Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seahawks have an outside chance for the #1 Seed

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Chicago beats Green Bay
    &
    Carolina beats the Saints

    No rest: Seahawks ‘going for it’ Sunday vs. 49ers, trying to secure NFC’s top playoff seed


    BY GREGG BELL. DECEMBER 28, 2020 05:12 PM


    https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 38315.html
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 20869
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • Am I in the minority here? I find this scenario to hardly be a stretch.

    No, no, I have no disillusionment over assuming the way most think it's going to turn out is precisely how it turns out. If I am in Vegas, the cards are heavily stacked against me. Yet, when diving deep, I start to see that this isn't as uncredulous as it first appears.

    Look at the Bears last month. Are they not trending upwards to a surprising degree? Even Mitch has lifted some eyebrows as of late. Is it all that crazy to think that the Bears couldn't take this game from the Packers? Especially that they just lost their tackle Bakhtiari for the season? That's like us losing Brown this week.

    And the Saints? In Carolina. They only lost by 3 to the Saints in the first matchup. Watch them and you can clearly see they are no push overs. While they may need another year or two, this team is built to upset a playoff team RIGHT NOW.

    So outside chance for the Hawks to grab that #1 seed? Sure, I would agree with that.

    But don't be at all surprised if it happens Sunday.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14892
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Aros wrote:Am I in the minority here? I find this scenario to hardly be a stretch.

    No, no, I have no disillusionment over assuming the way most think it's going to turn out is precisely how it turns out. If I am in Vegas, the cards are heavily stacked against me. Yet, when diving deep, I start to see that this isn't as uncredulous as it first appears.

    Look at the Bears last month. Are they not trending upwards to a surprising degree? Even Mitch has lifted some eyebrows as of late. Is it all that crazy to think that the Bears couldn't take this game from the Packers? Especially that they just lost their tackle Bakhtiari for the season? That's like us losing Brown this week.

    And the Saints? In Carolina. They only lost by 3 to the Saints in the first matchup. Watch them and you can clearly see they are no push overs. While they may need another year or two, this team is built to upset a playoff team RIGHT NOW.

    So outside chance for the Hawks to grab that #1 seed? Sure, I would agree with that.

    But don't be at all surprised if it happens Sunday.


    The Bears have lost nine of the last 10 games against the Packers. They've lost 21 of 26 during the Aaron Rodgers era.

    The Saints have won eight of the last ten meetings against the Panthers.

    The Bears winning would be an upset. The Panthers winning would be a really big upset. The Seahawks still have to win their game.

    The correct thing to do is to play for it here, but mathematically it's a pretty low (single digit %) probability of working out. But so is the probability of the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl. You just play for it and see what happens.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2714
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 pm


  • bmorepunk wrote:The Bears have lost nine of the last 10 games against the Packers. They've lost 21 of 26 during the Aaron Rodgers era.

    The Saints have won eight of the last ten meetings against the Panthers.


    OK. Let's assume the Packers have a 80% (21/26) chance of winning and Saints have an 80% (8/10) chance of winning.

    Using those percentages, if the Seahawks win they have a 64% chance at the #3 seed, a 32% chance at the #2 seed, and a 4% chance at the #1 seed.

    I believe that odds are more like Packers 60% / Saints 70%. Which means a Seahawks win gives them a 42% chance at the #3 seed, a 46% chance at the #2 seed, and a 12% chance at the #1 seed.

    Football Outsiders has it at #1 - 6.9%, #2 - 18.7%, #3 - 65.2%.

    Whatever the real odds are, anything can happen. Getting the #2 seed also means a decent chance of homefield throughout. The 49ers game is probably much more important than it appears.
    renofox
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1442
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:20 pm
    Location: Reno, NV


  • In my mind, a Chicago win over GB would not surprise me. The Bears are playing for their playoff lives. This is essentially a playoff game for them. But Carolina beating the Saints, even without Kamara, would be a very big surprise. Obviously the Panthers have nothing to play for at this point, and the players are already thinking about where they're going to go on vacation in the offseason.

