Would you take 4 first rounds picks for Russ ?

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I'm totally amazed that this is a question. Hawks are here now. Win saturday and Seattle is on its way.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
3 Days…..tick....tick....tick...….
This is gonna' be a hell of a battle. Always is with the Clams.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":hhuzm6cm said:
3 Days…..tick....tick....tick...….
This is gonna' be a hell of a battle. Always is with the Clams.

I'm finding it tough to get through each day/nite until then.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2mvq31ih said:
Mad Dog":2mvq31ih said:
4 first rounders. More like 7 first rounders. And you’d have to spend them all on QBs before you hit on one. Teams like Miami have been trying since Marino left in the 90’s. SF has been trying to replace Young since 2000.

Look at the top seeds in the NFC. Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Brady. That should tell you everything about dumping a HOF quality QB.

When was the last time Rodgers, Brees, Wilson won (or even played in) a Super Bowl though?

And with Brady, he was never the highest paid player in New England.

The NFL knows this and has discussed altering the QB cap hit. But the last 10 years demonstrate a trend in regards to highly paid QBs over their rookie counterparts. It seems the sum of the talent is more important than just the signal caller.

I would bet that the Chiefs and Bills would be favorites in any Super Bowl against the Bucs, Saints, Packers, Seahawks.

Brady most certainly was the highest paid player on his team. Maybe not the highest paid player in the league. Eli was the highest paid player on his Giants SB teams. Rothlisberger was the highest paid player on his second SB winning team. Peyton Manning was the team's highest paid player in his 2 SB wins. Ditto Brees and his single SB win.

SB's have been won by teams with QB stars on rookie deals, QB journeymen and QB stars on second/third deals.

The concept that a QB on a rookie deal is the easy route to SB victory ignores all the highly drafted QB's that fail miserably in even getting their team to win. For every Mahomes and Wilson, there are dozens of Darnolds and Griffins.

The easiest route is still to hold onto a star QB and draft well around him and mesh him with a great coach. I think we'd have done better with Wilson if we'd hit on a few more drafts from 2013-2016.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'd have to consider it.

I just read somewhere that Russ is fat like an elephant & people are starting to talk about it.

John63

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3g7vba6n said:
I'd have to consider it.

I just read somewhere that Russ is fat like an elephant & people are starting to talk about it.

don't spread the blissful groups BS please

iigakusei

Reaction score
I would take two 1sts from Jacksonville. 2021 and 2022. Other than that no thanks.

Tmagopis

Reaction score
K.J WRIGHT":3hrbw35h said:
yes or no ?
Absolutely I would. Wilson can be replaced, especially with this offense with another serviceable quarterback. I believe we would still be 12-4 with a Tannehill or Fitzatrick as QB. Heck If we had Kaepernick I think wed still have roughly the same record. I just dont think our team functions well when Russ throws the rock 30+ times a game. Your typical drop back passer is not what Wilsons strength is, and its what Schottenhimer seems to insist on having his QB do. A true pocket passer, even if they are less talented overall I bet would yield the same result this year.

Im sure plenty will disagree, always hard to go against a popular player like russ and I like the guy. I just dont think he plays to the strengths of this team the way its set up. If we honestly had a taller QB, we could use our TE's and RB's more in the passing game which I think Schotty would love to do, but its hard for wilson just to see them sometimes. Wilson is best in space with boots, moving the pocket, and when things break down.

With 4 1st rd picks I think you could get a ton, honestly id trade russ to primarily to get rid of the salary. 35 million ~20% of the cap would be freed up PLUS those picks? Id take the trade.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I mean yeah if maybe if I’m the new whatever in a total in house cleaning rebuild, I’d be selling every valuable player over 27 years old for picks galore or for younger talent that perhaps need a change of scenery to grow into their potential types.

Russ has to get me No.1 overall or quite possibly those other picks are gonna get later and later as the years go on.

I know though I’m going all in for Fred Warner if he’s available. FUSFO.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
brimsalabim":l31m3miw said:
Pete and John would just turn those four into 25 7th round picks ....so No!
Haha

Imagine having the last 25 picks in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZagHawk

Reaction score
K.J WRIGHT":c4qh8cwt said:
yes or no ?

Yes - Because the amount of cheap amazing rookie talent you could get plus a game managing QB would be more than RW does on his own...not to mention freeing up RW's salary also brings you in more talent. How many times have we seen a team of super stars with a game managing QB make it to the SB (and sometimes win) in the last 10 years? Just about every team not named Chiefs/Patriots was that team. BTW RW was that QB in 2012-2013, he is not the same QB today as he was back then, but at the same time is he 10x better (which is what his salary is) the answer is no, but i understand why you need to re-sign franchise QBs. All this being said, no team is going to give you 4 first round picks for Russ (especially not with his salary). So this is a silly question.

