Jamal Adams trade and giving up two 1st rounders

AgentDib

Reaction score
seabowl":s0yhrn85 said:
I believe some are missing the point I was trying to make. After the trade happened it was touted in some articles that Seattle pulled a fast one on the Jets because of the lack of ability to diagnose players abilities who were going to be in the draft next year due to a cancelled or shortened college season. My thought was this can also go the other way where a really good player who normally would have been drafted high slips to the lower part of round 1 for the same reason, lack of college tape.
I see the argument that you are making, but keep going with it. Yes, a high first round pick could fall to the end of the first round. In addition, a mid first round pick could fall to the second, a second round pick could fall to the third, another second round pick could end up as a UDFA, and so on. The uncertainty devalues picks across the board from top to bottom, but because the top picks are worth exponentially more then the higher picks suffer the most.

Next years draft looks like a really good year to have about ten 3rd round picks, and the proof in the pudding will be how teams trade next draft day. I expect moving up will be extremely cheap given the level of uncertainty, and so if the Hawks do want to move back up into the first for a specific player then it should remain an option.

That being said, I would be skeptical of any trade up. The way to deal with high uncertainty is by taking more shots.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":3w45mmnm said:
Look at Seattle's last 5 first round picks. Now pick 2 that you take over having Adams. Fact is the PC/JS combo has been terrible drafting in the first round. I love this move.

"I keep picking used cars that break down, so I'm just going to bike from now on for my 60-mile daily commute."

D

DomeHawk

AgentDib":2t97qzma said:
I see the argument that you are making, but keep going with it. Yes, a high first round pick could fall to the end of the first round. In addition, a mid first round pick could fall to the second, a second round pick could fall to the third, another second round pick could end up as a UDFA, and so on.

Granted, and just the opposite could happen.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2jryzi2v said:
RCATES":2jryzi2v said:
Look at Seattle's last 5 first round picks. Now pick 2 that you take over having Adams. Fact is the PC/JS combo has been terrible drafting in the first round. I love this move.

"I keep picking used cars that break down, so I'm just going to bike from now on for my 60-mile daily commute."

Sometimes the road less traveled is the best thing for you especially if it forces you to be much more prepared and work much more harder for it.

No doubt JS like his surplus of players and would like his full complement of picks but it now puts him a position to draft players at a premium rather than perhaps a luxury. And any time you’re a team low on picks and high on competition those UDFAs start paying attention and just hitting on just a couple of them will help a team’s overall cap management.