Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hot names for the new OC

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Hot names for the new OC
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:54 am
  • James in PA wrote:Sounds like Doug Pederson is out & will be taking the next year off. Damn. Today’s new name in the search for our next OC: Kirby Wilson from the Raiders.

Who? Also, this guy has been around Tom Cable! No thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson is 59 and has no OC experience. I can't possibly think of a better candidate.
    ducks41468
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:05 pm
  • If they don't give Wilson what he wants, then he demands a trade, I'll probably stop watching the Seahawks tbh.

dear diary
    massari
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:42 pm
  • ducks41468 wrote:Wilson is 59 and has no OC experience. I can't possibly think of a better candidate.

Do you actually know anything about Wilson or is this just ageism? You might be surprised by how much people can learn by the time they are 59.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:24 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:
    ducks41468 wrote:Wilson is 59 and has no OC experience. I can't possibly think of a better candidate.

Do you actually know anything about Wilson or is this just ageism? You might be surprised by how much people can learn by the time they are 59.

Nothing against him, but hiring someone with no OC experience just based on past ties to Pete would be a thoroughly underwhelming hire. And he hasn't even interviewed for an OC role in 7 years, so he doesn't come across as a hungry up-and-comer, regardless of age. Again, the guy could be building an elite repertoire that he's waiting to unleash, but the general indicators are against it and suggest that he's a career position coach.
    ducks41468
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:51 pm
  • Bevell officially off the list. He wasn't coming back anyway, surely.

Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:25 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Bevell officially off the list. He wasn't coming back anyway, surely.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Unless Bevell wasn't the problem here.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:54 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Bevell officially off the list. He wasn't coming back anyway, surely.

He draws up some great play action stuff. I don't think he's especially creative, and he wasn't doing great in Detroit either. If Jacksonville is going for Lawrence and wants to slow roll it with him like Russ in his first few years, Bevell might be alright.

Urban Meyer is a guy with an offensive background. Probably wants a specific element that Bevell excels at.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:04 pm
  • I’m still hoping we land Chiefs QB coach Mike Kafka. He appears to be next in line to be the Chiefs OC, but if Bienemy gets screwed out of a head coaching job, Kafka couldn’t really get promoted there.

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:53 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Bevell officially off the list. He wasn't coming back anyway, surely.

He draws up some great play action stuff. I don't think he's especially creative, and he wasn't doing great in Detroit either. If Jacksonville is going for Lawrence and wants to slow roll it with him like Russ in his first few years, Bevell might be alright.

Urban Meyer is a guy with an offensive background. Probably wants a specific element that Bevell excels at.

Exactly, Bevell is probably not going to have much of a hand in actually calling the offense, my bet is that Urban Meyer will be handling much of the offense. Afterall Urban Meyer has always been big at calling his own plays in college, I don't see much changing here.

I do know Bevell is seen around the league as being a good QB coach.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:34 am
  • WmHBonney wrote:

Teams are stupid. Chip Kelley coached a couple of NFL teams.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:10 pm
  • I'd like to throw the name Mike McCoy out there. Former QB's coach (Panthers), Offensive Coord (Panthers, Cardinals), and former Chargers Head Coach.

Well-experienced, out of a job...he meets all requirements.
    HagFaithful
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:17 pm
  • Here is one that I find interesting indeed:

via Bob Condotta Twitter

Add Joe Lombardi to the mix of names for Seahawks’ offensive coordinator job https://seattletimes.com/sports/seahawk ... _inset_1.1… via
    @seattletimes

I like the Saint's O schemes as they seem able to take advantage of an intermediate passing game and play action.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:17 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:Here is one that I find interesting indeed:

via Bob Condotta Twitter

Add Joe Lombardi to the mix of names for Seahawks’ offensive coordinator job https://seattletimes.com/sports/seahawk ... _inset_1.1… via
    @seattletimes

I like the Saint's O schemes as they seem able to take advantage of an intermediate passing game and play action.
    And Vince Lombardi’s grandson.

SOLD.

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:53 pm
  • James in PA wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Here is one that I find interesting indeed:

via Bob Condotta Twitter

@seattletimes

And Vince Lombardi’s grandson.

SOLD.

Double Sold

Born: Seattle in 1971
    High School: Seattle Prep
    College: Air Force Academy (I'm and Air Force Vet :D )
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:11 pm
  • The hawks have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and nobody wants this offensive coordinator job. That says everything. There gonna hire some 2nd string janitor to be Pete's lackey.

