Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mediocre 3rd Round Picks

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Mediocre 3rd Round Picks
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:54 pm
  • Surely we could have traded 2,3 or even 4 of those 3rd Rd. picks to move up from #58 and get something better than Pocic.

If all 4 picks would have been traded, we wouldn't have suffered much, taking into account the mediocrities that we drafted.

It's entirely possible that all four of these guys will be cut.
    chet380
    NET Veteran

Re: Mediocre 3rd Round Picks
Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:09 pm
  • I'd say give it a bit before we rush to conclusions. Like till after the 2018 season, perhaps?
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:14 pm
  • Probably already our best defensive draft since 2010-12.

DT Malik McDowell
    DT Nazair Jones
    CB Shaquill Griffin
    SS Delano Hill
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:16 pm
  • Why wait when you have ALL the answers. Obviously chet knows more than Seattle's front office.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:19 pm
  • The way the FO has failed in the draft the last 3 or so years, i'll take Chets side.
    nash72
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:22 pm
  • Internet chet over our front office. WOW. Speaks volumes about your football IQ.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:44 pm
  • nash72 wrote:The way the FO has failed in the draft the last 3 or so years, i'll take Chets side.

Have we really failed?

Look back at the picks taken in the first 3 rounds, later rounds are crap shoots for every team.

2014 - Pretty bad draft overall across the NFL however we got
    - Paul Richardson was on his way to being a damn fine receiver until he busted out his knee
    - Justin Britt is an adequate offensive lineman at this point

- Frank Clark about to have a huge 2017 season
    - Lockett we all hope can return to form, but is an electric player at full strength

- Ifedi is a work in progress, did about as well as you can expect considering the inexperience of his teammates and the positional change
    - Jarrod Reed, also a bit early to rate him but was solid when he played
    - Prosise looked great when he was healthy
    - Vannett, hasn't shown anything yet
    - Odhiambo, meh, probably won't last long

I'd say in the past three years, of our top 3 rounds, we've done fine. Clark could be on his way to being an all-pro, and Lockett if he gets back to full strength can be a difference maker for us for years. Prosise too. We don't have any glaring busts other than Odhiambo and maybe Vannett.
    hieroglyphics
    NET Starter

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:44 pm
  • chet380 wrote:Surely we could have traded 2,3 or even 4 of those 3rd Rd. picks to move up from #58 and get something better than Pocic.

If all 4 picks would have been traded, we wouldn't have suffered much, taking into account the mediocrities that we drafted.

List the 4 players you wanted and I bet I see Kipers board. Some times I agree with the so called experts but only when there's a clear consensus. That's not the case here. Now the Center they drafted does look like a reach but other than that I like this draft so far.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:47 pm
  • chet380 wrote:It's entirely possible that all four of these guys will be cut.

I'll give you my $1000 to your $100 that they dont all get cut.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:54 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    chet380 wrote:It's entirely possible that all four of these guys will be cut.

I'll give you my $1000 to your $100 that they dont all get cut.

It's an asinine statement really but that's what happens on draft day I guess.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 pm
  • I'm fine with McDowell, extremely high upside and a need. Pocic sounds like a bad pick because they label him as a C, but hopefully starts day one at G so I'm fine with that. Griffin is a Seahawky kind of player, I would have rather had Tankeresly but Pete and John know more then me. Hill is a pick that I really didn't get, seems like he a guy that could have been there much later, once again would have rather had Tankeresly or Douglas but once again I wouldn't have ever seen Sherman or Chancellor as all pros. Jones seems like meh. Loved the Darboh pick, high upside with a great story. Overall I would give it a C+, you have to remember some of this guys wouldn't have even been drafted if not for trading down. In the end only time will tell, hopefully we can find some guys that can contribute right away.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 pm
  • chet380 wrote:Surely we could have traded 2,3 or even 4 of those 3rd Rd. picks to move up from #58 and get something better than Pocic.

It's also entirely possible that everyone will one day learn to judge draft picks using more criteria than "Is he an offensive lineman?", but that doesn't mean it's LIKELY.

