Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rumors are Russ is unhappy with O line.

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Rumors are Russ is unhappy with O line.
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:12 pm
  • "I’m hearing Russell Wilson’s camp has grown increasingly frustrated by the Seahawks inability to protect the 8 time Pro Bowler. He has been sacked 394 times in 9 seasons. This situation warrants serious monitoring."

Jason La Canfora
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:"I’m hearing Russell Wilson’s camp has grown increasingly frustrated by the Seahawks inability to protect the 8 time Pro Bowler. He has been sacked 394 times in 9 seasons. This situation warrants serious monitoring."

Jason La Canfora

Timing seems odd.

Also bears pointing out that while he has had some trash o-lines over the years, SOME (not all) of the high sack totals are on his shoulders.

Wonder what's up. Russ is too calculated for this to not have an angle of some sort.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:"I’m hearing Russell Wilson’s camp has grown increasingly frustrated by the Seahawks inability to protect the 8 time Pro Bowler. He has been sacked 394 times in 9 seasons. This situation warrants serious monitoring."

Jason La Canfora

Timing seems odd.

Also bears pointing out that while he has had some trash o-lines over the years, SOME (not all) of the high sack totals are on his shoulders.

Wonder what's up. Russ is too calculated for this to not have an angle of some sort.

A new campaign has began.

“Keep Russ alive.”
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Can't pay everyone...and this team cannot draft quality oline men..nothing will change..and no money to pay any worthwhile free agents.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Then get rid of the ball quicker
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Jerhawk wrote:Then get rid of the ball quicker

LOL!
    Let the snap sail and blame the center. Center blames the guard for stepping on his foot. Guard blames the tackle for bumping him. Tackle blames the center for calling out wrong assignment. Turmoil ensues.
    That's how Russ gets a new line.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• He wanted stars last off-season, he also wanted to cook. Olsen and the 2nd half of the season happened. Let’s let the GM make those decisions and our Q spend more time finding was to do better at pre snap reads, and throwing to his check downs.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• Over the weekend, it was reported that a couple of teams called the Seahawks to inquire about Wilson’s availability in trade. The Seahawks declined to engage in such discussions. On Monday night, came this nugget from Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports: “I’m hearing Russell Wilson’s camp has grown increasingly frustrated by the Seahawks inability to protect the 8 time Pro Bowler. He has been sacked 394 times in 9 seasons. This situation warrants serious monitoring.”

To the extent there’s a “there” there, Wilson’s concerns sweep much more broadly than a complaint about the quality of the team’s offensive line. It’s the overall offense. It’s the early exits from the playoffs. It’s everything that has kept the Seahawks and Wilson from getting back to the Super Bowl.

Indeed, the Seahawks haven’t progressed past the divisional round since 2014, Wilson’s third NFL season. Now entering Year 10, the 32-year-old quarterback is getting closer to the midpoint of a career, based on his preferred expiration date of 45. For several years, a vague sense has meandered through the grapevine that, in time, Wilson will play for another team.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... n-problem/
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• His article reads like it was written by a .NET poster. No meat, all "could be" speculation.

But the Hawks do need to get better in the trenches. They need to invest in both lines more than anything else.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Let's go down the line:

LT- Brown- above average to pro bowl level
    LG- Ok, the weak spot sure, but not atrocious
    C- Pocic, average
    RG- Lewis, basically all rookie. Can improve in pass pro for sure but not a liability.
    RT- Shell, career year, good pff grade. Average to above average at times.

So overall I thought the line did fine. Some games a C, some an A, but never an F really.

This isn't 2015-2017. The line can get better but it's not the problem.
    Teahawks
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Holding onto the ball too damn long caused half the sacks. 3-4 first rounders would be nice for wilson.
    5thgen
    NET Practice Squad

• I am absolutely fascinated with the level of disdain, and borderline disgust fans have when fans, or even Russ demands better weapons, or protection.

Brady left the Patriots because of the situation and lack of talent. He yells at his O-linemen when they don't protect him, barking at them. Something Wilson would never be allowed to do without being called arrogant.