It s too bad there's no one to hold Pete accountable. If Russ is still here in Sepember, he won't be in 2022.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:13 pm
  • I'd be more interested in Lombardi than in any of the others I've heard so far. But I hope we clear the shelves trying to find the right guy for this job. Much more important to do a complete vet job than get in a rush just to be done with it.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:38 pm
  • Pep Hamilton? Thought he did some cool things in indy.

Steelers are considering him
    keasley45
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:48 pm
  • I like the idea that the team is looking at quite a few candidates.

There are a lot of high quality coaches the team has spoken to so far. I highly doubt a single one is prepared to be a “yes man” like the Nellies around here are assuming Pete wants.

I want to see creativity and speed to adjust, the effective use of TEs, an innovative intermediate passing game that allows both an effective running game, and an ability to get schemed chunk plays. It’d be nice to see a running game that is more than pound it inside and depend upon the physicality of the RB, who absorbs the pounding b/c of the predictability of the running game. BS’ scheme beat up the backs so by year end they were less effective as a result. I’d also like to see edge busting speed as well. The team has talent and needs more imaginative innovation with the play calling to use the talent.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:36 pm
  • I have no idea who the OC will be right now, but only ask for four things:

1. An OC who PC will trust completely and not feel the need to meddle with the calls or schemes.

2. An OC who understands and knows how to make a new gameplan each week taking into account the next teams defensive strengths and weaknesses.

3. An OC who know how to make in-game adjustments so the other team's defense isn't able to accurately guess our plays on a constant basis.

4. An OC who knows how to teach and call a creative game that caters to RW's strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.

If at the minimum these attributes are found in our new OC then we may have the seeds for another true SB contender, and not just another few years of being a pretender in a Hawk's uniform. That would make me very happy!
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:41 am
  • kf3339 wrote:I have no idea who the OC will be right now, but only ask for four things:

1. An OC who PC will trust completely and not feel the need to meddle with the calls or schemes.

2. An OC who understands and knows how to make a new gameplan each week taking into account the next teams defensive strengths and weaknesses.

3. An OC who know how to make in-game adjustments so the other team's defense isn't able to accurately guess our plays on a constant basis.

4. An OC who knows how to teach and call a creative game that caters to RW's strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.

If at the minimum these attributes are found in our new OC then we may have the seeds for another true SB contender, and not just another few years of being a pretender in a Hawk's uniform. That would make me very happy!

This! Great post! :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:07 am
  • @ the 2:40 mark

We do change a lot, I’m well above average in the nfl... our game plan from week to week

A coordinator who actually adjusts his game plan depending on the team being faced? SOLD!!!!!

https://youtu.be/Qr9L2kMiXBQ
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:18 pm
  • Lynn is off the table. Reportedly wants to work with Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn, which is why he chose Detroit.

Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:The hawks have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and nobody wants this offensive coordinator job. That says everything. There gonna hire some 2nd string janitor to be Pete's lackey.

It s too bad there's no one to hold Pete accountable. If Russ is still here in Sepember, he won't be in 2022.

Yup, they likely understand that Pete just wants a "yes man" kind of OC. Not surprising. After hearing that Pete interfered with play calls and caused some of those low play clock situations, I was sorta hoping we would be looking for a new head coach to be honest.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:29 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:The hawks have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and nobody wants this offensive coordinator job. That says everything. There gonna hire some 2nd string janitor to be Pete's lackey.

What evidence is there that nobody wants the position?

Seems like the Seahawks are just being diligent in their search imo
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:45 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:The hawks have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and nobody wants this offensive coordinator job. That says everything. There gonna hire some 2nd string janitor to be Pete's lackey.

It’s not like the supermodel doesn’t want to date me. It’s just me being extra careful that she’s a good match. :roll:
    JayhawkMike
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:32 pm
  • Mistashoesta wrote:@ the 2:40 mark

We do change a lot, I’m well above average in the nfl... our game plan from week to week

A coordinator who actually adjusts his game plan depending on the team being faced? SOLD!!!!!

https://youtu.be/Qr9L2kMiXBQ

That was kind of a fun interview. Probably the most personalized bit I've seen of him. Seems like football coach material, for sure. I bet he'd fit with our guys on O pretty easily.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:53 pm
  • Lynn to Detroit. Another one down.
    keasley45
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:18 pm
  • One thing about Pete and John, they seem to wait, wait, wait, wait, they interview a lot, but wait. In that time guys get hired and they fall back to option B,C,D, etc.

You always here they got their guy of course, first rule of coach speak don't talk about the ones that got away.

This is going to a long process.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:52 pm
  • DHawk wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:The hawks have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and nobody wants this offensive coordinator job. That says everything. There gonna hire some 2nd string janitor to be Pete's lackey.

