Jamal Adams trade and giving up two 1st rounders

seabowl

Reaction score
First off I loved what I saw too from Adams and am happy we got him. With this said after looking at the very first mock draft for next year though the thought that we got one over on the Jets because the draft next year will be a crapshoot may be deceiving. We all thought and still think the Hawks wiould have been picking late in round 1. The problem though comes in since the draft likely will be a crapshoot, guys that normally would have been picked high now may slip due to a shortened season or no season at all with little tape to analyze. Joe Burrow is a great example in this case if he were in this scenario his senior season.

Again I love that the Hawks got Adams but all that say we got one over on the Jets due to the college season being a mess may have overlooked that it may have also gone in our favor. This especially for a guy that almost had to be traded based on his off the field disruptions. Just thought at the time two first rounders and a quality safety were a lot and not needed due to the circumstances.

Ok let me have it.

Mick063

Reaction score
Sheesh.

There is a mathematical formula used to calculate the value of draft picks. Standardized across the league by the collective NFL front office personnel and used as virtual currency. The NFL equivalent of bit coin used to assign value to draft picks for the purpose of making draft day trades.

The quantitative value of the picks used by Seattle to acquire Adams was very close to the value of the original draft pick used by the Jets to draft Adams. In essence, it was the equivalent of trading draft picks to move up on draft day.

The "sold the farm" narrative is nothing short of "ill informed" but is persistently popular because message board pundits say so.

Seattle has historically moved down on draft day. When doing so, they used the fore mentioned "standardized draft pick value as currency" format. Think of this Adams deal as the equivalent of alternatively moving up on draft day instead of moving down.

I leave it to the audience to do the research and find the value assigned to the picks Seattle traded to the Jets as well as the value of the original pick used by the Jets to draft Adams. I do so not because I am lazy, but if you actually do the research, it may drive home the point well enough for retention and future reference. I'll even give you a link for a head start: https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculat ... -value.php

If you do not wish to do your homework, then trust me when I say that neither side got fleeced. In short, the standardized market values dictate that the value of the picks that Seattle traded for Adams was equivalent to the value of the pick that the Jets used to draft Adams.

The only valid counter argument is that players drafted in the first round are typically signed to four year deals with a team option to extend to five years. Seattle lost one of those years to the Jets. This is the ONLY valid argument against this trade. The following link displays nothing but four year deals: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agen ... ale-works/

Scroll down on that last link to learn how rookie contracts are done.

The Holy Grail of team building begins and ends with superlative value from rookie deals. Four years of super bang for the buck. Seattle's only Super Bowl victory came with Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, and the LOB on their rookie deals. It allows you to fill the voids with those pricey veteran minimums. The Chiefs are the most recent champions? Mahomes on a rookie deal. Baltimore is their biggest threat? Jackson on a rookie deal.

This trade is like Seattle drafted Adams high, but gave one of his years of service under the rookie deal to the Jets. If you believe you have a short Super Bowl window, or that your coach is going to retire within five years, then this has negligible impact on your "win now" team building strategy.

RCATES

Reaction score
Look at Seattle's last 5 first round picks. Now pick 2 that you take over having Adams. Fact is the PC/JS combo has been terrible drafting in the first round. I love this move.

D

DomeHawk

RCATES":29vjfxsn said:
Look at Seattle's last 5 first round picks. Now pick 2 that you take over having Adams. Fact is the PC/JS combo has been terrible drafting in the first round. I love this move.

To PC/JS' defense, their philosophy was that we are already drafting close to the 2nd round w/our late picks so why not trade down and pick up some more picks. Given that the draft can be a crap shoot anyway this doesn't really sound that crazy. Problem is, it hasn't worked out that great for us.

The opportunity that Jamal Adams presented was an opportunity to get a legit bona fide All-Pro. Lots of players become Pro-Bowlers and they are very good players but All-Pro players are special, these are the future HOF'ers, the true elite of the NFL. You can go many years in the draft without drafting an All-Pro, they just don't happen that often. Within obvious limits, you don't pass up a chance to get an All-Pro, especially one whom is in his early career years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If Adams is the generational cornerstone safety that will be the heart of our defense for the next 6-7 years that he looks like he already is after only one game?

