World Cup 2014

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3jm0hegi said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3jm0hegi said:
Ross Barkley is the most exciting thing to happen to English football since Michael Owen in 1998, and he's sat on the bench.

We need a young, visionary coach with some imagination and his finger on the pulse of tactical trends. And we need someone with the balls to make a tough decision.

Sterling? Have to admit he's a more intriguing player than Barkely at this juncture.

I'm a big Sterling fan. Have been since he was playing for our U-17's.

But Barkley is the best young player we've produced since Owen. We don't create players like this. Sterling -- we've had players like that. And I like him, but he is what he is. Barkley can be a generational focal point for England. And he isn't playing.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is something different...United States found a way to win!!!! Nice start! Ghana made it tough by turning up the attack in the second half but US showed some grit w/o Altidore.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Umm....Holy s#@$!!
John Anthony Brooks! 20 years old. What a great (timely) goal.

we can pull 3 with Pirtugal and ice our place in the knockouts. But the 4diamond2 won't work

Bummer about Altidore

TXHawk

Reaction score
Wow! Awesome win! Portugal is screwed by their -4 GD so a draw against them would probably be enough to get through.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
What a wild final 15 minutes. Great win for the US. If they can keep the confidence going and settle down in the midfield, they could be looking at an elimination birth.

The central defense looked great for the most part tonight, I thought Bedoya stood out for the defensive work he put in as well. Beckerman and Bradley played well in defense, but their distribution seemed very nervous and rushed.

Question for those who might be more informed than me - can the US call Donovan up if Altidore is done for the summer? I'm not saying he's cut and dry the best option to replace an injured Altidore, but I think it would be a viable option alongside some of the talent they have sitting and waiting (Agudelo, Gomez, Bunbury).

*Edited because I forgot Green was chosen to final 23*

McG

Reaction score
What a match. The team looked tight and nervous. Possession was non existent. Does it matter? Yes and no. We got the 3 points, but in order to win we must, as a team play better on the ball. Let's just hope the injured players come back healthy and that the team shows up with more confidence against Portugal and at least gets a draw, but I think we can and will get the win.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
I believe only players from the 30 man roster could be brought in should Altidore not be able to continue.

Solid game. Midfield was not great. Jones on the left is weak in attack, but he did enough.

Bradley had his worst USMNT in probably 3 years. He couldn't complete a pass. The diamond was supposed to make him the focal point, and it just didn't work.

Beckerman was great. He did his job perfectly. We are most dangerous when Fabian Johnson gets forward.

Great finish from Clint. He was ready for that moment, and snatched it.

Fitness was less than I had hoped...maybe they have been pushed too much....

Bedoya was an unsung hero.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Color me surprised we pulled it out. When all is said and done 3 points is 3 points.Sucks about Altidore though we need him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2zp7w79b said:
I believe only players from the 30 man roster could be brought in should Altidore not be able to continue.

Solid game. Midfield was not great. Jones on the left is weak in attack, but he did enough.

Bradley had his worst USMNT in probably 3 years. He couldn't complete a pass. The diamond was supposed to make him the focal point, and it just didn't work.

Beckerman was great. He did his job perfectly. We are most dangerous when Fabian Johnson gets forward.

Great finish from Clint. He was ready for that moment, and snatched it.

Fitness was less than I had hoped...maybe they have been pushed too much....

Bedoya was an unsung hero.

The diamond was a disaster. Looked better defensively when we changed into the 4411. Helped defend our width, stopped the crosses.

Bradleys decisions with the ball were not sharp. But I was also very disappointed with Dempsey. He had his moment, but he failed to chip in defensively and as the game wound down let Boateng complete 4 or 5 25+ yard balls to trigger their counters

I see them back in that formation vs Portugal. Would prefer more work from Dempsey off the ball

Still...amazing goal

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
fun fact. Dempsey broke his nose. Couldn't breathe though it as it was filled with blood. Coughed up blood multiple times.

Strong heart shown by the captain.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1a3xhygj said:
fun fact. Dempsey broke his nose. Couldn't breathe though it as it was filled with blood. Coughed up blood multiple times.

He had 5 touches of the ball in the last 30 minutes...

5., and had 0 tackles.

i appreciate him being out there (as we had no subs anyways), but Sounder or not he will need to be far more impactful against Portugal if we are going to advance. I dont want to sound harsh, but that was a tremendous win, but was the easiest of our group, and we were holding on. Dempsey and Bradley will have to carry us against Portugal.

If we play the 4411, which I hope we do, that will put Jones out on Ronaldo (unless they move him centrally). Dempsey will have to check down and ensure that Moutinho is not able to move the ball out to either Nani or CR7 as easy as Boateng was able to push it forward. Given the space Ghana found down our right side, I'd imagine Portugal look to do the same. Fortunately that's Nani's side. Stopping service to Ronaldo is paramount to winning. We can score on Portugal (I dont expect Bradley to play as poorly as he did yesterday).

This is the game I've always wanted for the US. Over the last 4 world cups we've never really been matched with a World Class player. We drew that strong Portugal side in 2002, but it was at the tail end of Figo's run. Brazil in 1994 maybe, but they didnt have Ronaldo or Ronaldinho. We've never played a Messi, Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo. To finally see our team up against one of the top 5 is going to be fun, and great for the fans here.

