line.

Silky Johnson

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2y2rpw40 said:
Holy Tim Cahill!

We have a new "Goal of the Tournament"

Stunning, and seconds after conceding.

Agreed Spur on Hodgson (and the Brazilians who are kind enough to wear very little and yet attend every match) English isnt too fond of the squad itself, but I feel like England have the players, just not the invention from the touch line.

I love volley shots. Way to answer the bell Aussie's!

https://vine.co/v/MTu50EVPXmd

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1e5n8puz said:
If the Aussies hang on to win, I will be SO upset that Cahill will miss the next match. Australia getting out of this group would be amazing.

Would be a huge kick in the nuts to the people who think there should be a seeded tournament. (Though they'd use it as an argument in their favor for seeding.) Looks like NED is going to take the three points here, however.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2g7gra1a said:
Smelly McUgly":2g7gra1a said:
If the Aussies hang on to win, I will be SO upset that Cahill will miss the next match. Australia getting out of this group would be amazing.

Would be a huge kick in the nuts to the people who think there should be a seeded tournament. (Though they'd use it as an argument in their favor for seeding.) Looks like NED is going to take the three points here, however.

i highly doubt any such conversation around seeding the entire field will ever take place. and even if you did seed 1-32, you're still going to have to come up with 8 groups of 4, and will run into similar issues with strong teams being drawn together, and 2-3 groups have 3 really good teams.

Just for giggles, here is what it would like seeded by FIFA rankings:

Group A
Spain, France, Costa Rica, Australia
Group B
Germany, Netherlands, Ecuador, S. Korea
Group C
Brazil, Chile, Ivory Coast, Cameroon
Group D
Portugal, USA, Algeria, Japan
Group E
Argentina, Greece, Bosnia, Nigeria
Group F
Swiss, Belgium, Mexico, Iran
Group G
Uruguay, England, Russia, Ghana
Group H
Colombia, Italy, Croatia, Honduras

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
France in 2002, it looks like. Brazil faltered in 1966. Scratch that. Italy 2010 was the last.