10 Years Ago Today!

Parallax

Reaction score
Great memories. 2014 is hard to remember but 2013 sure was special.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I was sure it would last at least one more year possibly two and we'd be talking about a dynasty in the PNW, but it sadly ended at one.

We all did. Hard to complain about getting to experience our first SB win, and in one of the most epic beatdowns in NFL history with a historical defense.

As an old Hawk fan from day one, it washed away almost 40 years of frustration and disappointment.............and for that I will forever be grateful.

Rat

Reaction score
Given the billions this franchise has put into the pockets of cardiac doctors in the past three decades, it's kind of surprising that our Super Bowl victory was so anti-climatic. Guess the football gods felt like we had gone through and decided to let us enjoy the day from beginning to end.

That 2013-14 Seahawks team is basically unanimously considered the best team of the 2010s. I wonder how many decades had a team you could say that about?

Parallax

Reaction score
Given the billions this franchise has put into the pockets of cardiac doctors in the past three decades, it's kind of surprising that our Super Bowl victory was so anti-climatic. Guess the football gods felt like they had done enough.

That 2013-14 Seahawks team is basically unanimously considered the best team of the 2010s. I wonder how many decades had a team you could say that about?
It's hard to compare eras and the salary cap made it harder to hold together a dynasty. The fact that the Hawks came close to winning twice in a row is testament to how great those teams were. Seattle finally got a taste of Superbowl success and it was sweet. It's a shame we didn't hold onto that longer.

Pete Carroll deserve credit for helping to bring that team together and also blame for poor management of its resources. I'm not typically one to blame coaches when things go awry because it's too easy and, frankly, lazy and usually unfair. But that final call in the 2014 Superbowl is hard to understand. When you have a weapon like Lynch right there and you go with a trick play . . .

I think the loss would have gone down easier if we had lost running our best weapon and our best play.

Then the Max Unger trade was hard to fathom. Particularly when you had no clue how to use Graham. That was first class malpractice and the beginning of the end. The Percy Harvin trade struck me as pretty dumb too but it wasn't too much to overcome. The truth is Pete made a lot of terrible trades. Adams was horrible. Williams was what finally, irrevocably left me feeling like Pete had to go. A second and a fifth for a ten game rental of a solid veteran? A guy I'd like to re-sign if he'll sign at a reasonable price. But it was clear this wasn't the year it would get us to the promised land. Maybe it could have gotten us into the playoffs but we weren't going far. Pete couldn't be so blind or so stupid not to see that, so I'm thinking he was out to save his own skin. Which is shameful.

The guy should have ridden off into the sunset sooner. Then, we'd only have love for the guy. Wish he hadn't set fire to so much of his legacy. He still is the most successful coach we've ever had and the guy who got us our first and only Superbowl win. For that I'm grateful, and I don't really want to see him around Lumen anytime soon.

hoxrox

Reaction score
It was glorious. I worked in an office in the Bay Area full of 9er fans during the height of that rivalry.

Sure there was some jealousy but most of them had nothing but good things to say after that game. They just had to respect the sheer dominance they witnessed that day.

Parallax

Reaction score
It was glorious. I worked in an office in the Bay Area full of 9er fans during the height of that rivalry.

Sure there was some jealousy but most of them had nothing but good things to say after that game. They just had to respect the sheer dominance they witnessed that day.
That's how I felt when Brady won his last Superbowl. Really wanted the game to end differently but sometimes you just have to doff your cap.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I was scared the fix was in for Manning and the best offensive team in history. This was the game where Manning showed his regression and he threw up several ducks. Looking back it was basically over after the safety...Denver never stood a chance!

Rat

Reaction score
Then the Max Unger trade was hard to fathom. Particularly when you had no clue how to use Graham. That was first class malpractice and the beginning of the end. The Percy Harvin trade struck me as pretty dumb too but it wasn't too much to overcome. The truth is Pete made a lot of terrible trades. Adams was horrible. Williams was what finally, irrevocably left me feeling like Pete had to go. A second and a fifth for a ten game rental of a solid veteran? A guy I'd like to re-sign if he'll sign at a reasonable price. But it was clear this wasn't the year it would get us to the promised land. Maybe it could have gotten us into the playoffs but we weren't going far. Pete couldn't be so blind or so stupid not to see that, so I'm thinking he was out to save his own skin. Which is shameful.
I know John is still here and Pete isn't, but as a fan base, I hope we're not going to get to a point where John gets all the credit for our managerial successes while Pete gets imputed for all the failures.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Leading up to the game, I kept telling folks that I was predicting a 48-10 Seattle win. Everyone said I was just a crazy homer. There is no way that Seattle would hold that offense to 10 points. I told them that the Donkeys had played a cupcake schedule that year and that they had no idea what was coming for them. Well, it didn't take long for everyone to see that a blowout was in store. I seem to remember some reporter AFTER the game saying that he had been on the field before the game and that it was the first time that he had seen the Seahawks in person. He said that he knew that Denver was in BIG trouble when he saw just how big and fast Seattle was.