I'd say three of those picks, at least, make the team.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:23 am
  • I can tell you why we took Pocic at # 58 this guy has a lot going for him because of his versatility. He can play any position on the line which tells me it's a Cable thing. I don't think he is going to unseat Britt, I'm guessing they will try him out in either guard spot. I really think the Hawks had Bolles from Utah as their guy but since he was drafted by the Broncos they went to plan b. Hell I was wanting Donta Foreman but he went just before our pick. Hopefully there's some gems in the rough to be found! Go Hawks! :49ersmall:
    Teamhawk1
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:04 am
  • Gross post, OP. How much of Pocic have you seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 am
  • I had to come out of retirement to tell the OP how clownish their whole post was.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 am
  • Throwdown wrote:I had to come out of retirement to tell the OP how clownish their whole post was.

:D
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:29 am
  • Throwdown wrote:I had to come out of retirement to tell the OP how clownish their whole post was.

Retire from retirement throw!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:59 am
  • Man some people around here are whiney a@$% babies.....ill go to the shack to tell you how i really feel about them.

Just soooo negative. Its really exhausting.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:10 am
  • Everything is awesome, don't question the picks, the FO never made a mistake.

If you do question them, you just don't know football. I love every pick. ever. This year is no exception. A+ again!

Woot, Go Hawks!
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 am
  • There is a difference between criticism and hyperbole.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:19 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    chet380 wrote:Surely we could have traded 2,3 or even 4 of those 3rd Rd. picks to move up from #58 and get something better than Pocic.

It's also entirely possible that everyone will one day learn to judge draft picks using more criteria than "Is he an offensive lineman?", but that doesn't mean it's LIKELY.

I'd say three of those picks, at least, make the team.

Apparently they've moved past it because now they're whining that it wasnt early enough for a lineman (everyone wants Cam?) and Pocic wasn't lauded by the rest of the league.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:19 am
  • Why are so many on this board trippin' over the Pocic pick? A lot of analysts are saying it was a great get for the Hawks, and are predicting him as a day 1 starter. Personally, I like that they addressed the line early on for the second straight year and took a guy who seems like he fits his draft position.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:31 am
  • Smellyman wrote:Everything is awesome, don't question the picks, the FO never made a mistake.

If you do question them, you just don't know football. I love every pick. ever. This year is no exception. A+ again!

Woot, Go Hawks!

How about a happy middle ground.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:33 am
  • gowazzu02 wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:Everything is awesome, don't question the picks, the FO never made a mistake.

Woot, Go Hawks!

I am happy with half of them!

Edit: and I am happy, but people telling others you don't know football and everything is awesome is just as annoying as everything is bad crowd. Love the WR, CB picks, but I would've like to have seen Ramczyk, Robinson or Lamp over McDowell. The audacity of me!
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:54 am
  • Smellyman wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:Everything is awesome, don't question the picks, the FO never made a mistake.

Woot, Go Hawks!

I am happy with half of them!

Edit: and I am happy, but people telling others you don't know football and everything is awesome is just as annoying as everything is bad crowd. Love the WR, CB picks, but I would've like to have seen Ramczyk, Robinson or Lamp over McDowell. The audacity of me!

Ok thats fine. But the "js is ruining our team" or the "they dont know what theyre doing" or the "mediocre draft" threads arent like ur post.

Theres a diff between i would of liked to have player x " and "since they didnt take the guy i wanted theyre idiots and were not winning any games next yr"
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:54 am
  • Smellyman wrote:I would've like to have seen Ramczyk, Robinson or Lamp over McDowell. The audacity of me!

I would have picked one of those guys too, largely based on all of the free opinions I've read from bloggers and mock drafts. However, knowing that the Hawks selected McDowell is new (and better) information. I'm not saying you have to like it, but it would be foolish to remain anchored to opinions as of April 27, 2017 for the rest of your life without reevaluating them as new data comes in.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:13 am
  • AgentDib wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:I would've like to have seen Ramczyk, Robinson or Lamp over McDowell. The audacity of me!

