Time to sign Earl Thomas

silvergun

Reaction score
We need some help all over the place on D. We should look and see if Earl would be willing to come back.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
If the two parties parted on good terms, a very "no hard feelings, best of luck, and I still love ya" kinda way then I think the Seahawks would entertain it. However that's not how they parted and Earl seems to devolve into a total basketcase. So no.

chris98251

Reaction score
No, this defense needs to find THEIR identity and not have a Thomas try to play LOB without that same cast of characters.

Rat

Reaction score
Sure. I don't like the way he left, but I dont have THAT much pride. If he can help keep our defense afloat, we could probably use that help.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If we're gonna sign help it needs to be on the lines. Russ is taking too much heat and we're not getting enough pressure on their QB. Once we get Dunbar and Adams and our injuries healed we should be better than we have shown so far and have good team chemistry.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Why? He's limited to free safety, and Quandre is a strong starter at that spot. Earl wouldn't help at all.

D

DomeHawk

Nope don't want no ring of honor, raise 12 flag, no nada. No bueno.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Eric Reid is available. He is 29, a still a decent player.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Ignoring the scorned spouse argument for the present, let's ask if Earl would even bring anything to the table for us.

Earl was great at a couple of things. Instinctual freewheeling and the speed to make plays, and recover when his instincts led him astray. He was terrible at scheme, and disciplined play, which got him canned at Baltimore.

The LOB was complementary. One of those things where the total product is greater than the sum of its parts. Earl elevated Sherman and Browner, and to some extent Kam, and those players elevated him.

But Earl needed guidance from a player he respected to keep his head in the game. He needed a Kam to keep him focused. He doesn't have respect for, nor does he listen to, the coaches in the way he did Chancellor.

Now, between the injuries and the age, he doesn't have that same speed to make plays, and more critically to get back into position when his instincts lead him astray. He still wants to do his own thing, despite the scheme and play call dictating he do something different.

He is a liability now, not an asset. He needs to get his head on straight, grow up, and humble himself. I think that is a task too big for Thomas.

In a perfect world, a Kam would take him under his wing, and become a redeeming father figure to him. We don't live in a perfect world.

I loved Thomas. I have his jersey hanging in my closet. But his head outgrew his body, and it's not easy for a man like that to do the things that are necessary to get back in the game.

What does it tell you when the players on his team apparently let the coaches know that they wanted him gone? What does it tell you that, as far as I can find, he hasn't even been brought in for a visit by any of the 31 other teams? Even the Browns, with cap space galore, and a glaring hole at his position, aren't interested.

We are better off without him, even if we completely ignore the history of his departure.