Then absolutely he was worth two 1st rounders.......especially the devalued and diminished first rounders over the next couple years because of how devalued and hard to evaluate college players will be.

Pete and John knew that this was the year to go for broke and field the most experienced ready to play team of their tenure here, and that's what they did.

xray

Reaction score
The pass rush ability and some extra sacks is already paying off .

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I believe some are missing the point I was trying to make. After the trade happened it was touted in some articles that Seattle pulled a fast one on the Jets because of the lack of ability to diagnose players abilities who were going to be in the draft next year due to a cancelled or shortened college season. My thought was this can also go the other way where a really good player who normally would have been drafted high slips to the lower part of round 1 for the same reason, lack of college tape. Additionally I did and still do not like that a player that was doing everything he could to get off the team (putting down your coach is pretty bad) demanded that much draft capital and the Jets themselves said they could not pass up on what we gave them.

Again I think Adams will be great but I question some of the parts of the trade and if we could maybe have not given up as much as we did.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3g0ven9w said:
RCATES":3g0ven9w said:
The opportunity that Jamal Adams presented was an opportunity to get a legit bona fide All-Pro. Lots of players become Pro-Bowlers and they are very good players but All-Pro players are special, these are the future HOF'ers, the true elite of the NFL. You can go many years in the draft without drafting an All-Pro, they just don't happen that often. Within obvious limits, you don't pass up a chance to get an All-Pro, especially one whom is in his early career years.
Further to DomeHawk's point, had the Hawks spent the equivalent draft capital in 2017 to move up from the bottom of the 1st round to #6 overall and draft Adams, they wouldn't absolutely know that they drafted an All Pro (and a very disruptive one at that!). But trading for him in 2020 was a sure thing.

Jamal Adams is a healthy Tyrann Mathieu on steroids. Earl Thomas was great when he was a Hawk but Earl couldn't do what Adams can. His freakish ability to run down RBs from the backside and tackle them for loss is huge. Plus, from what we've seen thus far is his ability to cover short crossing routes. I am thrilled that he's a Hawk. Factor in his ability to blitz from the edge and the trade was a no-brainer.

massari

Reaction score
I guess they could get a guy that'd be drafted earlier if it were a normal year, but they could also get a guy that'd be taken later.

The Seahawks haven't had much success drafting with their first pick, but they also haven't had much success from trading them.

Personally like the trade, but too bad there wasn't a future hall of famer available entering his prime who played on the DL instead of SS.

KinesProf

Reaction score
seabowl":ex4op7tn said:
My thought was this can also go the other way where a really good player who normally would have been drafted high slips to the lower part of round 1 for the same reason, lack of college tape.

And who are these projected high picks that aren't playing this year that you are thinking of? Because if it's Sewell, Parsons, or Chase , they won't be dropping to the late first.

Provide an example.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
KinesProf":t1q9aqw6 said:
seabowl":t1q9aqw6 said:
My thought was this can also go the other way where a really good player who normally would have been drafted high slips to the lower part of round 1 for the same reason, lack of college tape.

And who are these projected high picks that aren't playing this year that you are thinking of? Because if it's Sewell, Parsons, or Chase , they won't be dropping to the late first.

Provide an example.

Where did you have Joe Burrow on your draft board this time last year?

Elemas

Reaction score
I understand your point but I also understand that trades, draft capital, and the draft in general are filled with risks.

I'm certain we tried to offer less but, other teams were in the bidding. As for fleecing the Jets, it's a coin toss. You simply never know what's going to happen with the players you draft. Especially in the positions we traded away. But, given our draft history in the first round, most feel like we came out on top with this trade.

If you took a basket full of 1st round pick names over...let's say the last three years, drew two, and compared both to Jamal Adam's, odds are you're going to be delighted that you chose Adams.

There's not much...to not like here. As for referencing what happened in NY, it appears that you may not be aware of what happened behind the scenes? At least, what was publicly available?

Adams wants to win. And if his performance in his first game with us (or, let's say his last THREE years) is any indication of what he can do for this team, then I think we did just fine.