It's almost as if, we would rather see the team invest in the defense, than provide one of the best human beings, and QBs we've ever had with what EVERY team in the league tries to do for their QB. Why do we feel Russ should just eat crap and take it? Why do some fans view him so low, they don't give a crap how bad the O-line is?

Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, all hold onto the ball. Their teams at least care enough about them to invest in their protection while we're too busy figuring out which Safety or DB we should overpay.

Teahawks wrote:Let's go down the line:

LT- Brown- above average to pro bowl level
    LG- Ok, the weak spot sure, but not atrocious
    C- Pocic, average
    RG- Lewis, basically all rookie. Can improve in pass pro for sure but not a liability.
    RT- Shell, career year, good pff grade. Average to above average at times.

So overall I thought the line did fine. Some games a C, some an A, but never an F really.

This isn't 2015-2017. The line can get better but it's not the problem.

"It's not the problem."

That's just it, unless the O-line is ranked 29th, or 30th again we're perfectly fine ignoring it. What low standards.

Average O-lines are totally fine. God forbid we draft, or sign O-linemen that actually make the Pro-bowl, or that are consistently great. The Chiefs pull it off, the Packers do. The Patriots did it for years. But if we even try to give Wilson a Top 5 O-line, oh no. Who cares, he's not our franchise QB. We should accept average. Other teams value, and respect their QB well enough to not settle for this.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• I'm not blaming the O-line for all the sacks. Wilson needs to read defenses better. Always going for the deep ball. When the deep ball isn't there, he runs around scared as hell like a chicken with it's head cutoff. Now in Wilson's defense, it could be the offensive playbook. With no to barely any short routes, cross patterns etc...to dink and dunk down the field. I will hold judgement and see what Waldron installs for the offense. If it continues next season, then Wilson needs to fix the way he plays QB.
    hawks85
    NET Veteran

• If this was really coming from Russ's camp intentionally they would have leaked it to somebody like Dan Patrick. Jason La Canfora has zero credibility these days after too many "I'm hearing..." blurbs that turned out to be completely false.

Either way, everybody would like to see both lines continue to improve. There's not two sides to this issue as if one group of people are arguing in favor of worse OL play.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• He flat out should be unhappy, the pass blocking and play calling has been brutal.
    But the way people talk about Russ is plain ridiculous. The fact that people blame him for half the sacks is laughable. Sometimes he absolutely holds on the ball too long. But so do plenty other QB's. He has extended plays and made some ridiculous magic happen. Mahomes does the exact same thing and gets celebrated and worshiped for it.
    But, it's been that way for years on here towards Russ so...….
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Jerhawk wrote:Then get rid of the ball quicker

Mahomes: "Oh my goodness please get my sweet little angel some o-line help! My dearest cannot handle such stress from running backwards every snap!"

Wilson: "Get the ball out quicker you dolt"
    ducks41468
    NET Veteran

• The offensive line has been a weak spot here since before Carroll. Carroll's philosophy with the offensive line is often times dumbfounding. He puts more of a premium on finding lineman that can play anywhere on the line than just about anyone in the NFL, rather than a guy that play one spot well. His offensive lineman choices often lack the ability to pass block well, but are road graders in the run game.

Really the only piece we have to build off of is Lewis at the RG. Duane Brown is one of the oldest starting LTs in the league. It's not a stretch to say that this season or the next his play could go down the drain. He's at that age where one injury, or just father time could get him and it'll be the last we see of Brown. Our C, Procic is what I would call backup caliber. He gets pushed in way too often for comfort. We hardly ever have a pocket because of him. Our LG is the weakest position. Iupati is washed up and none of the other guys are any good there. Our RT, Shell did okay at times, bad at others. Our line is in bad shape and we don't really have many resources to throw at it.

RW and Pete Carroll also have culpability here. Carroll has a tight leash on Wilson when it comes to changing plays at the LOS. Wilson doesn't have the same agency as most QBs in the NFL. His ability to checkout of plays is limited compared to someone like Tom Brady. This makes dealing with obvious blitzes and mismatches problematic.

