Penny

seabowl

Reaction score
Just curious what the latest is with him. Is he coming back anytime soon and if so who does he replace?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If Penny comes back strong and healthy I could see him replacing Homer at RB. But I could see Homer sticking for ST. As time goes on I expect Dallas' role to increase too. He has such diversity in skills it's hard to see him fail to find a spot.

sutz

Reaction score
He would be eligible to come off of PUP in week 7 IIRC. But I don't think they have to make the decision for 3 weeks.

Likely they won't hurry it unless there is an injury.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For him the injury is significant as he is in his 3rd season and has yet to s how he can be ‘the guy’ or stay healthy.

Interesting that he was a healthy player through college, but as a pro is not so much.

He needs to be fully recovered before he’s brought back or this will slow him down even more than usual.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
When Penny is back, I believe Bellore is the odd man out. Do the Seahawks really need a FB who is never used? It's not like he is making a major impact on ST either.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And he was really starting to roll before that injury. Very versatile player. Looking forward to having him back in the lineup. Carson/Penny/Hyde/Dallas? Noice

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Seahawks could also get cute and slide Penny to IR to gain an extra year on his contract.

Basis4day

Reaction score
sdog1981":fi3lvkdn said:
The Seahawks could also get cute and slide Penny to IR to gain an extra year on his contract.

I don't believe that is correct. Players on PUP or IR still accrue seasons. I believe he would need to be on NFI to affect his accrued season status.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Basis4day":1g9bukkx said:
sdog1981":1g9bukkx said:

I don't believe that is correct. Players on PUP or IR still accrue seasons. I believe he would need to be on NFI to affect his accrued season status.

You are right, that is NFI, not PUP.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Depending on how Penny looks when he gets back, I think he'll be the basic back-up RB to Carson. This is still very important, since a RB can go down at any time in this league. As much as Homer gets crapped on (on this board)... he's an excellent blocker, with good recognition and instincts, especially for such a young back. He's also got good hands on receiving.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pretty versatile player and he was ballin' before he got injured. Looking forward to seeing him back on the field. The Carson/Penny one two punch was really dangerous. Shoot, if they play in the GB game, the Hawks win that one. Just my opinion...….

Fade

Reaction score
With Carlos Hyde getting hurt he's looking like a big waste of money. Hyde was supposed to be the bridge until Penny got healthy. Now when Penny gets back, I could see the Seahawks doing something stupid like cutting Dallas to make room to justify Hyde's bloated salary. Dallas could've taken Hyde's reps and you wouldn't have noticed the difference on the field. And you would have more cap space to boot. It will be interesting to see how the Seahawks juggle the roster, and who is the odd man out.

olyfan63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":w6683cl4 said:
As long as they keep Homer I am happy.

Yup. Homer won the Minny game for us with his protection for Russell. Dude is one smart football player. Now if he could only break tackles or make tacklers miss. Amazing pass blocker, and good receiver though. And bomb on special teams.

TypeSly

Reaction score
olyfan63":2lm9917e said:
TwistedHusky":2lm9917e said:
As long as they keep Homer I am happy.

Yup. Homer won the Minny game for us with his protection for Russell. Dude is one smart football player. Now if he could only break tackles or make tacklers miss. Amazing pass blocker, and good receiver though. And bomb on special teams.

Yeah I think with more experience and time for him to fill out a little bit more, I think he'll do just fine as an offensive back. There's many great backs that couldn't block for their lives. Even the ones that are good blockers, might not have been able to recognize who to block, because of the schemes that offences were throwing at them. He's excellent at this, which shows his intelligence. They always said running is instinctual for backs, but blocking takes a long time to be good at. He might not develop to be anymore than a 3rd down back offensively, but he's got tons of value already in protecting Russ. This is why at a young age, he's in on so many snaps. Being a good blocking back doesn't show up on the stats, but it's certainly appreciated by the team and the coaches.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Homer has been pivotal on so many of our great plays this year.

He keeps the safeties off Russ while Russ has time to throw long into single coverage. If that defense is in cover 0, Wilson is going to kill it because Homer will keep the rusher off him.

I hate when Homer carries the ball. But we need to keep him.

Maybe treat him like a Fullback, feed him the ball just enough to keep him happy but for the most part keep him in to block or pass him the ball out in the flat. Nobody should want to see Homer running between the tackles and he isn't really fast enough to reliably get to the edge on sweeps.

Penny will be an important asset though. He catches the ball and has speed. But he will give you some decent long runs too.

Honestly, Hyde is the guy that seems to not be doing much. Rather have a healthy Penny over Hyde all day.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Fade":20bw81fa said:
With Carlos Hyde getting hurt he's looking like a big waste of money. Hyde was supposed to be the bridge until Penny got healthy. Now when Penny gets back, I could see the Seahawks doing something stupid like cutting Dallas to make room to justify Hyde's bloated salary. Dallas could've taken Hyde's reps and you wouldn't have noticed the difference on the field. And you would have more cap space to boot. It will be interesting to see how the Seahawks juggle the roster, and who is the odd man out.

If you cut Dallas you save about $240,000. You save $2,000,000 if you cut Hyde.

If you wouldn't notice a difference between Dallas and Hyde on the field you cut Hyde and keep Dallas.