    As much as I would love to see this play out in our favor, it's highly unlikely. That being said, I'll definitely be scoreboard watching as I'm watching the Hawks game on Sunday, and hoping for a miracle.
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 226
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • They have a puncher's chance against N.O. who won't have Kamara and several others. They won a tough game last weekend against WFT and only lost in the first contest by 3. As well several of the players on the Panthers are playing for jobs next season and if they fail to show up that may seal their NFL careers.

    For the as well Teddy B is playing against the team he practiced against last season. I predict a close game.

    If nothing else I'd like the Hawks to leap frog over GB so the game between the team would be in our house (I'm a 12). That said for the team there Are advantages available to play for tomorrow and a W may help greatly later in the playoffs.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7572
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


  • I'd rest them. Both teams losing would be a huge surprise.
    I don't think the odds make sense for us to be all in.

    Is it worth the injury risk?
    Elemas
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 702
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm


  • Elemas wrote:I'd rest them. Both teams losing would be a huge surprise.
    I don't think the odds make sense for us to be all in.

    Is it worth the injury risk?


    If Seahawks win and only 1 of GB/NO loses, Seahawks get the 2 seed - likely Divisional playoff game at home instead of on the road.
    renofox
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1442
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:20 pm
    Location: Reno, NV


  • renofox wrote:
    Elemas wrote:I'd rest them. Both teams losing would be a huge surprise.
    I don't think the odds make sense for us to be all in.

    Is it worth the injury risk?


    If Seahawks win and only 1 of GB/NO loses, Seahawks get the 2 seed - likely Divisional playoff game at home instead of on the road.


    Thanks for the correction. Not sure why I was only focused on both losing.

    In that case, all in.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 702
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm


  • Aros wrote:Am I in the minority here? I find this scenario to hardly be a stretch.

    No, no, I have no disillusionment over assuming the way most think it's going to turn out is precisely how it turns out. If I am in Vegas, the cards are heavily stacked against me. Yet, when diving deep, I start to see that this isn't as uncredulous as it first appears.

    Look at the Bears last month. Are they not trending upwards to a surprising degree? Even Mitch has lifted some eyebrows as of late. Is it all that crazy to think that the Bears couldn't take this game from the Packers? Especially that they just lost their tackle Bakhtiari for the season? That's like us losing Brown this week.

    And the Saints? In Carolina. They only lost by 3 to the Saints in the first matchup. Watch them and you can clearly see they are no push overs. While they may need another year or two, this team is built to upset a playoff team RIGHT NOW.

    So outside chance for the Hawks to grab that #1 seed? Sure, I would agree with that.

    But don't be at all surprised if it happens Sunday.



    My goodness... you have me convinced... Holy moley man!! to bad the wife took my check book... dang!! LOL


    LTH :D
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


  • I'm guessing we'll get one out of two. Either the packers or saints lose. Definitely not both. Seahawks still need to win their game. Get the #2 seed and stay at home as long as we can.
    eo620
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 14
    Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:50 pm


  • LTH wrote:My goodness... you have me convinced... Holy moley man!! to bad the wife took my check book... dang!! LOL


    Well someone's gotta rally the troops! :lol:
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14892
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • We’re with you fearless leader :2thumbs:
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7572
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


  • 538 is giving it a 4% chance. 71% chance at the 3.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 6392
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • Just 'ballparking' it, I estimate we have about a 5% chance for the #1 seed, a 20% chance for the #2 seed, and a 75% chance we are the #3 seed. That said, anyone that has played DND knows that natural 20s (5% chance) do happen.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2206
    Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:19 am


  • Wow, it will be 1and done if they play like we’re playing now against the 49ers.
    stack55
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 143
    Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:06 am


  • All due credit to the Niners, their defense is too banged up for our offense to be playing like this against them.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 32118
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • stack55 wrote:Wow, it will be 1and done if they play like we’re playing now against the 49ers.


    The niners are better than their record and having Seattle lay a last game egg is not new. I am confident we will play a lot better next week. We are going to be the #3 seed no matter what. Neither the packers nor the saints are going to lose.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2206
    Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:19 am




It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online