KinesProf

Reaction score
seabowl":16t7mwp3 said:
KinesProf":16t7mwp3 said:
seabowl":16t7mwp3 said:

Provide an example.

Where did you have Joe Burrow on your draft board this time last year?

Don't deflect from the question that I asked you. We are talking about current college prospects, as they are who are relevant to forthcoming drafts.

Polk738

Reaction score
After what I saw on Sunday I'd give up another 1st round for him, the closest player I can compare him to is Troy Polomalu which to me was a once in a generational talent, I see the same thing in Jamal Adams.

Fade

Reaction score
In a vacuum the trade isn't good. (Generic Team A makes trade with Generic Team B). Seattle gave up equivalent trade value where Adams was drafted but didn't get the full benefits of having him for the full length of his rookie deal. While also assuming Seattle will be drafting late in the 1st, they probably will, but there are no guarantees.

But contextually the trade is at the very least, fair, if not pretty good.

Seattle's roster was starved for elite young talent, especially on defense, and they have a lot of cap space in future years due to collectively average drafts over the last 8 seasons. DK & Poona are the only young guys upcoming that they need to extend, maybe Shaquill, maybe.

Two 1st rounders = 1 young All-Pro. Based on how Seattle has been picking in the 1st round? You gotta love it!

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Elemas":3f83ttg6 said:
I understand your point but I also understand that trades, draft capital, and the draft in general are filled with risks.

I'm certain we tried to offer less but, other teams were in the bidding. As for fleecing the Jets, it's a coin toss. You simply never know what's going to happen with the players you draft. Especially in the positions we traded away. But, given our draft history in the first round, most feel like we came out on top with this trade.

If you took a basket full of 1st round pick names over...let's say the last three years, drew two, and compared both to Jamal Adam's, odds are you're going to be delighted that you chose Adams.

There's not much...to not like here. As for referencing what happened in NY, it appears that you may not be aware of what happened behind the scenes? At least, what was publicly available?

Adams wants to win. And if his performance in his first game with us (or, let's say his last THREE years) is any indication of what he can do for this team, then I think we did just fine.

Agree the draft is a crapshoot but this year they may have benefited from the scenario.

As far his his wanting out of the Jets it was very public and he was even putting down Gase to the media. I'm in NY and it was a very contentious situation so they had to move on from him and quick as he would have been a distraction.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Anyone remember who we drafted with the two first rounders we got from Dallas for Joey Galloway? Me neither.

Edit: It was Shaun Alexander and Koren Robinson.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Don’t know how anyone watching Adam’s first game as a Seahawk, joining the team less than three months ago, could try to rationalize losing late round lottery picks for not only a proven All-Pro talent that the leagues players respects as the best Safety in the game but a potential Hall of Famer that is just beginning the prime of his career.

1. Just wait until Adams has real chemistry and familiarity with his teammates one that can only be forged on the field with experience through every success and every failure.

2. Just wait until Adams plays with a full contingent of 12s behind his back, all that passion and energy inside one stadium, will destroy anything in its path.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
seabowl":2yf5dt9y said:
Ok let me have it.

So if anything you're arguing that the draft will be even more of a crapshoot than usual so best to have more picks? Is that what I'm hearing? Because that's really out there in the "bird in hand is worth two in the bush" scenario that is constantly raised by this trade.

Yes, an overlooked good player may fall in the draft due to lack of tape. But even more likely is that a crappy player will be over-rated because of great measurables but a lack of game tape. This year's draft is going to be a gong show. I'm happy we are saving the money on first round draft picks and using that to extend guys like DK, Adams, Poona, Reed, Dunbar, etc

Smellyman

Reaction score
seabowl":nlfnqz5o said:
Elemas":nlfnqz5o said:

Agree the draft is a crapshoot but this year they may have benefited from the scenario.

As far his his wanting out of the Jets it was very public and he was even putting down Gase to the media. I'm in NY and it was a very contentious situation so they had to move on from him and quick as he would have been a distraction.

They didn't have to do anything quick. They still had 31 teams inquiring about him because he is that good. It was going to take a lot by anybody who wanted him.