John63

Reaction score
ZagHawk":gp7zi927 said:
K.J WRIGHT":gp7zi927 said:
yes or no ?

Yes - Because the amount of cheap amazing rookie talent you could get plus a game managing QB would be more than RW does on his own...not to mention freeing up RW's salary also brings you in more talent. How many times have we seen a team of super stars with a game managing QB make it to the SB (and sometimes win) in the last 10 years? Just about every team not named Chiefs/Patriots was that team. BTW RW was that QB in 2012-2013, he is not the same QB today as he was back then, but at the same time is he 10x better (which is what his salary is) the answer is no, but i understand why you need to re-sign franchise QBs. All this being said, no team is going to give you 4 first round picks for Russ (especially not with his salary). So this is a silly question.

so glad your not the GM. Since nearly everything you said is wrong.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
John63":jfaf370i said:
ZagHawk":jfaf370i said:
K.J WRIGHT":jfaf370i said:
yes or no ?

I love it when I put thoughts and try to find some backing into a post and then someone makes a lame ass attempt to invalidate anything with a single sentence with absolutely no backing on their end. At least when I got into it with LTH there was meaningful stuff on both ends to read and continue writing about. Your response is about the same as "quit drinking the kool aid bro"...nice one. Believe what you believe, that is fine, I will believe what I believe. The OP asked what people would do, I gave my honest opinion. Here's a fact for you, in the last like 5+ years no top paid QB has won a SB. Mahomes has a shot to break this stat, but until that happens, its still a FACT. You can google plenty of sources that proves that "https://www.cbs46.com/sports/qb-pay-doesnt-equate-to-super-bowls-in-nfl/article_23eb6d96-23c0-11e9-b8b6-435a2c657ad2.html" that's one for you as well. This is why I'm not alone on the train of thought perhaps the way to go is a game managing QB with talent around them.

p.s. It's *you're. If you're going to use your opinion in two sentences to invalidate everything I wrote with no backing whatsoever. You might as well try to get some of your grammar correct. Maybe that's the easiest way to get 3600+ posts in only 2 years as some kind of weird attempt to be a veteran on this board.

But you know what go ahead respond with what I know you're going to.."pshh whatever ..you know nothing about football, you don't give up a QB who gives you a chance to the SB making it into the playoffs every year". Whelp yeah he's been in the playoffs every year, how many SBs has he won, been to, or even NFCCG since getting paid? oh thats right ZERO. Thats another fact for you.

John63

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2qexeqif said:
John63":2qexeqif said:
ZagHawk":2qexeqif said:
K.J WRIGHT":2qexeqif said:
yes or no ?

I love it when I put thoughts and try to find some backing into a post and then someone makes a lame ass attempt to invalidate anything with a single sentence with absolutely no backing on their end. At least when I got into it with LTH there was meaningful stuff on both ends to read and continue writing about. Your response is about the same as "quit drinking the kool aid bro"...nice one. Believe what you believe, that is fine, I will believe what I believe. The OP asked what people would do, I gave my honest opinion. Here's a fact for you, in the last like 5+ years no top paid QB has won a SB. Mahomes has a shot to break this stat, but until that happens, its still a FACT. You can google plenty of sources that proves that "https://www.cbs46.com/sports/qb-pay-doesnt-equate-to-super-bowls-in-nfl/article_23eb6d96-23c0-11e9-b8b6-435a2c657ad2.html" that's one for you as well. This is why I'm not alone on the train of thought perhaps the way to go is a game managing QB with talent around them.

p.s. It's *you're. If you're going to use your opinion in two sentences to invalidate everything I wrote with no backing whatsoever. You might as well try to get some of your grammar correct. Maybe that's the easiest way to get 3600+ posts in only 2 years as some kind of weird attempt to be a veteran on this board.

But you know what go ahead respond with what I know you're going to.."pshh whatever ..you know nothing about football, you don't give up a QB who gives you a chance to the SB making it into the playoffs every year". Whelp yeah he's been in the playoffs every year, how many SBs has he won, been to, or even NFCCG since getting paid? oh thats right ZERO. Thats another fact for you.