I would have picked one of those guys too, largely based on all of the free opinions I've read from bloggers and mock drafts. However, knowing that the Hawks selected McDowell is new (and better) information. I'm not saying you have to like it, but it would be foolish to remain anchored to opinions as of April 27, 2017 for the rest of your life without reevaluating them as new data comes in.

This kind of what I mean. I am not anchored to anything for the rest of my life. Such hyperbole.

But I still wanted one of those 3 over McDowell. Even with so much new 'data'.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am
  • Fyi mayock just said pur 2nd pick Pocic. Who played center....is a better rt then the tackles in the draft..........
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 am
  • Yes, we have to wait a couple of years and see, but after 4 years of disappointing drafts ...
    "In JS/PC I no longer trust".
    Joyodongo
    NET Rookie

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:51 am
  • Year of The Hawk wrote:There is a difference between criticism and hyperbole.

Agreed. It is one thing to be skeptical that Pocic can be converted from a center to a guard or tackle. But the claims the FO is brain damaged and incompetent are wearing. It can take years " Justin Britt" for a pick to truly be evaluated. How many first round OL picks league wide are still playing 4 years later?

I have a new rule, if a post says, "I'm ok with this pick, but would rather have had..." I scroll.
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:56 am
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    chet380 wrote:Surely we could have traded 2,3 or even 4 of those 3rd Rd. picks to move up from #58 and get something better than Pocic.

List the 4 players you wanted and I bet I see Kipers board. Some times I agree with the so called experts but only when there's a clear consensus. That's not the case here. Now the Center they drafted does look like a reach but other than that I like this draft so far.

"We need offensive line!"

"Offense sucks this year; they're gonna be drafted much higher than they otherwise would because it's a thin year for whatever talent is there, and there aren't a lot of 'better' players."

"Don't care! Offensive line!"

"We just took Pocic. Plays all the offensive line positions and didn't give up a sack last year."

"OVERREACH! WE SHOULD HAVE TRADED UP FOR SOMEONE BETTER!"
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:05 am
  • nash72 wrote:The way the FO has failed in the draft the last 3 or so years, i'll take Chets side.

I expect nothing less your negativity is boring, over the top ridiculous, tired and painfully predictable. All it is at this point is white noise to most of us and a source of amusement to not a small amount of people. I figure it is a fair thing to let you know about this.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:12 am
  • gowazzu02 wrote:Fyi mayock just said pur 2nd pick Pocic. Who played center....is a better rt then the tackles in the draft..........

Mayock typically knows his stuff. Kiper? Not so much. Some people around here? Definitely not.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:Why are so many on this board trippin' over the Pocic pick? A lot of analysts are saying it was a great get for the Hawks, and are predicting him as a day 1 starter. Personally, I like that they addressed the line early on for the second straight year and took a guy who seems like he fits his draft position.

One thing not being talked about is that LSU is a ZBS team so this guy will probably step right in from the jump. He's not from a spread offense where they have to completely reteach him from the ground up.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:25 am

What player did you have in mind?
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:38 am
  • pocic will start and be solid at tackle
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:15 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:

Trade 3 of #90, #95, #!02, #106 and our #58 to get Lamp ... OR

Trade whatever number of the #3 picks it took to get Obi.

As to being "Kiper-influenced", FYI, I detest Kiper and didn't watch a single second of the ESPN coverage.

I concede that my OP was somewhat hyperbolic, but when written it reflected my profound disappointment as to how the Hawks draft developed -- after all the trade-downs and passing on excellent prospects, to end up with McDowell and Pocic and the "training camp fodder" of RD. 3 was very deflating.

As with everyone else on this board, I had been following closely the potential Hawks draft picks since January and at the end of RD. 3 I was initially bewildered and then extremely disappointed.
    chet380
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:38 pm
  • chet380 wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:

As to being "Kiper-influenced", FYI, I detest Kiper and didn't watch a single second of the ESPN coverage.

I concede that my OP was somewhat hyperbolic, but when written it reflected my profound disappointment as to how the Hawks draft developed -- after all the trade-downs and passing on excellent prospects, to end up with McDowell and Pocic and the "training camp fodder" of RD. 3 was very deflating.

