DK way underutilized

seabowl

Reaction score
Is it me or we are just not utilizing the unique skill set and size of Metcalf? He literally towers over the DB’s and runs faster than probably all. I would be force feeding him the ball which will also open up other options like TE’s which we also don’t throw to.

I know this is all dependent on a line that can block which seems iffy right now but just throw him the Gdamn ball (more)!!!

sutz

Reaction score
Meh, he gets a lot of double teams and shadow coverages. To Russ's eyes, he's not open that often.

Hell, he had 4-5 catches for 60 yards Sunday, that ain't hay.

We're doing well with spreading the ball around. I like that. That way, the defense doesn't know who is up next.

hugecanoli

Reaction score
He needs to get his hands right.

PC plays not to lose football and you cannot drop balls that are in your hands and expect to be elite. We need him to make those plays, especially with this style of play.

I saw him on the SNF intro song bit last night and thought that this dude needs to work on fundamentals before he lets all this get to his head.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
yep dropped two balls today. He needs to keep working on his craft. He's not elite yet

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I get the drops issue but he should be getting more attempts. This is a 8-12 catch per game wr all day.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would like to see DK lining up more in the slot and running middle of the field routes, and not just outside.

So underutilized? Hard to say when he's now getting the other team's #1 corner and being double teamed a lot (or bracketed). But that doesn't mean Waldron shouldn't be trying to get more creative on his routes, slot, screen game, etc.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Given his pure physicality, it seems like DK would be a complete beast on contested catches. But unless my eyes deceive me he really isn't. He seems to do best when he uses his speed and size to create separation. I think they'd have to target him on more shorter routes for his catch numbers to really jump.

When he pouted last year and RW forced the ball to him, it didn't end too well.

sutz

Reaction score
seabowl":19wgp1sc said:
I get the drops issue but he should be getting more attempts. This is a 8-12 catch per game wr all day.
So you want half or more of attempts to go to DK? :34853_doh:

This isn't that kind of offense. DK would be better served by reducing his drop rate. In this offense, 30 pass attempts would be a lot, and we have several other really good targets, so in a game where DK gets the dropsies, the OC/Russ will go elsewhere. :229031_shrug:

Mizak

Reaction score
Trade him to Vikings for Justin Jefferson. That dudes wayyyy better than DK.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":hqlizw81 said:
Love me some DK, but he absolutely HAS TO catch those 2 passes. Period.

Agree. Force feeding him the ball will just add to the 3 and outs until he starts to reel in those clutch catches that Locket makes routinely.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
My own experience is that you either have soft hands or you don't.

If you get to this level, done this much work, you probably have the hands you have.

When you are in HS your coach might have you tossing eggs or bricks to learn how to catch (I doubt they let you toss bricks anymore, but who knows).

There can be some changeover with drops like happened to that kid playing on the Bengals, who looks decent now but looked terrible in preseason because he was getting used to the ball. But it feels like a bit of a pipedream to expect DK to just get better hands, even with tons of time with the JUGS machine.

DK is going to drop balls. You have to expect that sometimes that it will be a homerun or sometimes a drop. It seems to be primarily in traffic, he hasn't dropped that many open shots. So it MIGHT be a concentration issue (which is fixable) or it might be that his hands are easy to disrupt by the defender.

I don't like all these sideline patterns AT ALL.

Would also like to see passes to him without him standing still, since he take a bit to get up to speed. The short passes are fine with some momentum, but for some reason we love to throw to him with blockers in front of him but no momentum at all.

But to expect that DK will just become a reliable target is asking a bit much. He has a ton of physical gifts, we need to give him more chances to catch the ball while moving that are not just low % long balls. But we need to accept that he isn't going to catch everything thrown to him, and be able to work with it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Jerry Rice had major drop problems early in his career. We have seen that DK can be spectacular. Having good hands, and consistently is something I suspect he will work hard on. He wants to be an all time great, and that's what you want from a WR.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sometimes it's as simple as thinking about your move before you have controlled the ball, he may not be used to that in the middle of the field and knowing there is a defender somewhere. That will take some practice, also throwing to him while he is moving, but not into a defender would really make best use of his skills.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":14heoghx said:
Jerry Rice had major drop problems early in his career. We have seen that DK can be spectacular. Having good hands, and consistently is something I suspect he will work hard on. He wants to be an all time great, and that's what you want from a WR.

^ Yep, he'll come around, just ask Matt Hasselbeck about what he sees in DK's future. :vodka:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If people can't see how hard DK works and/or how much he is obsessed with being great, they never will.
He has made so many clutch plays for this team, I don't want to dwell on the drops too much. It's not something I'm ignoring, I just believe he will get better every year as a complete WR. He is fully aware of what he needs to work on.

hangumhi

Reaction score
Dropped passes are his Achilles heal. However I do think there's not enough effort to get him open. I'd like to see more craftiness with rubs, floods and motions to try to get him open.