If You Could Go Back In Time...

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
That, and traded Ahman Green to the Packers. A little painful reminder for those who may not remember, Green would go on to become the Packers’ all-time rushing leader with 8,322 career yards while scoring 68 career touchdowns. In his first seven seasons in Green Bay, Green would crack the 1,000-yard barrier six times, including a single-season record 1,883 rushing yards in 2003. Holmgren had a hair trigger with players sometimes and I think it caused him to make some poor personnel decisions.

Green was good but he was a fumbler and Alexander was better than him anyways. That trade doesnt even register on my meter.

(My bad. I thought Green was traded later than he was. You are right and i'm wrong on that account.)

Aircrew

Reaction score
Green was good but he was a fumbler and Alexander was better than him anyways. That trade doesnt even register on my meter.

(My bad. I thought Green was traded later than he was. You are right and i'm wrong on that account.)
No you're right on Green's fumbling problems, it actually never really got fixed in Green Bay either. I had a friend who was a Packer fan who'd needle me about the Ahman Green trade being so one sided. I'd always bring up his fumbling problem and he'd admit that it was an issue, but they put up with it because he was such a bell cow the rest of the time he had the rock.
Yeah, I remember thinking that at least we hung onto Alexander so the only net loss was that Vinson never panned out. But to lose that kind of value in a player just stings and is, in my opinion, one of the reasons Holmgren was relieved of his GM duties years later. Speaking of, I didn't really like the house cleaning he did when came to Seattle, or at least the degree to which he did it. Dennis Erickson actually put together a pretty decent roster of talent, I think a coach like Pete Carroll would have done a better job of utilizing the roster he inherited to minimize the rebuilding turnaround. Mike just blew it up and we ended up taking several years before we were competitive. Ah well.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
You are given the gift of a real time machine and can choose to go back to anytime in Seahawks franchise history and change ONE thing. What would it be? XL is the obvious choice but there are many others too. Ownership, plays, outcomes, etc... Your choice!
Well first thing I'd do with a time machine is go back and stop people swiping time machine based threads ;) JK.

I put a bit of thought into this one also, and I think my answer is:

Win Superbowl XL and keep THAT band together for a few years.

Holmey, Hass, Jones, Hutch, SA just that whole team was magic, and if I could get Holmey and Hass a ring, that would be amazing. Holmey should have ridden that Harley out of the building with a big fat hawks SB ring on his finger. And I wish they could have rolled to a mini dynasty instead of getting short changed and imploding.

Stolen from my other thread response that's similar;

I really wish that Haas and Holmey could have had a ring with the Hawks. REALLY wish. They are still my two most liked Seahawks ever. EVER.

XL was the year I became a fan (see handle). I think I would have been a far less angry fan if we had won XL. Like, for a decade. I think we all had just bad attitudes as fans - simply because of XL - and it was justified.

We wouldn't have cared as much that we lost 49 if we had a decade and a half of a ring for history.

Of course, i'm also 'recency biased' - as I only got on the bandwagon in 05. I really don't have much knowledge of the pre 05 era other than what people mention as the legends around here.

Again, the better part of a decade could have been much less hatred-fanning. Took a long time to get over XL, and obviously haven't still.

XL, and keep that band together for a little dynasty run. That's what I'd do.

I DO realize that there are 1000 answers to this question - and to a large extent I'd agree with all of them. Graham, Harvin, Golden Tate, Curry, etc - they're all valid too as things that could have gone differently.

Don't get me wrong, I love what we have now. But there was nothing like 05 - and I'd sure like to see that group with the hardware. EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE HASS ON TV.

Avatar now changed until the season starts for the Holmey and Hass tribute ;)

Hawkinaz

Reaction score

seabowl

Reaction score
Do what you could to get Elway or if you couldn’t, then draft Marino.

morgulon1

Reaction score
XL, and keep that band together for a little dynasty run. That's what I'd do.

I DO realize that there are 1000 answers to this question - and to a large extent I'd agree with all of them. Graham, Harvin, Golden Tate, Curry, etc - they're all valid too as things that could have gone differently.
While I agree with all the different takes , I like CalgaryHawkfan2005s the best. I still have inner turmoil from that messed up game.

My "do over" is trivial. I would've never changed the uniforms (early 2000s ?) I would've kept the same color scheme and simply updated them.I would've added white pants for the road or whenever .

Could you imagine having Elway play QB for the Seattle Seahawks tho?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
September 3, 1984, the season opener at home against the Cleveland Browns. Pitch right sweep to Curt Warner who plants his right leg to cut upfield and blows out his right ACL. I truly believe that year could have been Seattle's first Super Bowl had Curt Warner not been hurt. Here's a link to the Seahawks' 1984 highlights, which is worth a watch. The Seahawks first truly great team.

I can think of several things but you just reminded me of one. Instead of signing overrated malcontent Franco Harris, I'd have us trade for Earl Campbell. He ended up going from Houston to New Orleans later in this season, so I think the Seahawks could have gotten him relatively easily. A Seahawks team with Earl Campbell (even an aging Earl Campbell) in the backfield instead of Franco Harris would have been a helluva lot more fun to watch, and probably would have been a helluva lot more productive.

Last edited:

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I can think of several things but you just reminded me of one. Instead of signing overrated malcontent Franco Harris, I'd have us trade for Earl Campbell. He ended up going from Houston to New Orleans later in this season, so I think the Seahawks could have gotten him relatively easily. A Seahawks team with Earl Campbell (even an aging Earl Campbell) in the backfield instead of Franco Harris would have been a helluva lot more fun to watch, and probably would have been a helluva lot more productive.
I've never considered that. He certainly wouldn't have been any worse than Franco was.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I franchise Hutch instead of getting cute with the transition tag.
There are so many points to choose from. But this was the turning point in the Holmgren era.

Mine would be getting one more win in that 1986 season. The year that they went on a tear to finish the season but missed the playoffs due to tiebreaker (I think it was the Chiefs who got in over the Seahawks). That team probably would have won it all (if they would have made the playoffs).

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
There are so many points to choose from. But this was the turning point in the Holmgren era.

Mine would be getting one more win in that 1986 season. The year that they went on a tear to finish the season but missed the playoffs due to tiebreaker (I think it was the Chiefs who got in over the Seahawks). That team probably would have won it all (if they would have made the playoffs).
I think that mid-season skid (lost 5 games in a row?) started with a game in which two touchdowns got called back. Give us those two TDs, and we win our first Super Bowl that season.

Latest posts