0-4 in Preseason

MrThortan

Reaction score
Falcons, Cowboys, Titans and Seahawks all went 0-4 this preseason. Lions, Dolphins, Jets, Eagles, Redskins and 49rs went 1-3. Not the best company.

Like others have said, I think we have a depth issue, especially on defense. Let's hope we have a healthy regular season this year.

AdamL0030

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1f6cyfg1 said:
Cyrus12":1f6cyfg1 said:
A lot of teams have gone 4-0 in the pre season and went on to have terrible reg seasons.

Detroit or maybe it was the Browns were 4-0 in the preseason and 0-16 in the regular season . Preseason record means nothing.

Both did. 2008 Lions and 2017 Browns. 0-4 preseason pretty much guarantees 18-0.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3lnf5qtp said:
Cyrus12":3lnf5qtp said:
A lot of teams have gone 4-0 in the pre season and went on to have terrible reg seasons.

Detroit or maybe it was the Browns were 4-0 in the preseason and 0-16 in the regular season . Preseason record means nothing.
It were both. They both had 4-0 then they went to have winless seasons.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1gnzouu0 said:
Cyrus12":1gnzouu0 said:

Agree 4-0 doest really mean anything but 0-4 does. Non win pre season games kinda say,,,,you are not that good. Personally I am just going to take any win we have this season as an acomplishment. This is a good thing as oppsosed to ,,,,,,welll we were supossed to win that game. Now,,,,,, nothing is for granted and every win will be nice.

Should be a fun season.

AdamL0030

Reaction score
AdamL0030":1elfrlva said:
Northwest Seahawk":1elfrlva said:
Cyrus12":1elfrlva said:

Both did. 2008 Lions and 2017 Browns. 0-4 preseason pretty much guarantees 18-0.

Oops... I guess 19-0 is the magic number for the NFL Natty, but you get the picture.

NINEster

Reaction score
Some good points here, but consider some more.

What does it take to win football games usually?

Strategy. Tactics.

My guess to why we had two 4-0 preseason teams go 0-16 in regular season is probably because the coaches knew their team was s**** and felt they had ramp it up on that end and not be a total disaster.

I think the Niners were dominant in the preseason under Singletary. They were able to go 8-8 with the guy the year before he was fired mid-season, so clearly he had what it took to lead a great preseason. :lol:

Now if you withhold the great plays, keep things basic then you're setting yourself up for the regular season better.

Looking at backups far more than starters is a better strategy too for tweaking that 90 down to a 53.

Playing them very little to none like the Rams, I'm not so sure about that strategy. That's probably too little.....might hurt them.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Too many starters sat out pre season to state that that 0 and 4 team represented the 2018 Seattle Seahawks. But then again you can say that about the Rams, Raiders, and other teams.

Steve2222

Reaction score
As most have mentioned, our 0-4 preseason record is due in large part to our Top 5 Worst backup QB play. It’s easy to go 4-0 when in previous season you had Wilson and Trevone Boykin tormenting scrubs and a seasoned vet in TJack.

Teams who have preseason success start with great QB depth.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Game four is our back ups vs their backups. So we are measuring depth here and in a way comparing apples to apples.

Depth is important and given our propensity to constantly deal with injuries then our depth matters. In that regard then, the preseason matters, and it's scary for us.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
It says our depth sucks IMHO you really aren’t going anywhere without depth in this league

cymatica

Reaction score
The refs absolutely hosed the end of the vikings game. I'm counting that as a win

xray

Reaction score
Coach Carroll will see 0-4 as some kind of good thing.
What it looks like is lack of depth everywhere except RB.
7-9 maybe 8-8 season if things go well.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The reason that there is a lack of depth in the secondary is because the depth is now the starters. 0-4 in the preseason will be completely forgotten about in a few weeks...unless they start out the season 0-3/0-4. If that happens this board will be on full meltdown.

An 0-4 preseason can certainly happen because your team is not very good. I’m not convinced that this is the reason for this teams 0-4 preseason record. I also don’t think that they are primed for a special Super Bowl season. I do believe they willl surprise many people and finish strong. I expect them to have a winning season.

With a team like the Seahawks are right now, they needed to give lots of reps to young untested guys. There were a number of projected starts that were held out or not able to participate. There are new coaches implementing new schemes and ideas. Teams do not game plan for preseason games. They work on the things that they want to do in the regular season. Preseason games are nothing more than practice games.