Wilson tends to hold onto the ball for too long, even within the context of Pete's offense. He had checkdowns last year, he didn't take them. Notice how Brady had an internal clock in the superbowl. He knew after a certain amount of time he needed to get rid of it. This is Russell Wilson's biggest weak spot as a passer. His internal clock is not there. He has no sense of "I need to take what I'm given or I'm in danger". Carroll has bred this into him IMO, but it still is problematic. No offensive line will look good under these context. Russell Wilson also seemed to struggle with identifying the blitz this year. Teams threw different zone blitzes at him that really seemed to baffle Wilson. As good as a player as Wilson is, he really needs to to get better at the LOS, and conversely Pete needs to give him agency there.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:"I’m hearing Russell Wilson’s camp has grown increasingly frustrated by the Seahawks inability to protect the 8 time Pro Bowler. He has been sacked 394 times in 9 seasons. This situation warrants serious monitoring."

Jason La Canfora

Timing seems odd.

Timing is obvious. He just watched Mahomes get destroyed by bad line play while Brady went to a new team and won the SB in convincing fashion right away. A lot to digest for him.
    ducks41468
    NET Veteran

• That had to look all to familiar to Russ. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Russ reached out to Mahomes, and soon.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Maybe the lack of a consistent quality OL over his career has forced Wilson into developing bad habits from having to ad-lib too often . Or he is too damned short . :D
    xray
    NET Veteran

• xray wrote:Maybe the lack of a consistent quality OL over his career has forced Wilson into developing bad habits from having to ad-lib too often . Or he is too damned short . :D

Nah, the line is fine and he has been running into sacks his entire career. He needs to get the ball out faster, like within 0.2 seconds. just take the snap and throw it 50 yards downfield
    ducks41468
    NET Veteran

• The line is fine? Sarcasm??
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:The line is fine? Sarcasm??

Absolutely. He needs to get the ball out in -0.8 seconds, before the ball is even snapped. I don't see Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady having any trouble transcending the laws of time and space, that's why they win games. Faster!!
    ducks41468
    NET Veteran

• I like it...….snap, immediately throw it 50 yards :mrgreen:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:I like it...….snap, immediately throw it 50 yards :mrgreen:

Metcalf better get faster...
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Hey Russ, most of us are unhappy with the swiss cheese o-line.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Wilson has been a QB for us long enough to know that this is one of the better lines he is going to get.

Never understood why he signed another contract with us knowing that the way Carroll likes to coach simply isn't going to focus on the OL and is always going to do less with the offense than Wilson could do somewhere else.

It made no sense to re-sign here and then complain about our line or our offense. That is like moving near the airport, then complaining about the noise from the flight routes. You knew this when you bought the house.

This isn't a great line but it isn't terrible.

Wilson was never going to be as great here as he could be under an offensive coach. He probably would have had greater success, both playoff and otherwise, on another team in another city with another coach. But he signed another deal here, so past that point much of this is really his fault at this point.

If he doesn't like the numbers, those are the numbers you get in a Caroll controlled offense. Lots of sacks is part of it, as a consequence of long-developing routes. That might be Wilson's fault, it might be Carroll's but either way this is what Wilson playing for the Seahawks looks like but for that one year.

It probably isn't changing unless Wilson forces it.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• They got absolutely dominated on both sides of the line in the playoffs. Pete's blatant refusal to adapt is maddening, to say the least.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Russ also lobbied for signing Olsen last off season. That was a waste.

Also quality O-line don't grow on trees, so unless they draft one with the very little capital they have, is Russ willing to restructure his contract?
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• Wonder if Russell has ever wondered if the reason his O-line is crap every year is because he's soaking up 25% of the cap space.

Give us the Brady discount Russ, and that's 10-15M more to put into the line, you know...........so you can run around more and take unnecessary sacks and intentional grounding penalties.