Take a point from Portugal and I think the US advance regardless of the game with Germany (given that Germany beat Ghana of course). Lose the game and the group is thrown back open.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":7nsukt8g said:
Uncle Si":7nsukt8g said:
theENGLISHseahawk":7nsukt8g said:
Ross Barkley is the most exciting thing to happen to English football since Michael Owen in 1998, and he's sat on the bench.

We need a young, visionary coach with some imagination and his finger on the pulse of tactical trends. And we need someone with the balls to make a tough decision.

Sterling? Have to admit he's a more intriguing player than Barkely at this juncture.

I'm a big Sterling fan. Have been since he was playing for our U-17's.

But Barkley is the best young player we've produced since Owen. We don't create players like this. Sterling -- we've had players like that. And I like him, but he is what he is. Barkley can be a generational focal point for England. And he isn't playing.

Barkley's amazing, one of those players as a Liverpool fan you cant believe went to Everton.

Out of curiosity (onlybecause I dont know, not out of challenge) what players like Sterling has England produced of late. He reminds me of a smaller John Barnes. He's a bit trickier and more central than a Welbeck.
Barkley-Sterling-Henderson-Shaw-Sturridge will be the focus of the English squad in 2018. Thats exciting. Mix in a healthy Ox Cham and Wilshere and you've got something there.

A kid to keep an eye on for 2018 is Jordan Ibe, Liverpool academy. He's built from the same mould as Sterling, but a bit bigger and faster. lacks alot of the finished product (as did Sterling until this year), but he's only 18.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":qf1kqm17 said:
Smurf":qf1kqm17 said:

5., and had 0 tackles.

i appreciate him being out there (as we had no subs anyways), but Sounder or not he will need to be far more impactful against Portugal if we are going to advance. I dont want to sound harsh, but that was a tremendous win, but was the easiest of our group, and we were holding on. Dempsey and Bradley will have to carry us against Portugal.

If we play the 4411, which I hope we do, that will put Jones out on Ronaldo (unless they move him centrally). Dempsey will have to check down and ensure that Moutinho is not able to move the ball out to either Nani or CR7 as easy as Boateng was able to push it forward. Given the space Ghana found down our right side, I'd imagine Portugal look to do the same. Fortunately that's Nani's side. Stopping service to Ronaldo is paramount to winning. We can score on Portugal (I dont expect Bradley to play as poorly as he did yesterday).

This is the game I've always wanted for the US. Over the last 4 world cups we've never really been matched with a World Class player. We drew that strong Portugal side in 2002, but it was at the tail end of Figo's run. Brazil in 1994 maybe, but they didnt have Ronaldo or Ronaldinho. We've never played a Messi, Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo. To finally see our team up against one of the top 5 is going to be fun, and great for the fans here.

Take a point from Portugal and I think the US advance regardless of the game with Germany (given that Germany beat Ghana of course). Lose the game and the group is thrown back open.

Wasn't trying to indicate he had a good game. Yes, sans goal he had a crap game. He and Bradley will have to be better vs Portugal.

I was just pointing out the extreme condition he was playing in, and the example he set for his teammates. There was a reason that Jurgen gave him the armband, and we all saw it right there.

Not being able to breathe through your nose, because its filled with blood, while playing soccer must be one of the most miserable feelings on the planet.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":6f698boa said:
Uncle Si":6f698boa said:
Smurf":6f698boa said:

5., and had 0 tackles.

Wasn't trying to indicate he had a good game. Yes, sans goal he had a crap game. He and Bradley will have to be better vs Portugal.

I was just pointing out the extreme condition he was playing in, and the example he set for his teammates. There was a reason that Jurgen gave him the armband, and we all saw it right there.

Not being able to breathe through your nose, because its filled with blood, while playing soccer must be one of the most miserable feelings on the planet.

no doubting the man's heart...

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1wbngpc7 said:
failry decent summary of our match last night, and the road ahead

http://screamer.deadspin.com/the-u-...-the-hard-work-begins-1591901674/+GregHoward1

Besides Jozy we will see at least one other change to the starting 11, if not two.

It somewhat depends on Besler and Bedoya's availability...but I could see Beasley finding his way to the bench and having Fabian Johnson switch flanks, in favor of Cameron, or Yedlin at RB. Yedlin's speed vs Ronaldo could be a big positive...but his inexperience a drawback. Just saying there are enough factors that could make Yedlin starting at RB make sense.

I think we could see Zusi start at RM.

We could see Dempsey play up top by himself, with 5 in behind him. Beckerman/Jones anchor with a take your pick mix of Bradley, Zusi, Bedoya, Davis, Green in front of him.

I don't think we line up the same, and i highly doubt we keep the diamond.

Silky Johnson

Reaction score
I was thinking that too yesterday. Dempsey on top makes alot of sense. Dempsey not being able to breath thru his nose in that humidity is hell on earth. On top he gets more recovery time and keeps him fresher so he only has to get after it on short bursts. Add in Dempseys size and physicality and I liken him to Altidore.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
This Mexico-Brazil game is absolutely NUTS. what a game. Both sides playing decent. High press football.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":bieu97ry said:
This Mexico-Brazil game is absolutely NUTS. what a game. Both sides playing decent. High press football.

Mexico showing themselves a better squad than Brazil at the moment. They can high press and have the energy to get back and defend in numbers (playing the same way the US did last night, but able to connect their passes in the transition). Theyve really pushed Brazil back here...

if only they could find the target...

Brazil back in the game now, weird that Brazil doesnt really have striker options.... Ochoa clearly the man of the match thus far.

Latest posts