10 am games

253hawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":25bqcs7d said:
253hawk":25bqcs7d said:
The playoffs were really stupid. Let's have a west coast team play at 10 AM in sub-zero weather while the Packers play the Redskins in D.C. at 4:40 PM on the same day.

You know what solves that problem? Not blowing games to the Rams, Bengals and Panthers.

Win the division and get a Top 2 seed and this isn't an issue.

So we have to finish #1 or #2 in the conference (no small feat) to guarantee something that central/east coast teams will always get, no matter if they finish as low as #6. At worst, they have to travel westward and start 1-3 hours later. A lot easier to take a nap with the extra time than to screw up your sleep schedule trying to go to bed earlier and waking up earlier.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":ebrgoq3r said:
Hasselbeck":ebrgoq3r said:
253hawk":ebrgoq3r said:
The playoffs were really stupid. Let's have a west coast team play at 10 AM in sub-zero weather while the Packers play the Redskins in D.C. at 4:40 PM on the same day.

You know what solves that problem? Not blowing games to the Rams, Bengals and Panthers.

It should never be an issue. Why do the Seahawks/Rams/Niners/Chargers/Raiders have to worry about being assigned to 1 of the 4 playoff slots when the other 27 teams in the NFL will never have that same issue to deal with. Not only do these teams have to deal with a road game (as they should for not earning a home game) but in addition being placed into the Sunday early game slot provides a 2nd disadvantage. Of course, the Seahawks then had to do this back to back last year as well.

I am too lazy to look it back up, but someone did a fairly scientific breakdown on why it's harder to travel east than west for your body's circadian Rhythm.

Bingo, every time some hardo hits home the blown game I point that out aswell. Why do we and other west coast teams have the bbuilt in disadvantage.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Only reason, it continues, is no one makes a big deal about it. Until someone does, it's going to stay that way. We as fans should make a stand..

10 am Games matter.. you know, for the worse.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
seen here: http://nesn.com/2016/09/nfl-week-4-tv-s ... est-games/

screen-shot-2016-09-28-at-1-31-49-pm.png

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":326vy3sw said:
gowazzu02":326vy3sw said:
253hawk":326vy3sw said:

Because the NFL has decided east coast teams should have every possible competitive advantage.
FIFY

This is worth a :ditto:

and a :229031_thewave:

and a :domotwak:

LolaRox

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3sr62x73 said:
EverydayImRusselin":3sr62x73 said:
Hasselbeck":3sr62x73 said:
253hawk":3sr62x73 said:

It should never be an issue. Why do the Seahawks/Rams/Niners/Chargers/Raiders have to worry about being assigned to 1 of the 4 playoff slots when the other 27 teams in the NFL will never have that same issue to deal with. Not only do these teams have to deal with a road game (as they should for not earning a home game) but in addition being placed into the Sunday early game slot provides a 2nd disadvantage. Of course, the Seahawks then had to do this back to back last year as well.

I am too lazy to look it back up, but someone did a fairly scientific breakdown on why it's harder to travel east than west for your body's circadian Rhythm.

I'm not sure it has to be scientific, try waking up 3 hours earlier one day, and 3 hours later the next day.

See which one you operate better with.

Yep and then do it after a 5 hour flight.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
a west coast team traveling east for an early game gives the jets a great chance to get a lead early before they adjust

too bad they tend to start slow.

the kid chrstine looked very good from what I saw, quick and shifty, they need to deal with him

LOL, even east coast fans acknowledge the time difference,

This from NY jets forum site.

Osprey

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1zq8fpmr said:
The NFL has stated they like to limit the 1pm pst games because they want to force eyeballs onto the national broadcasts. Bigger number means more they can charge fox and cbs.

As fans we all focus on the competitive advantage angles first whereas the NFL is looking at business issues.

I have to believe Gowazz is correct, it's all about the marketing strategy. The NFL wants to maintain itself as a national product vs. a regional niche. Sure we all have our teams, however, I'm willing to bet that the average NFL fan watches a higher percentage of games not involving that team then does the average MLB or NBA fan.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Osprey":1p8qzyeq said:
I'm willing to bet that the average NFL fan watches a higher percentage of games not involving that team then does the average MLB or NBA fan.

I would say the NBA is close, but everyone and their grandma playing fantasy football makes the claim correct. We'll watch dog games on Thursday night if we have players going on our teams.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I still don't understand why we don't practice on the week leading up to an east coast game like we're on an east coast schedule? Practices should begin at 10 PST so their bodies and minds can get accustomed to that routine. They could also practice early Friday, fly out after practice, get some sleep and then have the walkthru at 1 EST Saturday. That would be 4 days on that schedule. Is that crazy?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":wb13wewl said:
I still don't understand why we don't practice on the week leading up to an east coast game like we're on an east coast schedule? Practices should begin at 10 PST so their bodies and minds can get accustomed to that routine. They could also practice early Friday, fly out after practice, get some sleep and then have the walkthru at 1 EST Saturday. That would be 4 days on that schedule. Is that crazy?

I've always thought this as well. Do everything possible to acclimate the players to the time and conditions of their upcoming game. Coaches too.

I remember reading Carroll was having some 10 am practices either in previous years or in camp but I don't think he maintained the schedule. And I've always thought they need to fly out to the east coast much earlier if possible.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2sie1t4e said:
Bobblehead":2sie1t4e said:
One of the things that make posting in the NET difficult is he quality of posters and their posts.. they are all for the most part incredibly good, clear and concise. I on the other hand tend to muddle my thoughts on paper and am frequently unclear. I'm sure I've been pretty unclear about my responses as well and for that I apologize. That said maybe I just misunderstood, which happens frequently as well, but the way I see it, east coast teams coming to the west coast never play a 10 am game, their games will be shown after 4:00 pm East coast time, so there is no morning games for them.

I mess up too so no worries, and I'm trying to understand you.

And yes that's true east coast teams never come out here and play 10:00am games, cause that'd be 7:00am on the east coast.

Bottom line, you can't swap cause 10:00am west coast is 7:00am east coast. That's why the NFL does the only fair thing, 1:00pm east coast/10:00am west coast and 4:00pm east coast/1:00pm west coast.

We're talking what's fair, and as long as the travel schedule for both coast teams is relatively fair over time, that's what matters.

I think you mean a hypothetical 10 am pacific game would be 1:00 eastern time. I don't believe the league has ever scheduled 10am pacific games at a pacific site before and likely never will but it would certainly be interesting if they occassionally did. Can you imagine breakfast tailgating at 7 am haha?

I think what most fans would want to see is just a better selection of the afternoon slot games (4pm eastern, 1pm pacific). So often the so-called fox game of the week is a blowout early so it's time to go outside and rake and haul leaves. I understand the concept of the NFL wanting the nation to tune in to these nationally broadcast games, but fans would probably like to see about 7-8 early games and 5-6 afternoon games as opposed to 10-11 early and 2-3 afternoon.

Latest posts