Yup, they likely understand that Pete just wants a "yes man" kind of OC. Not surprising. After hearing that Pete interfered with play calls and caused some of those low play clock situations, I was sorta hoping we would be looking for a new head coach to be honest.

Sorry, but nah. The reality is that most coordinators aren't just left alone to do whatever they want. They work within parameters set by the HC. Hell, a good amount don't even call the plays. If coordinators were realistically expected to be in full control of their unit, there'd be literally zero reason to have a head coach.

The "yes man" narrative is tired. If they just wanted a "yes man," then we'd already have an internal promotion instead of a super-wide net cast over the pool of candidates. Furthermore, reports have stated they'd prefer an outside candidate. Not to mention Pete openly speaking about how he wants the opposite of a yes man, instead saying he wants someone who'll have enough balls to specifically tell him when he's wrong.

Nothing about this process has pointed to "yes man."
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:28 pm

If we are going to be objective and unbiased, if this is a case of potential coordinators not liking the hawks job, it could be that the idea of employing a 'run heavy' approach led by PC isn't appealing. Or, that scripting an offense to suit a 'unique ' qb, isn't a draw. By now, both PC and RW are known commodities. The last two OCs to come through here were let go.. The word is out on both, and we can only speculate as to what the true story is.
    keasley45
    NET Starter

Hot names for the new OC
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:36 pm
  • This idea that Pete wants a “yes man” because he overruled some calls this year is horribly overstated. Head coaches overrule calls when they aren’t happy. It’s within their purview to do so. He wasn’t pleased that the run game stalled and that offensive turnovers were way up. That’s never going to be acceptable with his overall philosophy, and he’s been clear about that. You can pass the ball all over the place in whatever way you want, but “it’s all about the ball” and there has to be an effective run game too.

USC’s teams ran a form of west coast offense complimented with the deep ball and balanced with the run game. When Russ arrived in Seattle, Pete looked at Russ’s ability to run, saw what RG3 was doing, and had Bevell add run option plays (see https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -redskins/). Seattle uses shot gun and pistol. They NEVER used shotgun the entire time Pete was at USC.

This idea that he can never adapt is BS. Philosophy doesn’t change. How you work within that philosophy absolutely can.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:08 am
  • sc85sis wrote:This idea that Pete wants a “yes man” because he overruled some calls this year is horribly overstated. Head coaches overrule calls when they aren’t happy. It’s within their purview to do so. He wasn’t pleased that the run game stalled and that offensive turnovers were way up. That’s never going to be acceptable with his overall philosophy, and he’s been clear about that. You can pass the ball all over the place in whatever way you want, but “it’s all about the ball” and there has to be an effective run game too.

USC’s teams ran a form of west coast offense complimented with the deep ball and balanced with the run game. When Russ arrived in Seattle, Pete looked at Russ’s ability to run, saw what RG3 was doing, and had Bevell add run option plays (see https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -redskins/). Seattle uses shot gun and pistol. They NEVER used shotgun the entire time Pete was at USC.

This idea that he can never adapt is BS. Philosophy doesn’t change. How you work within that philosophy absolutely can.

100%

Great post... And we have no idea why it's taking a bit longer to make the hire. Odds are, they're doing their due diligence. Russ is (hopefully) involved with the search, and they're looking at any and all options.

Last night I read that they may be talking with Joe Lombardi from the Saints. He's from Seattle and has a history of working with Russ's hero. Bright mind and comes from a dynamic and interesting offensive scheme.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/1/22/22 ... ns-falcons
    RockinHawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:50 am
  • Seattle wants to interview Buffalo's QB Coach.

SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:18 am
  • Maybe none of these guys Wilson wants? Think he has a say?
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:08 am
  • Dorsey from the Bills, Lombardi from the Saints, and Waldron from the Rams: Now these are some candidates I could get excited about. Waldron would be really interesting. He’s been with McVay the last 4 years. Maybe he could help us get over the hump with those bastards once and for all.

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:09 pm
  • Seahawks having a hard time finding guys who want to work with Carroll:

There is definitely some skepticism in the coaching ranks as to how attractive this job is, even with a talent the likes of Russell Wilson to work with (and those receivers).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... l-oc-more/
    massari
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:48 pm
  • massari wrote:Seahawks having a hard time finding guys who want to work with Carroll:

There is definitely some skepticism in the coaching ranks as to how attractive this job is, even with a talent the likes of Russell Wilson to work with (and those receivers).

I said previously it will not be easy to land an OC with Seattle.

Especially knowing Carroll likes vanilla scheme now.