I dont need to as this has been talked about on here many times. When it comes right down to it, the FACTS show you need a TOP Qb to be competitive. You get an outlier everyone in a while Dilfer being the most recent and even he did not keep them competitive year in and out he just caught lightning in a bottle for one year. But you need a top QB to be competitive year in and year out. it's the facts period. As the Giants proved several years ago as well as many others once your in anything can happen. But you need to get in, to do that you need to be competitive and to be competitive you need a top QB those are the facts.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3nx4uxib said:
John63":3nx4uxib said:
ZagHawk":3nx4uxib said:
K.J WRIGHT":3nx4uxib said:
yes or no ?

A great post ...It has good thoughts and facts :2thumbs:

Tokadub

Reaction score
In 4-5 years? That's a much more interesting discussion (even though it's very unrealistic if not impossible right?). It's yet to be seen how Russell will play if he slows down more.

Right now as far as I'm concerned our team would suck without Wilson, I would never even consider letting him go.

Lawke

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2lgbg1tk said:
K.J WRIGHT":2lgbg1tk said:
yes or no ?

Do you have the names and salaries of the last 10 years of game managing QBs to make it to the super bowl? I dont think thats the right way to go about it, unless you mean QBs on rookie deals, which i would then get but then also ask, do you feel confident in Pete and Johns ability to draft a QB based on the history of their QB acquisitions?

Now to me, i think youd have to factor in a few things, like if you plan on using one of those immediate firsts to draft a QB to try and take advantage of the cheap contract (unless you somehow believe they would hit on a mid-late round pick again which statistically throughout the history of the NFL has shown to be extremely unlikely) or if you would try and roll with an "average" QB paying him the going rate which looks to be 18-22m a year, about half the rate of russ' contract. Plus another thing youd have to factor in would be the team you trade him to. If its a team thats a QB away, then that would also mean your first rounders have a much higher chance of being lower draft picks as well, which would then go back to your confidence in P&J's history of drafting late first rounders.

All in all i think its a pretty tough decision either way, and it would be something that could also potentially affect other members of the team to see pete essentially trading away focus on immediate success for potential success in the future, a future they may or may not be a part of. Id think about it, because again 4 firsts is a hell of a lot of picks, but i still dont know how you pull the trigger there. Maybe if it was say jacksonville and russ wanted out.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Tmagopis":2aq5nho5 said:
K.J WRIGHT":2aq5nho5 said:
yes or no ?
Absolutely I would. Wilson can be replaced, especially with this offense with another serviceable quarterback. I believe we would still be 12-4 with a Tannehill or Fitzatrick as QB. Heck If we had Kaepernick I think wed still have roughly the same record. I just dont think our team functions well when Russ throws the rock 30+ times a game. Your typical drop back passer is not what Wilsons strength is, and its what Schottenhimer seems to insist on having his QB do. A true pocket passer, even if they are less talented overall I bet would yield the same result this year.

Im sure plenty will disagree, always hard to go against a popular player like russ and I like the guy. I just dont think he plays to the strengths of this team the way its set up. If we honestly had a taller QB, we could use our TE's and RB's more in the passing game which I think Schotty would love to do, but its hard for wilson just to see them sometimes. Wilson is best in space with boots, moving the pocket, and when things break down.

With 4 1st rd picks I think you could get a ton, honestly id trade russ to primarily to get rid of the salary. 35 million ~20% of the cap would be freed up PLUS those picks? Id take the trade.

A QB that has never missed a game. That has won even when the team is badly injured. Who has led the league in touchdown passes dating back to 2017. That has never had a losing season. That has worked with literally any receiver we’ve drafted. That has the 2nd most rushing yards on the team.

That QB, according to you is replaceable. And according to others, a game manager. Can’t make this stuff up. I’m not even angry :lol:

FPD

Reaction score
This...

pmedic920":28orfyk0 said:
Hell no.

Russ is a once in a generation type QB. He’s a good fit for the Seahawks.

It could be YEARS before an suitable or even serviceable replacement was found.

Well, and this...

seabowl":28orfyk0 said:
How quickly people forget the first 36 years.

This too...

Fade":28orfyk0 said:
Nope.

It took 36 years for the franchise to draft a HoF QB.

The Browns, and Dolphins collected a ton of picks. And they now are saddled to Baker Mayfield, and Tua. Very talented rosters, and coaching staffs, but they aren't winning anything in the next 5 years.

Look at Pete's choices at QB before Russ. Charlie Whitehurst and Matt Flynn. Hell no.

This team is not setup to groom and develop young QBs, either. It would be a disaster. With their Marty Ball offense, straight out of 1996. Even if they were given 10 first round picks. They would have a talented roster for sure, but I all but guarantee they would suck at QB. So they would be a 7-9 type of franchise. See the 2011 Seahawks. #2 Scoring Defense, Top 5 running game. Meh at QB.