Just love these "Russell's camp says............" crap he pulls seemingly every off season. For what purpose? To shame the FO publicly to get what he wants? You'd think he'd talk directly to Pete and John if he was unhappy like a grown ass man.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Wonder if Russell has ever wondered if the reason his O-line is crap every year is because he's soaking up 25% of the cap space.

Give us the Brady discount Russ, and that's 10-15M more to put into the line, you know...........so you can run around more and take unnecessary sacks and intentional grounding penalties.

Just love these "Russell's camp says............" crap he pulls seemingly every off season. For what purpose? To shame the FO publicly to get what he wants? You'd think he'd talk directly to Pete and John if he was unhappy like a grown ass man.

cuz this team did so well with all their cap space last year

i dont see no one screaming for bobby to take a pay cut when this defense was on pace to be the worst in nfl history last season so they could be better
    misfit
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Wonder if Russell has ever wondered if the reason his O-line is crap every year is because he's soaking up 25% of the cap space.

Why does this take keep getting regurgitated? This is literally mathematically false. The Brady discount has literally never been 10-15m, it's been in the 3-4m range until this year when it was a little higher. Like I'm pretty sure someone once just made this take up completely out of thin air and everyone parrots it.

Here's how much more Wilson cost vs Brady since Wilson's rookie contract:

"2016: $4.8m
    2017: $900k
    2018: $1.7m
    2019: $4.7m
    2020: $7m"

Yes, proceed t respond with your lazy diarrhea about Brady's contract from 2006 or something

Edit: Source below, because basic math and Google search be real hard

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2019/
    ducks41468
    NET Veteran

• Russell Wilson missed easy throws all season and he made poor choices several times, the film does not lie!! Pete & John definitely have known for a few years RW’s feelings & didn’t care, the 2020 season proved John & Pete were right and RW is wrong!

RW is making this push to get out of the NFC West and into a division where the defenses suck! If the OL is really the issue RW should have done what Tom Brady did, help Seattle out with the Cap! Seattle could easily focus on the OL this year & RW knows that but RW doesn’t want to give Seattle a chance to do that.

RW is playing right into Pete & John objective which is to get rid of RW! RW has made it clear he doesn’t want to be in Seattle, there’s absolutely no way Pete would keep a player on his team that doesn’t want to be there!

If it were true RW thinks the OL is the issue RW would have criticized after Seattle acquired the players not before. Aaron Rogers is a perfect example, it’s was after GB drafted a round 1 QB, then after he got to see the new WR’s Rodgers got even more mad.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• The offensive line played much better last season, and it'll have a lot easier of a time in a derivative of the Shanahan zone run/play action WCO.

If this is the only way to keep Russ happy, consider throwing some money at Joe Thuney to solidify left guard. Brown, Thuney, Pocic, Lewis, Shell is a top-10 line.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• For reference: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020 ... e-rankings

14. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
    The Seahawks’ offensive line ranked 16th as a unit in pass-blocking grade this season. That may not appear all that impressive on the surface, but it’s the highest they’ve ranked in that area since Russell Wilson has been in Seattle.

That improvement is due in part to several members along the line taking steps toward the production Duane Brown has been able to put forth each year since joining the team in 2017.

Brown remains the leader of that group up front at 35 years old, fresh off his highest PFF grade (87.3) since 2011. He has been a model of consistency in pass protection over the years, with pass-blocking grades of 77.0 or higher in every season since 2011 on at least 400 pass-blocking snaps. The 2020 season was just another chapter in what has been an underrated career for the 2008 first-round pick.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• They got dominated up front, no they did not play fine when it matters.
    And Brady is married to someone who is worth half a billion. Yeah, it's SO tough for him to move his contract around.

And now Russ doesn't want to be in Seattle. Ok...... :?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Cyrus12 wrote:https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/09/russell-wilson-on-whether-hes-available-in-trade-thats-a-seahawks-question/?fbclid=IwAR1gLLPtuBix_TGbEg8Wb2dLftBh8YWTJhQthvxC4JX1jWSNRATcT0mkTio

Hmmmmm.....
    Yep. I saw this too. He wants more say in player personnel decisions as well. I don’t know - usually I laugh these trade rumors off. But where there’s smoke...