As fans we want to see our team have more points on the board than our opponents as the clock strikes zero no matter if it’s pre, regular season or the playoffs. Coaches have an agenda to try different things in different situations, to see different players in different situations.

It’s the end of the preseason. The record means nothing. The meaning comes in who makes the final 53, who they sign to the practice squad, how they feel about the areas of concern that they worked overtime during the off-season to fix, how they feel about the personnel that they will rely on in games that count in games that they actually game plan for the opponent.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it was Detroit who went 4-0 in preseason and then went on to go winless in the regular season. But for the most part, I think preseason is strongly indicative of how a team is. I just keep thinking about the 2016 preseason. The defense, particularly the starting unit, was abysmal during those four games. Tons of people thought Kris was keeping it close to the vest, not wanting to show anybody anything, but anyone with two eyes could see the glaring deficiencies in his scheme.

So yeah, I am a little worried. The starting offensive unit appears to be solid, but the defense, particularly the depth, is a MAJOR issue. Northwest Seahawk is 100% right, not one single turnover in four preseason games is a problem. It's a big problem. I'm not a fan of Ken Norton being back. Yes, it's cool seeing him blitz often, but his defenses in Oakland the last few years were bottom barrel, and they were among THE WORST at generating turnovers. Again, anyone with two eyes and some football understanding can see the point.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2ulkp03w said:
First time in franchise history. It doesn’t feel good.
You obviously weren’t a fan during the early nineties or you have a very bad memory. :p

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":q2pdrbny said:
Yeah, I think it was Detroit who went 4-0 in preseason and then went on to go winless in the regular season. But for the most part, I think preseason is strongly indicative of how a team is. I just keep thinking about the 2016 preseason. The defense, particularly the starting unit, was abysmal during those four games. Tons of people thought Kris was keeping it close to the vest, not wanting to show anybody anything, but anyone with two eyes could see the glaring deficiencies in his scheme.

So yeah, I am a little worried. The starting offensive unit appears to be solid, but the defense, particularly the depth, is a MAJOR issue. Northwest Seahawk is 100% right, not one single turnover in four preseason games is a problem. It's a big problem. I'm not a fan of Ken Norton being back. Yes, it's cool seeing him blitz often, but his defenses in Oakland the last few years were bottom barrel, and they were among THE WORST at generating turnovers. Again, anyone with two eyes and some football understanding can see the point.

Agree and but disagree a bit...

Yes, the defense did not create any turnovers (did create a lot of pressure on the QB though) and yes, probably right to be concerned.

But the preseason record doesn't mean much. The starters were in every game and leading (and quite comfortable after a shaky start) at Super Bowl contender Minnesota, who left their starters in for 3 quarters.

They were leading when they left the field against Indianapolis, didnt play against the Raiders and were struggling but not terrible against San Diego.

For me, it's more reflective of the inexperience of the players. And that might make for a rocky season, or some high scoring games.

But the "record" itself is quite meaningless. Could say the starters were even 2-1 in their brief stints out there.

People are talking about the Seahawks, nationally. Hearing a bit of it here and there, stuff like "don't sleep on the Seahawks." Could be sneaky good, could be as bad as it seems. Think the point is that it's a team that's hard to figure at the moment

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Pete certainly didnt want to start 0-4. He has said many times in the past that always compete rings true in the pre season also. That's bad but what gives me hope is that I dont believe Schottenheiner opened the playbook. I think he was keeping a lot under wraps and that offense is going to surprise some people. I hope!

rjdriver

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3njrmroq said:
Coug_Hawk08":3njrmroq said:
First time in franchise history. It doesn’t feel good.
You obviously weren’t a fan during the early nineties or you have a very bad memory. :p

It is the first time in franchise history we are winless in the pre-season. Please don’t give me flash backs of the early nineties. (Unless we are talking about Tez). ;)

Ramfan128

Reaction score
rjdriver":dja1tcj3 said:
The Rams were one point away from going 0-4 as well.

Of course, I don’t think they ever played their starters.

Technically five points.

For some reason I watched most of the game last night, wondering how we won two preseason games without playing several important starters. But the main reason is that the Raiders game they didn't play many either.