Coordinators hoping to be head coaches would have a rather hard time showcasing their playbook with Carroll’s direction.

Carroll will be especially hard pressed to find someone that can “tame” Wilson and hold Wilson accountable when Wilson does not want to run all the time. I remember when they first hired Schotty, they were looking for someone that could “manage” Wilson and tell him, “no, etc.” cause Carroll himself was not willing to do so.

If any posters here that may recall that, please feel oblige to post it, but what Carroll wants is a coordinator that will be a henchman to Carroll and call a vanilla game plan which runs contrary to what rising coaches in this league will want to do especially if they want to be considered a great caller and be a head coach one day.

You will not get that being a Carroll long term offensive coordinator.

We have all seen in it with Bates, Bevell, and Schottenheimer.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:52 pm
  • JayhawkMike wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:

It’s not like the supermodel doesn’t want to date me. It’s just me being extra careful that she’s a good match. :roll:

Ok. And who exactly is the supermodel that the Seahawks have interest in?

Oh, that's right, a bunch of unproven position coaches.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:24 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    massari wrote:Seahawks having a hard time finding guys who want to work with Carroll:

Coordinators hoping to be head coaches would have a rather hard time showcasing their playbook with Carroll’s direction.

Carroll will be especially hard pressed to find someone that can “tame” Wilson and hold Wilson accountable when Wilson does not want to run all the time. I remember when they first hired Schotty, they were looking for someone that could “manage” Wilson and tell him, “no, etc.” cause Carroll himself was not willing to do so.

If any posters here that may recall that, please feel oblige to post it, but what Carroll wants is a coordinator that will be a henchman to Carroll and call a vanilla game plan which runs contrary to what rising coaches in this league will want to do especially if they want to be considered a great caller and be a head coach one day.

What we saw with Bates and Bevell are coordinators who were fired because they weren't getting the job done, and haven't really proven they can get the job done elsewhere as far as having a good offense goes.

With Schottenheimer, you have a failed coach who just got done running Georgia's offense into the ground and went to be a quarterback coach in Indy. That same guy was suddenly getting head coach buzz here before his offense fell apart and he couldn't adjust appropriately.

Lets not act like this is some career ruining job. It just doesn't check out whatsoever.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:13 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Seattle wants to interview Buffalo's QB Coach.

Kick Pete upstairs. Bring Daboll and Dorsey in as HC/OC package deal.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:33 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    massari wrote:Seahawks having a hard time finding guys who want to work with Carroll:

I have quite literally no recollection of ever hearing this even being a rumor. I too would love someone else giving insight in to this.
    rsRyno
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:08 pm
  • rsRyno wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:

I have quite literally no recollection of ever hearing this even being a rumor. I too would love someone else giving insight in to this.

I don't recall that but would not surprise me. Pc is in a pickle. He needs Wilson to pull his arse out of the in the 4th qtr, but on the other hand does not want a top qb but a middle of the road take no chances qb. Problem is he needs Wilson.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:31 pm
  • Lombardi gone to LA Chargers. Fine by me, I don't think he's the best candidate for Seattle.

Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:47 pm
  • I remember the comments when Shotty was hired, and they have stuck with me. That's part of the reason I have questioned Russell's play harshly this season.

Does this sound familiar:

From an article Jan 2018, Bevell's last season.

Russell Wilson led the NFL with 34 touchdown passes this season but was regularly underwhelming during slow first-half performances that put stress on Seattle’s defense and often had the Seahawks playing from behind.

Schottenheimer’s biggest challenge will be re-energizing a Seattle running game that disappeared this season.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/16/seahawks-announce-hires-of-brian-schottenheimer-ke/

This article relates to the question asked:

When the Seattle Seahawks hired Brian Schottenheimer during the offseason a lot of observers, myself included, were highly critical of the hire and did not like the move. Brought in to hold quarterback Russell Wilson accountable and to challenge Wilson “more than ever”, his primary mission seemed to be to create pocket presence and awareness for Wilson consistent with prototypical quarterback play.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/10/31/18047210/why-seattle-seahawks-hired-brian-schottenheimer-pocket-presence-russell-wilson-discipline

Doug Baldwin talks about the Shotty hiring and how he will hold everyone accountable. Jan 26, 2018 - Seahawks.com

There's a Sports Illustrated article from 9/7/2018 that talks about Pete coddling Russ because players felt "Carroll judged Wilson was too emotionally fragile".

I could go on and on, but you guys can look crap up yourself if your bored.