All I know is that the Hawks desperately need draft picks and more veteran talent in the trenches (which they currently can’t afford) and this regime has never been afraid of making big bold moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/09/russell-wilson-on-whether-hes-available-in-trade-thats-a-seahawks-question/?fbclid=IwAR1gLLPtuBix_TGbEg8Wb2dLftBh8YWTJhQthvxC4JX1jWSNRATcT0mkTio

Hmmmmm.....

RW thinks we’re idiots everybody knows he has a “no trade clause” Seattle can’t trade him unless he agrees! RW comments are a dead give away he’s a liar, he’s going to tell those kids in the hospital “sorry I have to go but the Seahawks traded me, if it was up to me I’d stay”
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• James in PA wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/09/russell-wilson-on-whether-hes-available-in-trade-thats-a-seahawks-question/?fbclid=IwAR1gLLPtuBix_TGbEg8Wb2dLftBh8YWTJhQthvxC4JX1jWSNRATcT0mkTio

Hmmmmm.....
    Yep. I saw this too. He wants more say in player personnel decisions as well. I don’t know - usually I laugh these trade rumors off. But where there’s smoke...

All I know is that the Hawks desperately need draft picks and more veteran talent in the trenches (which they currently can’t afford) and this regime has never been afraid of making big bold moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does RW know about running a football team? Has he ever hired a coach before? Has he ever drafted a player before? Has he ever built, coached, and won a National Championship? Built, coached, & won a Super Bowl?

RW is a NFL QB that likes to hang out with Hollywood types and pawn is BS perfume on naive people who think it will help their love life.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• iigakusei wrote:https://twitter.com/SandoNFL/status/1358999476568920064

Thank God no more screaming at Russ “TE is wide open! Throw the ball don’t you know the play you called”
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• The cracks in the foundation are showing!!!!
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• Wow, just when I thought I had seen the biggest Russ basher, a new champ rolls in.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• iigakusei wrote:https://twitter.com/SandoNFL/status/1358999476568920064

I counted 5 seconds after the snap before Russ took the sack. At 3 seconds, the TE was wide open in the flat.

Even the best O-line won't pass protect forever.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Wow, just when I thought I had seen the biggest Russ basher, a new champ rolls in.

RW deserves it & RW started it! There are many ways to move on and to another organization, I don’t like the way RW is doing it, throwing your OL under the bus is BS, O Lineman sacrifice a lot to be NFL O lineman and they have tons of health issues after the NFL career. RW spends years building his team mates up now he’s tearing them down. I didn’t like it when our star Defense did it our young QB RW and I don’t like it now. You would think RW would be conscious to what he’s doing.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• In 2019, Pro Football Focus released a statistic stating that since 2012, Wilson has been pressured on 40% on his dropbacks.

FORTY. PERCENT.

And the response, in a league with QBs like Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Watson and Murray holding onto the ball is "well read defenses, get rid of the ball quicker."

The man's own fanbase wants less for him than the rest of the league Haha
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Why wouldn’t he be unhappy with the oline?! It’s their job to protect him. Yes, some of the sacks can be attributed directly to Russ. Currently there is one guy on the line that we can most likely predict will be here another three years...Lewis. That’s the RG, in a league where your tackles are paramount to success. Brown is still upper echelon in the league but really for how much longer. Huge question marks remain at center and left guard. Shell was an upgrade at RT but was his play in 2020 as good as he can be?

I’m sure Russ isn’t the only one unhappy with the oline. Pete and John have to be just as frustrated as the rest of us. The funny thing is, this 2020 line was a big improvement over the last 3-4 years. I hope they have a longer term plan than what we saw last offseason in regards to building the line. It obviously can’t be done overnight. Perhaps if we look at last years offseason as the beginning of the oline rebuild, then we can have hope for the future and Russ, Pete, John and the rest of us will no longer be unhappy.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• Just classic. A new low. Maybe we can look forward to 23 more Russ is Satan threads in the next few weeks.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Next

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:50 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information