As with everyone else on this board, I had been following closely the potential Hawks draft picks since January and at the end of RD. 3 I was initially bewildered and then extremely disappointed.

I can understand your rationale, if indeed you think all those picks are worth Lamp or other O-line prospect that may not be that much better than what we drafted in Procic.

But we have other areas to shore up, and there's no way one lineman in THIS draft is worth that much capital since it would leave other position depth depleted.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 02, 2021 6:11 pm
  • chet380 wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:

This is why we wait a few years to evaluate drafts, because Obi and Lamp are both horrendous busts and Pocic is at least a capable starter. :)
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sun May 02, 2021 7:54 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    chet380 wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:

This is why we wait a few years to evaluate drafts, because Obi and Lamp are both horrendous busts and Pocic is at least a capable starter. :)

Wow, I can only assume that you’ve been stewing for a while.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun May 02, 2021 8:11 pm
  • It's interesting that my 2017 post appeared out of nowhere ... I was wrong about Obi and Lamp, but I still maintain that a trade-down involving those draft picks could have been used to get someone better than Pocic.
    chet380
    NET Veteran

Sun May 02, 2021 8:36 pm
  • Recalling this post seems a bit like "I told you so" on the surface.

But the ability to recall it is exactly why making absolute predictions and either praising or criticizing picks needs to be done with a lot more humility and a lot less confidence and name-calling those who disagree. This isn't an exact science for those of us on the outside of scout- and evaluator-stacked team FOs.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 02, 2021 8:42 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:Recalling this post seems a bit like "I told you so" on the surface.

But the ability to recall it is exactly why making absolute predictions and either praising or criticizing picks needs to be done with a lot more humility and a lot less confidence and name-calling those who disagree. This isn't an exact science for those of us on the outside of scout- and evaluator-stacked team FOs.

This is true.

I only bring it up because of its relevance to the current pinned threads.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sun May 02, 2021 8:54 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:Recalling this post seems a bit like "I told you so" on the surface.

This is true.

I only bring it up because of its relevance to the current pinned threads.

Yep, I completely agree. It's appropriate when people thrown a fit about not getting their way to remind them of some perspective. Good on ya'.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 02, 2021 9:29 pm
  • Just for perspective this might be Pocic’s first off-season where he can just focus on studying the film and iron out his craft specifically as an OC.

And he was pretty solid last year up until his concussion especially with an old LG battling to stay healthy and a rookie RG, and a new RT that also had some injuries.

With that said Pocic is a better OC now than Britt was when healthy, now that Pocic has that legit starting experience to build off, I think he’s going to surprise. IMO, no rookie was going to come in and be better right away. Pocic has 4 years with Russ. There’s value in that.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Sun May 02, 2021 10:22 pm
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Just for perspective this might be Pocic’s first off-season where he can just focus on studying the film and iron out his craft specifically as an OC.

And he was pretty solid last year up until his concussion especially with an old LG battling to stay healthy and a rookie RG, and a new RT that also had some injuries.

With that said Pocic is a better OC now than Britt was when healthy, now that Pocic has that legit starting experience to build off, I think he’s going to surprise. IMO, no rookie was going to come in and be better right away. Pocic has 4 years with Russ. There’s value in that.

I have no doubt that he'd be above average if he were at center the whole time.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Mon May 03, 2021 12:15 am
  • Pocic had to build up his body and learn a bit more about leverage, he still has a bit to go, he needs to get stronger still if his frame can handle it which is the other issue.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon May 03, 2021 3:30 am
  • hawknation2017 wrote:Probably already our best defensive draft since 2010-12.

DT Malik McDowell
    DT Nazair Jones
    CB Shaquill Griffin
    SS Delano Hill

Lol
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon May 03, 2021 3:45 am
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Just for perspective this might be Pocic’s first off-season where he can just focus on studying the film and iron out his craft specifically as an OC.

I dont think Pocic is as good as Britt was and I still think he is the weakest part of the OL and needs upgraded. The biggest thing to me was Russ not tweeting anything after Pocic resigned. That spoke mountains.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue May 11, 2021 1:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information