Zach Miller

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Put aside the 2014 salary-cap paranoia for a moment. I'm not interested in going back to our offense as it was after Zach Miller got hurt. People don't realize how much it affects the offense, including the run game. Miller was back to delivering his brilliant pinpoint blocks and opening lanes for Lynch. He's mastered his role in the Cable blocking scheme. One of the reasons our run game looked so hot-and-cold the last two games? Bingo.

I don't give a rat's ass about whatever receptions-to-contract-size ratios people come up with to justify Miller's worth to the team. He's worth it. Not only is he well-established as a safety net for Wilson (who really just doesn't like a safety net unless it's scrambling), but without him, the entire offense just labors. At least ask about restructuring his contract, sure, but don't for a moment just cut him like an overgrown toenail and blithely assume Luke Willson can step up without a hitch. Miller is money.

JKent82

Reaction score
Hopefully we get some cap relief in some way from him, but he's pretty darn integral to our offense. Even if we bring in a stud rookie, it's not like the Hawks are gonna want to go into the season depending on a rook. Luke Willson doesn't really count as a replacement for Zach in my mind since he's more of a recieving TE.

Although looking at it, his cap hit next year is only 7 million, which isn't great, but it isn't the obscenely large 11 million it is this year.

davidonmi

Reaction score
My stance on him has always been he needs to be part of the future, other people have disagreed but he does so much for this offense

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Zach Miller is one of the most important pieces of this team and has been since he got here. He's a factor in every aspect of the offense.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Not only does he help the run game, but he's a redzone threat and another weapon on 3rd down. He opens up that short and intermediate stuff. A key part of the offense, for sure.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3e6prspm said:
Put aside the 2014 salary-cap paranoia for a moment. I'm not interested in going back to our offense as it was after Zach Miller got hurt. People don't realize how much it affects the offense, including the run game. Miller was back to delivering his brilliant pinpoint blocks and opening lanes for Lynch. He's mastered his role in the Cable blocking scheme. One of the reasons our run game looked so hot-and-cold the last two games? Bingo.

I don't give a rat's ass about whatever receptions-to-contract-size ratios people come up with to justify Miller's worth to the team. He's worth it. Not only is he well-established as a safety net for Wilson (who really just doesn't like a safety net unless it's scrambling), but without him, the entire offense just labors. At least ask about restructuring his contract, sure, but don't for a moment just cut him like an overgrown toenail and blithely assume Luke Willson can step up without a hitch. Miller is money.
I completely and utterly agree.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
His contract was front loaded and is down right affordable after this season, Sidney Rice on the other hand...

drdiags

Reaction score
Who knows when it comes to the cold hard facts with this FO? Miller has been a grown ass man since he has been here. He is the epitome of what I think of when I think about the role of a TE. Sure, there are race horses and extremely athletic receiving TEs in today's game, such as Graham and Davis. I like the fully functional TE that can block like a tackle and catch like a WR.

I just don't know what the FO's priority is when it comes to next year's roster construction. I would hate to see Miller gone and unless they strike gold with a TE, I doubt they will be replacing him anytime soon. Someone pointed out that his cap hit should drop after this season and that seems to be what I remember but I am not sure.

I concede your argument. I agree as well but I am not sure I know what the FO will do. And that is the rub and probably why you even see much discussion about what they will do in the future. Too bad there is a salary cap, life would be so much better. That and stupid roster restrictions. 53-men just seems like crap. But that is another post.

ErikG803

Reaction score
I definitely think Zach is the one guy who might make it through without taking a paycut. Sidney on the other hand...

MysterMatt

Reaction score
drdiags":2lyjfre4 said:
Who knows when it comes to the cold hard facts with this FO? Miller has been a grown ass man since he has been here. He is the epitome of what I think of when I think about the role of a TE. Sure, there are race horses and extremely athletic receiving TEs in today's game, such as Graham and Davis. I like the fully functional TE that can block like a tackle and catch like a WR.

I just don't know what the FO's priority is when it comes to next year's roster construction. I would hate to see Miller gone and unless they strike gold with a TE, I doubt they will be replacing him anytime soon. Someone pointed out that his cap hit should drop after this season and that seems to be what I remember but I am not sure.

I concede your argument. I agree as well but I am not sure I know what the FO will do. And that is the rub and probably why you even see much discussion about what they will do in the future. Too bad there is a salary cap, life would be so much better. That and stupid roster restrictions. 53-men just seems like crap. But that is another post.
I completely and utterly agree.

RiverHawk

Reaction score
The offense is on a different level with Zach Miller in the game, if you do not believe me recall the Atlanta playoff game last year.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Dear NFL,

Please raise the salary cap by approx. $8 mill this year.

Thanks,
12th man

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":117do63a said:
His contract was front loaded and is down right affordable after this season, Sidney Rice on the other hand...

Exactly this. We've already paid the bulk of Miller's contract. Look at the numbers:

Signed a five-year, $34 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus, all of Miller's 2011 and 2012 base salaries, and $4 million of his 2013 salary.

An annual $200,000 workout bonus is available in years three through five.

2013: $6.8 million (+ $3 million roster bonus due 3/22)
2014: $4.8 million (+ $1 million roster bonus)
2015: $2.8 million (+ $2 million roster bonus)
2016: Free Agent

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Even with our OLine issues, we were able to implement a more effective game plan due to this guy. The playsheet expands greatly with him in there, and it shows. I agree 100% with all of the above.

Largent80

Reaction score
Why do people worry about salaries THIS YEAR?

This is our run to a championship and everyone is signed and making the money from that signing for THIS YEAR.

This is not next year, at least the last time I checked.

Obviously Miller is a huge part of the offense as is Rice. It does not matter how much they are making.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Largent80":1vgyealw said:
Why do people worry about salaries THIS YEAR?

This is our run to a championship and everyone is signed and making the money from that signing for THIS YEAR.

This is not next year, at least the last time I checked.

Obviously Miller is a huge part of the offense as is Rice. It does not matter how much they are making.

I agree completely. It just ain't Buddhist.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
We just have to win it all this year or next. WIllson is impressing me as well. He is looking good some great blocks. One that popped Lynch open. If they want to resign him they will find a away. Contracts can be backloaded , but it's dangerous unless you give a lot of $$ as a signing bonus.