If I am an OC candidate, I'm more worried about Russ than Pete.
    nwHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:55 pm
  • It seemed when they hired schotty they wanted Russ to run less and him to stay a pocket passer

But most people laughed at the hire cuz schotty had never done anything of substance as an oc. And even he didn't want to be pete's scapegoat anymore
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:09 am
  • nwHawk wrote:I remember the comments when Shotty was hired, and they have stuck with me. That's part of the reason I have questioned Russell's play harshly this season.

Does this sound familiar:

From an article Jan 2018, Bevell's last season.

Russell Wilson led the NFL with 34 touchdown passes this season but was regularly underwhelming during slow first-half performances that put stress on Seattle’s defense and often had the Seahawks playing from behind.

Schottenheimer’s biggest challenge will be re-energizing a Seattle running game that disappeared this season.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/16/seahawks-announce-hires-of-brian-schottenheimer-ke/

This article relates to the question asked:

When the Seattle Seahawks hired Brian Schottenheimer during the offseason a lot of observers, myself included, were highly critical of the hire and did not like the move. Brought in to hold quarterback Russell Wilson accountable and to challenge Wilson “more than ever”, his primary mission seemed to be to create pocket presence and awareness for Wilson consistent with prototypical quarterback play.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/10/31/18047210/why-seattle-seahawks-hired-brian-schottenheimer-pocket-presence-russell-wilson-discipline

Doug Baldwin talks about the Shotty hiring and how he will hold everyone accountable. Jan 26, 2018 - Seahawks.com

There's a Sports Illustrated article from 9/7/2018 that talks about Pete coddling Russ because players felt "Carroll judged Wilson was too emotionally fragile".

I could go on and on, but you guys can look crap up yourself if your bored.

If I am an OC candidate, I'm more worried about Russ than Pete.

I think this point needs to be considered. Its not hard to make the case that Shotty was trying to get Russ out of his slump last year in the second half by being a better passer. Giving him things he did reasonably well, and dialing up plans that SHOULD have given Russ the oppoortunity to beat some of the looks the Offense was getting from defenses. To say Russ struggled isnt bashing or a leap. Its there in almost every game if you want to go back and look through the All22.

Come season's end, given how things went, Schotty, who was brought in to push Russ, lobbies to continue the course to get Russ to the next level as a pocket passer. Pete's seen enough and wants to go back to more of what the team was early on (play to what Russ does well - extend plays ) and run the ball, because he has less faith that Russ can adapt. 9 years. Bevell tried toward the end of his tenure. Schotty tried.

None of this is to say that Russ isnt great. He is. And Pete doesnt mind what he is because he thinks he can win with it if he doesnt push Russ beyond his limit.

ENTIRELY plausible that if there's a sense from candiadtes that the OC job isnt appealing that it could be the challenge of scripting a gameplan every week that cant be measured on it own merit because it gets rewritten by a master of improv at QB that has yet to be either truly made to adhere to script or adequately developed that aspect of his game.

After all, the OC at the end of the day will be measured not entirely by stats, but by his offense's ability to consistently perform at a high level, and for that success to be part of a plan, so that it can be measured, modified week to week, and adapt to an opposing team's weaknesses. The players make the plan go. If player #1 (QB) cant be corralled, even if you are putting up big passing numbers, the offense as a whole, will be inconsistent, save for your QB's individual talent and ability to make plays on his own, will be difficult to adapt, be subject to stagnation, and invariably beatable.
    keasley45
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:26 am
  • "There's a Sports Illustrated article from 9/7/2018 that talks about Pete coddling Russ because players felt "Carroll judged Wilson was too emotionally fragile"."

I can't imagine Pete telling anyone, except maybe Mrs. Carroll, that about RW. If he actually had said that for public consumption, RW should/ould have asked for a trade.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:11 am
  • I don't think there's some conspiracy here, we just have a habit of making lazy hires at the position coupled with Russ's own lack of development and Pete's stubbornness.
    ducks41468
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:53 am
  • None of us have any idea why it's taken so long to make a new OC hire. But the fact that we are still waiting does make it seem that the position isn't considered a great stepping stone for upwardly mobile young talent.

I mean if you can't be excited about working with RW, Metcalf and Lockett then that is an internal system issue.

This is starting to look like a major fail on PC's part. I do hope I'm wrong.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:52 am
  • kf3339 wrote:None of us have any idea why it's taken so long to make a new OC hire. But the fact that we are still waiting does make it seem that the position isn't considered a great stepping stone for upwardly mobile young talent.

I mean if you can't be excited about working with RW, Metcalf and Lockett then that is an internal system issue.

This is starting to look like a major fail on PC's part. I do hope I'm wrong.

Also agree
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information